A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Transcend part-time question - wondering

Posted: Jan 16, 2010

How strict is Transcend on the weedend 8 hour requirement for part-time? If I am only working 20 hours/week, it seems a little crazy that 8 of those hours have to be a weekend day.

You'd think they could hire PT MTs who want - to work weekends nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I think you'll be working more than 20 hours a week - for part time

[ In Reply To ..]
to make the 450 per pay period quota you need to be part time.

not for me at least not yet -- - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I was wondering the same thing as the OP -- if I only have to work 20 hours a week for PT, why does 8 of them have to be on the weekend.

Here's the math in answer to your post though -- 20 hours a week x 200 lines per hour is 4000 lines per week paid at 9 cpl is $360 per week for a total of $720 per pay period (give or take the extra day or 2 in a pay period).

Of course, once they transition the accouts over to VR, you may be correct that it will take more than 20 hours a week to maintain PT status, but by then I'll have quit.

Gonna ride it while I can!

You go girl!! I like your style!! Good luck!! nm - for part time

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

part time will really be full time - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
For Transcend you will end up sitting at your desk for 18 hours a day trying to get the $450 per pay period to qualify for part-time status because they are so incredibly overstaffed - and once you reach permanent status and are eligible for their insurance you cant afford it anyway - If you haven't started with Transcend I would go running the other direction...

I still do not understand how this can be - legal s/m

[ In Reply To ..]
If you have to make a certain amount of money for full time with bennies or part time without, YET they do not provide enough work for you to be able to do that, and then they punish you because you COULDN'T make the production quota, how is that okay? Why can't something be done about this? There is also the question of recording hours worked. If you have to work more than 40 hours a week because of the above problem, yet they don't have to pay overtime, why then do they need to know how many hours you work to achieve your production? Are you supposed to not work more than 40 hours? Or do you just record 40 even though you worked 50? Could someone explain this?

Thanks

Training session for time cards. Can - someone who works s/m

[ In Reply To ..]
at Transcend tell me what this entails? Is is really complicated or something? Also, to "part time will really be full time", when you fill in your time card, do you only record the hours actually transcribing, and not the hours spent waiting for work? Isn't that part of your work day? TIA

Training sessions involve a conference call - and sometimes an online meeting

[ In Reply To ..]
The conference call is to a toll-free number, and if there's a go-to-meeting session, we are sent an e-mail ahead of time with the link. (Those sessions happen when they need to show us things on the screen; participants get a view of the trainer's actual screen.)

We are paid by the hour for training sessions.

For production, we are only to record hours for the time we are actually transcribing. Hours spent waiting for work are not paid for; only the actual lines produced.

I don't know if there's a hard-and-fast company policy about how long we're supposed to wait around, if we run out of work. My supervisor usually says check back in an hour or so. If I log on in the morning and there's no work, I just go back to bed. If I run out of work during my shift, usually I'll just goof off on the computer, surf the net, hang around on bulletin boards, etc. If I stay logged on, jobs will come to me as they become available. And if workloads are low one day, they might be high another day, and we are usually given the opportunity to flex our time around if we need to.

But... running out of work is a pretty rare occurrence for me. Employees who consistently run out of work are strongly encouraged to ask to be trained on other accounts. I have been told (by the dreaded suits) that the goal is to have everyone working at least 70% of the time on their primary account, 20% on a secondary, and only 10% on a tertiary, and not to have to learn more than about 3 accounts. Or similar numbers; it's been a while since I was told that, and I'm not sure I have it exact. Sometimes it takes some finagling to get a person set up with the right mix of accounts to achieve the goal. And sometimes accounts can change; one facility (not my account) with very little notice changed most of its work over to an in-house speech-wreck system, so they were scrambling around looking for places to relocate the MTs who were working that account. And right now we are low on weekend evening coverage on my primary account, so I can usually pick up some extra lines at those times, if I want to.

I have also been told by supervisors that the only reason number of hours matters (aside from training or PTO, which are paid by the hour) is so they can make sure they have the shifts covered. What matters far more is the number of lines (average of 150 per hour is the company minimum quota) and producing enough to meet one's full-time or part-time status money-wise.

Some elementary math. Let's say you are part time. If you produce exactly the minimum of 150 LPH for 4 hours a day, that would equal 600 lines a day. At 8 cents a line (and let's hope you'd be paid more than that), that's $48 gross per day. The pay periods (twice a month) are at least 10 days and more often 11 days. Even a 10-day pay period at $48 a day would bring in $480, which is over the part-time minimum of $450. So once you've learned your account, you should have no trouble making the minimum.

For full-time status, just double the numbers (at 8 cpl, $96 a day, or $960 or more for the pay period). And if you are paid more than 8 cpl and can churn out more than 150 LPH, it just goes up from there.

