A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

TAA - Trade Adjustment Assistance - MTbucket

Posted: Jan 06, 2010

this is great news for Mt Laurel New Jersey.  Are there any other offices who have done this?  they actually qualified and that means they have set a precedence.  Everyone who is struggling with Medical Transcription right now either losing their jobs or (sounds like) had their hours cut should check into this...

From the website: 

TAA Decision 72153

Note: Determinations for this case number, this case number with an alphabetic suffix, and any appeals or amendments appear below.

DEPARTMENT OF LABOR

Employment and Training Administration

TA-W-72,153

MEDQUIST, INC.
INCLUDING WORKERS THROUGHOUT THE UNITED STATES REPORTING TO
MOUNT LAUREL, NEW JERSEY

Certification Regarding Eligibility
To Apply for Worker Adjustment Assistance

In accordance with Section 223 of the Trade Act of 1974, as
amended ("Act"), 19 U.S.C. § 2273, the Department of Labor
herein presents the results of an investigation regarding
certification of eligibility to apply for worker adjustment
assistance.
The group eligibility requirements for workers of a firm
under Section 222(a) of the Act, 19 U.S.C. § 2272(a), are
satisfied if the following criteria are met:
I. The first criterion (set forth in Section 222(a)(1) of the
Act, 19 U.S.C. § 2272(a)(1)) requires that a significant
number or proportion of the workers in the workers' firm
must have become totally or partially separated or be
threatened with total or partial separation.

II. The second criterion (set forth in Section 222(a)(2) of the
Act, 19 U.S.C. § 2272(a)(2)) may be satisfied if either:

(i)(I) there has been a shift by the workers' firm to a
foreign country in the production of articles or
supply of services like or directly competitive with
those produced/supplied by the workers' firm; OR
(i)(II) there has been an acquisition from a foreign
country by the workers' firm of articles/services that
are like or directly competitive with those
produced/supplied by the workers' firm.

III. The third criterion requires that the shift/acquisition
must have contributed importantly to the workers'
separation or threat of separation. See Section
222(a)(2)(B)(ii) of the Act, 19 U.S.C. §
2272(a)(2)(B)(ii).

The investigation was initiated in response to a petition
filed on August 28, 2009 by the Oregon State Workforce Office
on behalf of workers of MedQuist, Inc., Mount Laurel, New
Jersey. The workers are engaged in providing medical
transcription services. The worker group includes workers
throughout the United States reporting to Mount Laurel, New
Jersey.
The investigation revealed that workers of MedQuist, Inc.,
Mount Laurel, New Jersey, who are engaged in employment
related to the supply of medical transcription services, meet
the criteria for certification.
Criterion I has been met because at least five percent of
the workers have become separated during the relevant period.
Criterion II has been satisfied because the workers' firm
has acquired from India services like or directly competitive
with the medical transcription services supplied by the
workers' firm.
Criterion III has been met because the acquisition of
medical transcription services by MedQuist, Inc. from India
contributed importantly to home based worker group separations
at MedQuist, Inc., Mount Laurel, New Jersey.
Conclusion
After careful review of the facts obtained in the
investigation, I determine that workers of MedQuist, Inc., Mount
Laurel, New Jersey, who are engaged in employment related to the
supply of medical transcription services, meet the worker group
certification criteria under Section 222(a) of the Act, 19
U.S.C. § 2272(a). In accordance with Section 223 of the Act, 19
U.S.C. § 2273, I make the following certification:
"All workers of MedQuist, Inc., Mount Laurel, New Jersey
including workers at home sites throughout the United
States, who became totally or partially separated from
employment on or after August 27, 2008, through two years
from the date of certification, and all workers in the
group threatened with total or partial separation from
employment on date of certification through two years from
the date of certification, are eligible to apply for
adjustment assistance under Chapter 2 of Title II of the
Trade Act of 1974, as amended."
Signed in Washington, D.C., this 22nd day of September, 2009

home office - new jersey

[ In Reply To ..]
we all report to Mount Laurel - it is the home office - this applies to all of us.

anyone...anyone - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I want to know who has been successful?! I will be going for a second attempt next week. I was told I needed to jump through hoops, crawl through red tape and conjure up a bunch of documents. Somebody share!

We have shared several times about this. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Some of us are actually using this.

After starting to draw unemployment, the state contacted me about it. Going to RN school now.

Look at previous posts and search the board for this.

one question - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Anyone still employed with MQ and have received the benefits of retraining in another field through the Trade act. I am still employed.
You have to be unemployed & drawing unemployment. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
WRONG. You can draw unemployment WHILE working - still plus get the TAA assistance. sm
[ In Reply To ..]
You do have to qualify for unemployment to get the TAA assistance.

You do NOT have to be UNEMPLOYED to draw unemployment (and therefore get the TAA assistance).

If you cannot get your scheduled hours in during any week because there is no work, you can file an unemployment claim for that week.

