A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

For all Imedx employees - anon

Posted: Apr 06, 2015

I just spent the last hour on the phone with the Labor Dept, hashing over the entire "punch in/out" versus shift issue.  The short version is this ... you DO NOT have to punch in when there's work and then punch out when there's no work. You punch in at the start of your shift and punch out at the end of your shift (or when you take an extended break, such as lunch).  If you're available to work but there's no work available, you still have to be compensated for that time. This is based upon a full work week, not individual days. 

I can't prove it ... but after speaking with the Labor Dept, I believe the reason for the clocking in/out is because the company is making money while you're working, but if you're not working then they're not making money, and they don't want to pay you for work you're not doing. 

Click on the link below to take you to the web page and then read the infor under 785.14, 785.15, and 785.16.  

I hope this clarifies things for everyone. 

That is what I have been saying all along - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
and everyone stated it doesn't count because we are at home workers...

for home workers, it's a "grey area" - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
according to the person I spoke with. She told me to keep meticulous records of when I actually worked. IOW, say, punch in at 8 a.m. and out at 4 p.m. but log all the times I actually was on the system and keep that as a separate record.

The ONLY problem that could arise, and this is only conjecture on my part, is that the company could terminate somebody with the argument that there is insufficient work.

So, tread lightly with this one or you may find yourself collecting unemployment.

I was - told

[ In Reply To ..]
that medical and agriculture are exceptions. They can pay you however they decide and do not even have to pay 1.5 rate OT.

What you state the DOL told you makes the most sense. Is this from the state level or the national level, and is it different state by state? What state are you in?

Thanks for your diligence!

I live in TN, but - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
The link I was given is a federal one.

Actually a good reason behind this - anonimedx

[ In Reply To ..]
I clock in once and punch out once, not every time I run out of work. I asked the sup (instead of forums) the reason they implemented this.. What it is, they pay you the highest... If you make more by the hours you work, that is what you get.. If you make more by the lines you work, that is what you get.. I believe they did this so they do not get in trouble with minimum wage laws.. I found this to be true because I had a low line pay period a couple of times and got paid surprisingly more than I had suspected. This was because they paid me for my hours instead. Some things, there are actually positive reasons for, not everything is negative. For instance, I love the fact that if I don't make my line quota, they don't take my insurance from me... I have yet to find a company that does that.. Start looking for some positives because IT CAN BE WORSE.

actually, yes and no - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
It hinges on total hours divided into gross earnings PER WEEK, which makes the determination.

I'll use my own figures for this.

March 29 - April 4
Total gross earnings: $205.17 (based on actual lines transcribed)
Actual hours worked: 14:45
Hours available: 24
Hours available w/o work: 9:15

You divide the total # of hours AVAILABLE into the total gross earnings, and that makes the determination. So, using my figures -

Scenario #1:
$205.17 / 14.45 = $14.20/hour

Scenario #2:
$205.17 / 24 = $8.55

Because I made more than minimum wage, everything is "kosher." If I had been available for, say, 35 hours -

$205.17 / 35 = $5.87

Now I've made less than minimum wage, and the company has to meet that. So my paycheck would not be $205.17, but rather $253.75.

Clear as mud?

Similar Messages:

Imedx And Moderator At MT Stars, Plz Ignore All Employees/posters Of Imedx
Feb 03, 2015

Moderator, please delete everything on your site that refers to Imedx, even this post of mine, it is only the right thing to do. I prefer to be angry and have no where to vent. Last week we were told by Op Mgr that "she has a call into the client about why volume is so low." Yesterday, we got a "yippee" from "her" about having a coupla hundred jobs ready. This morning, we got an email saying, "we need to make sure you have backup accounts now." I wont address the timesheet issue, I am still ...

Any Medware/ImedX Employees?
Jan 22, 2010

Anyone who is still working here frustrated as I am with their lack of communication, response to emails etc. since all of the good people left and take over by ImedX?  I've been there for a few years and am thinking about looking elsewhere now.  We didn't get our direct deposit today and still no follow up/update at all on what happened and when they will deposit our pay.  I have loved working for this company but with so many changes and the current atmosphere I am ext ...

