A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

The shoe and the other Foot - Just a qestion

Posted: Dec 03, 2010

I was just wondering, reading the job ads, if it would be considered offensive to the experienced MT for ads for employment to state:

No senior or experienced MT's over 5 years need apply!

Ok, sure it is hypothetically a stupid question but, even though no experienced MT will answer it honestly, still makes a point.

No matter what, if every job you looked at AUTOMATICALLY knocked you out of the water because the company preferred newer, younger, fresher, more trainable, less set in their way employees, you might be writing this same post.

Maybe? Anyone honest here? LOL 

Not such a bright "qestion" - mymt

[ In Reply To ..]
Why is it insulting to a newbie to be told we don't hire newbies?

IMO, there are some companies who do, in essence, discourage more experienced MTs to apply. If an ad says, must have 1 year experience or if they are only looking for newbies, then I know this is a company who doesn't want the MTS who know how to stand up for themselves with regard to rates and treatment, so I wouldn't consider applying. I'm not insulted by it. It's their business practice, I just don't have to stop in.

Same goes with companies citing they want 3-5, hell I saw 10, years of experience. While it doesn't necessarily reflect their price point, it does indicate to me that they are expecting someone who can walk in the door and do the job w/o lots of hand-holding.

Did you not look at a single ad for MT BEFORE you decided to go to school? It's sort of like diving out of the plane and then wondering if the parachute you bought from the kid next door will really open and save you.

Your point is not a well taken one, nor is it even sensible.

Thanks, - I guess the word I should have used was

[ In Reply To ..]
discouraged, not offended. Of course I didn't plan on this getting mass responses of accolade, we will see what happens. I am beginning to see that you experienced MT's really have a bad outlook towards "newbieâ??s" seriously. By making the comment that "I know this is a company who doesn't want the MTS who know how to stand up for themselves with regard to rates and treatment" you really think your up on a pedestal don't you. Way back in the good ole days, your telling me that your first MT job was for the greatest money that could be offered? You were so sure of yourself that as a newbie you were turning down job offers left and right because you can "stand up for your self"? If you answer yes, then seal yourself off in a time capsule so all the newbieâ??s can stop by and feast their eyes on a truly magical being. This why the post is entitle The shoe and the other foot, it is hard for someone who has out grown the smaller shoe to try and cram their big head, I mean foot, back into it so they can truly see the whole picture.

Not such a bright questioner - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
We do not have a negative attitude; we have a realistic attitude. Why should I pay a newbie (perhaps from a matchbook?) when there are many, many MTs with a world of experience looking for work who can hit the ground running without handholding--and without the sarcasm that you employ. Sarcasm is most generally used as a defense mechanism for unreasonable causes and points of view. Think about it.
Then please explain what attitude you think it is - And it is not realistic
[ In Reply To ..]
My original question directed no harm or ill will to anyone but you women can always be counted for the same old matchbox response. "Your not negative, just realistic" or "Your sarcasm depicts a defense mechanism because I am also a psychiatrist as well as an MT" blah blah. Any newbie is met with NOTHING but criticism, sarcasm, or everything to make them feel like they have wasted their time and money on this profession. All the job posts state NO NEWBIES, well not all of them. I understand them saying 1 to 2 years experience. To follow it up with NOW NEWBIES is just an outward visualization of a superiority complex. (chew on that one a bit DR.) You are right about it but apparently unaware of your phrasing or context problems. "Sarcasm is most generally used as a defense mechanism for unreasonable causes and points of view" Yes, she had unreasonable causes and points of view, ergo, I defended my VALID points of view with sarcasm. Your smart. YOU think about it. No question here is valid unless it is posted by an all mighty experienced MT. Can̢۪t we just learn that and let the nanny̢۪s bury this profession further. Maybe then we can start fresh with out all the bitterness.

Stupid question - me

[ In Reply To ..]
It would be both offensive AND ILLEGAL. Age discrimination is AGAINST FEDERAL EMPLOYMENT LAW.

Although I alrady stated that it was a stupid question - Yours

[ In Reply To ..]
Yours is probably the most accurate true response I will get. LOL In todays "sue happy" world though, so could experience descrimination. Could fit right in there with Affirmative action. Just another randome thought.

