A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

ex Axolotl/OptumInsight/Ingenix/UHG MTs please read - ME

Posted: Jul 10, 2013

2 MTs are filing a TAA petition.  3 are needed to apply online ourselves.  

It is just a petition, nothing against the employer and, if nothing comes of it, at least we stood up to let the federal government know we are losing our jobs to overseas and due to technology.  You would think we could get some help as IT people, auto industry, and many others do get assistance when their jobs are lost.  

It would be an interesting statistic to see how many MTs in this country have actually lost their jobs due to this.  I for one would like a percentage, because, if MTStars is any indication, weren't there over 40,000 MTs at one point coming to the site?  That was a figure from years ago, where they now boast some 20,000.  

Please consider joining the petition.  

Trade Adjustment Act includes:  

The Trade Adjustment Assistance (Trade Act) Program is a federal program that provides a path for employment growth and opportunity through aid to US workers who have lost their jobs as a result of foreign trade.  In order to be determined entitled and eligible for Trade Act you first must be covered under a certified petition. To file a petition you can follow the link below, and file on line or go to your local One Stop Center, where a TAA Counselor can assist you. The link to file a petition online is: (https://www.etareports.doleta.gov/petition/index.cfm?reset=true). "

PS - ME

[ In Reply To ..]
From the website: Once a petition is certified by USDOOL you will need to file an application with NYDOL and be determined entitled and eligible for Trade Act.

(I am in NY, but I guess it means your own state DOL)

Question.. Would this also apply to those of us - who have decreased

[ In Reply To ..]
pay and less available work due to outsourcing overseas? Or only if you job has been eliminated entirely?

it would seem only if you lost your entire job - ME

[ In Reply To ..]
...you could always email them, because I got a response immediately.
TAA - Tess
[ In Reply To ..]
Four years ago MedQuist MTs were covered under this. Good luck to you.
medquist mmodal still has an active petition - scoundrals
[ In Reply To ..]
Nm

supposedly at mmodal some have gotten it for - decreased work or pay

[ In Reply To ..]
I think every MTSO should have a TAA petition as they all have cut pay and decreased our work volumes due to offshoring.
decreased work - agree
[ In Reply To ..]
I agree. It seems that you can be eligible if your work has decreased because of outsourcing or technology. Nuance needs this.
good, I hope so - - ME
[ In Reply To ..]
that would be great for all those MTs as well. There is no harm in trying...
I'm for it. I hate having to start over!~ - Pollyanna
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm willing to do it. A lot of us invested quite a bit of time with these companies that do that, and I spent a lot of time at Axolotl/Ingenix/Optuminsight/United Health. I truly believe if the company had not been sold to a huge company that has absolutely no transcription department other than Axolotl then the company would be doing okay. What would a company as large as United Health Group want with a small transcription department? It's a sad fact, but I definitely would like to petition. On the petition, do you have to have the info of the other ones who are petitioning? Email me if you would like.
Sent you an E, and also am meeting with my TAA rep - ME
[ In Reply To ..]
on the 12th. She left a message we will file so that is good news. I will find out more info also at that time...

TY to all who responded!

petition - xx

[ In Reply To ..]
So, do you have the 3rd one? According to the instructions all 3 must be on one application. All others can be petitioner #1.

3 application names - xx

[ In Reply To ..]
I see under the FAQ that if you cannot locate 3 workers then the person at your local DOL office can file on your behalf.

my TAA representative is working on it - ME

[ In Reply To ..]
she will be getting back to me within 1-2 days. I'll post here what happens.. .

ME - xx

[ In Reply To ..]
Do you work for Nuance? I work for them and want to get the petition submitted to as I am over 50 and could use some help.
No I am sorry, do not - ME
[ In Reply To ..]
but if you can get a USDOL representative to help you, I dont think you need 3 people. Perhaps there are 3 others, however, where you work who would be interested..?

