A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Help with ophthalmology terms - Cathy

Posted: Jun 18, 2010

Need some help with these terms that are some type of eye surgery.  They are mentioned in the past medical history. Resident dictates what sounds like "rule-op-sis" to the right eye (spells this rulptoss, which I am sure doesn't spell anything!) and "lul-pop-tosis" to the left eye (spells this lulptosos, which also doesn't spell anything!). 

I would greatly appreciate any ideas you have!

I am on my last nerve with these students, residents, foreign doctors, etc., being unable to correctly pronounce and/or spell anything! If you can't correctly pronounce medical terms or speak the English language, you should not be allowed to practice medicine! (Okay, enough of my ranting now.)

Here are a few ideas sm. - FlaMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Words that come to mind are proptosis, blepharotosis and ptosis. Though they don't fit with the spellings your doc gives, maybe it's a starting point. Just throwing out a few terms to work with. Hope you can figure it out :)

RUL LUL right left upper lid ptosis proptosis - Janie

[ In Reply To ..]

Not sure if one or both are ptosis or proptosis.  You will have to listen carefully.  

RUL = right upper lid ptosis

LUL = left upper lid proptosis 

Thanks for the help! - Cathy

[ In Reply To ..]
The way he was saying these terms I wasn't thinking that the first part was an abbreviation! I thought it was all one word. They were RUL ptosis and LUL ptosis.

Similar Messages:

Ophthalmology Help Please
Jan 19, 2011

I just got a new client that is an ophthalmology group.  The doctor is saying, "Pachymetry measurements by ultrasound pachymetry are 508 microns OD and 510 microns OS.  ___________ are 46.5 x 47.2 flat meridian at 1 OD and 46.75 x 47.75 flat meridian at 1 OS." Where the blank is it sounds like K.A's or Cave's???  Is there such a thing.  I can't seem to find anything similar.  Your help is greatly appreciated. ...

More Ophthalmology
Oct 22, 2013

The patient is undergoing vitrectomy.  "Of note, the anterior segment, she did have significant nuclear ________ with cortical spoking as well as iris synechia inferiorly."  It sounds like "squadric" or something of that nature.    ...

Terms
Jul 16, 2010

X-rays shows questioning loosening of s/l acetoid process in the left. Broken s/l schakloz wires. The doc is examining the patient's hips. Any help much apreciated. Thank you!   ...

EKG Terms
Dec 16, 2010

Does anyone have a good site for EKG terms.  I have this physician using terms I have never heard before like what sounds like "white count fixed ectopy" and maybe my brain is just tired (like that is anything new :0) but for the life of me I cannot figure out what he is saying.  I HATE to leave blanks so any help would be much appreciated at this wonderful hour of the night ( 12 am here) Thanks!! ...

X-ray Terms
Apr 18, 2011

Is it 3 view x-ray or a three-view x-ray or does it matter? thanks in advance! ...

Help - EKG Terms
Nov 26, 2012

I have 2 blanks not able to understand.  The first one sounds like oil or soil and the second one sounds like towish (tow like towel) maybe tawlish.  A 12-lead EKG showed a slightly sinus _____ pattern in the 1 and _____ P wave in lead 2, so I cannot rule out the possibility of borderline atrial enlargement. TIA ...

Can Anyone Help Me With These Terms
Mar 02, 2015

I am not a medical transcriptionist.  I usually do general transcription.  I have a doctor speaking, using some terminology I cannot find.  May I give you a phonetic description of what I think he is saying?  If anyone recognizes this, could you please give me some suggestions on what you think he is saying. I'm hearing "brocoderal species" that causes "glanders amyloidosis".  Does this ring any bells for anyone?   ...

Ophthalmology Question
Oct 17, 2009

I rarely ever get these types of reports and need help with how to type this sentence: His refractive error is a -0.50  +1.25 axis at 170. I do not know where/if to put commas, if it should be typed -0.50 plus 125 or -0.50 + 1.25, or as above sample. Any help would be much appreciated. ...

Ophthalmology Books
Dec 09, 2009

The only ophthalmology book I am aware of is Stedman's.  Is there another one that is better?  I am only a little bit familiar with ophthalmology OP's and need a good book.  Thanks. ...

Ophthalmology Instruments
Dec 10, 2009

Replying to probably old message in Google.  Correct spelling of instruments commonly used in cataract extraction:  Utrata forceps, cystitome.  Procedure: capsulorrhexis.  ...

Ophthalmology Medication Help
Apr 23, 2010

The patient is to discontinue the s/l *Ocuvar* topical eye drops. Searching and cannot find this .. any suggestions? Tia ...

Ophthalmology Surgery
May 24, 2011

It's a cataract surgery. Hemostasis of the *sounds like limbo area was obtained using wet-field cautery. Dictation is very quiet so I can't tell for sure. Thanks in advance! ...

