A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

cpu shut down - sm

Posted: Sep 28, 2012

Actually, 2 days in a row, when I started my machine, it was on, but no screen.  Today it said it was a cpu shut down due to thermal event.  So is my computer going to need replaced soon? 

Possible solution . . . - SoCal MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I was having similar problems with my computer. Also, a very noisy fan started running several times a day. I took my computer into a shop, and they discovered the heat sink was coated with dust. That causes extreme heat. The computer is trying to protect itself by shutting down or running a fan.

I had been told to never use compressed air to clean out the inside of the computer. The Geek Squad guys at BestBuy told me that. However, using compressed air to blow the dust out is exactly what needs to be done, and it needs to be done regularly. I blow mine out about once a month. Also, you can use q-tips to gently wipe dirt and dust off the fan blades. There are usually at least 2-3 fans that can be accessed easily. You must be careful to not touch any wires though, as they are soldered in and not very secure.

So, a can of compressed air and q-tips may solve your computer issues. Be careful to not shake the can of air, and also to only blow in short bursts. Otherwise, the compressed air liquifies, and you don't want moisture blown into your computer.

I hope this all helps. :)

Compressed air - Nancy

[ In Reply To ..]
Compressed air is fine so long as the strength is not too high (some compressors are brutal). Just make sure your computer is turned off and unplugged because you don't want something coming loose and shorting it out. Also, while it is unplugged, run your fingers over the capacitors (look like little pop/soda cans). If the top on one or more of the capacitors is bulging get yourself a new computer because that one is toast.

Similar Messages:

Fluency Just Shut Off
Feb 26, 2014

For the love of Mike! ...

Another Friday Night Of Having To Shut Down
Nov 26, 2010

While that stupid background virus scan is working on all workstations!!! Can the management people who work behind the scene not get it through their heads that this interrupts everything?? Geeze. My computer locks up every single time this thing runs and it always runs every Friday night. They must be using some updated Java thing with the program because that is what locks me up. My computer has an older Java version that they are using and right in the middle of running their scan, Java mess ...

System Shut Down When Working
Apr 09, 2014

Does anyone else have this happen???!!! I was working on a horrible report, bad quality, lots to fix. I stopped to go get the mail, make a sandwich. When I got back, it had shut down "after being inactive for one hour" WHAT? I was NOT gone for an hour. This has happened to me before. Now this report that I had spent over 20 minutes on and was just going to recheck it, I get nothing for! ...

Is The Company Board Shut Down Or Broken? Nm
May 24, 2010

nm ...

MTJobs And MTDaily Websites Have Shut Down-sm
Jan 09, 2015

I just noticed that MTJobs and MTdaily are no longer functioning... ...

Wow, They Shut You Out Of Webmail Quickly After You Quit
Mar 21, 2015

Like within 2 to 3 hours. It's not like I care about the e-mails in the account, but wouldn't they want to talk to me about getting their foot pedal back to them? Or removing software?   Anyway, I'm free! ...

Bill S.3480 Will Give Feds Power To Shut Down The Internet
Jun 16, 2010

The internet is a dangerous place and this goes a bit too far but it is illustrative of how the danger is being recognized. I think it is just a matter of time before medical records will no longer be processed over the internet. Once that happens, perhaps our jobs will come back. ...

Wmx/nuance Paycut Meeting,listen To Tape Shut Up Or QUIT, Nuance Attitude?
Dec 12, 2011

According to a poster below which has apparently already attended one of the payroll meetings (as the poster posted) for nuance they have decided to keep the incentive part of all of our pay going with an exception that now you have to have over the industry standard of 98% to get a production based incentive. In addition (if this poster is accurate) they have again cut the overall pay from 8 and 4 to 3 3/4 AND 7 1/2. This is nothing but a bunch of crapploa...an MT who is now getting ...

Why When I Shut Down Escription, Does My Computer Make A Lot Of "noise?" S/m
Sep 05, 2012

Like if you were installling or deleting stuff.  Do you think they have spyware in there to run a report of what all you did or did not do during your shift?  I do check FB, emails, news in between jobs because VR SUCKS AND BORES ME TO DEATH. ...