Interesting... - A MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Do you need to prove it was due to foreign trade? or technology? What if it was just the fact that the company lost large accounts, for whatever reason they left? Good Luck to you all, whatever comes of it. Hope you can benefit.

well, my reasoning is basically we all lost work - ME

[ In Reply To ..]
or hospital accounts because they most likely went with either companies that outsource overseas for cheaper rates, or due to technology.

this is only a petition anyway, I mean it has to be certified by a judge or someone who could find it not justified.

but if we file, it makes a statement to the government. perhaps they might stop continuing to have Medical Transcription on their list of courses the Department of Labor will tell you are still supported. I was even offered that in Workforce Development (?)

I am all for making a statement to the government! - A MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Again, good luck.

according to their website - xx

[ In Reply To ..]
It is reviewed and then investigated by contacting the company and perhaps even other employees to verify in fact that work is being outsourced overseas and/or technology is replacing workers, etc. Not by a judge but by the DOL. That's what I got out of it anyway as I quickly read the process of the petition.
Great, thank you for clarifying. - ME
[ In Reply To ..]
...keeping my fingers crossed.

ME would you please continue to post - A MT

[ In Reply To ..]
as your petition progresses? It may be valuable information to those who are still with the company but may, in the future, be laid off. In this business, the future is never secure.

Certainly. . . - ME

[ In Reply To ..]
whenever I get some information I can pass it on.

once a petition is filed, it is posted at the USDOL site for anyone to see anyway.

filed today. No indication one way or another - ME

[ In Reply To ..]
. . .it just has to go through the process. everything gets investigated -

I am not very hopeful really, but you just don't know if you don't try, right?

Thank you for the followup (nm). - A MT

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

she's got the whole world in her hands, she's got - the...

[ In Reply To ..]
-

ME--re TAA--filed used 3 people, me, myself and I!!! - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I would say that this 'team' who is handling this new department has heard about this field now. I had a nice guy call me back the same day. He said that the program is that you have had to have been separated from a company within the past YEAR. I told him how all the hospitals have laid off their departments to save money. He listened to everything, but too confusing to a lay person as to how the services make it so that you are terminated and you cannot prove that you were let go because of work being sent overseas. Maybe with Nuance or Medquist. Hard when they terminate you because they say you cannot do their 1500 lines and 200 per hour when you are having to look everything up that is considered "nonproductive time." And you have had an hour of training and have to read the manual! He did say that they are not looking at anything other than the company. He said it has nothing to do with performance and they are looking at the companies themselves. He said it was all on if the jobs are lost to technology and work being sent to foreign lands. But, these companies have been doing this for years now. Hope that this sheds some light on the unfair labor practices.

if it's not what they're looking into - then it'll go no further. - besides s/m

[ In Reply To ..]
what you told him, when I read it, comes off as MTs not good enough at what they do to handle the position in the first place.

farce.

question - did they record your call/interview? - passing through. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
v

He did not tell me he was recording. So, a government worker - would not lie

[ In Reply To ..]
Who knows. He seemed to listen, but he could have put the phone down also, for all I know. He said his job was to review the company and not the worker. His job was to see if the company. Like I said, the word Medquist and Nuance were names he seemed to know.
lol. they have to record anything they plan to follow up on and they need your permission. - its going nowhere. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
!

we were let go for 'job elimination' - ME

[ In Reply To ..]
perhaps that is different from your situation?

as I mentioned, it probably will NOT go in our favor; however, if they have enough complaints, they will be investigating all these companies - and it does mean something. Maybe not for us, but for future healthcare workers (?).

My rep said it was similar to the Ford plant - why would we be any different. the entire profession has been changed from outsourcing overseas and technology..

You would think we are the same but not. - MMI

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, I was always wondering how MTs fit into the scenario, as here I WAS told when we were laid off from the hospital that it was "good business" to have a service. The services get a kick back also because they call it keeping the 'foreign trade going.'

