A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Do any of you remember this post! - Wish we could do something.

Posted: Aug 21, 2010

The unconstitutional employment practices of MedQuist and CBay - ACalfornian

Posted: Mar 17th, 2010 - 2:30 pm

I'm NOT an attorney; therefore, cannot give any legal advice.  If you want to pursue the issues addressed below, please consult an attorney.

In the case of Department of State v. Washington Post Co., 456 US 595 (1982), the Department of State refused to disclose private information of individuals to an "American" corporation, "Washington Post", citing the policy of not disclosing "personnel and medical files and similar files the disclosure of which would constitute a clearly unwarranted invasion of personal privacy (emphasis added)." 

In the case of Paris Adult Theatre v. Slaton, 413 U.S. 49, 66 (1973), at footnote 13, the Court wrote that such a "protected privacy" extends to the doctor's office and the hospitals too.  The Court wrote:

" The protection afforded by Stanley v. Georgia, 394 U.S. 557 (1969), is restricted to a place, the home. In contrast, the constitutionally protected privacy of family, marriage, motherhood, procreation, and child rearing is not just concerned with a particular place, but with a protected intimate relationship. Such protected privacy extends to the doctor's office, the hospital, the hotel room, or as otherwise required to safeguard the right to intimacy involved. Cf. Roe v. Wade, 410 U.S. 113, 152 -154 (1973); Griswold v. Connecticut, 381 U.S. 479, 485 -486 (1965)…(emphasis added)"

In the case of Ross v. McIntyre, 140 US 453, 464-465 (1891), more than a Century ago, the United States Supreme Court wrote:

"By the constitution a government is ordained and established 'for the United States of America,' and not for countries outside of their limits....The constitution can have no operation in another country (emphasis added)."

The doctors quite often dictate the private information of the patients including their dates of birth and social security numbers among others, which are also protected by the constitutional right to privacy against disclosure. 

Medical dictations are not the kind of "inanimate commodities" that usually fall under "Foreign Trade" that USA is involved in with foreign nations.  The contract to outsource medical records between the "private companies" such as MedQuist and CBay is NOT a contract between the United States and other countries like India, nor are the individual transcriptionists overseas working on the US patients' medical reports "Governmental agents of India or US Citizens."  When the Department of State would not "disclose" medical files of US citizens to an American company like Washington Post, what gives these "private companies" like MedQuist, C-Bay, Spheris, and others, to indulge in "self-help possession" of the constitutionally protected confidential medical information of the patients and other personal information contained in the dictations from their doctors' offices and the hopitals, and take them outside the four walls of the United States and outside the zone of the Constitutional right to privacy, to "private people living in foreign nations/overseas who are not American Citizens" under the guise of "filling in the templates" for transcription?  When there was scarcity of physicians and nurses in the 1970s, the United States allowed immigration of physicians and nurses from other countries "to work here in the United States", but the US did not "send the patients overseas" to get treated in foreign countries by the non-US Citizens just because there was a "scarcity" of the health care personnel.  MedQuist and CBay keep saying that there is a scarcity of US transcriptionists here in US to justify their oursourcing.  If they can prove that there is in fact a scarcity, then they can get work permits for the overseas transcriptionists to work here between the four walls of the United States with American wages. 

Even if the patient agrees to the terms of hospital admission written in some small print that he/she consents to transcription of his/her medical records outside of the United States by non-US Citizens, that still does not give MedQuist, CBay, and others the authority to take the medical dictations outside of the United States because the medical history of the patient also includes a "FAMILY HISTORY" and "SOCIAL HISTORY" which contain the "constitutionally protected medical and personal information" of third parties in the patients' families such as spouses, children, parents, grandparents, grandsons, uncles and aunts, for which, I suppose, the hospitals did not obtain consent for the release of from those third parties, nor can the patient consent to the release of the medical and personal information of his/her relatives.  

Based on the above, it's my belief that sending confidential medical information of patients outside the United States for transcription is UNCONSTITUTIONAL; therefore, absolutely ILLEGAL.

