A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Another petition, this is worth signing!!! - Boostedmom

Posted: Nov 28, 2013

Just in case the link doesn't work here it is...

http://www.change.org/petitions/joint-commission-petition-the-joint-commission-to-develop-medical-transcription-and-documentation-standards

This petition is very well written and will go straight to the Joint Commission.  Thanks!

to tell you the truth - I dont know

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm a darn good MT, but I admit I'm not perfect; I do make mistakes. Then I see errors, huge errors, made by less experienced MTs at home and abroad. Even though this has been my livelihood for over 30 years, I'm not convinced that it's essential to have "human interface" (meaning us, of course) to create these documents. I have no faith in VR as we know it, but I personally believe that EHR performed by the clinician will produce the highest quality document.

Joint Commission has always had standards for transcription, but why should they demand that it be performed by an MT? What this really comes down to is a plea for JCAHO to help save our jobs.

Transcription Standards - cartwheel

[ In Reply To ..]
there are no standards regarding how transcription is performed. please do you homework before you make statements.

petition - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
This is just another pointless effort to fool yourselves into thinking you're going to stop the oncoming train. By the time The Joint Commission would even consider this, do anything about it, etc, many of you will be retired.

They do standards for documentation, not how the documentation is produced.

And seriously American People?

Just another delusion that will be passed around and end up where all the others did. The job is what it is and there's no knight on a white horse coming to save you.

Yes, we can show the JC that... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
... the HIM professionals known as MTs have no clue what JC 's function is. Great, a whole career field that has no idea how healthcare quality operates.

Even more reason to be overjoyed that front-end SR will eliminate them in hospitals.

wow dead on - scathing but true

[ In Reply To ..]
I like it.

what's this part about ADHI compiling stats? - ?

[ In Reply To ..]
what could they possibly be compiling and why would they start working for us at this stage in the game?

Delusional...you think you know what JC is about? - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Worked in-house forever...JC is going to do something about transcription? I will believe it when I see it. JC warns the hospitals they are coming. The hospitals hire out to bring everything up to code. They hire outside housekeeping, hide charts, and do whatever it takes to get accredited. Their main concern is TAT and hands-on patient care. They are another government institution with cut backs. They are all about saving money also. For 30 years hospitals have wanted offices out of the hospitals and anyone without direct patient contact to be downsized to bare minimum. VR and low pay are the least of what JC is coming to inspect. They come to Medical Records at the end of their stay and pull only a few charts and looking for completeness and diagnoses for proper coding. They never look for commas! They have known all about offshoring since it began. We were warned not to even talk to them nor answer questions and direct them to the spokesperson for the hospital. Not the people to complain to...never in 50 years.

just asking - not delusional

[ In Reply To ..]
I only asked what possible stats ADHI could be compiling for them - I know very well they won't help us! I also worked inhouse and I know the JCAHO drill. The only part about your post that is incorrect is that they are not a government institution. They are an independent not-for-profit organization. See link.

except they no longer do scheduled visits as a norm - but the rest of what you say is right

[ In Reply To ..]
This numnuts that started this whole Joint Commission venture is the one who is delusional. There may be newer standards put in place but it wont be with regard to the needs of an American MT. This is just more chasing of tails to feel like people are doing something to stop the train rather than figuring out how to get a seat ON the train.

I would both afraid and doubtful of - xxx

[ In Reply To ..]
anything AHDI (not ADHI, BTW) is doing. They are not to be trusted. They care nothing about MTs except how to exploit them.

JC has nothing whatsoever to do wtih transcription - they won't care - 1 bit nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Time to show them, it seems. - sorryimnotsorry

[ In Reply To ..]
I would suggest they do care, they do need us to do our homework.

Yes, you go tell JC their jobs. After that tell your dentist to fix your hernia. - Same Difference, but you can try. NM

[ In Reply To ..]

But JC does focus on .... - mariazkafka

[ In Reply To ..]
healthcare information and documentation of care. Medical transcription is a part of that. Additionally, using (or overusing) EHR templates, copying and pasting, etc., is also a concern.