Age discriminaton? - LK

[ In Reply To ..]
Just because you're new at MT sure doesn't mean you're young! I've only got 5 years under my belt, and I'm not young unless you consider 54 to be young.

I consider - mtmt

[ In Reply To ..]
54 young (cause I'm 53!) but not at all new.

IMO, if you do your homework BEFORE you decide to dump your dollars in education, then you choose a school who works with you to get hired or who has a positive track record of relationships with employers. Otherwise, be prepared for sometimes months on end of fighting for opportunities. To blame the ads or the experienced MTs for the situation does no one any good. Be accountable for your own choices, we didn't make them, you did.

Age discrimination - Lorrie

[ In Reply To ..]
I am half way through my AAS degree and will be 55 in January, I hope I am not too old to start with a new career.
Lorrie - June
[ In Reply To ..]
You are NOT too old to start a new career. I am starting a new career and I am 65! You go, girl!

Unfortunately, it still happens everywhere, - especially in MT. -nm-

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Honest answer - Redwriter

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, I would find it offensive. I would also find it illegal (age descrimination), though with 30+ years, I suspect it occurs and have been known to take evasive resume action to keep working. But I also cringe at the word "newbie," and the pointless mean-spiritedness of it. In a business based on skills and the final product, it boggles my mind why anything counts in choosing employees other than results of the tests.

Thank you RedWriter - Anyone else?

[ In Reply To ..]
That might be the only honest one I get. My point of why it is offensive is mainly what you said. Experience does matter, but it does not exclude a candidate from being given a shot. The person who has ten years experience might be testing in a field that they haven't done a lot of and the "newbie" might have thrived in that field in school. Would you hire the experienced one who did worse on the test just because she has been in the business for 10 years.

Another reply said â??donâ??t blame the adsâ?? which I am not, but I am letting all the people know posting the ads to not sell their company short by knocking a large pool of fresh talent out of the running before they know what happened. Or maybe is it because companies donâ??t want flooded with 100 new graduates resume? Either way, you may get 95 MTâ??s who are just not right for you, but if you get 5 really good ones I believe going through the 100 was worth it.

Honest answers - headmt

[ In Reply To ..]
So you wanted replies that suited you, not really HONEST replies? OK.

Do you think these companies just fell off the turnip truck yesterday?

Do you think they've not gone through the process of hiring and TRAINING newbies only to find that their massive investment of time and money means the MT either fails or as soon as they get training they move on to another company. I was a person in charge of hiring MTs for decades. I didn't hire according to education or experience per se. I often went with my gut and how this person looked on paper and gave them a chance.

Repeatedly, time after time, year after year, the process was the same. Not 95% but more like 99% of the people hired could not cut it. Think of the time and money involved in going through 99 people to finally get one who can create some sort of profit for the company.

I once sent my boss a poster of Anne Geddes with babies in flower pots and told him that was the only way we were going to stay viable hiring MTs, grow them ourselves from birth.

Perhaps we need to find a way for a service to hire newbies and make a profit on doing it. Wait, I think they call that school now.

If you're the 1 in 100, then you will manage to get someone's attention and get your shot. All you can do is keep trying. But the reality we're ALL in this to make money and companies are finding it's just too difficult to make money training new MTs.

Offensive, nah. Probably a saving grace - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Frankly, it would show such an extreme lack of business sense that the average "elder" (or whatever you want to call the opposite of a newbie) would probably be much happier somewhere else.

A lot of newbies seem to graduate from school thinking they know everything, and the experience helps you to learn what it is you don't know. For instance, and this is not a matter of being grammar police but rather to make the point, you have repeatedly typed your instead of you're. Once or twice could easily be a typo, but seeing it each and every time implies that the writer is unaware. And that is what you get with an experienced MT- we've learned the write word four when spill Czech dozen cache thumb.

Interesting comments - LK

[ In Reply To ..]
You're so right in your comments about a lot of newbies thinking they know more than they do, but when it comes to grammar, it never fails to amaze me how many "seasoned" MTs don't seem to understand the basics of grammar and punctuation. How they have survived in this business is beyond my understanding, but some have. My feeling is that if grammar and punctuation aren't your strong suit, you probably need to be in a different profession. You really should have that stuff down pat before you even begin MT training. It's like somebody who is not proficient at basic math deciding to pursue an accounting degree.