I just told him what I knew and how I thought it applied, but he said because I was laid off like 6 years ago, but that ALL hospitals in my area have no departments and they have all gone over to services and that most of them have Nuance, Medquist or Keystrokes.

He seemed to be aware of the names, so I would say that there have been a lot of others who have filed. He told me it did not apply since it has to be within the year. He told me that it also applied to the servies and that should I lose my job at the service, to resubmit. I explained to him my confusion yet I have over 40 years and worked many years in-house so how come now with the services it is such a huge hurtle. Naturally nobody understands, so maybe I just enlightened him for everyone who now files. They seem to be aware of some of the problems. They surely will know some of the names and maybe some of the dirty labor practices that are going on. The seed was planted, if not for me, maybe for some others, or the job itself.

Heard that there is monies to go back to school and learn something else. That would be a huge help also, and I think that is what this is all for.
I cannot agree with the assumption that because he knew those company names - a lot others must have filed.
[ In Reply To ..]
OMG, really? With the scope of Wall Street and the size of these corporations to whom transcription is a drop in the bucket on their vast menu of business services they provide, not to mention the monopoly of businesses acquiring other businesses (MT or not), yeah, he must know the names of these from the Weebles that wobble but don't fall down. Right.

and you're not in Kansas anymore Do'thy.

wasn't changed by outsourcing, choose your words wisely if you - are going to take it to the big boys sm

[ In Reply To ..]
it was changed by technology. Technology made sending overseas possible but without techonology it would not have been an option. Government welcomes this. They do nto condone companies moving off shore to use cheap labor, however.

I know you get it. But these people you are dealing with will probably see you as not knowing your A, B, C's, and then not credible on anything you bring up.

Umm...Ford didn't have their cars built online. BIG difference. Wondering myself now about your overall 'interpretation' of things.
firstly, the rep wasn't really interested in the details... - ME
[ In Reply To ..]

...she is only filing.  then an investigation will ensue, in which the company (and anyone involved I supposed) will be investigated.  

basically, the only thing I was able to tell the rep was that my pay and benefits are less than half what they were before outsourcing overseas and technology.  

whether or not it is due to technology solely is going to be up to them.  

of course, I am NOT going to be as smart as all the lawyers these companies have access to.  I am the little guy, the 'nobody'.  

but when we stand together:  

http://empirewealthbuilders.com/little-fish-eat-big-fish-in-my-money-making-pond/

we are the little fish eating the big fish, because together we make a HUGE fish.  

big fish

I'm not interested in any of tihs, certainly no longer impressed, so bye. - overallhappyinagoodplacewithlife .NM
[ In Reply To ..]
and that is an opinon - those are not open for debate.
good for you - - ME
[ In Reply To ..]
I am not sure why you are even posting. have I missed something here?

good luck to you, and continued happiness...
yes, you missed something here. holy cow. - NM
[ In Reply To ..]
zzzzzzz
I missed something as in - why do you bother posting - ZZZZZ
[ In Reply To ..]
zzzzz
please stalk someone else and go tell them what to do. - Thanks! NM
[ In Reply To ..]
luv ya, mean it.

disregarding some of the silliness posted here... - ME

[ In Reply To ..]
as an update, the investigation has started.

Similar Messages:

Is Anyone Else Concerned About Axolotl, Formerly Ingenix And Now Optuminsight??
Oct 11, 2011

I am sorry to bring this up here, but I just wanted to know if anyone else who works for Optuminsight, or Axolotl is concerned about where the transcription portion of the company is going?  I have noticed the workload has diminshed significantly since the takeover.  There have been people who have been there for a significant amount of time retiring or quitting.  Even the Optuminsight website says nothing about transcription nor does United Health Group.  The letter to the c ...

Anyone A Little Worried And Frustrated With The Ingenix/Axolotl Merge?
Oct 06, 2010

I have been with this company for a while now and completely loved Ax before this merger happened.  I just wondered if anyone else was feeling really stressed out and out of sorts because of all of the changes taking place?  So many things are up in the air.  Too much stress.  ...