Thank You Boostedmom! - Rose

[ In Reply To ..]
I just signed and left comments.

I signed and left comments. For the nay-Sayers, it's worth a try. It certainly won't hur - Oldie

[ In Reply To ..]
Xx

that's what you dont seem to get - it isnt worth a try

[ In Reply To ..]
It's just one more desperate attempt at trying to stay relevant. It's totally going about things the wrong way. You stay relevant by learning to fit into the equation not by trying to rewrite the equation, especially when the math is so far ahead of you.
Please be more specific - cartwheel
[ In Reply To ..]
The piece of the equation that isn't working are the many companies running amok and doing whatever they feel like, ignoring quality and patient safety. This results in the equation being rolled out by each and everyone spinning their own idea of what they believe to be relevant. A standard at some level needs to be defined. Then, the technology can roll out and MTs can know the rules of the game. It is one of very few process in the inpatient setting that is not subjected to quality measures.
It doesn't matter. English doesn't matter now either. - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
It is cost...VR is a huge savings for hospitals and their budget for FTEs. The English language is becoming a thing of the past also. Maybe we will be using twitter next and have to learn those brief forms...cost effective.
It is not a patient care process - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
You are the one spinning the equation out in the wrong direction, desperately trying to cook up some rationale to keep doing a job like it was done 20 years ago. All so YOU won't have to make the effort to change.

MT is typing. It is a clerical function that is possible to do with a computer and SR software. It is no longer necessary to employ people to do this.

It is NOT a patient care process.

Here is what you are missing ... along with the SR, there are new jobs in documentation review, and I do not mean "MT editing." There are some jobs that do not require much training and others in clinical documentation improvement, that do require education.

You are not aware of this because you have not gotten out of your house for 20 years, preferring to WHA in isolation. People have been working in these jobs for ten years, but you know nothing about it. There are loads of EHR jobs, too, for which FREE training was provided, but you missed out on it because you were too busy focusing your narrow, blindered, tunnel vision on trying to avoid change. You were too busy organizing unionization effirts, anti-AHDI campaigns, anti-MTSO lawsuits, and talking others out of going back to school to see what was going on right under your keyboard.

For heaven's sake, stop this ridiculous nonsense and make provisions for your future!!!

not to mention one of HIPAA's main goals is to cut - administrative costs - guess what?
[ In Reply To ..]
Administrative - not the "clinical" workers (docs, nurses, x-ray/lab techs, etc) - the administrative costs, that would be us and all other clerical workers from medical records departments to dr offices to home workers. Why do you think incentive grant money was provided to facilities to buy EHR, VR systems and the like - for quality? Pfffsft. It's a one-time expense versus paying the likes of us year after year with no end, and a savings on benefits, UE insurance, and taxes as well. Why not? The technology is out there.

I can imagine in the future we'll probably be scheduling our own appointments, tests, etc., and verifying our own insuance online as well. You'll go a doctor's office and only see him and a nurse waiting for you.

It's called healthcare reform, and our jobs are on the wrong side of the coin. Joint commission has nothing to do with our dilema...they just keep the hospitals up to code and renew their license to keep operating - pun intended or not.
In a way it's not 100% our - fault
[ In Reply To ..]
It's not totally our fault, because a lot of us lost our inhouse jobs. If we had been allowed to remain inhouse, we would have been exposed to the changes and had greater opportunities for training and education. Working at home, well, really, what did we know?

I went home in 1999. It wasn't until about 2009 that I realized, hey, the jig is up, and now I'm way behind.
No, there are a lot of in-house MTs here - insisting life is fine
[ In Reply To ..]
The WAHs were isolated, but look at all the in-house MTs who show up here just totally dumbfounded that they are losing their jobs. There are even a few who insist their employer is too honorable and their mission too noble and their ... patient satisfaction ratings, of all things ... are too fabulous to do something like that.

No other HIM professionals do this. Everybody else has something on the back burner.

I think MTs were so tightly invested in their uniqueness and specialness to stop to consider anything else. There was a time when it was impossible to be unemployed as an MT, but that started turning sour way back when the big MTSOs showed up. Only very few noticed. They were still focused on their specialness.

