A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Purchasing computer after quitting - So Tired

Posted: Mar 10, 2010

Does anyone know if we can purchase our computer from the company after quitting? I know that we can keep all of the other equipment (monitor, keyboard, etc), but we have to return to the tower. Does anyone know if we can purchase it from the company? I have been looking for alternate employment, but haven't been able to find another company that will provide equipment. With computer being so expensive, I just thought I'd keep the one I have. Any input?

Purchasing computer - mrs.krabs

[ In Reply To ..]
I'd get rid of anything that has to do with MQ. Cut all ties completely. The HP computer is a cheapo and look at the mileage you have put on it already. Dell has pretty good monthly payment programs. Treat yourself to something better.

computer - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
guess it wouldn't hurt to ask. Just make sure you get a receipt saying you paid them for it.

I have an old IBM from MQ...most reliable computer I've ever owned. I wouldn't mind keeping if/when I leave as well.

Others on here have said they tried and the answer was NO. - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Keeping PC - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
I would think that the answer would be no. That PC is probably loaded with the company's proprietary software and you probably had some kind of licensing agreement with them, I can understand why they wouldn't want former employees to have them. Actually, new PCs are pretty affordable these days if you don't need/purchase a bunch of add-ons. I agree, Dell has good deals, offer free shipping and offer payment plan options. They also sell refurbished PCs for less.

Purchasing computer after quitting - Susan

[ In Reply To ..]
When I quit Medquist, I had my own monitor and keyboard and footpedal, so I just went out and bought the tower for $256.00 with Windows 7 on it. I only use it for the new company I work for now. I would just return theirs to them. I wouldn't want anything that would remind me of that company in my home. I hope you have moved on like I have.

If you get an answer, let me know. I have mine - justme

[ In Reply To ..]
the way I like it, and when I quit MQ it would be nice to keep this computer. I'll reluctantly send it back if I have to, but what in the world will they do with it, throw it away?

No, they will give it a couple of upgrades, and reuse it. - RADMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Because of what's on the computer, and their obligations to their clients (HIPAA), they can't let us keep them. I'm surprised they are still giving us computers anyway. I'm grateful they did because I didn't have one when I started.

You cannot keep it, not with the new HIPAA laws. - Company has to delete EVERYTHING!

[ In Reply To ..]
You have too much info on it.

What if you just don't send it back - when they ask for it

[ In Reply To ..]
From my understanding, if you don't send it back, they will charge you for it. So would that be a round about way of purchasing it?

Or what if you've upgraded it and it no longer has the same - whoever this is

[ In Reply To ..]
harddrive? Well the old one is in there, I just don't use it. A sup a long, long time ago told me I could add a new drive, and I did. I've also added more memory. It's basically my computer with an old harddrive in it. I wonder if I can just send that back?

Similar Messages:

Purchasing Their Special Computer
Jul 26, 2010

Just hired by company that is requiring me to purchase their "specially build computer" to do the account they need done = Cost $340.  Of course, I have already have a computer because I work from home. Any Feed back on this?  I need this second job to pay bills.  Thank you for your input. Hannah ...

Purchasing New Laptop
Feb 02, 2011

Am desperately seeking direction as I new to purchase a new laptop and don't have a clue on what is the most reliable.  My husband, who was wise and always took care of these type purchases for me, passed away in October, and this is just one of a gazillion things I have to learn on my own now.  Anyway, I currently have a Toshiba Satellite with Windows 98 that is about 4 years old but it is just not acting right lately.  I don't need a lot of bells and whistles but reali ...

Purchasing Software For Job?
Jan 04, 2013

So I interviewed and seems like I got the job, but there was an issue with the version of Word software I had, so I was told to buy a new version from a third-party site.  Contacted Microsoft and they said they weren't listed as an auth dealer and their upgrade price was the same so I went with Microsoft...has anyone else run into this when they were interviewing?  I really want this job but that didn't feel so good.  She also said it could take weeks before training cou ...