Is Axolotl/OptumInsight Still In Business? The Transcription Part.
Jan 01, 2013

X ...

If You Were Laid Off From OptumInsight I Hope You
Aug 17, 2012

you are doing well.  I'm struggling a little today.  I hope the others have had time to catch their breath and go forward.   ...

Has OptumInsight Lost Some Accounts? I Noticed There Is
Jan 17, 2012

less and less work and fewer MTs.  Not sure what is going on, but the future doesn't look bright to me. ...

Axolotl MTs, Something Isn't Right
Mar 10, 2010

I don't know what is going on and as usual the communication sucks, but I'm more than a little concerned.  ...

Has Anyone Gotten Their W2 From Axolotl Yet? Nm
Jan 25, 2011

s ...

Axolotl?
Feb 10, 2014

I know they were bought out a few years ago but I heard through the grapevine United Health was getting rid of the whole transcription department is being let go this year. So sorry for those who will be affected if its true.   ...

Axolotl Or Transtech
Oct 31, 2009

Could somebody give me some info on these two companies, i.e., pay, benefits, work flow steadiness, management, etc.?  Thank's in advance! ...

Axolotl Transcriptionists
May 26, 2010

I wouIld like to know what your opinion is on M-modal.  Do you like it or not?  Is it helpful to you?  Are you being nit-picked to death about it? ...

Does Anyone Know If Axolotl Is Hiring?
Sep 01, 2010

There were positive posts about them in the past.  Don't know where they advertise when they do hire.    ...

Anyone Left At Axolotl/UHG?
Nov 04, 2013

They had layoffs a few months back.  Wondering if the transcription dept. is completely gone now or not. ...

What's Up At Axolotl These Days?
Mar 03, 2014

What's up at Axolotl these days?  Are you guys still on the job? ...

Axolotl - Anyone Else Losing Serious Money Here?
Mar 03, 2010

Is it only me or is anyone else losing serious money here?  for the past 6 months I have NOT been able to make more than 950 dollars a month take-home.  now with the new program my pay is even less.  Please, is this happening to anyone else or am I being singled out.  no matter what I do I cannot make more than 220 to 250 dollars a week in may paycheck, and am onily getting paid twice a month.  I am short about 6 hours with mmodal now.  IS IT JUST ME they are doing this to?  ...

Does Axolotl Have An Incentive Plan?
Jul 28, 2010

Hi--have seen mixed opinions about Axolotl from this board, especially lately. Considering switching from my current company as the M-Modal is awful and line count is suffering a lot because of it. What I'd like to know is: - Does Axolotl have an incentive plan based on lines produced? - Are full time employees required to work 40 hours a week and stick to a set-in-stone schedule, and are you required to work a weekend day? - Is there plenty of work to go around and i ...

How Are Things At Axolotl Since The Buyout? Nm
Nov 11, 2010

s ...

Axolotl - Anyone Know How This MTSO Is Doing Since The Buyout? (nm)
Jan 22, 2011

nm ...

United Health/Axolotl
Aug 06, 2011

Recently started with Axolotl (now part of United Health Group). I have 18 years experience and the account they put me on has to be THE WORST I have ever experienced, 99.9% horrible ESL's, on top of which their M*Modal platform is very, very slow. I have worked at other companies using M*Modal and did not find this to be the case with them. This account is VR and they pay by the hour because apparently the dictators and platform are so bad, an MT can't make any money by the line. Also ...

Got A Call From Axolotl Today About Interviewing
Sep 30, 2010

Got a call from Axolotl today about interviewing. Have heard good things in the past, but saw they were just acquired by another company. Any current employees with advice? Pay rates/platform? Is it straight MT or do they have VR also? Affordable benefits? Would appreciate any information. Comfortable(ish) at current job, would hate to leave and then have transcription phased out or pay cut. Thanks in advance for any info! ...