Now, you have people continuing to do the job while losing homes, losing cars, losing everything. Yet they still keep focusing on how much they have to keep on doing this job because it is so MEANINGFUL to them. It is so special. They are so NECESSARY to the doctors, to the patients, to healthcare. They are Florence Nightengales of the keyboard.

Sigh. There are other jobs in healthcare that are worthwhile, rewarding, challenging, and PAY WELL.

well said. - anon NM
[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

Signing The Petition
Sep 05, 2013

I want to sign the petition to stop offshoring, and also put it on my FB page for others to see, but I'm worried my company is monitoring this and will find a reason to fire me. Are others worried about this? ...

Signing Petition Against Offshoring
Oct 16, 2010

Google American Transcription Association and go to their website and they have a petition that you can sign that is against offshoring ...

PETITION: Everyone Needs To Sign This Petition
Sep 04, 2013

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/stop-sending-our-medical-records-offshore/B8mSk5hN ...

Anyone Signing Up For This?
May 29, 2014

Love the title of the presentation! ...

Just Signing On
Oct 29, 2014

or just me?  Thank goodness for MT Stars or I would be perpetually in the dark! Thanks ...

LOL. Doubt Anyone Will Be Signing Up With Trans. Doctors
Mar 15, 2010

now that we all know they don't pay until they get paid.  Someone there must not have read the company board before they made their job posting for today. I might need a job, but I don't work for free for anyone.  Desperate times?  You bet.  Even worse is to be so desperate as to work for a company that has not paid even after 6 weeks have gone by with no guarantees that you will be paid in another 6 weeks. ******* DISCLAIMER ***************** Postings of thi ...

Co-workers Signing Off Shift Early
May 16, 2011

Do any of you have this problem? There are several us on one particularly account. They will either sign off 5-6 hours into their 8 hr shift (saying they've met their minimum quota)or sometimes on weekends just leave work not done til the next day. I have the last shift and have to stay until all docs are finished no matter how late. Therefore, I get "mop up" duty every day. Any helpful suggestions? Oh, by the way, they "cherry pick" the short reports and I get left with the extremely long ...

Proof Docs Don't Review Before Signing
Sep 26, 2011

Just typed a letter to a peer review committee regarding a discrepancy in an operative report and a discharge summary.  The doctor gave the explanation that it was simply a typographical error either from his mumbling or unclear dictation, and that the dx listed in the discharge summary did not make sense and he would not dictate that. Yes, he actually admitted it could have been from his mumbling.  But, why didn't he catch that incorrect diagnosis when he signed the discharge sum ...

Anyone Else Get A Virus Warning When Signing Into Teamwork
Aug 28, 2012

I got two Trojan Horse warnings when I signed in..the virus was blocked and it let me sign in...Anyone else?  very weird ...

Security Document Signing The Norm?
Jun 06, 2014

Just getting a chance to finally get hired!!! A requirement is to electronically sign documents swearing to confidentiality and another stating that "Additionally, as part of our contract with the Florida Department of Children and Families, we must ensure that each of our Independent Contractors meets the department's internal security and HIPAA confidentiality requirements. Are these normal to be signed by companies?  ...

Has Anyone Else Noticed Any Problems When Signing Into Fluency. It Seems
Oct 30, 2014

for the last two days it has been very slow at times loading and this morning it logged in very slowly.  Not sure what is going on. ...

Doc Manually Signing A Letter Or Chart Note
Jul 14, 2010

I work for 9 specialty docs so I type a lot of letters.   Two of the docs have me stamp their outgoing letters with their name.  One doc has a manual signature line.  Our physician insurance company representative was recently here doing an audit and said that is not legal and that the docs must sign each and every letter or at least initial them.  Can you tell me if she is correct?  Is there somewhere where I can actually get some documentation as to the ...

I Wonder If Mmodal Regrets Signing The Indian Contract
Mar 01, 2013

They have terrible accuracy and a lot of the US MT's are leaving because of the no work situation. I wonder if they regret ever signing the contract with India.  I guess you get what you pay for ...