I've been talking about straight typing. VR, of course, is a completely different ball game. My accounts haven't gone there (yet) so I can't comment on how that math works out. I have also been told that if we and VR really don't get along, we can request to be switched over to a straight-typing account, because there are still plenty of those.

If you have a lousy couple of days now and then and don't make the quota, it's not the end of the world. Especially if it's not your fault. My understanding is that they look at your overall averages, and if you usually make your quota, they're not going to cut you off if you drop below it once. Also, if you have PTO in your bank, you can use it to make up for your lost time.

As I said, I hardly ever run out of work; in fact, I get invited to work extra a whole lot more often than I run low on work.

And you know what? There is no perfect place to work, because there are no perfect people. What is a good fit for someone might be a bad fit for someone else, and vice versa. I get along okay at Transcend. Others do not. A friend of a friend of mine works at Medquist and is actually happy there. We all know, if we read these boards, that that is not the usual thing at the Q....

Anyway... hopefully I have helped answer your question. Best of luck to you.

Similar Messages:

What's The Hour And Line Count Differences Between Part Time And Flex Part Time?
Jan 12, 2012

I'm currently flex part time only working 18 hours a week but I do have a set schedule.  What are the requirments for part-time and how may hours per week do you have to work.  Also, is there a difference between the line counts for part time and flex part time. Thanks. ...

TRANSCEND WORK LOAD - Applying For Part-time Work
Apr 13, 2011

Thinking of applying for part-time work.  Just wondering if the workload has improved since the prior posts below.  ...

Trying To Find Part-time Or Full-time Employee Position (hospital/clinic)
Apr 30, 2013

If anyone knows of a hospital, clinic, or large practice offering remote full-time or part-time employee positions, I would really appreciate an email.  I have the sudden need to help support a family member long term (in addition to myself) and really need to find a long-term remote employee position for the stability.  Yes, I watch all the various employment sites and even individual hospital sites, but I was hoping that maybe, just maybe someone who works for a hospital that does th ...

How Many Lines Is Considered Full Time And Part Time At Your MTSO?
May 06, 2010

I am wondering what the average for part time and full time status is either if it is done by line count or hours. Thanks so much! ...

FULL-TIME DOWNGRADE TO PART-TIME STATUS - Question
Dec 08, 2011

Has anyone working for an MTSO been downgraded from full-time status to part-time status based on not enough hours worked to be considered full time, yet making well above the minimum amount of earnings required for full-time status? ...

Does Precyse Hire Any Part-time Or Only Full-time?
Nov 03, 2010

nm ...

MQ Rehire Policy For Part Time To Full Time
Apr 09, 2011

I worked for MQ full time and then went to part time last year, before finally quitting altogether because of health problems. I seem to remember an obscure policy that if you were full time and then went to part time, you could not go back to full time for a period of at least 1 year.  Can anyone verify that for me? IF, and this is a big IF, I were to go back to work for MQ, I would need to be full time. ...

Part-time Versus Full-time Benefits
Jan 10, 2013

I'm curious as to the difference between the benefits for part-time versus full-time employment.  Are they the same?   ...

Optiscript Part Time To Full Time
Nov 19, 2011

Does anyone care to share that if you are hired at optiscript part time will they let you change to full time easily? I know they are a small company and do not over hire so I do not know how easily this could be done.  I am thinking of cutting down to part time at my current employee so I can work part time elsewhere and eventually just leave my current employee once I see how the land lays elsewhere.  Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated :) ...

Full-time/Part-time Hours?
Feb 13, 2012

Since part-time is generally considered 20-25 hrs. per week, does that mean that full-time is anything over 25 hrs. per week or does it have to be a flat 40 hrs? ...

Anyone Gone From Full-time To Part-time With This Company?
Mar 21, 2012

I am strongly considering going to part-time, just hoping to get opinions from anyone who has gone from full-time to part-time or opinions from anyone who has just always been part-time.  Thanks! ...

Nuance: From Full-time To Part-time
Apr 26, 2012

Would anyone be willing to post info on this? I am considering switching to part-time. Wondering how amenable the company is to such requests. If you have done this, were you able to keep same schedule or were you forced into a different schedule? Thanks for any thoughts! ...

Questions Re Going From Full Time To Part Time. Sm
Aug 08, 2012

Has anyone been allowed to go from full-time to part-time employment with Nuance?  Were you able to keep the same basic schedule?  I won't be ready to do this until early next year, so not asking HR at this point. Thanks for any responses! ...

Nuance - Part Time To Full Time?
Aug 08, 2012

I see the post about going from full to part time, but what about the opposite?  For example, if I get hired at 30 hours per week and I have extra time available for a few weeks, can I consistently work more hours than those scheduled 30 hours?  Thanks for any insight you can give. ...