Also, the Court Reporters in USA REJECTED voice recognition technology.  What was not good for the Court Reporters in USA is not good for Medical Transcriptionists in the USA either.  What gives these companies to enforce a pay cut by rubbing that incompetent voice recognition technology on MTs' shoulders?  Voice recognition is just another tool like the word expander which is only to help the MTs improve their production.  Of course, MedQuist tried not counting the characters produced by word expanders on their DocQScribe platform.  When that did not work, it started working on this Voice Recognition technology and outsourcing!  Gosh!  What these companies wouldn't do to rip off their employees! 

With MedQuist's and CBay's unconstitutional outsourcing, they created an "unfair competition" here in USA as these companies are charging the clients just 10 cents a line now versus 21 cents a line that Transcriptions Limited/MedQuist used to charge in the 1990s.  On top of that, the voice recognition technology cuts the pay of the MTs by half, though the MTs still have to sort the gibberish that the voice recognition technology produces and spend the same amount of time on the dictation as they do on straight-typing.  That is resulting in wages below the federal minimum wages for the MTs as the MTs are only getting half the pay for voice recognition technology.  That in turn is creating "deplorable working conditions" under the guise of voice recognition technology with the resultant pay cuts which is forcing the MTs to work twice if not three times as hard for the same amount of money!

Then, there is the "overhiring."  Can these companies that overhire MTs, explain to the Government agencies that enforce the Fair Labor Standards Act, as to how the total number of lines they deliver to clients provide enough work for all the MTs that they overhire?  Suppose the company produces 10,000 lines a day for the client and the company has 20 full-time employees to work on that account, would that be enough work for all the 20 MTs reserved for that client to satisfy the Fair Labor Standards Act and the minimum wages rules with the voice recognition technology?

Wish there were some Constitutional law attorneys out there who could take up the above issues to a Federal Court and obtain a declaration to the effect that outsourcing of medical dictations is unconstitutional and that pay cut due to voice recognition technology violates equal privileges clause and creates deplorable working conditions for the US MTs, and obtain an injunction against these transcription companies to stop the outsourcing, the pay cuts under voice recognition technology, and the overhiring!

P.S.:  I will not respond to any replies under this thread; just don't have the time.  I'm posting the above just to help the MTs out.  Good luck!

We CAN do something. The above information can - be passed on, shared, and used - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
to educate and enlighten everyone else - the layman, most doctors, many hospital and clinic CEOs and upper management (who only know the dollars and cents of MT - NOT the nuts & bolts of it) about the human cost of all this MTSO underhandedness, price-undercutting, and often illegally-underpaid MT staff.

I just told a relative today about all the nastiness that's going on in my profession nowadays. It had all started when she asked me when I planned to retire, and I told her that would never be possible. She used to work at a major university teaching hospital in our state, and she was positively FLOORED to learn what had likely happened to the MT staff that used to work there, once the work was outsourced, offshored, and the MTs were let go. We discussed what I'm currently making, compared to just 2 or 3 short years ago, and she was amazed that I've been able to hang onto my apartment and not end up on the street.

Anyone who sees a doctor, whether it's in an office, a clinic, a hospital, or an ER, has a medical record. Yet some people don't even know THAT, let alone what might happen to the information in that medical record. Or what might happen to THEM if the information in it is wrong, because it was done in a slapdash manner by someone who is going just as fast as they can to survive on the 7 or 8 cents per line we get here, in the "Land of Opportunity", as it's mistakenly called, or the 2 or 3 rupees they get in India.

I think if most people knew that no matter how hard they try to protect themselves from identity theft, or to keep their personal medical histories PERSONAL, that all that goes out the window once the info leaves U.S. soil, they would be absolutely LIVID.

If each MT one day took the time to write just ONE letter to a state Governor, or a Senator, or a Congressman or woman, their own doctor, the Department Head of a local hospital, a major newspaper editorial page, a local news station's investigative reporter, etc., they would at least be doing something. Yes, it's only a "drop in the bucket". But if you add enough drops together, you can quickly have a raging torrent, or even an entire ocean.