Planning On Purchasing A Set Of New Headphones
Oct 19, 2010

I am planning on purchasing a set of new headphones and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on what's best.  I have only used Sony or Panasonic (probably cheap) in the past but I am having trouble sorting out the white noise.  Can anyone tell me your experience?  They can get pretty pricey but I am willing to pay for quality and clarity.  Thanks Much.  ...

Purchasing A Used Career Step Course
Jul 25, 2011

I don't know how it will work as far as "enrollment" actually goes, but I'm really looking to do more of a self-taught kind of thing anyway. I know that access to instructors is important, and I have already arranged for that through my local college. Worst case scenario, I'm out $25.. but for that price, I couldn't pass it up!! Thoughts? ...

Purchasing Equipment Through Nuance
Nov 25, 2014

I am in desperate need of new computer equipment and I swear I remember seeing somewhere over my time with Nuance that you can possibly buy computers through them and make payments through payroll.  Maybe I'm wrong, but if this is the case, where do I find this information and maybe a "shopping" page and/or application/form for a purchase?  Thanks in advance! ...

Question About Purchasing Microsoft Office 2003 Off Ebay.
Apr 22, 2012

I recently bought a laptop and need to at least install Word on it so I can use it for work, but I don't want to pay a fortune and would really prefer to install an older version of Word, i.e. 2003.  I looked on ebay and I see lots of Microsoft Office 2003 software for sell, but also see some confusing things like OEM versions being sold with a piece of hardware as per ebay and microsoft rules.  So I guess my question is if I buy OEM software with the corresponding hardware, can I ...

Webmedx - Company Computer Versus Own Computer?
Feb 04, 2010

I read that Medmedx supplies computers but you can only have Cable or DSL connection.   I live in an area where I cannot get cable or DSL.  I have a wireless connection.   My question is, do they allow you to use our own computers?   Thanks for your time and have a great day? ...

Own Personal Computer Versus MQ Supplied Computer?
Jul 18, 2011

The reason I ask this question is for my internet I have a USB modem.  Do the computers supplied by Q have any extra USB ports so I can plug my Verizon in there? Thanks! ...

Change From Company-provided Computer To Own Computer
Aug 04, 2011

I am in the process of transitioning jobs and will be going from a company-provided computer to my own.  Any suggestions on what software programs are needed, virus protection, word expanders, line counting, and hardware like foot pedal?  The hospital I am looking into will be using Microsoft Word.  Any comments on whether this is a good program or not to transcribe on?  Any tips?  I have been with the same company for 15 years, so have been out of the loop and need ...

Quitting: IC
Dec 28, 2009

I've been working as an IC for a small operation.  There is no written contract, and in fact nothing was stated verbally about terms, conditions, etc. In keeping with the above ;) , they are disorganized and unprofessional, and I want out.  In fact, I have already written my resignation notice. Another MT just up and quit the other day.  I wish to do the same, even though I have never, ever done this in my life (I'm 46 and have been working since the age of 17).&n ...

PTO When Quitting?
Aug 02, 2010

I'm planning on quitting soon, (yahhhh, finally got a decent offer as an MT), but am wondering if I will have any trouble getting my PTO from MedQuist.  Does anyone know if by law they must give you any PTO you have coming when you leave?  How much notice do you think I should give, 1 or 2 weeks?  Thanks! ...

Can't Believe Every Day There Are More Quitting
Aug 29, 2010

We just going to whittle down to 1 MT and 0 dictations? ...

Quitting MQ
Mar 26, 2011

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get your last paycheck from MQ once you quit?  Shouldn't it be sent to you at the regular time?  Didn't get mine yesterday or today, so I'm guessing they are holding it for some reason. ...

Quitting/PTO
Dec 21, 2012

Did anyone from Transcend quit and if so did you have PTO left and are you getting it paid out to you? ...

Quitting TTS
Oct 08, 2014

Do they require 2 weeks' notice? ...

Quitting School
Mar 06, 2010

I am taking MT at Career Step, but I am unable to understand these doctors even if I slow down or speed up. I think I am going to quit because how can you transcribe if you can not understand. Can anyone give me some input? ...

Protocol For Quitting MQ
Jan 28, 2011

Anyone on here who has quit the Q? Did you give 2 weeks notice or what? What did they do when you told them? Did you email or place a call? ...

