A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

What is with all of the dislikes.... - anon93

Posted: Oct 31, 2012

to the new job posting for an OB/GYN transcriptionist that pays 10 cpl for straight typing?  That line rate is almost unheard of these days, for sure.  Perhaps it is because they are requesting a Certified Medical Transcriptionist?  I see there have been over 200 "lookers" too, and probably just as many responses.  I don't see anything to "dislike" about the ad, at all.  I wish there were more like it!  well, good luck to all who applied. 

Some people are just never happy - no matter what. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Don't ASSUME. MTs are pretty SMART. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe it is just a WARNING. Look at it that way before you judge.

Question for the "dislike" posters... - Des

[ In Reply To ..]
Wouldn't it be worth it to get CMT in order to make 10 cpl, versus staying an MT and making 4 cpl or less?

It seems to me that an additional 6 cpl is well worth any CMT costs. So what if you don't like AHDI or think the CMT is credible. If it yields more money, what's the problem?

People paid and went to school to become an MT in the first place. School is always a gamble, but we had hope and were willing to work for it. This company's ad offers hope and more money in the future to those willing to invest and work hard. How is that different from investing in an education?
My apologies. I mean this to be under the OP's post. - Des
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
No comparison 10 to 4 anyway! VR is 4, NOT ST!! - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Sounds like the company posting this and comparing the 10 cpl to a 4 cpl and wanting a CMT. Ad states "straight typing" and only OB/GYN. Plus you have no idea how difficult the speaker is, but the 10cpl and IC equates to what after taxes? You are beating yourself up for the tax man. The 4cpl is for VR. This ad states nothing about VR. So, I would have to side with the 'dislikes' on maybe they know something

I dont agree with or support AHDI, so I am opposed to a company - who only hires CMTs

[ In Reply To ..]
The company should want an MT with values. If I get my CMT, I am not following my belief system. I would be taking my hard earned money and donating it to the demise of our profession. No thanks. That is why I disliked it.

Actually, companies who require AND pay for CMTs is a good thing. - Des

[ In Reply To ..]
It's the clients who have the power to value or devalue the CMT. If they start requiring it and are willing to pay for it, that'll rebuild MT credibility AND get the jobs back in the US.

It'll be like the US MTs being the high-quality name-brand product and the Indian MTs being the cheap generic brand product. Some clients will always want the cheap product, but some are still willing to pay for high quality.

You can get certified without being an AHDI member. I'm not saying AHDI doesn't have their grubby little paws in the CMT pie, but getting certified is a way to PROVE to clients that we know our stuff.

Clients and MTSOs are sick and tired of seeing a resume with lots and lots of experience, only to find out that that MT is ignorant, lazy, and undependable. I've personally worked with too many of these MTs and it's sickening.

Right now, there are tons and tons of MTs who are fantastic but just loathe AHDI, so aren't willing to get certified. We have to be better than AHDI. We have to do our part to bring credibility back to CMT and leave AHDI in the dust... unless, of course, they're willing to step off their self-appointed thrones and actually support the US MT again.

CMT is mostly bragging rights for a company... - been there

[ In Reply To ..]
companies I have worked for do not pay anymore for CMT versus MT and will reimburse only a portion of the cost for the material and test. I am one of the least lazy people in the world, but why would I go to all that trouble to have those letters when it only gives the company bragging rights to say a bigger percentage of their employees are CMT and does nothing to benefit me. So they can charge more but not give me anymore? No, I don't think so. I don't think doctors even know or care what is going on as long as the reports are correct. The ones who do care, they just don't know how the MT industry works.
As I said... - Des
[ In Reply To ..]
Clients/MTSOs who require AND pay for CMTs. I'm not talking about paying for the CMT itself; I'm talking about higher wages for CMTs versus MTs. Please read the OP's post. It's about a company who requires CMT and is willing to pay 10 cpl for it.
No higher - x-CMT
[ In Reply To ..]
Please, you seem to be a highly intelligent person, 10 cpl for straight typing on an IC basis is not paying for the CMT, it is paying for you to pay the taxes, and I believe it is a set schedule.
Exactly. That's how I felt when I read - agreed
[ In Reply To ..]
the job ad post as well. Who is a CMT anymore? I don't know anyone other than some QA MTs but most of them aren't either. I have been an MT since the 90s. I could be a CMT but still a horrible MT. CMT is old school.
certified - beentheredonethat
[ In Reply To ..]
Fear stops us. I too have struggled with getting certified versus not getting certified issue; we have the power to improve our status and pay; it's a win-win. And yes, you do have to be a member of AHDI to take the certification. I never went to school--I grand-fathered in because I started in the 70s. I'm seriously considering getting certified and would definitely recommend it to younger MTs.