I tell EVERYONE I talk to and they DO NOT care. Their - financial info OS too but they dont care. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Believe that if you want, but my experience has been - the complete flip-side of yours.

[ In Reply To ..]
Everyone I discuss it with is shocked and angry. One friend decided to ask her doctor if it was true. Her doc (one of the rare ones) said yes, all of their dictation was being done by an outside service, and the service was sending almost all of it offshore. She said her doctor wasn't happy at all about it.
Then is on YOUR shoulders to tell the world. They wont - listen to me. You go, girl. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
z
I fully intend to. I just get discouraged when I see - how beaten-down most MTs are - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
when it comes to trying to fight for their livelihoods. So many want to just curl up, pull the shades down, and hope it all blows over. That, in large part, is what got us into this mess in the first place, when managed care, and then AAMT, first reared their ugly heads. Trying to get women to stick together for something they care about is like trying to herd cats.

That's why I think it's important that every MT, no matter how futile they think the act is, should consider sending one consice, well-writting letter to just one person or entity that they think might read it. The written word is what we know best, and written letters carry 10 times the impact that just a spoken word does.

This goes for emails, too. They are too easily deleted and ignored. They are also too impersonal, and too easy for others to copy and imitate. But a self-composed, self-typed or handwritten letter, on actual paper, can carry an amazing amount of clout if the right person reads it. And all we need is for that one *right* person to read a well-written letter pointing out the travesty that is taking place on US soil with these largely Indian-owned or Indian-infiltrated MT companies.

And if we think India is a shifty place to be sending our medical records, and our livelihoods, just WAIT til it starts going to China... the company that has (and still is) poisoned our food, our pets' food, and replaced many hard-working US workers' products with cheap, shoddy, "Made in China" products. It scares me to think of sending our work, our records, and our personal information to a country that is climbing up in the corporate and financial world by to blatently cutting corners.
PS - please excuse my typos. - Letter-Writing MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I DO believe it. It is my personal experience. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Its too bad your personal experience with getting - the word out was so negative. (s/m)
[ In Reply To ..]
By turning you off to the idea of working to make things better, your experience has robbed the MT community of what might have been a valuable asset... someone who can put into words what is happening, and why it shouldn't be.
I havent stopped telling everyone, just dont see that - people care. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
xx
So what? I bet your friend didn't change providers though, did she? - People get angry but they will not act on it. sm
[ In Reply To ..]
It's part of the problem.

They will not act on their feelings so it stays the same.

Now, if those people who are angered or shocked or disappointed with this information REFUSED to get medical care from doctors or hospitals who engage in this practice, then we'd start seeing some change.

It isn't feasible for patients to buck the system: Their insurance carriers will not allow it, their own bank accounts will not allow it because another facility may be miles away, etc.

Lost cause.
I dont know if she changed doctors or not. But at least - she DID get a discussion started.
[ In Reply To ..]
x

Your relative cared cause she is linked to med. - Nobody else cares

[ In Reply To ..]
x

My friend cared, and shes not in med, shes a - dog-walker. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
A dog walker?? Does she know Arthur Heffernan? - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
??? - Never heard of him
[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

Anyone Receive A Reply From The Transcription Doctors Job Post On Their Post For Editscript MTs?
Mar 24, 2010

nm ...

Orthopedic Surgery, Is It Perineal Post Or Peroneal Post? NM
Feb 10, 2012

xx ...

RE: New Post Replies, Do They All Go To The Bottom Of The Original Post?
Jan 23, 2010

I don't remember that yet when I post lately it goes all the way to the bottom rather than immediately after the original post.  Perhaps I just never noticed it before.  Oh well... ...

Question On Post Vs Status Post
Oct 22, 2009

Sometimes I'm not sure what to do when they say "post" ... something. I know if it is postauricular (for example), it is attached ... but how about post aneurysmal surgery?  It does not seem like it would be attached.  - Is it proper to leave it stand-alone or should I change it to status post ... or actually attach it? Thanks in advance!!  ...

