A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

crackdown on all companies using ICs - mtsharon

Posted: Apr 12, 2010

http://www.parade.com/news/intelligence-report/archive/100411-a-crackdown-on-cheating-companies.html

Interesting article in Sunday's Parade magazine regarding crackdown on companies using ICs illegally. 

mtsharon - ICs - Nick

[ In Reply To ..]
Well, I just hope that every MT who has been exploited in this situation will report the companies. It is the only way we can get this cleaned up.

Crackdown on ICs - agreed

[ In Reply To ..]
I completely agree. Until we hold MTSOs accountable for unfair labor practices and hold technology vendors accountable for platforms and technology that does not work, our wages will only continue to get worse.

It is about time the IC issue was addressed. MTSOs - have been abusing this long enough. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Careful what you all wish for - Blueyes

[ In Reply To ..]
You all complain about being an IC and being treated like an employee. Who is forcing you to work for a company like that? Did you do it on your own free will? Did they chain you to your desk and force you to do it?

You know, you are the same people who complain about all of your jobs being sent over seas. Yet you set yourselfs up for exactly that. The profit margin in the medical transcription field is not such that many companies can afford to pay for full time, employee benefits. If you think you are going to force these companies to HAVE to do it, you are sadly mistaken. All you are doing is wrecking it for many other people out there who do want to keep their jobs. These companies may be forced to send their work overseas now because they will not be able to afford to pay employee benefits.

One other thing, you yourselves drive the MT wages down even farther. With all the other expenses employers may have to pay, they will be able to pay less per line. Do you think you are doing this for yourself, turning these companies into the IRS - think about it. All you are doing is making our wonderful government get even more rich. They could care less if you have a job 1 or 2 years down the road because now that company can no longer afford to be in business. That is all they are in it for. Do you think they REALLY care if you are getting treated like an employee - get real!

You are your own worst enemy and unfortunately what you do will affect the rest of the MT community. I do not support any of this.

For companies that treat IC's like employees, you did not have to work for them. Quit and find a company that respects your IC status fairly the way you want to be treated. Maybe someone else does not mind calling themselves an IC but yet working on a schedule as maybe they like the structure in order to be productive for themselves.

You keep complaining about everything but the reality is if YOU let someone treat you like an employee and you were an IC - that is YOUR fault. No one should have to step in and SAVE you. For crying out loud, quit whining about everything and don't work for them if you don't like them. YOu are in control of your own destiny. Turning everything into the government so these companies get all these fines is only going to hurt you in the long run. I think they call that "Biting the hand that feeds you!" Not very smart!!

Advice on reporting needed - IAMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Would you send a letter with the valid information to the U.S. Department of Labor or would you send it to the state the where the MTSO has its main office? or both? Any ideas? I hope every MT that has dealt with this IC status that really is employee situation will take the time to compose a letter. I bet it can be done anonymously. I have in the past, not currently, and sure will be writing a letter. We are not helping ourselves if we let this continue.

Advice on Reporting - Nick

[ In Reply To ..]
I would send it to the U.S. Department of Labor but also to the local branch of the IRS as well as to the Department of Business Regulation and the Tax Commission of whatever state you live in. Hit them hard.

I have looked into this before... - hithere

[ In Reply To ..]
and there is an actual form you have to fill out on the government website. It cannot be done anonymously. If you are an IC, keep in mind there will be back tax implications for you too as you have been filing your taxes as an IC and not an employee.

Thank you for the info on the form. - IAMT

[ In Reply To ..]
As I filed on a Schedule C and paid SE taxes, I doubt the implication for the difference of IC versus employee status is worthy of not reporting previous MTSOs incorrectly listing MTs as IC.

Similar Messages:

A Crackdown On Cheating Companies
Apr 10, 2010

I just bought the early addition of the Sunday paper, and interestingly enough, there is an article with the above-mentioned title on page 16 by Rebecca Webber.  It talks about the high percentage of jobs being created for contractors and consultants.  Unfortunately, many of these companies are misclassifying the workers as contractors when they are in fact being treated as full-time employees.  Sound familiar, ICs?  Obama has allocated 25 million to the Dept. of Labor to co ...