I also noticed the grammatical errors - JAZ

[ In Reply To ..]
in the OP posts. Reading the OP posts, this only justifies the reasoning behind a job post stating "NO NEWBIES" or 2+ years experience only.

There are companies who will hire newbies IF they can pass their test. You have to pass with 98% accuracy and this will be hard for the OP to do with the skills demonstrated in her posts.

I suggest to the OP to brush up on basic English writing skills before taking any test or sending in any resumes. JMO

JAZ - Retired MTSO

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm with you. I would never have hired the poster based on two reasons (1) Lack of facility with the English language and (2) Attitude. Thankfully, both of these deficiencies can be changed, and I wish her all the best. Hopefully she is just hitting a discouraging bad patch right now and will come out the other end in good shape.
I have hired new MTs who - JAZ
[ In Reply To ..]
thought they knew it all and could barely spell their own names. I do agree that sometimes a newbie can be easier to train because stating from scatch with no ingrained bad habits, but must have the basic English skills down to start with, which some schools seem to overlook in their curriculum. Again, some MTSOs will overlook experience based on testing.

I do wish the OP all the best in this field.

My Opinion - original poster is just pulling everyone's chain - Did he/she reply to his/her own post

[ In Reply To ..]

My opinion:  He/she is just pulling everyone’s chain.  This can be seen when using the example of his/her spelling and grammatical errors (again, I am not being the “grammar or spelling police” but have to use those as examples to make a point). 

The original poster made several replies and never uses a moniker, but because his/her spelling and grammar are so distinctive, it is easy to spot him/her.  For example, he/she misspelled the word “discrimination” the same way in two different posts, and also is the only one who uses quotes around “newbie.” 

The original poster actually replied to his/her own first post and then patted himself/herself on the back for agreeing.   

Since we can now edit our posts, I am going to copy 3 posts just in case the original poster tries to go back and correct the “gotcha” misspellings: 

ORIGINAL POSTER:

Although I alrady stated that it was a stupid question - Yours
Posted: Dec 3rd, 2010 - 1:51 pm In Reply to: Stupid question - me

Yours is probably the most accurate true response I will get. LOL In todays "sue happy" world though, so could experience descrimination. Could fit right in there with Affirmative action. Just another randome thought.

DIFFERENT POSTER OR ORGINAL POSTER?

Honest answer - Redwriter
Posted: Dec 3rd, 2010 - 3:42 pm In Reply to: The shoe and the other Foot - Just a qestion

Yes, I would find it offensive. I would also find it illegal (age descrimination), though with 30+ years, I suspect it occurs and have been known to take evasive resume action to keep working. But I also cringe at the word "newbie," and the pointless mean-spiritedness of it. In a business based on skills and the final product, it boggles my mind why anything counts in choosing employees other than results of the tests.

ORIGINAL POSTER:

Thank you RedWriter - Anyone else?
Posted: Dec 4th, 2010 - 10:29 am In Reply to: Honest answer - Redwriter

That might be the only honest one I get. My point of why it is offensive is mainly what you said. Experience does matter, but it does not exclude a candidate from being given a shot. The person who has ten years experience might be testing in a field that they haven't done a lot of and the "newbie" might have thrived in that field in school. Would you hire the experienced one who did worse on the test just because she has been in the business for 10 years…

Moral of the story:  If you are going to reply to your own posts, at least run it through a spell checker before you post it. 

Just my opinion, but wondering if anyone else thinks those posts were all by the same person? 

You betcha I think they are all - Nick
[ In Reply To ..]
by the same person--someone who could likely better use their time to learn basic grammar than come to a professional MT forum and troll.

They might as well put that in their ads, because - I experience "longevity" discrimination

[ In Reply To ..]
all the time. It's gotten to where I don't even both to apply to anyplace that has "date of birth", or "date of graduation" from school as a *required* field. I've worked for 6 companies in my lifetime, and I only list the last 1 on my resume. Even then, I still get passed over.

