A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

What does Medquist define as a line of text? - Mally

Posted: Oct 16, 2011

The hospital I work for was just outsourced to Medquist.  I'm scared.  Anyway, Medquist will be presenting us all with offers next week to go to work for them and I would like to know what Medquist defines as a line of text.  The hospital I currently work for defines a line as 65 characters, spaces included.  Thanks.

Medquist is 65 characters, NO spaces. - health and wellness coach

[ In Reply To ..]
Make no mistake about it, your level of income is about to go away.

No $ for spaces? - Explains some $ cut

[ In Reply To ..]
I've already quit, but did they not pay for macros either? I wasn't aware they cut spaces, so nothing would surprise me. OP~ I was also there in a buy-out situation. Please be wary.

We still get paid for spaces - as far as I know

[ In Reply To ..]
Although I'm sure that will be next.

When I applied for - a new job

[ In Reply To ..]
employer asked a couple of times what my line rates were. I had no clue as I didn't have enough work after I was bought by Q to figure it out. I'm so glad I got out of that he## as I'm now making fairly decent $ and have run out of work for 15 minutes one time in lil over 2 weeks.

Not paid for spaces? Then this is what they are going to get: - Kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
Thepatientwaspreppedanddrapedandtakentotheoperatingroom.Thepatientwas

and so on.

LOL - Mally

[ In Reply To ..]
LOL

You get paid for spaces - I have checked

[ In Reply To ..]
That will probably change eventually though.

pay for spaces - FLMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I think it might depend on if you were bought out, etc. I have two line rates, one higher that does not include spaces, and one lower that includes spaces. But I am positive that, given half a chance, they will try to pay the lower rate for the line without spaces.
I would love to meet the bonehead who didn't think - spaces should be paid for
[ In Reply To ..]
They probably thought: Oh, since there is nothing there, why pay them for it?

Uh, a space is a keystroke like any other key. Like one poster said, if they say they aren't going to pay me for my spaces, they'll get an email like this:

IdonotregrettoinformyouthatbecauseoftheincompetancerunningthiscompanyIamnolongerworkingforMedQuist.

I couldn't do that in a medical record though.

Line Counts WITH Spaces at Other Company - Melimeg

[ In Reply To ..]
I work for a new company that counts a line as 65 characters INCLUDING spaces. I add up my own lines and file my own taxes; they don't do any of this; therefore, there's not as much overhead for them, which puts more money into my pocket! I also get paid for the lines it takes me to create headers and a patient information log at the beginning of each batch of files. I love it! There are other options besides the dictatorships of MQ and Nuance. There is hope!

Similar Messages:

Dear Employers, Please Define Your Line In Your Ad.
Jan 10, 2012

Unless your compensation plan is based on audio minutes or report page, "paid by line" doesn't mean anything to job seekers other than tedium on both sides of the hiring process.How many characters are in your line?  ...

Define MT Shifts
Jul 22, 2012

I am a recent MT grad and am wondering if someone can define what 1st, 2nd,and 3rd shifts are for me please! Thank you   ...

Nuance ~ Please Define 3rd Shift!!
Jun 01, 2015

Screwance has a posting listed in MTJobs for a transcriptionist with 1 year of experience; however, under qualifications and requirements, they list 5+ years of recent transcription experience; let's do the math. They also list a $1000 bonus for 3rd shift (8 PM start or later) - another lie since their 3rd shift is 12:01 AM to 5:59 AM. No one ever sees a sign-on bonus; their stipulations are you must qualify for their dishonest metric system that even MTs with 20 years' exper ...

Acute Care - Define Please! And Standard 4
Jan 14, 2010

I have been an MT for 16 years and I am still not totally sure what "acute care" means and it is on almost every ad.  Does this always include Ops notes?  I also can only make educated guesses about what the Standard Four are too.  I am frantically looking for a job - no work at my current one - and I need to understand these terms better so I don't waste my time.  I have no Ops experience and seems everyone wants this.  Discouraging.  I have done only ER work ...

Knee Surgery; C-arm Imaging Was Used To Define The Appropriate Location At S/l Shottle's Point
Feb 13, 2013

x ...

Instant Text - How Do You Bold Text?
Dec 07, 2011

I'm new to IT and have a question:  How do you bold text?  I went into "Edit" and see several options but not for bolding. Yes, it's probably in the manual but I'm on the clock right now so hope someone will post it here. Thanks! ...

Has Anyone Ever Tried To Buy Their Medquist Computer From Medquist
Jul 18, 2011

????? ...

MT Line Became A 65-character Line Instead Of A Gross Line?
Feb 21, 2015

Does anyone remember when, and why, an MT line became a 65-character line instead of a gross line? And what company was responsible for this, if any? ...

Is There A Difference Between A Sylvan 65 Character Line And Using The Line Count In Word - Sm
Jun 15, 2012

to divide by 65 to get the number of lines??? Thanks. ...

Okay, If You Were Making .04/line With VR But Offered 08/line With Transcription . . . Unlimited Amt
Apr 22, 2010

I do have some benefits with the VR job, but not good enough to even take them on right now.  After 3 months I will start accruing PTO up to 12 days a year.  Is it worth it?  I was thinking having benefits would be really nice for once in the last 16 years, but now I am thinking it may not be worth the struggle to make a living on VR.  They said the platform for transcription is chartnet or chartscript?  What do you all think? ...

LINE RATES - A Company That Offers 7.6 Cpl On A 50 Character Line
Nov 14, 2010

I am starting with a company that offers 7.6 cpl on a 50 character line.  Is this good and what does it equal money wise on a 65 character line rate?   Thanks in advance. ...