Imedx Employees Just Call I.T. Regarding Email!
Apr 05, 2015

Just call their number in Atlanta, punch 3 as the extension, the guy takes your name and number, they call within 5 minutes, and they will pull you by your nose and access your computer and set you up. It is very quick and easy. Just write everything down, not much, but we are all pissed/excited/depressed/happy/dingy, and we forget stuff.   It is very easy! start with IT and quit wondering! Keep them on the phone while you enter ur junk and password change.   Luv ...

To IMEDX Employees, You Will Get Email, Just Wait
Apr 05, 2015

You need to call Steve in I.T. at extension 3. They will take message due to overwhelming calls and then call you back. They will give you temporary password and a website to go to. After you go to website, you will enter temp pass and then change your password. THAT password that you just changed will become your permanent password for outlook.office365.com, user will be jsmith@imedx.net and your new password you just did. YOU WILL NEED I.T. TO CALL YOU, NO OTHER WAY TO DO THIS ...

OMG How Funny - Read Glassdoor Opinion Of Employees, US Versus Indian Employees!
Aug 05, 2013

I was just curious about what employees thought of Nuance on Glassdoor.  You read several US employee opinions and they reflect the morale listed on MTStars.  Scroll further down and read the opinions of the transcriptionists from India.  What a difference.  They are highly satisfied with their jobs and most have been working with Nuance for 6 to 7 years.  The US transcriptionists are very sad!!  What a difference..... ...

If It Looks Like IMEDX, Talks Like IMEDX, It Is IMEDX
Feb 28, 2015

No one on this board seems to give specifics when they get canned from IMEDX. So my question is this: Can each person who got laid off/fired let us know more details. Were you PT or full time, did they call or did they email, did you have options, or just firing. How many lines did you do per day. Some of us may not be in your situation and you may have been just an employee that was not worth IMEDX's time and they got rid of you while they may keep all the others, or full timers. Details p ...

DSG Employees:
Dec 22, 2009

Did they send out gift cards this year?     ...

Former TRS Employees
Jan 26, 2010

Has anyone received a W2 form from the former TRS?  I received one from Transcend but evidently we will receive another one from TRS? ...

To Other New MQ Employees: I'd Like To Know What
Apr 13, 2011

sort of things you're getting QA'd for, to compare notes.  For instance, I'm new to VS, and I tend to leave in double words.  I think what's happening is that I hear it, so my mind just blocks out the extra one and I don't see it.  I spend a lot of energy trying to out-guess the QA, but no matter what I put in certain instances, I'm marked off.  If I put "The patient," then she fills in the name.  If I put the name, then she puts "The patien ...

For Those Of You (employees, Not IC)
Jun 02, 2011

I'd like to know how you are all dealing with it.  Do you sit and wait on work during your scheduled shifts without getting paid?  Have any of you filed for unemployment due to lack of work?  I wonder how people manage to pay for insurance, etc.  Have any of you quit your jobs and received unemployment?  How do you all manage?  TIA for any information you are willing to share. ...

Do You MQ Employees Sometimes Think
Aug 17, 2011

Someone jumps on this board, fires it all up by saying to use F11 for every ASR job, and then calls their CCM to say "read the MTstars board" and then they go check who is doing it and fires them, all the while the pot-stirrer looks all cutsie in the CCMs eyes and more work opens up for the pot-stirrer?Maybe it is my wild imagination, but it seems like all that "stop typing for a day" and if that does not work, then "stop typing for 2 days," and "use F11 for all ASR jobs," all feels so not ...

Any RAD MQ Employees?
Aug 18, 2011

How is your workload going?  I know there are a lot of acute care people who run out of work a lot, or get thrown in the cesspool, but what about the radiology side?  Does that run out all the time too?  I was there for Rad and was considering going back because I need a job.  I know the pay is not what I made there before. ...

Former MDI-MD Employees, Got A ????
Oct 20, 2011

Anybody on here former employees of MDI-MD who stayed with Transcend? I have applied and am trying to find my former supervisor's email. She was MDI-MD and as far as I know, stayed with Transcend. Her initials are MM. Please email me if you have her contact info. I cannot find her email anywhere and would love to work under her again if she is still there. Thanks! ...