DOL Crackdown On Use Of ICs
Jun 04, 2010

http://www.tasb.org/services/hr_services/hrexchange/2010/May10/dol_crackdown_on_ind.aspx Here it is . . . ...

Govt Crackdown On IC Status
Jun 09, 2014

As the govt cracks down on employers claiming to offer IC status and IC status jobs going to be obsolete in the very near future, how many are willing to go to employee status with low pay and strict adherence to set hours ? ...

From A Dialup Employee Who LIKES 6.1, And I Am More Concerned Now About Crackdown On Required To Sen
Sep 15, 2010

Okay, enough already my dear friends and colleagues.   This "mutiny" has gone on far enough to long.   I was  very concerned because I am one of those who has dial up.   I am used to slow response time, and YES it has affected my production because of waiting.   So, I was very, very worried.  I did have to take my MQ computer to my parents and use their DSL to do the training and the download of the 6.1.   Support was great, they found ...

Always See The Companies To Stay Away From, How About Companies To Go To?
Oct 23, 2012

I see many warnings about bogus companies but I need help to steer me to a good company or at least a company that is fair, hiring and gives a fair entrance test.  any ideas?   ...

Which Companies Use
Oct 11, 2009

Escription or ExEditor VR?  TIA! ...

What Is With These Companies?
Dec 30, 2009

Can anyone answer me why is it that these MT companies hire you and they all promise you the sun, moon and stars.  Oh we have TONS of work. We guarantee you at least 11 accounts and 2,500 lines a day. Then you are sitting there 6 months later, waiting for jobs? I have experienced this many times. Can it be that its just bad management and they overhire? Does anyone know of a company that really does have TONS of work? I know this is the slow time of year, but many times its happened at othe ...

IC Companies
Mar 01, 2010

Are there any companies left who hire strictly IC status, and if so, pros and cons? Thanks! ...

Why Do Companies Who Don't
May 05, 2010

pay us hourly anymore anyway make us punch an electronic time clock?  What's wrong with sending simple timesheets like we did for years?  It has no effect on our pay whatsoever since we aren't hourly and is only to cover their butts regarding overtime, so why do they go through all the nightmare of eTime?! ...

Any Companies Who Do Not Use VR? (sm)
Jun 02, 2010

The company I work for has gone VR (on most jobs).  I cannot make any money doing this.  My pay has been cut approximately $150 to $200 every two weeks.  They have already taken away the incentives, and now if you screw up a couple of times on demographics, you do not get paid for the job, and the third or fourth time you are pulled from the account.  I am just so frustrated.  This VR is killing me.  It takes more time to make corrections.  It is frustrati ...

Can Anyone Tell Me What Companies
Jun 11, 2010

hire newbies and which ones are the best to work for?  A friend of mine wants to start transcription - god help her : -) ...

Companies For New MTs
Aug 18, 2010

Can someone please point me to reputable links or companies who hire new (recently graduated/just out of school)  transcriptionists?  I don't want to apply to companies that aren't good to work for! Who are ones that you know of who hire right out of school and are good to work for?  I need something!! I can't take it?  I feel like I have applied to every company that I have found on the Internet with no response! Sorry if I'm venting, but it's just g ...

Are There Any Companies That
Aug 30, 2010

nm ...

Companies That Do Not Pay!
Sep 01, 2010

Getting so tired of hearing this!  We need to start a list online where MTs can go to check.  Any suggestions? ...

Can Someone Tell My Why Companies Do This?
Sep 30, 2010

So, I see it all of the time, people on here complaining about no work, yet the company they are complaining about is HIRING.  My job recently did this as well.  I am day after day running out of work, but yet I see an ad that they are hiring!  I e-mailed the owner and asked about it and she didn't reply.  I UNDERSTAND that they are hiring for a different account, BUT, since it's all transcribing, why not just move some people around and give those extra accounts to ...

