A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Whose ears are getting blasted by dictator's computer noises? - incoming emails are killing my eardrums

Posted: Aug 20, 2014

Holy mackerel, there is no predicting when they will get an email.

I get cell phones, vacuum cleaners, loud conversations - - you name it. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I've refused to do certain dictators - due to that

[ In Reply To ..]
I contacted my manager and said look, he speaks softly so the volume has to be up, then he gets an email or his phone goes off and it's excruciating. Went to the ENT and got a note attesting to the toll that crap takes on hearing and now I simply refuse to do that doctor.

I think workers com p cases should be filed but not on the MTSO, on the doctor (Yes, I know that's not possible) but since the doc is the one causing the problem, he should pay up.

and do you actually have tinnitus? sm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm surprised your MTSO lets you get away with that. Doc's note is a little extreme, don't you think? I mean, it's common knowledge if not common sense what many years of exposure could evolve into. Too bad voice files cannot be saved to prove it happens at all, or enough to be rewarded legally if that were an option. You would probably have to go deaf in one or both ears for that. (Doctor's note. You tickle me.)

get away with what - due to that

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not getting away with anything. This doctor is a primadona who has been asked to speak louder and has been asked to not have his recorder where it will pick up these sounds. I'm not talking a small sound. I'm talking you have to turn the volume up all the way to hear him so when you get an email sound or his phone rings, you throw off the headset. I've had 20% MORE loss of hearing in the year of doing this guy. So I'm not doing him anymore.

And my MTSO is happy to have me and knows my worth so if that's what you think I'm "getting away with" well yes, she allows me to not transcribe him because she'd rather not lose me. If no one else is taking that stance on the account, that's their bad.
Replying to "get away with what" - eom
[ In Reply To ..]
Good for you. When I did MT and encountered a doctor who was too mean/stupid to speak normally and set the recorder so that it would not pick up unnecessary sounds, I would always refuse those files. My good health will always come first.
Oh, so it's really about boss not wanting to lose your talents - and not ear damage.
[ In Reply To ..]
which would not require a (potential job hazard) note from a doctor at all. Still think that was extreme, but cute. What can I say - it tickles me. No biggie. It is what it is, whatever that is.

Have a great weekend, everyone.

Loud TVs and kids screaming nearby... - SickNTired

[ In Reply To ..]
The louder the background noise, the more quietly the doctor dictates. :(

Similar Messages:

In The PE He Dictates HEENT: Ears NTM Bilaterally. He Is NOT Saying "ears And TM" Sm
Jun 28, 2011

He's clearly saying Ears: NTM bilaterally .....  and ears and TM bilaterally makes no sense anyway.  Anyone know what that acronym could stand for?? in regard to ears/heent ???  I can't find it anywhere.  ...

I Will Probably Get Blasted For This, But Can Somebody Explain To Me
Dec 21, 2010

why some MTs make it their business what every other MT is doing during their work day.  I work directly for a hospital and we are given the capability to look at the jobs that are on the system waiting to be transcribed and we are allowed to assign jobs, change the priority of a job, etc.  The reason we are given this capability is because those working in the hospital, nurses, doctors, HIM staff, etc. have our phone numbers and if they need a report they can call us at home. Sometim ...

Are You Sitting Next To That Blasted Beeping
Oct 12, 2014

Long dictation, and my earing are killing me already...thanks you idiot. Is there anyway to save voice files? I mean at some point I will be deaf from this job, workers comp sounds about right ...

Silly ESL Noises (please Add Your Own)
Jan 28, 2012

"Put a dot here."  (He wants a period at the end of the sentence.)  ...

Sick Of Background Noises
Apr 15, 2014

Anyone ever just want to type a note in the QA box to the client regarding background noises of nurses etc running their mouth about anything, cell phones going off, ventilator going up and down, etc etc etc.  I have a doctor right now, and a long report, that so far has 23 QA markers all because the nurses (? anyway females) in the background are so loud and the doctor is listening to them and trying to dictate, not to mention he needs to use a Kleenex and is a horrible ESL.   Ok ...

Speaking Of Irritating Noises...
Jan 23, 2015

It's that cold time of year, where the MT is forced to listen to dictators with a LOT of snot in their noses, which they periodically loudly sniff back and swallow.  Unfortunately, I have a very vivid imagination, and the mental image of makes me almost gag. Another annoying thing is when doctors speak in a low, barely audible voice, but their "S's" come out with a whistle, so each time you turn the sound up, you get the loud, shrieking whistle ...

Ears
Mar 17, 2011

Doc dictates that ear canals and TMs are slightly injected, but no pain or s/l "pore-eye-tus". Ideas?  Thanx! ...

Ears Sm
Sep 30, 2011

Ears:  "aflux" present ??? ...

ENT - Glue Ears
Sep 18, 2010

Employing a Zeiss operating microscope, (S/L keratosquamous) debris and cerumen... As always, THANK YOU in advance... ...

HAPPY NEW EARS TO YOU ALL IN MQ LAND
Dec 31, 2009

No it is not a typo, and yes I am drinking.  So what.  ...

Stick A Finger In My Eye And Both Ears
Jul 10, 2012

I'm on my 29th report for the day and I have not had one decent dictator yet.  It's been solid insanity.  The whole day has been filled with: 1.  ESLs.  They are saying the right words, but they're not pronouncing them anywhere close to correct. 2.  What the heck?  Everyone is yawning and talking.  Please stop talking, go ahead and yawn (if you can't find the pause feature!) and then continue with your hard to unde ...