To DSG Employees/ICs
Feb 06, 2012

In case you weren't there at the beginning of Monday's conference call, MQ bought out M-Modal and changed their name.  SO, if you choose to do this, you would be working for MQ.  Been there, done that.....aaack. ...

TTS Employees
May 27, 2015

Have interview with TTS, any comments on this company??? Likes/dislikes, pay ...

Any ETransPlus Employees?
Nov 11, 2009

Wondering if anyone has any info on this company - good or bad feedback is welcomed. Thanks! ...

Third Shift Employees
Feb 16, 2010

As I am getting no work during the day shift anymore, I have the chance to go third shift Sun-Thursday (11-7), either that or find a new job (yeh right), or do ASR (done it at this company, no thanks to returning there).  I have never worked that one before.  How/when do you sleep?  Any other pros/cons about this shift?  Thaniks your your advice.    ...

How Many U.S. Employees Are There For Medquist?
Mar 02, 2010

.. ...

Statutory Employees
Mar 25, 2010

Could someone explain exactly what a company can require of an SE? Can companies force MTs to adhere to a schedule if all MTs are statutory employees? All the research I have done on this subject is vague, but it appears that SE and IC are almost the same with the exception of Social Security and Medicare being withheld and the employer's portion being paid for an SE. ...

Any Smartmed Employees Here?
May 06, 2010

Wondering what everyone is thinking about the no work again and NO other accounts to work on. ...

DSG. Statutory Employees
May 25, 2010

I'm considering applying with DSG for a statutory positon. Does anyone know what they're like to work for? I'm wondering about rate of pay, availability of work, percentage of ESL, etc. Thanks. ...

Spheris Employees
Jun 18, 2010

curious if you are still working your regular accounts?  Is everything they promised actually working out?  I ask because I am now working on a Spheris account when I run out of work on my 5 other "primaries";) ...

Former MDI/Transcend Employees
Jun 25, 2010

Just out of curiosity, does anybody have any idea how many people have parted ways with Transcend in the last several weeks that had been with the company for more than four or five years?  I know I am one of them but was just curious how extensive it might be. ...

Production Employees (not IC's): How Much
Jul 13, 2010

The compensation structure and "minimum" hourly or daily production expectations often encourage people in our industry to work unreported hours in order to meet minimums.  You have a day when you get a rash of the account's most trying dictators, for instance, and at the end of 8 hours you realize that you haven't met minimums...so you work another hour, while reporting only the 8 hours. Transcription companies are, of course, aware of this dirty little secret and do nothing abo ...

Former DRC/Acusis Employees
Jul 18, 2010

Last year, there were some changes made at Acusis and a group of MTs left at that time.  I was wondering if any of these MTs found a "new home" they are happy with.  I felt DRC was very good to its MTs and wonder if there are other "jewels" like it was out there. ...

QUESTION FOR MQ EMPLOYEES
Jul 23, 2010

Is there anyone that likes their job at MQ?  Specifically, any radiology MTs who are happy there?  Just want to know before I take any potential leaps I may strongly regret in the future.  Thanks! ...

Former Spheris Employees?
Nov 29, 2010

hi guys, i was just wondering if anyone on here worked @ spheris and now is with medquist? is it better. how are the hours now as opposed to w/spheris. i'm thinking of applying with medquist and was wondering if i should or get a new career LOL thanks for any info ...

Calling All MQ Employees!
Feb 03, 2011

Have phone interview next week.  Looking for info on pay scale, weekend/holiday/schedule expectations, and vacation time info.  Don't want to waste my time or theirs.  Please only reply if you are a current employee with knowledge of current policies.  I looked on their website but can't find this info....  thanks a bunch!  ...

JLG Current Employees
Apr 28, 2011

I have recently been offered a position with JLG.  I have checked the archives for info on this company, however, most of them are from 1-2 years ago.  I am interested in any info a current employee of JLG can offer to me regarding this company - good or bad.  ...

Does Anyone Know How To Find Out How Many Employees
Jun 05, 2011

a company has employed?  How to find stats/revenue, etc.  I looked at Bizcompare but the info seems to be old and not accurate.  I am considering a company and want to know how many employees it has.  Thanks!  ...