TT/IMEDX: Anyone Getting This Error Mssg When Signing Into Fluency?
Feb 04, 2015

"DEP.Shell.Transcription"   ? ...

Iridium. Anyone Hear Back After Passing Test And Signing HIPAA
Mar 02, 2010

Patiently waiting. ...

Something FISHY About Iridium Services. After Passing Test And Signing HIPAA
Mar 05, 2010

Did we just help them get rid of their backlog? ...

TAA Petition =
Jan 21, 2010

As suggested the other day, I e-mailed my TAA regional director since all I was getting from my One-Stop Career Center person & UI was that I needed a letter stating a lay off date or that there was an imminent threat of lay off. She sent me a note, then cc'd my e-mail to my state director.  Here are their responses: Regional:  You would need a qualifying separation in order to be eligible for Trade benefits as you have not been determined to be an adversely affected incumbe ...

Does Anyone Know If There Has Been A TAA Petition
Aug 16, 2013

filed with the DOL for Nuance employees?  I know MModal has one and lots of their employees, both past and present, are taking advantage of the schooling and other benefits.  If not filed for Nuance employees could we model one after the MModal petition?  Anybody have any information?  ...

Petition (sm)
Apr 02, 2014

Petition for Joint Commission to change standards in health care documentation.  This was created by an MT.  ...

Sign The Petition
Jun 20, 2011

I found a petition to sign against sending work offshore.  Its at ataus.org (American Transcription Assocation).  You do  not have to be a member to sign it.  Does anyone else know about any petitions?  ...

Petition To Retain Value Of MT
Mar 13, 2011

http://www.ahdi-west.org/advocacy/petition-letter-to-legislators/ ...

We All Need To Sign This Petition If We Want
Nov 30, 2012

It only takes a minute of your time, and your MT career is on the line. ...

Petition To Keep Jobs In USA
Dec 08, 2012

http://wh.gov/Nz78 This looks a lot like one posted here a couple weeks ago. It's on a facebook page. It says it takes 150 signatures within 30 days for it to go live on the White House website. I see you have to register to sign, but I just did, and it only takes a minute. Please sign. We need to try to do something about losing our jobs to other countries. ...

Petition #81128
Feb 08, 2013

Everyone who is trade affected due to work being shifted to India with reduced hours is potentially eligible under this petition at http://doleta.gov/tradeact  I met with a representative today who encouraged me to tell other workers in this situation about the possible benefits from the department of labor.   Contact your state office to find out if you qualify.  It offers potential benefits for retraining in another occupation that has expected growth potential as wel ...

PLEASE SIGN THIS PETITION
Feb 13, 2013

A petition to the White House for bringing our work back! https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/bring-back-all-united-states-medical-record-transcription-be-performed-only-us-us-medical/TJzSQpZq Once this is through we need one to nix SR!!!! ...

Question About The Petition
Aug 20, 2013

I can't find what I want to know on the site. Who's going to deliver it and to whom? What's the end-goal figure for signatures?  I know the new goal on there is 200, but I can't believe whoever is in charge of it is going to stop there, are they? ...

When Does The TAA Petition Expire?
Aug 21, 2013

x ...

Anyone Know Anything About The Trade Act Petition?
Dec 16, 2013

Got a call today from the Dept of Labor and the nice lady said I was entitled to educational benefits of $27,000.00 and/or if I got a job for, let's say, $10.00 an hour "they" would pay me $5 more because of something to do with MModal and NA Free Trade; that MModal was "adversely effected" (her words) because of outsourcing----that Americans are now missing out on jobs, etc., ect.....Really didn't know what to make of all what she was saying, but I told her to send me the paperwork. S ...

Trade Act Petition
Apr 02, 2014

New petition # is 85182. It is currently awaiting a decision. Our previous petition expired the end of March. Hopefully the new petition will be approved. ...

Can Someone Re-post That Trade Act Petition.
Jan 11, 2010

I tried looking it up in search mode and cannot find it, yet I know I saw it posted here not too long ago.  Thanks! ...