(LOL - maybe I should lie, and tell them I - live in Bangalore!)

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Really? - Longevity an issue

[ In Reply To ..]
I was a working MT, started and ran a service for about 15 years, and now have been a working MT again for the last 7 years and I never have a problem getting a gig. In fact, I pretty much show 35 years of MT experience and it hasn't seemed to have driven away any prospective employers.

I hope you're able to find something that fits soon if you're currently looking. Job hunting stinks!

I've been looking for 2+ years. Only a few worth even - applying for, only 1 interview, no offers. :(

[ In Reply To ..]
Those are very poor results for 2+ years - See message
[ In Reply To ..]
It sounds as if you may not enjoy this kind of work or else you were very poorly prepared for it or, and I hope this isn't the case, you don't have the attitude or motivation to work.

If you had been seriously looking and you had the skills the employers are looking for, you would have found something by now.

My best guess is that you really aren't looking very hard. :)

Shoe/foot - to OP - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
I was hired for my first MT job in acute care, fresh out of school with no experience at all. IMO, it is not experience that counts, it's talent, knowledge, willingness to learn, willingness to show up for work when you are scheduled, comply with your employer's requests, go the extra mile and be a team player that separates the women from the girls. It's tough for new MTs but it's tough for all of us right now. I have many years of experience but it is not my fault you can't find a job.

Shoe/foot - anonymous - Old Pro/Former MTSO

[ In Reply To ..]
Your comments are so right on. I see so many newbies whose attitude at the interview is "What have you done for me lately?" Sorry, I'll pass, thanks.

You took the words right out of my mouth - I have seen it too

[ In Reply To ..]
The applicant walks in or calls with a long list of demands, but few or very poor skills. What shocks me is the fact that they don't know that they have poor skills. Either nobody has told them or they didn't understand it when they heard it.

What about the ones who brag about their exceptional typing skills of 40 wpm! It isn't worth it to bother to explain that 40 wpm is not exceptionally good. It isn't worth it to bother to explain that the fact that they've learned a bunch of medical terms does not make them a medical transcriptionist. It does absolutely no good to tell them that they attended a school that grades things as correct when they are incorrect and have reports that don't even remotely resemble real dictation.

The applicant walks out of that interview or hangs up the phone thinking they deserved that job and we are mean not to hire them. We should give them a chance, they say, and nobody will give them a chance. They were given a chance and they failed it.

It isn't worth trying to explain any of it to them. They aren't listening.

Similar Messages:

Hot Shoe
Aug 05, 2010

HOT SHOE OR HOTCHU or whatever it sounds like,   this doctor keeps repeating this term.  Could anybody help me with this please? ...

Hot Shoe Forceps
Dec 04, 2010

I think I posted this in the wrong place the first time... need to know if anyone has heard the term hot shoe forceps.  Not sure if it is Hatshu, or hot shoe... just can't find anything remotely like it anywhere.  A polyp in the colon was biopsied and ablated with hot shoe forceps.  Any ideas? ...

Ortho Help, Anyone Ever Heard Of A S/l Hobser Shoe For Ankle Sprain? TIA.
Oct 16, 2009

x ...

Taking Test, Foot Pedal Issue - Report Begins Over Every Time I Lift My Foot!
May 27, 2010

I am taking a test for a company and have gotten as far as taking the transcription portion.  I downloaded their file (pedalplugin-win) but whenever I lift my foot off play, the tape rewinds to beginning.  I cannot rewind or FF and autoplay to 0 isn't registering. Can anyone suggest what I could do to? Thanks!!!!  I have 4 hours to complete test. ...

Finally Experienced The "you're-the-dirt-on-the-bottom-of-my-shoe" Phenomenon
Dec 23, 2014

My HDSM for months now in her emails that are getting fewer and fewer always says she is "still making calls" to us and if we need anything to contact her and she will get back to us right away.  Well, 2 weeks ago I needed to talk to her about something so I sent her an email.  The silence has been deafening ever since.  I imagine she's putting up her Christmas tree, wrapping gifts for her kids, and making fruitcake for her neighbors.  I've been patient.  ...

Foot Pain. Does Anyone Know If There Are Hand Controls Instead Of A Foot Pedal?
Aug 12, 2013

Nm ...

