A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

new to medical transcription-Dragon? - blondie

Posted: Jan 26, 2013

I'm new to medical transcription and thinking about buying Dragon software.  Does it work on wav files from different doctors?  If you have a Mac and MacSpeech could you transfer those files to the Mac and then back to the PC to send back?  I don't want all of my work done through Dragon, I just want it more for clarification and accuracy.  

Thanks!

If you are new - don't mess with VR (sm) - Angie

[ In Reply To ..]
VR is NOT something to rely on for accuracy and clarification! You cannot depend on VR to create an accurate record without an experienced MT/editor checking it. A person new to MT does not have the experience to accurately edit VR. Therefore using it places the patient at high risk for errors that can result in serious risk to their lives. This doesn't even start to go into software conversion and compatibility issues.

Seriously? - djr

[ In Reply To ..]
Is this a real post? Why in the world would you want to go through all that just to get some clarification. Doing something like that will probably just create lots of mistakes (way more than you'd make on your own). I'm truly not trying to be sarcastic, but depend on your own ears and eyes, not on some machine with no critical thinking ability whatsoever.

new to medical transcription-Dragon? - blondie

[ In Reply To ..]
Because I have some hearing loss and I know I would have to edit it but I'm just nervous about my own accuracy. I also have trouble understanding the different accents.
Didn't you feel that way when you first started? I'm just looking different ways to make myself and work better. Don't be so judgmental.

SM - djr

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not being judgmental, I just think that you may be out of your depth. I've been a transcriptionist and an instructor for several years, and as someone with a lot of experience with straight typing, offshore editing, VR editing, and training new MTs, I can tell you that the only thing you can trust is yourself.

I also would think that someone with hearing loss should NOT be doing any kind of editing. Especially at the end of the day, things start to run together. For example, Naprosyn and naproxen look and sound an awful lot alike and the VR often gets them confused. Your ears will hear it, your eyes will see it as "close enough" and you may move on without even realizing it. I've caught myself doing this at the end of the day when I'm already a little brain-fried.

Just be super extra careful if you decide to use something like that. It also sounds like a technical nightmare that might not be worth the effort even if it didn't create extra errors. Good luck :)
just learning too! - blondie
[ In Reply To ..]
The course that I took also teaches VR. I am not out of my depth. You can't tell me EVERY SINGLE medical transcription has 100% hearing. Thanks for the advice, I will not buy the Dragon software.
I teach VR too.... - djr
[ In Reply To ..]
I think that's best.

I teach VR in my program too, and the dictations used for students are a LOT easier than in the "real world." You don't want to unnecessarily confuse yourself by adding in a bunch of extra steps. If you're worried about accuracy, just take your time starting off and make sure everything makes sense. You will probably find that VR doesn't get the hard stuff wrong. The things it gets wrong are the things that are easy to miss.
not easy... - blondie
[ In Reply To ..]
Well, I can't really say I know how the dictations are in the "real world", but the dictations my school uses are tough. Both VR and straight transcription. I'm not complaining, I know that it's teaching me and I HAVE learned a lot. I love the research when I don't understand a word or procedure and come to find out I got it right! I love that feeling. I received a lot of good advice on here and won't be buying Dragon. I'm just a couple of weeks from my final and nervous but I will do it and be an awesome transcriptionist! Thanks again.
Transcription with hearing loss....sm - me
[ In Reply To ..]
I too have hearing loss and in fact, had to sit out a semester after it happened and now have tinnitus on top of it. However, you can still be very successful in medical transcription, but it does take extra effort in learning and double-checking what you think you hear and what should go there. My advice... buy the best headset and sound card you can (this goes to nonhearing impaired MTs as well) and keep notes, save out samples (if you are allowed), etc. I personally can recommend the Dictaphone Stereo Deluxe headset (comes in a variety of configurations and plugs), and I use a SoundBlaster Pro external sound card with Media Toolbox 6 sound-enhancing/clarity software. I have edited behind thousands of transcriptionists and can fill in blanks and edit behind transcriptionists with no hearing loss on the toughest of dictators (this comes with experience too). Please flag anything you are unsure of though. Good luck!

Perspective - Everybody has those issues, not just you

[ In Reply To ..]
You are experiencing the same things that plague other new MTs, but you are blaming them on yourself, getting "nervous" about them, and trying to solve them with Dragon.

Not everyone hears the same. Few people encounter accents and understand them straight off. Not everyone has the same computer skills, spelling ability, and command of writing and grammar.

