A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

EditScript vs. M*Modal for editing. Anybody used both and can compare? - new platform trepidation

Posted: Nov 28, 2012

I've been on EditScript for a while now and was looking for another position using the same platform but elsewhere.  I have a lead that is M*Modal, though (they used to use EditScript), and even the recruiter admitted that of those who've done both, most prefer EditScript.  But I'm thinking that with a smaller company where there aren't so many cooks in the kitchen it might even out to be about the same in terms of quality anyway?  Or maybe I'll just be one of those people who prefer the functions of M*Modal over EditScript, hopefully.

Can anybody who's worked on both give me a quick comparison?  Or even just a percentage of quality/satisfaction difference? (maybe liked M*Modal about 80% as much as EditScript, e.g.)  

I have worked with both and there are pros/cons - me

[ In Reply To ..]
to both. If you could put them together you'd have a pretty good platform.

M*Modal might be different with each company, but lots and lots of reformatting required. There are some good things, like when you put in a period it caps the next word. You can also click on any word and the dictation goes back to that point so you aren't rewinding and FF a lot. The search function didn't work with my company and there were a couple of other features that didn't work, though I can't remember which now. For those doctors who say the same thing for ROS and H&P, but say it so fast you can only get a couple of words it was good. It would get those words, but other times it put our garbage. Even our worst dictator was on M*Modal, though lots of editing was required. My index and pinky fingers were so sore at the end of the day from using all the edit keys.

When I used EditScript they only put the better dictators on it. I thought it was more user friendly. It still required some formatting and some days would give you nothing but garbage, missing entire sentences or be total nonsense on even the best dictators, but the next day give you near client ready dictation. There was no way to skin to a certain point in the dictation without rewinding or FF using your pedal or shortcut keys. It was also easier to sign off a report in EditScript than in M*Modal. Based on my experience with both I was more productive on EditScript than M*Modal and if I had to pick one I'd go with EditScript.

Thanks so much for your feedback. - new platform trepidation

[ In Reply To ..]
Actually, EditScript is even more user friendly now compared to when you were on it since you can skip to a certain point via Alt + Shift + K (move voice cursor to text cursor).

Given the hypothetical of a position that was seemingly more ideal, in varying degrees, in all ways except the platforms, do you think you might be okay with the M*Modal over EditScript then? (including even slightly higher pay that might well compensate for the difference in effiency and speed) I know it's impossible to tell without knowing exactly how the dictators are comparison-wise, but that's all I really have to go on at this point myself.

I wish I worked where you do, best dictators only - PR

[ In Reply To ..]
on Escription?? Let me be the first to tell you and perhaps others, every company does NOT put the best dictators on Escription. I work for a huge hospital and they have satellite hospitals and everyone and their brother dictate. We have the worst of the worst. I am totally amazed that they let some of the people "try" to speak English because I have had reports that would have blank upon blank throughout due to the inability to understand even with VR if that was what was actually being said. Having said that I will also say that I have never missed an entire sentence being left out on Ediscript and have used constantly since 2004. I think with this system 1 size does not fit all.

Similar Messages:

Editscript - How To Check My Line Count In Editscript? 
May 18, 2013

Can anybody tell me how to check my line count in Editscript?  ...

Compare
Mar 14, 2012

Has anyone worked on both M-Modal and Escription, and can you compare them as to ease of use, line count, etc.   Thanks. ...

How Does Spheris Compare?
Jan 21, 2010

Is there anyone out there who has worked for Spheris and other large companies? If so, how does Spheris compare? Looking for other opportunities, but don't want to end up in a worse situation :) In particular, has anyone worked for both Spheris and Webmedx? thanks ...

Echocardiogram To Compare
Jul 28, 2010

echocardiogram to compare air to ?_______ dilatation Does this make sense? ...

Would Like To Compare Notes With Others New To MQ,
Apr 16, 2011

especially if you're on a southwestern account and doing editing for the first time.   I started with MQ last month and feel very discouraged, mainly for all the minor negative feedback I'm getting.  I'd like to know how the other new employees are doing so I can get a sense of where I stand.  I keep thinking any day now I'll get a notice I'm fired.   Email me directly and dish it out. ...

Anyone Able To Compare Nuance/Softscript
Feb 12, 2014

Nuance Fiesa is about to drive me insane.  0.25 deduction for not putting a period in.  REALLY????  I will contest it, but hate the amount of time we have to spend defending ourselves against this crappy QA system. Thinking about SoftScript.  Anyone able to compare how their QA stands next to Nuance.  Any info for comparison purposes welcome.  I realize there is no such thing as a perfect company, but...  Thanks. ...

Compare Nuance And Amphion ??
Feb 22, 2015

Anyone have experience with both and able to give a comparison?  Line requirements, benefits, QA, etc. TIA ...

Wanting To Compare Contractor Rates
Jun 20, 2012

I'm seeing pay rates all over the place on this board and I'm just curious as to what others are receiving. I'm an independent contractor. I have a lot of psychiatric accounts but they only pay 10 cents a line (65 characters, of course).  That's a decrease from my standard rate a few years ago (but supply and demand made me reduce my rate).  Because I'm a fast typist and the psychiatric work is easy, I easly make $30 an hour when I'm focused.I've ...

Please Compare Nuance With Accentus, If You Have Worked For Both
Sep 01, 2012

As little or as much info as you want is certainly appreciated.  Whatever you have time to post.  Thank you so much.  ...

Compare Company Line Rates (sm)
Apr 03, 2014

Can we post line rates quoted to experienced MTs this year?  I think many of us do not wish to waste applying and testing for a company that is reducing the line rate AGAIN to only .03 cpl.  If anyone was offered less than .04/.08, did you turn it down? Did they offer more? Name of company?Thanks for any input.  ...