Here's a list of the companies that care about MTs being certified. http://www.ahdionline.org/EducationTraining/CredentialsDesignations/WhoCaresIfYoureCertified/tabid/168/Default.aspx
link for CMT on the AHDI website - Des
[ In Reply To ..]
You don't have to be a member of AHDI to take the CMT. You just have to pay a $10 "eligibility fee" to AHDI before you can take the exam.
To Des regarding $10 fee - only if already are an RMT - beentheredonethat
[ In Reply To ..]
"MT Exam ΓΆ€“ Candidates with the minimum 2 years acute-care experience required for access to THE CMT WHO ALREADY POSSESS A CURRENT RMT CREDENTIAL should seek eligibility to take the CMT exam. Interested candidates should submit $10 eligibility fee through the AHDI online store.
CMT Pricing (3-hour exam session)
On-site exam, member: $200.00
On-site exam, NONMEMBER: $ 280.00
Online proctored (OLP) exam, member: $150
You need to re-read your own post. - Des
[ In Reply To ..]
Quote from your post: "And yes, you do have to be a member of AHDI to take the certification."

Like I said, you DO NOT have to be an AHDI member to obtain CMT, or RMT.
when the state comes up with a certification, I'll pay attention - AHDIs CMT was a waste of my med insurance pmt. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
-
Yep, you're right - my bad - beentheredonethat
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

10cents for a CMT and NO taxes taken out a good thing? - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Even 10 cents a line for an IC is what? After taxes and all, what is that? Also not probably minimum wage. YOU have to have all your equipment and then some. YOU have to pay the yearly fee to be a CMT and you have to travel and go to meetings...what at least 2 a year? Maybe if the meetings are over the internet and on YouTube like every other continuing education is nowadays.
I am a CMT and I do not travel and go to meetings - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, I have to pay the yearly dues. I get my CECs by reading the articles in the magazines (these are included in my dues) and taking the quizzes online. They also offer some webinars, some for as little as $10, although so far I haven't signed up for any of them.

Also, because I am a CMT, I get an extra 5 days of PTO every year. I pay my dues early, a savings of $10, so I pay $125 a year. I write this off on my taxes. For me, the increased PTO more than makes up for the annual dues, but I can also see why being a CMT isn't worth it for others.

I think a lot of it stems from bitterness and bad experiences. - Some dont know how to

[ In Reply To ..]
pick themselves up and move on or pursue happiness. Many are unhappy and wallowing in misery of what use to be, still stuck in what life was like as an MT 10, 15 or 20 yrs ago before voice recognition came along. And some may be just frustrated because they cant seem to find an MT job.

I dont get a lot of the dislikes on this board, but I assume it's because many are so unhappy and miserable.

Dislikes - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
Some people may be familiar with that company, perhaps they have a reputation for not paying people, it may be a head hunter trying to collect resumes. At the end of the ad it says "testing to be determined." To me, that sends up a red flag. An organized company should have a testing system in place. Just because something is advertised a certain way it may not be 100% true. I moved on to a non-MT job because after months and months of research I could not find a decent MTSO; they all looked good until I scratched the surface, and I could have had my pick of employers. My guess is that many others have had the same experience, hence the "dislike."

WHO are you to call a disliker an unhappy person because they have seniority? - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Because some have given this a career status, you judge those who have fought for YOU? Excuse me, but some people loved their jobs and stuck with it and did not sell themselves to the devil. No bitterness nor bad experience involved in 'disliking' a post, just EXPERIENCE AND WISDOM.