These are all things you need to learn to do MT. They are the things EVERYONE needs to learn. Some are better than others at them, but everyone still needs to learn them.

You can look for ways to make yourself work better, but in the end the only sure-fire way is to learn these things FOR YOURSELF.

Some people approach learning new skills with the idea that they can find ways around learning them. Others just accept that these are skills they need to learn and devote their time to learning them.

Dragon sounds real good because of its advertising hype. Because you don't know better, you're buying into that. Really, though, Dragon isn't going to hear any better than you do AND if you can't do the work on your own, you will be in no position to know if Dragon did it right or not.

You just need to do what every new MT does . . . learn to do the work yourself. I had to do that. Everyone hear had to do that. You CAN do that, too.
thank you! - blondie
[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for your advice and you are right. I am looking to depend on something else instead of my own confidence and skills. I appreciate you saying that everyone experiences this when first starting out. This has been something I have wanted for a long time and I will succeed!! Thanks again!!

I was kind of wondering the same thing. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I know others have used it for production purposes. Of course, it will still need edited, but I guess it could save some keystrokes and serve as a learning technique.

I hope you get someone to post that uses it as I know people do, I just don't know anyone personally.

Have you tried doing a search on here in the archives? I haven't done that yet but would be interested to see if anything comes up.

Clarification and accuracy??? - Wondering

[ In Reply To ..]
You don't want to use it in general, but you want to use it for "clarification and accuracy"???

Wondering what that means . . . I think you believe that it will tell you what the doctor is saying when you don't understand it yourself.

That isn't likely, at least not if you are a legitimate MT, i.e., one trained in a good course. If you are that, then you should be able to understand what you hear well enough to exceed Dragon.

The amount of time spent comparing your wor with Dragon's would be prohibitive. It would not be worth the time.

I can't say it would help you learn, either. It makes errors, too, and to an astounding degre.

See, that's the thing. Dragon may interpret - what the dictator said SM

[ In Reply To ..]
perfectly. The problem is, the word the dictator used was the absolute wrong word. Something as simple as saying kidney function tests instead of liver function tests and go on to list the different names and values. Someone without MT experience would read that and think it was correct. An experienced MT would know it was wrong (now this is a very simple example, but I hope you get what I am trying to say). A more serious example would be medications and dosages (as in the recent lawsuit, in which case even if the dictator is correct, the VR is not, and it is up to the MT to know that.

It has to be 3 pronged: VR, dictator, and MT. The intelligent one must be the MT. Never count on the other 2 prongs to be accurate.

I really agree with the poster who was talking about learning for yourself. You can't go wrong with that. If you want to do this as a helping tool, so be it, but never think it is smarter than you once you have experience.

good point! - blondie

[ In Reply To ..]
I never even thought about that, that is an excellent point! I did an appendectomy report the other day and the doctor said he put the appendix back in the cavity. WHAT???? Granted, I would still have to edit it but I think all of my focus would be on the editing instead of the quality of the transcription. Thank you for bringing that up!!

You have to train it to one voice. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The only halfway successful use of VR by MTs is by 'redictating' (but not really much more speedy, if any faster, than what the MT could do on their own straight typing). In other words, listening to the dictation and resaying what you're hearing. And that only works halfway well with the most expensive, professional version of Dragon (around $800 or so?). You can't just run different voices through it and expect it to work, sorry, doesn't work that way except for the large companies who have a much more expensive set-up than you or I could ever afford.

Similar Messages:

Using Dragon Medical Practice, Version 2 For Transcription, Coding, Billing, Editing - Is It Worth I
Dec 29, 2014

It was recently suggested to me that I get Dragon Medical practice Edition, Version 2 for use on transcription, coding, billing and editing. As someone who works from home, I am hoping to investigate the pros and cons of investing in this program and whether its worth it ($1,399.00!!) Does anyone have any experience using this program for transcription, etc who would like to comment? Is it worth the time investment and the money investment? Is the program fairly easy to set up and use ie: l ...

Dragon Medical
Aug 26, 2012

My son's pediatrician says she tried the Dragon product for doctor's to dictate and edit their own work.  She says Vyvanse came out as underpants and every time she tried to correct it, it came out something else - even after she spelled it.  She gave up -- what a surprise.....   I think that has a place in clinic work, if doctors aren't pressed to see a thousand patients in a day by their employer, but definitely not fit for hospital dictation.  Frankly, I w ...