How Does General Transcription Compare To Medical?
Apr 16, 2014

For those who have done general transcription how does it compare to medical?  Is it easier? What about the pay?  Any other info wold be great too! ...

Compare Line Rates Between IC And Employee?
Aug 19, 2014

Can someone please tell me how to compare line rates between IC and employee?  I know IC pays less due to taxes and social security not paid by employer, but if someone could tell me what 8 cpl as an IC really pays, I would really appreciate it.  TIA. ...

Can Someone Compare Andrews To AHIMA Basic Coding Course?
Feb 07, 2013

they call this a 12-course basics.  it says 2000, plus you need an additional 290 +225 for the required anatomy and physiology course, which you must at least get a C before you can proceed with the coding.  they also suggest 35 a year for becoming a member.  books are also a lot extra, looks like.   says 4 clusters of 15-week courses, that is 60 weeks, yes?   anyone have experience with this course?  call me gun-shy, but this is the organization who threw MT unde ...

Any Difference In EditScript MT 9 And EditScript MT 9.12?
Dec 29, 2011

Does anyone know if there is any difference in EditScript MT 9 and EditScript MT 9.12?  If there is, how can we update this? It seems that my new place of employments line counting is not the same as my old place of employment.  New employer has EditScript 9, while my old work had EditScript 9.12, and my line count was much more at my previous employer.  Now it seems I can put out tons of work and see not much for lines...  Very frustrating. When questioning my employer now, they say t ...

Is Nuance And M-Modal Joint Services? Posting Here For Nuance AC, Got Email To Test For M-Modal.
May 01, 2012

I thought they were 2 different services.  Everyone is buying out everyone, so who knows.  All the small companies have been merged I guess.  I thought Nuance was out of New York and were the primary with VR.  Maybe one has to keep up with the changes and be a member and pay the dues and go to the meetings with AAMT and be a CMT to keep up with the changes, even though you still get 4 cents. ...

New To EditScript
Jan 26, 2010

Hi All.... I was just hired by an MT company that uses EditScript. This is a brand new experience for me as my previous MT job did not use this platform.  I've been studying the user manual and specs, but am nervous about starting tonight.  I'll be starting out with 10 reports.  I know it will be "SLOW GOING" especially tonight. I want to do a good job, but worry about being too slow at first. Any words of advice or encouragement out there???  I could use some ...

Going To Editscript VR
Feb 12, 2010

I am going to be going to ES VR.  I have been working on Dictaphone Extext straight typing and a little VR.  I did not find VR in Dictaphone to be good.  I have done ES before, and I believe it is better.  Considering the chump change we make to do VR, do you think you are paid enough to proof your work after you have edited the report, or do you do a once over and go on to the next one?  I mean, really, with what we make, we really have to do a once over to make anythi ...

EditScript And TTS
Jun 19, 2011

Offered a job with this company on EditScript platform. I still have job with major company.  Should I make the switch.  Pay is the same but run out of work a lot where I am now. ...

IE 10 For EditScript?
Mar 24, 2013

Can we use IE 10? ...

EditScript ?
May 25, 2013

Just wondering what people think about the platform EditScript.. would love to hear opinions, pros and cons.  Is it easy to learn? Thanks.  ...

Can Anyone Help? In EditScript, How To You Get That
Dec 11, 2014

little icon you can click on to "hear silence parts of dictation rapidly" back?   TIA ...

New To VR/EditScript/Escription
Oct 25, 2009

After 40 years on the job and getting tired of typing, when out of a job this last time (there have been so many times of late because of ...well most of you already know how goes it with our profession), I decided to just go for what seems to be taking over transcription anyway.  Thanks to this board and all the talk about the different platforms, I took a job with a company that uses EditScript, and I am thrilled.  In those 40 years, I have had to do a lot of proofreading as a super ...

Editscript And USB Footpedal
Nov 18, 2009

I have a VEC USB port. I cannot seem to get it to work in EditScript. I also have Express Scribe. Is there a way to get the foot pedal to work. Checked Belkin instructions, and there is no foot pedal listed in my ports. BTW, don't have Belkin so wont work anyway. Any help would be appreciated. ...

Escription/editscript/qc
Nov 22, 2009

I posted this on the company board but this might be a better place...I work at FocusInfomatics...QC..just started not that long ago.  Many years of experience with editing, QA, MT, etc.  I'm new to VR. I would love to hear what to expect for production as right now...it's not so good.  I understand variables, etc.  My work load is very low right now but that is supposedly going to change soon.  With QCing everything to sound, can someone tell me what they ...

Looking At Old Reports In EditScript
Nov 27, 2009

I recently upgraded to EditscriptMT 8 from verson 6 and now find I cannot look back at old records as I used to do and check for familiar phrases, medication lists or other information.  Does anyone know how to look back at previously transcribed/edited patient records in EditscriptMT verson 8?  Thank you in advance. ...

Has Anyone Else Worked On Editscript
Nov 27, 2009

Has anyone else worked on Editscript and what do you think of it? ...

Anything Good Or Bad About Editscript?
Jan 26, 2010

Does anyone know anything good or bad about Editscript?  Do you know if it works on Windows 7? ...

Which Companies Are Currently Using EditScript?
Feb 13, 2010

Which companies are currently using EditScript? ...

Escription/Editscript
Feb 24, 2010

I am starting a new job that uses Escription and Editscript.  I use Shorthand as an expander and Spellex as my medical dictionary.  Does anyone know if these will function correctly in those programs? Thanks! ...

Shorthand With Editscript
Mar 01, 2010

I know that if you use Autocorrect, your information needs to be transferred over into Editscript.  If you use Shorthand instead, how do you go about getting THAT information transferred over into Editscript?  Thanks!!!  ...