Foot Debridement S/l Bocasterile Foot Dressing
May 10, 2012

Operation of debridement for necrotic tissue.  "The patient's s/l bocastera/bocasterile foot dressing was applied." I'm bad on brand names (if this is one). Any operative expert MTs know what this might be?  Thanks. ...

Foot Pedal Without Foot?
Jul 11, 2013

Just wondered if anyone here had ever heard of a foot pedal that could be activated some other way than by pressing with your foot.  I have a handicapped friend who was hoping there was one that could be activated any other way.  Thanks ...

Difference Between A USB Foot Pedal And An Infinity Foot Pedal?
Sep 10, 2010

Is there a difference between a USB foot pedal and an Infinity foot pedal?  I have a part-time job that lists equipment needed as an infinity foot pedal, I have an USB one that worked fine to take the test, if there is a difference then I need to order one fast. Thanks. ...

Right Foot X-ray...
Oct 20, 2010

This is a pt with OA/DDD/DJD and the dr is giving the results of the x-rays.  "Right foot - s/l (accessory ossal cool with hypertrophic) changes.  Left foot - OA."  She runs the whole thing together so I'm not sure where the words separate and I have no idea what to look up. Does anyone have any ideas? ...

One Foot Out And
Aug 02, 2012

After 13 years of being an MT, I am beginning to see a way out.  I've always had an interest in being a writer, and dabbled a little, but it's hard to make a living that way.  But then again, so is transcription.  I figure the world of writing and publishing can't possibly be any more stressful, and its a lot more fun (and I can listen to music while I do it ). After a year of moonlighting, I just had a book of true short stories published (I was an editor and a co ...

What Would Be The Best Foot Pedal?
Oct 30, 2009

Hello.  I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on the best footpedal to buy.  I am just getting back into transcription after being away from it for several years and I am not very technologically bright :-)  I don't have any clients yet but I would like to have a wave pedal or foot pedal ready for whenever I do find a client.  What would be the kind that would be the most versatile and go with most platforms/systems?  I have Windows Vista.  Any advice ...

DVI Foot Pedals?
Jan 15, 2010

Does anyone else have issues with the DVI-INF foot pedals using the USB adapter?  I can push the pedal and nothing happens.  The file will not play.  It often will to the 1 second step-back, but does not play after that.  So, I'm here pressing the pedal 4-5 times getting it stepped back 4-5 seconds before it'll finally play.  It's driving me crazy!  I'd like to know if this is a common problem with this pedal/system or if it's just me having ...

Using Foot Pedal...Help!
Jun 24, 2010

I'm over testing for the Q on their test site and thought I had installed my foot pedal but it's not working.  Does anyone know how to use your foot pedal on the test rather than that silly F1 function key to start and stop the audio?  I'm afraid I'll be here all night getting 5-6 words at a time with the "hand" method as opposed to the "foot" method, LOL! Any suggestions greatly appreciated...Grazi! ...

USB-1 Or USB-2 Foot Pedal
Jul 11, 2010

I've got a USB-2 foot pedal here, brand new from Martel Direct, as part of an all-in-1 kit.  Some job listings specify a USB-1 foot pedal; others just say USB foot pedal. Is there a huge difference between the 1 and the 2 versions? ...

X-ray Foot Results
Apr 25, 2011

There is a calcaneal spur at the origin of the plantar aponeurosis.  s/l Krukers fat pad has normal radiolucency. ...

Foot Rest
Jun 10, 2011

A while back I saw a post on here where an MT was advertising a foot rest that her husband was making that enabled transcriptionists to elevate their legs while still using the foot pedal.  I believe it was taken down before I got the info.  Does anybody know where I can get in touch with her?  Thanks. ...

Anyone Use USB And 9-pin Foot Pedal?
Jul 05, 2011

Hello, I had to get a 9-pin foot pedal for a new job. I configured it but now my USB foot pedal will not work on Express Scribe. How do I get both of them to work? Thanks, ...