Looking For Axolotl/OI Employee To Sign Petition.
Jan 28, 2013

An ex-Axolotl/Optum Insight employee was looking for 3 others to sign a petition for TAA.  I didn't sign at the time, but am now interested in signing.  I've checked January archives and I don't see the post.  Archives showing Jan-Mar and not prior. ...

WELL SAID! ** READ THIS**
Oct 27, 2009

Found this in the Letters to Editor in AdvanceWeb.com. :   I feel compelled to voice my thoughts on the topic of credentialed MTs; the reason being I work with a fantastic group of MTs under my management. We work at a community hospital in a centralized setting; all departments dictate their patient records and we transcribe them. They are highly skilled, productive and accurate and simply the best staff to manage. Here are my thoughts. * Are Credentialed MTs better? If t ...

Re-read
Dec 11, 2009

Good Morning MQ-ville. I was reading a posting below, started yesterday "Whadayaknow" and there were a couple of responses to the posting that I think are worth you reading. We should all be much more PROACTIVE in the auditing process and ask questions or if we disagree, tell them we do!  We should also not take BS sitting down!  I agree that too many of us have just accepted being fed crap because we've begun to feel "beaten down". I also am 'MAD AS HELL AND NOT GOING TO ...

Read This
Feb 27, 2010

Check out this link.   http://www.medindia.net/health-press-release/Webmedx-Receives-Best-in-KLAS-Award-for-Outsourced-Transcription-for-2009-56883-1.htm ...

I Think I Read Somewhere On Here Before...
Mar 03, 2010

that Softscript doesn't pay for spaces.  Is that true or just a rumor?  ...

Oh My! This Is A Must Read!
Aug 01, 2010

Oh my gosh!  Open this article and read what is down below at the VERY BOTTOM LEFT OF THIS ARTICLE!  Somebody by the name of Kumar is asking a question about night shifts and the associated illegal activities that comes out of it.  Some of us are called the Y generation!   http://www.deccanherald.com/content/84978/indian-bpos-facing-huge-churn.html   CBaySystems VP - HR Sanjay Shanmugaum believes that, “the average attrition rate in the BPO sector is higher th ...

Please Read
Apr 30, 2011

in the MT Stars archives a post entitled "MT's and Unions, and past mistakes:".  This was posted on 11/23/10.  I am contacting various union representatives, among other things.  The most important thing is to get the word out as much as we can about the unfair policies on MT's by various companies.  I know it can seem futile, but I think if enough of us communicate long enough, someone has to listen.  Thanks. ...

Do Not Read This!!!!!
Oct 05, 2014

The older I get, the less able I am to tolerate these mush-mouthed, lip smacking, gum chewing, burping, toilet flushing dictators.  And those are the good ones that I've had lately which should give you any idea of how the rest of them are.  I so wish I could quit this lousy business altogether, but right now that's just not possible.  I will now get off the soap box and let someone else have their turn. ...

A Must Read For All MTs.
Mar 24, 2015

So relevant to what we are dealing with here at Nuance. http://www.fortherecordmag.com/archives/0315p18.shtml ...

Read This!
May 25, 2015

I just found out that a mail clerk, working in a mail room at a local company, earned more $$$ than I did last year!  QC with 30+ years' experience!  My God.  Nuance is killing me!  Cannot wait to say Goodbye :( ...

New MTs Board -- ALL READ
Oct 25, 2009

This particular board, the New MTs board, is devoted to assisting the newcomers to this profession.  It is here as a help, an assistance, a way to advise and mentor newbies.  It is NOT a place to slam, discourage, handslap or pick fights between newbies and experienced MTs.  We are not going to have an ongoing war or scuffles between the experienced MTs and the newbies or vice versa in regard to who should or should not be in this industry, who does a better job, who knows more, ...