Example: If you are full time and work 40 hours a week but last week you could only get 30 hours in because there was no work, you can file an unemployment claim for that week.

Now, you need to talk to your local unemployment office (now it is called the Dept of Workforce Services) about being paid PTO to balance those hours. I doubt you can draw PTO (for those missing hours) plus unemployment.

You will also have a waiting week that you have to satisfy or whatever your state's requirement is for starting benefits.

Once you start drawing that benefit, however, you can ask about the TAA assistance. More than likely, someone from your state's TAA office will contact you directly and tell you about the program.

When an unemployment claim is accepted and it has MEDQUIST on it as the employer (current or last released), it is automatically sent to the TAA office.

another question - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
In the petition summary, it states even with potential separation from employment due to outsourcing, MQ qualifies. Its a shame if we really have to be collecting unemployment to receive training for another career. The writing is on the wall here, we should be able to retrain before our backs are against the wall.

How about this sceneario please? - Betty

[ In Reply To ..]
Quit due to no work, got UE, then got another job, but not making what I used to? Would this qualify? Probably screwed again?

Similar Messages:

Is Anyone Aware Of The Trade Adjustment Assistance Act?
Jun 12, 2012

I just found out about this government program.  From what I understand, it helps those who have lost all or part of their hours/income due to outsourcing of their profession, especially us older workers who need to retrain in order to reenter the workforce in another field.   It looks to me like Medical Transcriptionists should fit their description, and we should be eligible for some funding to get some training!   The catch is, in order to file, you have to have at least 3 pe ...

Attitude Adjustment
May 11, 2015

I DREAD Monday's.  Coming back to see yet mandatory OT.  I am so tired.  It's all I can do to sit here 8 hours a day and now 9 or more.  I try to be positive but when I see the jobs I get, forget it.  Same &*%#, different day.  Wish we could get the doctors to care.  It would be great if  the sound quality would improve.  Static on line, turning away from mike, etc.  I am losing my hearing fast.  Turn the volume all the way, ...

Question About IMEDX Min Wage Adjustment (sm)
Feb 03, 2015

On clocking out today, my min wage adjustment went up.  How is it possible that they know what it should be for the entire pay period 2/1 to 2/15.  I'm sure I've made more than MW.  This is just baffling.   ...

Needing Some Assistance Here
Apr 12, 2013

What are the key combinations for immediately getting out of a wrong key, know it has to do with a Z but do not remember the rest of the alt or whatever. Thanks. ...

Education Assistance
May 30, 2013

I am looking to go back to school to train in accounting. I thought I had seen in the past people talking about some education assistance we would be eligible for since work was going overseas (or something along those lines). Does anybody know where to get more information on this? Thanks! ...

MQCentral Employee Assistance
Aug 27, 2010

Has anyone here ever used this "service"?   Just wondering if I should give it a try, I'm feeling at the end of my rope here.  I need this job, a job, and want to be able to handle the new stressors and cope with all these changes in the industry.    I'm not a newbie either, been here through thick and thin over the years, and lately I find myself typing and crying at the same time, feeling so fearful of my future at my age.  Maybe I'm developing some ty ...

Dictaphone ExText - Urgent Assistance Pls!
May 27, 2015

Is Windows 7 Home Premium/Word 2010 compatible with this platform?  They say that Windows 7 Professional/Word 2000, 2003, and 2007 are compatible.  Thanks for your expert assistance!  :)  ...

Medquist Workers Eligible For Federal Assistance
Nov 10, 2009

WEBSITE BELOW http://newsok.com/medquist-workers-eligible-for-fed-assistance/article/3415214 MedQuist workers eligible for fed assistance FROM STAFF REPORTS    Comments 0 Published: November 7, 2009 The Labor Department report concluded that all MedQuist employees, including those working at home, who became "totally or partially separated from employment” after Aug. 26, 2008, are eligible to apply for the assistance. Read more: http://newsok.com/medquist-worke ...

Today Is Payday, And I Just Applied For Govt Assistance
Oct 20, 2011

MAJOR VENT.  My paycheck from MQ was deposited into my account today and it just sent me into a panic.  Pay days are NOT supposed to feel like this - they are not supposed to cause you to put your head down on your desk and cry.  They are not supposed to be like this.  For the first time EVER I won't be able to pay my rent.  I'm a single mom, I've worked full-time with MQ for 14 years, I'm an MME (supposedly at the top of my career game) and I can� ...

Trade Act/TAA
Dec 17, 2009

Has anyone investigated MQ's TAA petition?  I just read about it a minute ago and wondered...sounds too good to be true ...

Trade-act
Apr 16, 2010

The trade-act is only for those who are laid off or who suffer as much as 7 consecutive days without work due to offshoring.  Does everyone have that understanding or did I miss something?  Thanks! ...

Trade Act
May 13, 2013

Can someone please give me some info on where to find out this info and petition number.  Thank you. ...