Dragon Medical 360 - EScription
Mar 28, 2014

Question for those who work from home on eScription -  Dragon Medical 360, what is the real purpose of doing:  Alt + . when one, when at the right point, can just do "." on its own?  Does that have something to do with how Nuance charges the client for lines?  I was just wondering if anyone knows.  Appreciate an answer to this. ...

Dragon Medical Upgrade - Resale?
Dec 08, 2011

Can you resell Dragon Naturally Speaking software by Nuance?  I'm looking to upgrade from Dragon Medical 9/10 to 11, which is now called Dragon Medical Practice Edition, and the upgrade costs $599.  Can a person who has bought this sell it if they no longer use it?  Does anyone ever see either the program itself or the upgrade for resale?  Has anyone seen it for less than $599 lately?  Far as I can tell this Medical version isn't even sold at Nuance anymore, ju ...

Remote MTs Using Dragon Medical For Typing Reportsmote Users
Jan 28, 2012

Hi guys:  I used to a hospital MT with just straight typing.  I was paid by hour, good job, then outsourced to making cents a line.  I had a job for 3 years with company only paying VBC.  I had to have a job with benefits so I took it and lasted with them for 3 years until they lost the account.   Now I have landed a job with just straight typing, but still VBC.  They line count is very very high and I am struggling to make the lines.  I even had an expander, ...

Dragon Medical 360 |eScription Speech Powered Version
Oct 25, 2012

could someone please explain to me what this is, since per today's email approximately 2000 of us are moving to it end of this month? Thank you in advance for any and all information! ...

Medical Transcription At Home To Become A Medical Scribe?
Jan 20, 2015

Has anybody left medical transcription at home to become a medical scribe?  I have an opportunity to do so but there aren't any scribes currently in my area and I don't know anyone who has worked as a scribe before.  The scribe position starting pay is almost double what I make as an MT per hour so it is very tempting, I just don't know much about it. ...

Can Anyone Tell Me Info On August Medical Transcription Or Transcription South
May 29, 2013

I have found a few things on these companies but was looking to find a little more in depth information from past or current employees. ...

Prn Military Transcription/prn Medical Transcription
Jun 25, 2014

Anyone hear from them yet?  Over 1100 views, that means a billion resumes. ...

Offshore Transcription Stories Wanted- Medical Malpractice Cases Related To Offshore Transcription M
Oct 15, 2009

A legal contact was inquiring about the connection of medical mistakes related to off-shored transcription mistakes.  I have told him to review these boards and hopefully he will benefit from the information here.  While he did not discuss the exact case, I think that he will be able to use the off-shore transcription issue to his client's benefit or at least highlight that the provider in question does not have as rigorous control on processing records as other pr ...

What Is HB Medical Transcription???
Mar 06, 2010

I've been in the medical transcription industry for 16 years and dont have any clue what HB medical transcription is. There is a job posted which has been filled, but I for the life of me cannot figure that out, unless it is hispanic/bilingual.  Can someone help me out!  ...

VLC Medical Transcription
Jul 24, 2010

Does anyone know if the Virtual Learning Center still exists?  I am not getting any responses to emails to them.  The website has changed since the last time I looked at it.  Also, I thought they were supposed to be the third best of the top three medical transcription companies to learn from.  If they are not, who is?  ...

JLG Medical Transcription
Sep 09, 2010

Any info on JLG pros/cons, pay would be greatly appreciated. ...

Medical Transcription.
Jan 21, 2011

I have a certificate through Stratford Career Institute and have had a hard time trying to get employment. I don't have any prior experience in the medical transcription field and am very interested in getting pointed in the right direction on what to do from here on how I can further a career in this field. If anyone can be of some help please let me know. ...

Non Medical Transcription
Feb 02, 2011

I am an independent contractor. Have always charged per line count. Have an opportunity to transcribe 30 minute audio interviews. Any thoughts on what or how to charge for this? Thanks! ...

Qed Medical Transcription
Apr 02, 2011

Has anyone ever tried taking the typing test for QED transcription? For some reason I am not getting into the testing site.  '( ...

U.S. Transcription Non Medical
Sep 01, 2011

I answered an ad for U.S. Transcription posted on MT Jobs, was asked to test, and within an hour of submitting my test I was offered a job.  After my heart came down from a happy dance at an actual job offer, I found I really have some things to think about before I say yes. This would be for 2nd shift, non-medical transcription at 0.06/cpl for straight transcription, 0.03/cpl if a company provided template is used.  I suppose I need to ask what my expected production would be before ...