Remember When
Apr 23, 2010

Remember when – you were proud to be an MT – proud of the work you did and the physicians said thank you when you did a good job?   How about the bumper sticker years ago from AHDI (AAMT)  that they handed out at one of the conferences that read – MDs need MTs.   After 35 years in this profession, I call it quits.   All of us really just need a "thank you" from time to time to feel appreciated.     I have worked at ho ...

Remember?
Sep 01, 2010

Remember when we used to get that newsletter in the mail?  I found some today as I was packing my stuff.  Remember when they used to pat us on the back now and then? (usually right before they made a change that was a major hassle, though--and NEVER a pay increase, absolutely unheard of) Now they just hang us out to dry and we have to fend for ourselves. Wonder if they even notice we are dropping like flies. We never hear anything from management unless it's that they are i ...

Remember When....?
Sep 02, 2010

Remember back when you worked for a client of say 20-40 doctors?  When when you could kick your feet up and type with your eyes closed, you knew what the doctor was going to say before he said it.  Remember when you could type what he meant to say and not what he actually said.  Remember them appreciating that?  Remember no BOS or auditing scores?  Remember always having an abdundance of work and feeling very comfortable about it because you made great pay?  Remembe ...

Remember When QA Used To Just
Sep 18, 2010

catch errors, highlight them, and send them to you with a score?   No comments, no ridicule, no 'teaching, preching, and/or belittling.'   I mean,  QA used to just point out the errors once a quarterly run, and be there as a backup on blanks or questions because supposedly they are just that good at it.  When were they told to scold?  Why would they think a humiliation approach works?   ...

Can't Even Remember
Jan 11, 2012

You know the weird thing is that even after just 3 years, I cannot even remember the name of the last 2 companies I worked for - I was an independent contractor for the first 15 years and had my own accounts. That's pretty sad when you can't even remember a past employer (or maybe it isn't because you've blocked them from your memory because of the poor pay and constant outsourcing and waiting for them to find you more work). Now that I do remember. If anyone knows who I w ...

Does Anyone Remember - Sm
Jun 09, 2012

a drug website where you could put in the last part of a drug name and get some possibilities as far as the whole drug name?  I have a dictator that pauses the recording and then restarts during the medication list so I only hear the last part :( ...

More To Remember
Feb 17, 2014

Dangerous abbreviations that are in BOS are not to be observed unless the specific CP says to? I have NEVER operated like this, EVER. So now we get to check the CP and try and remember the BOS fix for the dangerous abbreviations (used to just keep it as a shortcut). I gotta get out of here, my mind doesn't process all this crap. ...

How Am I Going To Remember All Of This?
Jun 16, 2015

I am in coding school (home-based program) and as I read through the coding book, I try to understand all of the rules, etc., about what gets coded first and dual codes, when to use a particular code as a primary diagnosis, etc.  However, I find that I remember little of those rules the next day or even later in the day.  How do you remember all of these things, or do you even have to?  Is everything I am reading about rules also included in the instructions in the tabular index?& ...

Do You Remember The Days When ......
Nov 12, 2009

You actually looked forward to getting the PA instead of the doctor because they were so much easier to hear, understand, etc., except for the fact that most of them have no clue when it comes to pronouncing medications and feel that it is above them to spell the medication out.  In my case it seems that the roles have flipped nowadays, I absolutely hate seeing the PA coming up and would rather do the doctor any day of the week!!     ...

**** PMSI REMEMBER????
Feb 22, 2010

BEWARE.  We talked about her last time, how everyone tested and never heard back from her . . . there was a term they used for it when they get their work done by sending it out to people that thinkithey are testing for a job but they were being used to get her work caught up!!!! ...

Do You Remember This Guy? We Talked About Him
Mar 25, 2010

Awhile back we talked about this Vance.  He obviously reads this board and writes his stories.  I know someone mentioned STEPFORD WIVES CLUB and he has used this term now.  He is a writer and will be speaking at the AHDI in Phoenix coming up. Also, any of you working for MQ, there is an AHDI meeting May 8th in Eugene, OR.  I AM GOING.  I am so curious to hear what they have to say and I might not be able to keep my mouth shut and they might not like some of the question ...