VR Line Count - What Kind Of Line Production Should I Shoot For
Mar 24, 2011

I was just hired on with a company to do strictly VR. I am only going to be working part time so about 4 hours a day. I am wondering from those who do VR what kind of line production should I shoot for in 4 hours of work? What is the normal VR line count for part time? I have read that most who are working full time or 8 hours a day are doing more than 1,000, even 2,000 a day. The company I will be working for wants a minimum of 10,000 lines in a payperiod which the lady said even with part time ...

Gross Line Versus 65 Character Line
Aug 19, 2010

Anyone know if 5 cents per gross line is good or not? Better than 10 cents a 65 character line??   A company is offering this to me & says that at least 1/2 of every report is templated but you still get paid for it.  I make 10 cents a 65 character line with the company I work for at this time.  Please advise so I can make a decision to test or not with them.  ...

Line Counting Software - 65 Characters Per Line
Sep 29, 2010

I need help with a software line counting program.  Excel is acceptable, but I am not sure how to use that aspect.  Any help would be appreciated.  This is for 65 characters per line with no spaces.  Can't that be done in Microsoft Word as well? ...

Line Rate For 65 Printable Character Line
Jul 19, 2011

When a company states a line rate for  a "65 printable character line" does that mean they do not pay for spaces?    I saw an ad saying they pay the highest in the business, which was about 8.5 cents for 65 printable character line.  That to me says without spaces, as it is not a printable character, so that would be a horrible rate surely not one of the best in the business.  Wonder why there is no respect for our thumbs !!!!   ...

IT And Line Counts Vs Other Line Count Programs
Oct 24, 2011

I would like opinions about the IT (Instant Text) line count program? Do you find it user friendly? Are there other programs preferred/easier? Any suggestions or opinions? TIA. ...

MTSOs - Why Anyone Would Do VR For 0.03 Per Line Or Straight Transcription For 0.07 Per Line
Mar 13, 2012

It's beyond me why anyone would do VR for 0.03 per line or straight transcription for 0.07 per line, even 0.08 stinks.  Are we all that desperate to let these companies get away with not paying a living wage?  It's outrageous.  As long as MTs send their resumes to these companies and apply for these positions, the longer it will take to bring us back to the pay level we deserve.   At this point, i'd rather starve then sell my soul to the devil. ...

Line Counts - An Accurate Line Counter?
Aug 14, 2012

I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of an accurate line counter. I currently use Word, but am not sure if it's accurate.  ...

How Do You Get Text Out From Under A
Apr 21, 2012

I can't find the directions.  xx ...

OB/GYN In Text?
Jul 17, 2014

I am typing a report where dictator is talking about the patient's ob/gyn.  How do you type this?  Ob-gyn, OB/GYN or what. It is within a line of the report, not a heading.  ...

Help With Instant Text
Oct 14, 2009

Anyone have any good websites for Instant text tutorial or questions?  I did read through productivity talk and did find what I needed.  I have not used this software in years.  I use autotext, but I would like to use the line counting software that comes wtih IT.  I am trying to figure out a short cut to copying text, right clicking on IT , clipboard statistics, and logging each note. Any thoughts on how to do this with keystrokes and NOT the mouse? I am using Scribe Editor ...

Text Size
Jan 02, 2010

I forgot the easy way to adjust text size.  Hope someone can help. Is it still possible to search for something here?  I can't find the "search" line.   ...

Text Expander..HELP!
Jan 18, 2010

I was forced to switch to Windows 7 and I found that Stedmans Smartype was no longer compatible. After shedding some tears, I am searching for a new one. Does anyone have any suggestions about any medical text expanders that are good and work similar to Smartype (that work within WORD). I am currently looking at Speedtype...does anyone have any reviews on that? Thank you!! ...

Text Expander?
Apr 08, 2010

text expander? ...

Qualified Text?
May 06, 2010

Does anybody work for a company that pays less for something called "qualified text" or in other words pays less for templates, like 10 cpl for transcription but only 5 cpl for the template lines?  Were you with them when they paid full rate for those lines?  I am trying to find out how much impact (perhaps percentage) this has on the bottom line - a paycheck.  The company I work for is going to start doing this and I am wondering how much it is going to hurt.  Obviously it w ...

Disappearing Text
Jun 03, 2010

I don't know what combination of keys I hit but all of a sudden the text in front of where I am editing disappears.  What combination of keys will stop this.  I thought it was control + insert but that did not help. Any help appreciated. Thanks ...

Instant Text And VR
Sep 18, 2010

Just wondered about what you all think is the best expander to use with VR. I used to use Shorthand up to a couple of years ago and now work with Instant Text. It seems to me that Shorthand is very very popular with the VR crowd. Does anyone use Instant Text successfully with VR? The version of IT I have (V  Pro) does not have the recording functions and the ability to use shortcuts (like Alt+ and Control+) like Shorthand does. Nor is there there an ability to record commands or key combina ...

Instant Text V
Feb 08, 2011

I was wondering if anybody working on the DQS system is able to use Instant Text V  and if so, how did you convert it over ?  Thank you for any help. Donna ...

Does Anybody Use Instant Text?
Apr 06, 2011

Does anybody use Instant Text?  I just started using it and CANNOT figure out how to get "-year-old" to expand without a space in front of the first hyphen.  I am ready to scream!  Please help!  ...

Instant Text V Pro Help
May 08, 2011

I am having issues with linking Instant Text V Pro with eScription.  The greenlight is on saying that it is linked, but I am not able to get any of my keystrokes to work.  If anyone is familiar on how to do this please let me know.  I would really appreciate it.  Thanks!! ...