Can You Trade Your Own Work
Aug 05, 2010

I have a job. I do not want it. I am sick of being an MT. There are newbies who want to be an MT. I want to help a newbie. I got offered 3 jobs and took this one, and I still don't want it. Newbies get offered no jobs. I wish I could fix this. Here I am with an unwanted job, and wanting to help a newbie, and there is nothing to do about it!! I would love to explain medical terminology and VR and the ins and outs of production work, I just do NOT want to do it myself any more!! Where ca ...

New To VR - Need Some Tricks Of The Trade!
Apr 04, 2011

Been working with VR since last October.  After rebuilding shorthand file and adding words to autocorrect for the last 5 months, I feel those items are no longer a insignificant factor hampering my production.  Sadly, I'm finding I'm not as productive as I need to be in order to make a living. Anyone have any VR tricks to increase production?  I'm headed to the poor house if I don't get this figured out soon! Truly appreciate any help you can o ...

TAA (Trade Act) Information
Jan 14, 2013

I am looking for any Axolotl MTs who have been let go within the last year to sign a petition with me:  http://www.labor.ny.gov/workforcenypartners/taaforms/taa-petition.pdf It does nothing against the employer; in fact, they usually support the act.   There need to be at least 3 workers to sign before it can be submitted.   I hope every MT who has lost their jobs has applied for this...  MQ is on their list already, as is United HealthGroup (only not for MT).  Plea ...

Anyone Know Anything About The Trade Act Petition?
Dec 16, 2013

Got a call today from the Dept of Labor and the nice lady said I was entitled to educational benefits of $27,000.00 and/or if I got a job for, let's say, $10.00 an hour "they" would pay me $5 more because of something to do with MModal and NA Free Trade; that MModal was "adversely effected" (her words) because of outsourcing----that Americans are now missing out on jobs, etc., ect.....Really didn't know what to make of all what she was saying, but I told her to send me the paperwork. S ...

Trade Act Petition
Apr 02, 2014

New petition # is 85182. It is currently awaiting a decision. Our previous petition expired the end of March. Hopefully the new petition will be approved. ...

Trade Act News About Medquist
Dec 24, 2009

I spoke to a representative of the Trade Act in person today to ask some questions.  I learned this and want to share it to help empower those who feel hopeless this season: -All states are participating in the Trade Act.  -There was an old version of the Trade Act which necessitated that you be laid off by your company to benefit with the Trade Act.  The new version (ending with #7, not #6) starting in February 2009 allows those still working to enroll in the program. -Medquis ...

Can Someone Re-post That Trade Act Petition.
Jan 11, 2010

I tried looking it up in search mode and cannot find it, yet I know I saw it posted here not too long ago.  Thanks! ...

Investigation Of 3 MQ Workers Of The Trade Act?
Mar 13, 2010

Medquist, Inc., Norcross, GA; Notice of Termination of Investigation Mar 12, 2010 (FIND, Inc. via COMTEX) -- Pursuant to Section 223 of the Trade Act of 1974, as amended, an investigation was initiated in response to a petition filed on November 19, 2009, by three workers on behalf of workers of MedQuist, Inc., Norcross, Georgia. The petitioning group of workers is covered by an active certification, (TA-W-72,153) which expires on September 22, 2011. Consequently, further investigation in thi ...

Angioplasty Balloon Trade Name
Jul 28, 2011

S/l doctor is dictating Ar mot ta balloon...my brain is fried.  Any ideas?   ...

Medquist Has Been Certified Under The TAA, Or Trade Act, Program
Oct 22, 2009

Medquist has been certified under the TAA, or Trade Act, Program.  This means that former Medquist employees who lost their jobs can get funds to go to school as well as help paying for their COBRA premiums.  They need to go to their local Workforce center to apply.  Here's the site:  http://www.doleta.gov/tradeact/ ...

I Visited One-Stop And Asked About Trade Act
Nov 03, 2009

I decided to look into the benefits of the Trade Act which apparently includes only some states but which MQ has been qualified for.  I'm not yet unemployed but need to at least feel prepared.  I live in California so was given the name and number of the person in charge in my part of the state.  I also picked the brains of the One-Stop personnel about career changes.  They are a WEALTH of information, including 2 excellent websites:  www.edd.ca.gov www.onlin ...

MT "image" Needs Some Major Adjustment!
Feb 21, 2010

So I'm casually cruising the internet, looking for a better job, and come across a website for a career school, and on the front page of their website is a big picture of this happy-looking young mom, sitting there at her laptop PC, with her toddler sitting in her lap, playing with the papers on her desk.  Like.... GAG me!  Not only does that reinforce the current stereotypical picture of the bathrobe-clad, pink-fuzzy-slipper-wearing, mom-MT, but..... REALLY!  Who ...

He Says "AXIS I Adjustment Disorder. Paragraph. Psychogenic Amnesia. Should "psychogenic A
Sep 08, 2010

He says "AXIS I - Adjustment disorder. paragraph. Psychogenic amnesia. Should "psychogenic amnesia" be AXIS II? ...