I Just Have To Wonder About Companies That Say
Nov 13, 2010

they want ICs and then say they need them to work certain days and hours.  Will this be a problem?  Umm, yes!  lol!!  Some things never change. ...

What's Going On With Some Of These Companies??
Jan 19, 2011

I got an email yesterday telling me that I didn't meet the quota of 10,000 lines for the last pay period... well, duh...  There is not enough work.  Today I get an email asking how many times I checked on a new account yesterday because they had issues and actually never went live at all.  I responded to the email and my supervisor emails me back asking me if I'm hourly or on production.  huh??????    No work this morning either... just sit ...

Do The Other Companies Out There Have This Much ASR?
Mar 25, 2011

This is ridiculous!  I just was rehired again after being away for 2 years and I'm thinking I made a mistake!  I want to know if there are any other companies out there that let you JUST TYPE!  Would love to hear from someone who has left and is working for a different company as I think I have one foot out the door!  ...

What Companies Use DQS?
Mar 29, 2011

x ...

Companies Using XP
Apr 29, 2011

Periodically, I will cruise the MT help wanted, and see some companies that list the system requirements as "must have XP."  My question is this:  I wonder if they mean must have at least XP or do they mean MUST HAVE XP.  I find it difficult to believe that any system out there only works with XP, as Vista has been around for a good long while and even Windows 7 (which I wish DocQ would update to) has been out for a bit.  I mean, it would be very difficult to find a computer ...

Companies That Still Use FTP?
Aug 10, 2011

I am in need of a company that still uses FTP where you download a bunch of work at once, work on it, send it back, repeat :)  If you know of anyone and do not wish to post it, please feel free to email me. Thank you very much. ...

Are There Any Companies That Pay
Sep 11, 2011

Any companies that pay a premium for RMT and then help you progress to CMT? I realize this is probably a long shot, just curious anyway. ...

Companies That Use DQS
Oct 08, 2011

Can someone tell me the name of a few companies that use DQS other than the Squid and DSG?  I worked both those places and would not go back no matter what! ...

HI! Does Anyone Know Of Companies That Use
Jan 15, 2012

xxx ...

Any Companies Allow MAC Use?
Feb 23, 2012

Experienced MT looking for PT work but currently have a MAC with dual operating system (VMware Fusion) or Windows on a MAC.  Any info on companies that allow this, if any, would be greatly appreciated!  My choice would be NOT to have to buy a new PC unless I absolutely have to!  Thanks! ...

I Have To Wonder How These Companies Think We
Apr 13, 2012

can make it on $15 a day!!  I just started a week ago yesterday and have also run out of work twice.  This is really pathetic.  I know some on here say they would never take such a low paying job (4 for editing and 6 for straight typing).  Had I not been desperate, believe me I would not have either.  I have to wonder what happened.  I know I will get a lot of answers to that question, but why in the world are we the ones getting such lousy pay?  I am seriously ...

All Companies Are The Same. They All Want You To
Apr 23, 2012

guess if you cannot understand something.  Oh they won't tell you straight out to guess, but that is what they want you to do.  It is the same ole blame the MT mentality.  If the ESL is horrible, do not dare ask them to speak better.  MAke the MT guess and if SHE gets it wrong, it is on HER head.  No thank you!!  God what I would not do to find something else:))) ...

Are All Companies Going To VR?
May 21, 2012

My pay has been cut by more than half and I'm working longer hours due to VR on most accounts.  Well, when I have work anyway.  Are there any companies that hire for straight typing any longer? How do people live on this work now? I had to come back to my verbally abusive husband due to no money and I was literally starving.  This is all I know, have been an MT now for 20 years.  What to do............ ...

What Gets Me About Certain Companies
May 25, 2012

is when they post an ad for help.  I send my resume clearly showing my experience for the job and they never even contact me, even putting up another ad.  This just gets me!! ...

Looking For Companies That Pay 8 Cpl
Jun 12, 2012