What?! - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The poster was just making a statement that SOME MTs refuse to move on and allow themselves to be stuck in the past, and that SOME MTs are unhappy because they can't find a job.

Neither even remotely implies "...unhappy person because they have seniority."

As far as your statement: "...those who have fought for YOU...," you've done nothing for me. I worked hard, studied hard, and earned every single penny I got. NO THANKS TO YOU!

MT wasn't what it was because of you, and MT isn't what it is because of newbies.

You're just stuck in the past, which is dead and gone. Move on already.
TO "What?!" - Thank you!! and I couldn't have said it better myself. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
Well-said...thank you! - Madonah
[ In Reply To ..]
:)
Looks like you were just that and not a team anyway. - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Pretty much sums it up that you were all out for you and that is the difference between working at home and inhouse. We worked as a team inhouse and someone had to take the bad. We at least THOUGHT we were making a difference and keeping the wages decent. That is what was meant. Wages were not pennies a line. We worked hourly and also at home, but with respect to the workforce. There are no more departments inhouse and now you here degrade people for saying dislike and move on. Easy for you to say when you think of you. That is pretty narcissistic. Worked with many with that ME personality too. They took all the easy work to make themselves look good. Loved the job dislike what it has become and disliked many of the non-team membered personalities I have worked with.

So yes, you have worked hard, as we all have. Some of us just dislike what is being done and will fight for the job, career and try to make it better for all not just for you. Carry on. Good for YOU.
Seriously?! Talk about narcissistic. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
You're assuming a whole lot here. You assume I've never worked in-house. You assume I'm not fighting for MT. You assume I cherry-picked. You assume I've never been the victim of cherry-pickers. You assume I'm a newbie or a semi-newbie. You couldn't be more wrong. You have no clue.

There are tens of thousands of MTs out there and we do not owe our success to you in any way. We fought for what we have and we've worked -- and are continuing to work -- very hard.

We're also team players... that is, when we have a team to be a part of. MTSOs have worked hard to divide teams and alienate MTs so MTs feel alone and scared and without hope.

Yes, there are bad MTs out there, but you're assuming that I'm one of them just because I'm not supporting your claim to a throne.

I've been on this board lots and lots of times trying to get support and encourage MTs to stand up and fight, but all I'm met with is negativity and criticism.

You assume you're the only one who's doing anything. Again, you couldn't be more wrong.

Similar Messages:

So Why The Dislikes For
Jan 12, 2014

Something I should know before applying? ...

Softscript Likes/dislikes?--sm
Dec 21, 2009

Thinking about applying to Softscript.  If you have worked for them could you please tell me likes and/or dislikes? It says on their website they do not outsource, does anybody know if this is true or not? TIA!! ...

So By The Number Of Dislikes Already Posted, Does That Mean
Aug 21, 2012

that Happy Transcriptions and USA MedTran are one and the same? ...

USA MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTIONIST. WHY ALL THE DISLIKES?
Aug 20, 2012

I was thinking of applying since I'm looking for a day shift, but I saw 10 dislikes.  Any info? ...

13 Dislikes For General Transcription ICs
Feb 05, 2015

xx ...

When Giving Opinions Of Various Companies Whether Likes Or Dislikes
Aug 31, 2012

Most people are vague in their comments.  Give the details i.e. why you don't like the platform, why you don't like the benefits.  Or what type of benefits, how much you pay for the benefits, etc., how many vacation days you get, how is the vacation/sick pay calculated, hourly or average of lines, etc. ...

Would Whoever Dislikes Every Single Post Quit Reading Them!
Mar 03, 2015

. ...

Why All The "dislikes" For Rev On The Seeker's Board?
Jun 11, 2013

x ...

Inscribe - Why All The "dislikes"
Jan 01, 2014

I am wondering why all the "dislikes" for this company on the job seeker's board. Do they hire for IC or employee status? If anyone currently works there, I would love to hear what you like or do not like about working for them. Thanks. ...

"Dislikes"
May 05, 2015

Just curious, I've noticed someone is "disliking" word help posts.  What in the world is there to dislike? ...