Ikm Foot Pedal
Sep 19, 2011

I am switching computers and cannot get my foot pedal to work.  I believe I need to download a driver, but am not exactly sure which one I need.  It is a serial to USB connection if that makes any difference.  Cannot find any model number, etc, on my pedal.   I work with the I Know Med system.  Can anyone out there help this frustrated MT??? ...

Foot Pedals Sm
Oct 31, 2011

May have to switch jobs soon and get some more equipment (bugger).  What is the difference between a WAV pedal and something like Infinity?  Are they interchangeable, one better than the other, etc?  Is there anything universal (I'm thinking probably not). Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated.  Thanks in advance. ...

USB Foot Pedals
Dec 12, 2011

Hi guys:  I have an Infinity (IN-USB-1) foot pedal.  I was searching for a job for a company that ad says ( DVI Voice Wave foot pedal – must say IN-USB-DVI).  Would the IN-USB-1 that I have work or would I need an adapter/new foot pedal)?  Thanks in advance. ...

Big Toe Tingling On Right Foot
Jul 05, 2013

I have been working as an MT for only 2 months and I noticed I have a lot of heel pain and have to switch feet with the foot pedal sometimes. I also noticed that I get some pain in the back of my thighs and my calves. Just today I have started experiencing some tingling in my big toe of my right foot. Also, some numbness up to my ankle but not as noticable. Has anyone else experienced this? ...

One Foot Out The Door...
Jun 06, 2014

I have landed a part time job (going full time soon) at a Pain Clinic - doing transcription - starting pay $17.  My 35 years experience with radiology helped me get this position.   So much better than the measly 11 I get from here.  This clinic had outsourced and the reports were horrible so they have hired back for inhouse.  There are just 2 of us.  I can get my self esteem back that this place has sucked out of me.  There is hope.... ...

Foot Pedals
Dec 14, 2014

My particular little swallowed-up branch of Nuance is provided replacement foot pedals, specificially Infinity USB ones. I see some new employees need to have their own foot pedals. Amazing to me that Nuance provides anything, considering what they've taken away from us, but as per usual it comes with a catch. My problem is usually these things last me at least a year or so, lately they have been breaking within months, and every single time I need to contact tech and go through this ridic ...

FOOT PEDAL
Jan 30, 2015

Hello - I have a question - im trying to pick out an MT school and I have just talked to one of them that said they do not offer a footpedal because they believe the footpedal will be obsolete in a few years.  Now I have never ever heard of this before but thought I would check with you all to see if anyone has ever heard this and what software programs actually allow you to work without a footpedal.  TIA ...

Foot Surgery - EPB???
May 26, 2015

This is a surgery for a Lisfranc injury of the foot.  The doc says, "The EPB muscle belly was reflected laterally."   Doesn't EPB stand for extensor pollicis brevis, and isn't that in the hand??  Is there another expansion of EPB that could pertain to the foot?  ...

Foot Pedal..... Where To Find.
Oct 16, 2009

Anyone use a foot pedal? Where have you found yours? I've check Office Depot and a few others and they only have them for games and music. ...

Foot Pedal Question - Help???
Nov 30, 2009

I am starting my new job as an IC today, and the foot pedal given to me today has a phone line connection.  I have a new Dell and no phone line connection possible on my PC.  I do have a USB foot pedal.  I am still installing software necessary for the program, so I have not been able to give it a test spin.  Will my USB foot pedal work, or will I have to wait a week for the adapter to come in? ...

Testing And Foot Pedals...is It Just Me Or
Jan 06, 2010

does most testing not work with your foot pedal?  I have only taken 2 tests in the last 2 months that my foot pedal worked.  All the rest, I had to struggle with F1 and such.  It really slowed me down and I am sure affected my testing.  Any help or advice out there?  I did download the pedable program and checked to make sure my pedal was in working order. Puzzled.... ...

Testing Without Foot Pedal
Jan 23, 2010

I was curious whether anyone on this board has had experience doing transcription without a foot pedal and using their mouse to control the transcription player.  I recently tested at Wedmedx for QA and Rad jobs and they wouldn't let me use a foot pedal, I also couldn't slow it down.  I missed passing the QA test by 2 points and the rad test by 6 points.  A couple of the docs were ESL and the sound quality was not that great.  I have years and years of transcription experience bu ...