Looking At Going Into Medical Transcription
Nov 14, 2011

I am looking into the Medical Transcription field but wanted to get info about the field from those that are in it before I take the plunge.  I'm not looking at earning a huge salary or medical benefits etc, just some extra to help the HH income. I'm looking at Career Step for my certificate. Any factual info or career experience would be appreciated. ...

Same Day Medical Transcription
Mar 24, 2012

Has anyone heard anything about this transcription company or done any work for them?  What was your experience?  Thanks. ...

New To Medical Transcription
Apr 20, 2012

I'm fairly new to medical transcription. I received my certification in 2010 and was a little discouraged when applying for jobs and they were all looking for experienced agents to work from home. I've recently decided to start back looking for work and decided to offer my services free of charge just to get the experience so I can apply in a year or two for actual paying work. Has anyone else done this or know how to get started? Or even know someone who needs a transcription intern? ...

USA Medical Transcription, Inc.
May 03, 2012

Watch out for this company .... They seem a bit strange. ...

USA Medical Transcription, Inc ??
May 12, 2012

Has anyone heard of USA Medical Transcription, Inc?? I can't find a website for them although when I do a reverse (fax) number look-up, it says it's in Palm Beach, FL. Info is appreciated! ...

Anyone Ever Do Non-medical Transcription And Like It?
Sep 25, 2012

Anyone ever do non-medical transcription? I'm interested to know if you liked it. I tried it for a few days and just decided it wasn't for me. A lot of it was phone conversations and was very hard to understand and I ended up leaving lots of blanks. The pay was bad too and I gave it up today. It was like torture to me to sit and listen to this voice file and one was almost 2 hours long that I did not finish before I quit. Appreciate anyone's input into this. I am feeling ba ...

Non-medical Transcription?
Dec 08, 2012

I'm a 2011 MT grad who posted not long ago looking for advice.  While googling MT companies to apply to, I found some non-medical transcription services, namely one that transcribes dialogue from a video for production/entertainment companies.  This site had instructions and a download to take the test.  What the heck, I'm going to take it and see what happens.  Since MT is practically a dead-end career, I've been trying to come up with ther ways to utilize my ...

For Those Of You Who Took Medical Transcription
Apr 18, 2013

I having been checking out various things lately with regards to where I would like to go job wise in the near future. I started out going to school for nursing and completed all the pre-reqs: Anatomy and Physiology I & II, biology, psychiatry, basic nutrition, algebra and English etc. Half-way through I hit a bump in the road and had to take a break from school and instead of sitting out a full year, I decided to do something less stressful, which is how I got into medical transcription. L ...

Getting Out Of Medical Transcription
Apr 29, 2013

I WANT out.  I have applied for numerous jobs, what I do, I just want to hit a time cloc just to have something to get out.  I don't carek.  I am so tired of being stressed and the happy days, when I have tons of work, just to be hit the next day with zero work, and stress on my off days that maybe I should log in and "catch up". I WANT out.  I have applied for numerous jobs, not even caring what I do, I just want to hit a time clock and KNOW what my schedule will be and KNOW how ...

Thank You Medical Transcription
Aug 23, 2013

I quit a job a dozen years ago to jump into the "Work At Home" dream.  I had little money, was quite naive, worked from dark to dark with absolutely no help from the small MTSO, who later ripped me off $5,000.  BUT, I learned. After my first experience with "running out of work", I just found more work.  I got unusually lucky and found a job and was MTing again in a few days. That gig gave me nearly 10 years of working for another small MTSO.  I got busy and made tons of mon ...

Looking For Non-medical Transcription -
Nov 25, 2014

think I am in need of a change been doing this 40 years, so was considering non-medical transcription instead. Anyone know of any companies worth checking out. Also been looking outside of home but reaching retirement age anyway, so figure would not even have a chance in the outside world. TIA ...

New England Medical Transcription?
Oct 21, 2009

Anyone out there work for New England Medical Transcription?  I'm interested in them and hoping to get hired on their clinic accounts whenever they start hiring for them again... Are they good about keeping you in work during the time when you want to work? Any pros, cons, good or bad experiences will be appreciated!   Thanks! ...

What Is The Name Of The Platform That PRN Medical Transcription Uses?
Oct 26, 2009

x ...