Is It My Ears, Or The Audio Software?
Aug 11, 2012

I'm new to having to work for an MTSO. The sound quality is atrocious on 80% of their dictators. The good dictators are perfectly clear. I will stop and adjust the speed/volume playing something mumbled over and over and not be able to understand it, then go back to re-listen when finished transcribing and it is perfectly clear on the first listen. Has anyone else experienced this with the sound quality, or have I developed some sort of hearing deficit? Thanks. ...

I Have Pinkeye And Congested Ears, But...
Feb 18, 2014

I have had pinkeye and congested ears for over 2 weeks now - went to an urgent care center, the nurse even said my eyes looked pink, but I was given nothing for it.  Last week I was called on the carpet by TSM, stating I am making too many errors.  Do you think I can't hear because my ears are congested and I can't see because I obviously have infection in my already suffering eyesight??  Why can't I get treatment for this?? ...

Falling On Deaf Ears
Jun 19, 2015

x ...

Patient Has Some S/l Vomis Behind The Ears Bilaterally
Dec 23, 2009

This sounds like vomis/vaumis/volmis/volmus OR it could be a phomis sound.  Or maybe it begins with an "F." God only knows.  This is for an infant with a lot of dry skin during the physical exam.  What does this poor child have?? ...

Does There Really Have To Be A Loud Ding In Our Ears When There Is No Match For ADT??
Jan 05, 2011

This doctor not only mumbles the name, but mumbles the spelling of the name.  I try every which way to spell what I hear, but I get that "no matching results found for the chosen criteria" ALONG WITH THAT *$#$ DING.  Its not enough to get that message of not finding the patient, but to hear that ding is driving me crazy....especially with report after report of this same name mumbling man... ...

Ears Reveal Light Reflex To Be S/l: Sharp / Short?
Apr 12, 2012

Ears reveal light reflex to be s/l: sharp / short ?  ...

Webmedx - Company Computer Versus Own Computer?
Feb 04, 2010

I read that Medmedx supplies computers but you can only have Cable or DSL connection.   I live in an area where I cannot get cable or DSL.  I have a wireless connection.   My question is, do they allow you to use our own computers?   Thanks for your time and have a great day? ...

Own Personal Computer Versus MQ Supplied Computer?
Jul 18, 2011

The reason I ask this question is for my internet I have a USB modem.  Do the computers supplied by Q have any extra USB ports so I can plug my Verizon in there? Thanks! ...

Change From Company-provided Computer To Own Computer
Aug 04, 2011

I am in the process of transitioning jobs and will be going from a company-provided computer to my own.  Any suggestions on what software programs are needed, virus protection, word expanders, line counting, and hardware like foot pedal?  The hospital I am looking into will be using Microsoft Word.  Any comments on whether this is a good program or not to transcribe on?  Any tips?  I have been with the same company for 15 years, so have been out of the loop and need ...

Ears Playing Tricks? S/l "golden Effusion Stutter"
Feb 05, 2010

Sentence: At arthroscopy he had a s/l "golden effusion stutter" with few cartinaginous fragments. Makes no sense but I can't get my head wrapped around it. Any ideas? ...

Ears-anterior S/l "white Mouth" Traction Pocket?
Jan 25, 2012

white mouth or wide mouth? ...

Get Away From Dictator
Dec 28, 2009

Does anybody know how long a report stays in our specific work pool?  I've done a break on a report hoping to get rid of it.  But it keeps showing back up.  I'm trying to make up some sick time, but I just can't understand this garble and have already spent way too much time trying to decipher it.  I've been checking on and off for the last 30 minutes and it keeps showing back up.  Help!!!! ...

Ever Had A Dictator So Bad.......
Apr 25, 2011

you wanted to quit mid shift?????  Sigh.  I had one of those yesterday.  Everytime I see his name come up in my cue I cringe!!!!  He is horrible.  Horrible accent.  I did notice though after doing about 3 or 4 of his reports, my ears becames "trained" on him and I get better with him as time went by.  But still, he is one that just makes my momentum (sp) drop drastically!  Just venting!!!  Thanks for letting me share. ...

Please Somebody Tell This Dictator
Apr 04, 2012

that he does NOT have to say "next sentence" before every sentence.  I'm looking at 16+ minutes of this.....I'm just sayin! ...

Help!!!! Dictator Wants You To Cancel
Dec 03, 2009

What do you do if you are typing on a document for 780 seconds and the dictator at the very end tells you to cancel this and erase everything because she already dictated it?  In all my years I was lucky enough not to get this until now.  I was thinking about sending it in anyway because I just spent all this time on it!!!! ...

This ASR Dictator Is Killing Me!
Dec 06, 2009

This doctor says "ah" inbetween just about every other word.  So I'm spending all my time in the ASR taking out a bunch of "a's"!!! Wouldn't normally ah vent, but I've ah had her a lot ah today! ...

I Clearly Hear The Dictator Say
Jan 26, 2010

Coumadin 30 mg per day. Now, I want to make sure I'm not dreaming here, but that is completely incorrect, right? Maybe I'm having a brain lapse (been an MT for 20 years) but I want to make sure my thinking is correct that this dosage would probably be lethal? I'm going to leave a blank for the dosage, but I just wanted to double check with my MT friends.  I have listened to it many times, and she is positively saying "30 mg per day."   TIA!! ...

Help With Labs/ESL Dictator
Mar 01, 2010

This is what it sounds like. "His WBC 11.48, and his 12.4 and 37.0 PT/PTT were normal." It seems like "PT/PTT were normal." Should be a sentence on its own, but then I'm not sure what the 12.4 and 37.0 lab values would be for. Grr... Any help would be greatly appreciated! ...

Dictator Speed
Mar 15, 2010

I am just curious as to what speed setting to most of you keep it on when doing ASR?  I try to keep mine between 8 and 9 unless it's an extremely slow dictator.  I would like to increase my line count, but I'm afraid if I  speed it up too much I might miss something. ...