So Close To Quitting
Oct 07, 2011

I have to vent!  At the moment, there are no words to express how much I hate this job.  i am so sick of listening to foreigners who sound like they have marbles in their mouths and the women sounding like shrill little girls with marbles in their mouths, struggling with all my heart and soul to do a good job, for pennies, knowing if I send to QA for help, my pennies will be taken away.  This is insanity!  I swear, I've died and gone to hell!  ...

Quitting W/o Notice
Nov 25, 2011

Considering quitting Transcend w/o notice.  I understand I will not be able to be rehired.  In years past I quit MQ w/o working through my full 2 weeks too.  (I know... BAD, BAD, BAD.) I am concerned though that if I go to work for a smaller company and they are bought out by one of these 2  (which seems to be a high probability) I could be screwed. In the field these days you have to have a FT job and try it out before you quit.  Then you are trying to do both and get ...

Quitting Nuance
Jan 10, 2012

So I'm leaving NTS (I was happy as a Webbie) in about 4 weeks once I'm done training at the hospital here.  I was wondering if anyone who quit there in the past few weeks/months could tell me what they are doing with the company equipment they provided being that NTS doesn't want to deal with equipment lending. ...

PTO At Nuance When Quitting
Jan 24, 2012

My last day at Nuance was a couple weeks ago.  I wonder how long it will be before I get my PTO I had accrued? ...

When Quitting/is This The Norm?
Apr 10, 2012

I gave notice to my employer last week that I had to quit. I sent her a very nice email thanking her for the opportunity, but it just wasn't going to work out for me. I was very pleasant and upbeat, but I have yet to receive an acknowledgement. I was even able to log in with my password still. It's been 5 days now. You'd think she would have read her email by now, right? ...

I Wonder How Many People Are Quitting Because...
Mar 27, 2013

the recent e-mail we got said they need help in other regions, so we should pull together and help them.  I am wondering if these are crappy account on the crappy eBTXT and the reason they need help is because of MTs leaving.  I surely wish I could afford to leave, not makinig any money anymore. ...

Quitting/insurance
Jan 06, 2014

Questions: If you quit, when does your insurance lapse?  ...

Thinking About Quitting
Jan 06, 2014

I am so fed up with this job.  I barely make $8 an hour, and part of that is how much I hate the job and how slow it makes me want to go.  The other is that I still CARE about the work I do, so I spend time on it. I came from making $15 an hour to this, and I just cannot take the beating anymore.  I am seriously thinking of calling my TSM and saying, BUH BUY!  Then finding another job in the downtime. It's even affecting my health.  My stomach KILLS me every morning before I s ...

Quitting Without Notice
Feb 10, 2014

If I work as an IC and quit without giving any notice, can the lady I work for legally withhold my paycheck and not pay my final invoice? I know as an IC we really do not have any rights with the labor board so if she does not pay me what would be my next course of action? I have never quit without notice but due to the circumstances she has left me without many options. ...

This Close To Quitting
Mar 12, 2014

I am this close to quitting right this second. All I have had is foreign doctors. Are there ANY English speaking doctors left??? They expect 99.8% accuracy with this crap???? Are they kidding me??? I've been sitting here almost screaming because I can't understand a thing they're saying. I had one who was chewing gum like a cow!!! Give me a break. If I had a job to fall back on, I would quit right this second. ...

This Close To Quitting!
Mar 17, 2014

If I didn't need the gol dang money so bad I'd quit right now! More work added on my plate after you cut my pay...twice! This is beyond what I can handle today. I'm only 45 minutes into my shift and I'm crying already. Let me back up, Saturday I was NJA (as usual) so I (stupidly) emailed my PTO requests in for the year, during my shift, and then I get an email about "productive time" and then had another account added to my pool. And given 30 minutes to learn 68 pages of a ...

When Quitting MM Do They Ask For Everything Back?
Mar 28, 2014

I know the hard drive but the keyboard, headset, footpedal?  The monitor is mine so they aren't getting that, just wondered if anyone had any experience in this. ...