I Am Sorry, But I Cannot Remember How QA Is Adjusted SM
Aug 06, 2010

How do the figure what we send to QA as far as our pay goes.  I am having a brain fart and cannot remember. I sent 1 to QA with 1 blank in it so does it go by that or the number of things they decided were wrong with it, because this person totally picked it apart changed things such as operation done at xxx hosptial to done in xxx hospital, etcetera.  It is not a verbatim account either.  I don't recognize the QA name either.   ...

Can't Remember What The LPH Quota Is. Do You Know?
Oct 05, 2010

Does anyone remember what the required lines per hour is?  Thanks! ...

ASR ; Old Timers, Remember When.....
Nov 18, 2010

Hey all you loyal MQ people who have been here for years (why we do it, I don't know) Remember when....they used to tell MTs DO NOT ENTER S/L in the QA NOTE, because it made QA "think" they would hear that word....well guess what...and this is for the suits and the managers who are looking, and we know you are .....ASR is nothing but a full report of sounds likes.  They wonder why errors are being seen in ASR reports?  DUH!!!      ...

I Remember The Days When...
Nov 26, 2011

Fresh out of a local vocational school for MT back in 1993,  I met with an established local MT, who allowed me to do a little of her work (with pay) to see how I would do because she wanted someone to take over on Fridays so she could have that day off.  Within a few months, she partnered with another transcriptionist in town for a separate account and gave me all the work from group that she was doing!  It was 5 docs and 2 NPs.  I did the work at her house on her computer. ...

Remember CyMed?
Dec 28, 2011

Does anyone remember CyMed (who was bought out by SPi in 2006)?  I was trying to remember the platform they used.  ...

I Don't Remember My Password So Now What? Nm
Jan 24, 2012

nm ...

Anyone Remember The Date?
Apr 18, 2012

When was it they "capped" our pay, giving most of us a pay cut?  I meant to write it down (don't know why, but I usually record these things), but I never did and can't find the cheery e-mail informing us of our "new" rates!  I have all my pay stubs, but they're basically indecipherable. Anyone remember what month that was?     ...

Does Anyone Remember The Name Of The Company.......
Feb 05, 2013

that suddenly closed down in India....  IIRC, the story goes that people showed up for work one morning and the doors were locked.  The entire company moved out overnight without any notice or explanation.   A friend and I were trying to remember who this was.  it was a well known (with us transcriptionists, anyway) service.   Thx ...

Does Anyone On Here Remember Working For The Old MQ
Feb 24, 2013

down near Philadelphia and what happened to those people that worked in that office.  I would like to know where they are now.  This is going back a few years and I cant remember the name of the town but I know it was near Philadelphia. ...

Can Anyone Remember An Instrument
Mar 27, 2013

TIA ...

Does Anyone Remember The Name Of The MQ Employee
Apr 16, 2013

Boston bombings made me think of her.  If I remember right, the only place I learned that she was a MedQuist employee was on MT Stars.  MQ didn't bother to put out an e-mail about her, jckas company that they are.  Just curious... ...

Does Anybody Remember The Claim
Aug 31, 2013

How in no more than 90 days, VR would be completely trained to put out perfect drafts?  What the happened to that?  I am going to throw that up to my TL, just for grins, every time they rake us over for critical errors, customer complaints and so on.  Yes, we are making the errors (or at least some of them) but with drafts getting worse, we are being set up! ...

Remember Back In The Day....
Jan 23, 2014

when you could make a good living by being an MT? What's up with these companies over-hiring and having us sit for hours on end with no work? Why hire so many if you don't need them? I finally quit and will never do MT work again because after going to VR, I sat here for 11 hours on average each day either waiting for work or doing very little work and my last check for an entire month was $240. After 17 years of this work and working for a company that I loved until they sold out ...

Remember When We Thought VR Would Be The End Of Us? We
Apr 19, 2014

x ...

I Don't Remember How To Log Into Enrich
Oct 23, 2014

I have no idea what username or password to use, what with the different work email, escription, fiesa, weblock and ADP site usernames ans passwords.  Can anyone guide me in the right direction?  I feel like I am up a creek w/out a paddle! ...