Change From Full- Time To Part- Time.
Sep 10, 2012

I am still debating whether to enroll at Andrews or M-TEC.  My husband is retiring in 2 years and I want to be able to work part-time after that.  Is it realistic to think that I can complete the course at Andrews or M-TEC in 12 months at the most, work full time for a year and then part-time after that.  I would want to be able to work from home.  I guess the other question is "How long after graduating could I expect to earn enough to make it worth the investment, in a reas ...

Is It Easy To Go From Full Time To Part Time At MM?
Feb 18, 2013

I hired on at full time but want to drop 2 hours off a day.  Do they make you change shift or accounts in that case? I don't want benefits so don't care about that.  I worked at Nuance and any change in schedule ultimately ended up in an account and/or shift change.   TIA ...

From Full Time To Part Time With MModal?
Mar 04, 2013

from full time to part time w MM?  I am so burned out trying to work full time hours, I honestly think I would get the same pittance of a check working part time.  Thanks.   ...

Has Anyone Moved From Part-time To Full-time With The
Apr 26, 2013

same company? If so, was it a good decision? I'm thinking of doing that. Thanks. ...

?? Full Time At IMedx/part Time
Jun 18, 2015

Just asking if anyone knows what is considered full time for Imedx and what is considered part time?  ...

Full-time To Part-time
Mar 09, 2010

For those who went full time to part-time with MQ (because you got another job)...how did that work?  Did they approve the schedule you wanted, or did they make you take a schedule?  My CCM told me in my area there is no more flexible part-time available but could do regular 24 hour part-time...she said she would have to approve my schedule if and when I do this.  I may be doing two part-time jobs to start and I am trying to figure out how to do my scheduling around both jobs.    Does a ...

Anybody Know About Getting Time Off For Part-time Status
May 04, 2012

I just switched to part-time status due to a court reporting program I have been taking and need 4 hours a day to practice my speed.  I couldn't really figure out the time off situation. I don't care about PTO but want to take time off when I need it.  Anybody know anything about this?  Thanks.  ...

Has Anyone Gone Full-time To Part-time
Mar 28, 2014

Has anyone gone full-time to part-time and then worked part-time at another company as well? I can't keep having my pay go up and down with this incentive nonsense. Need more stability. Way too much stress.   ...

Transcend - Part Timers
Dec 20, 2011

I am starting to wonder if Transcend has more part time workers than full time, excluding the TLs.  It just seems like it is such a fight to get enough work to be full time.  It also seems like it saves them in the long run to not provide insurance and now gift cards at Christmas if they have more part timers, just my feeling. ...

Wondering If Transcend Is Really Offering Insurance To Part Timers??
Jun 21, 2011

I saw below where Transcend may be offering health insurance to part timers in September, just wondering if anybody has heard anything about that.  I would like to have insurance again, so am very curious if that is true.  Thanks for your help!  ...

Part-time Job
Dec 08, 2009

I'm getting frustrated about finding a part-time job.  I've done so many interviews, I'm blue in the face.  They all want to start at such a low cpl that I just can't do it.  I'm about ready to try to get a non-MT part-time and see how that goes.  I've heard about Avon and that it can be done from home on-line now.  I'm wondering if that would supplement my income any better.  The only problem I have is I hate going door-to-do ...

Part Time PTO
Jan 20, 2010

I'm considering dropping to part-time.  I checked out the MQ Central for the specs and it indicates 24 hours/0.03 PTO per 48 hr pay period/1.37 hours for a max of 5 days/40 hours yearly. My CCM said if I happened to work 39 hours in a week, I'd get more PTO accumulated during that time.  She said there are PT folks who get just as much PTO as the FT do.  I didn't see anything like that mentioned in the PTO section on MQ Central.    ...

New Part-time Job
Jul 21, 2011

I was talking to my CCM last week and she said the facilities just let them know they do not need them anymore, just like that.  They go with their own VR.  I don't trust anyone anymore so I secured a part-tiime job that I start in 2 weeks.  I will not be getting much sleep, but I will have to suck it up.  This is an outside job driving 60 miles a day, but I guess we do what we have to do.  I would think at my age (61) a person would'nt have to work so hard. ...

Looking For Part-time
Dec 02, 2011

Are there any good companies left out there to work for part-time (20-35 hours) with straight typing and no C-phone?  ...

Part Time ??
Apr 26, 2012

Does anyone know of any companies that only require 15 hours or so weekly, or a low line count, for part-timers?  I would like to earn some extra money, but have time restraints :( ...

If You Are Part Time
Apr 04, 2013

how can you collect UE? I thought that was only for full timer?? ...