Ophthalmology Surgery HELP
Apr 16, 2014

Patient is having what sounds like some kind of eye surgery. Diagnosis sounds like: Upper "lido matic ecalasia" functionally limiting. Bilateral upper lid ptosis functionally limiting. HELP! ...

Transcription Terms
Oct 14, 2010

The sentence "Hemodialysis was done on that day, and one liter of fluid was removed"  is one liter  correct or is it 1L or 1 liter???? ...

Terms In EP Report
Mar 12, 2012

Anyone familiar with these terms, can't even hear him well enough to get a s/l    The P onset ________ was 0, the P onset *DVJ or AVJ* was 13.     TIA!    ...

Missing Terms
Oct 03, 2012

Hi, I want to say thanks for trying to help me. There is subluxation of the right thumb with limitation of motion include 4/5 apposition. There is considerable weakness of the right hand when compare to the left. There is decrease in the right radial reflex. The subluxation is probably secondary to the absence of ______ _____ of original fixation. Loose component, total joint replacement, right metacarpal joint. Hi, I want to say thanks for trying to help me. I am struggling to figure ...

Dental Terms
Jan 21, 2014

In a dispute with supv'r over spelling of some dental words.  Can anyone verify and give source especially for: prophy vs. phrophy paste. enameloplasty vs. enamelplasty.   There was one more, but I cannot remember right now.  Thanks!   ...

Questions About Ophthalmology Report Plz??
Oct 14, 2010

"Very pleased that the glaucoma surgery we did in the left eye is working well and the pressure is nice/tender (thats what it sounds like but not sure if its right) in the left eye and 16 in the right eye."    "The left eye showed a little bit of conjunctiva infection which may be due to the" s/l alfican or elfican? (He changed the patient then to Xalatan). Thank you for helping!!  ...

Opinions On Ophthalmology Transcription?
Dec 13, 2010

I've been editing and transcribing an ophthalmology account for a month now. I find it very difficult with many abbreviations and tests.  I also find it really hard to find things on the Internet related to same, unlike with the other specialties with which I'm familiar. Anyone else dislike ophthalmology as much as I do?   ...

Ophthalmology Word Site
Feb 07, 2011

Can anyone recommend an great opthalmology site to use for reference? ...

Ophthalmology Spelled Wrong Twice In Ad
Dec 27, 2011

Nobody cares anymore. ...

Ophthalmology Position Testing
Jul 09, 2012

Has anyone tried testing for this?  I cannot get the file to upload into Express Scribe and the dictator is talking warpspeed!  If anyone would like to share how they did it, I would appreciate it! ...

DSG In Terms Of Their Work Flow
Feb 09, 2010

I am curious as to how people who work for DSG feel about DSG in terms of their work flow and if you have enough work to fill a 40-hour week.  If you prefer private e-mail, that's fine.  Not looking for either slamming or touting the company, but I do want OBJECTIVE information, which would include if you run out of work consistently or, conversely, if you have plenty of work to keep you going 40 hrs a week.  Just the facts please.  "I run out of work all the time," "I have plenty of ...

Anatomical And Directional Terms
Aug 05, 2010

Can you combine any two anatomical or directional terms, just because they are dictated adjacent to each other? ...

Two OB/GYN Terms (abbreviations) Unfamiliar With
Oct 10, 2010

Haven't done enough of these complicated OB reports I guess.  Doc says patient had what sounds like "COREO" (in which she lost the baby) and something that sounds like "TOCOS" in relation to some cervical irritability.  Can't find anything to verify either.  Any suggestions?   ...

Where Do I Send The Reqs To Fix ASR Terms
Jul 10, 2012

tired of fixing wrong terms that look right..starting my list again..Dont know why I bother they send them to India who screws them up and its just a cycle...I like to bang my head against the wall too!!! ...

Ophthalmology Exam S/l Dismaculan Vessels
Jun 15, 2010

The doc says "Retina examination shows normal _____ vessels." After having googled and googled, I wonder if he is saying disk macula and vessels or maybe disk-macula and vessels.  I have found a hyphenated "disk-macula" but only once, so I don't know whether to trust this or not. And it could be something else.  It could be "dis-something," but I just can't find anything that begins with "dis" related to eye anatomy. It could be "disk," which actually would make some sen ...

Know Of Any Good Ophthalmology Word Books?
Sep 22, 2010

I am looking for a great ophthalmology reference book, know any? Thanks ...

S/l Sung Examination- Ophthalmology Report
Nov 17, 2010

s/l "song or sung examination shows a clear transplant in the right eye and increasing nuclear sclerosis in the left eye." ...

Ophthalmology Is Such A Hard Word To Spell.
Jan 21, 2012

Even the job postings have it misspelled all the time.  Four consonents in a row is a tongue buster.  ...