A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Typing speed of MT's - Happy MT

Posted: Feb 17, 2011

No one seems to talk about typing speed these days.  I see a huge difference in earning ability of an MT by their typing speed.  I get resumes and people don't even put their typing speed on a resume often.  I have to go back and ask them.  It is the best ruler out there.  Are there any 100 wpm typists out there looking for clinic work, M-F, 9-5?  Since we all work by production, obviously the faster you type, the more you will earn (and happier you will be) but you just never see any posts about speed. 

There are HUGE changes in medical transcription in this country.  I have been in it for over 20 years.  I made more money at 9 and 10 cpl years ago doing straight typing than I can make now at 13 cpl because of dealing with EMRs, going in and out of patient charts, etc.  I have never done any VR or editing.  I don't know how you make money editing when you have to listen to the whole voice file and can type as fast as they talk?!?!   I work my **** off 10, 12, 15 hours a day to make $40,000 a year.  I don't mind because I love getting paid to do what I love to do, surrounded by my pets.  But for sure, things have changed.  There are so many unhappy MT's on this board.  If I was that unhappy, I would be training to do something else. 

Typing speed of MTs - Snowshoe

[ In Reply To ..]
Hooray! Thank you for bringing up somethg dear to my hear--typing speed! I have been doing ALL kinds of transcription for over 30 years and average 100-110 WPM. I am a frustrated recent graduate of an MT course who also cannot find a job! This is the first time in all my "surfing" where someone has mentioned typing speed. Thank you, Happy MT, for making my day!

Typing speed - Snowshoe

[ In Reply To ..]
I WAS SO EXCITED MADE TYPOS! :>)
Sorry!

Extremely good point, Happy. NO doubt the more well paid MTs - Pragmatist

[ In Reply To ..]
and editors are all good typists.

I'm naturally below-average in speed but okay after all these years of practice. I recently tested myself at around 100 wpm-typing the kind of text I do all day anyway, no foxes. My last resume had a base typing speed on it (guessed at somewhere around 85-90), also the simple information that I used an expander extensively, but strangely no weekly lines average, solidly self-promoting info that that can be. Um, just remembered. I moved because of lack of work for some time and lousy lines.

Today my resume would list my typing speed with expander and might not include without at all since if I lost it I'd immediately file for disability. :)

BTW, a lot of the time, in some cases all th time, editors speed up dictators so they sound like they're playing with helium balloons. No need to plod along in real time if there aren't a ton of corrections slowing you down. I'm always moving the speed up and down, keeping it as fast as I can manage.

TO SNOWSHOE - Happy MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Invited you in earlier post to contact me by e-mail regarding job...

I have no idea what my typing speed is. I - concentrate on how many

[ In Reply To ..]
lines I am getting and haven't really taken the time to really care what my wpm comes to. Also, I find it hard to put a specific speed as a I have some doctors that I can type around 300 lph and others that are around 200 lph.

On my resume, I always put a weekly average of my line counts and my accuracy rating, but honestly, I don't think anyone has every asked me how many wpm I type for a transcription job.

Disagree - Old MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Typing speed is NOT the greatest indicator! Knowledge is, and along with that, knowing how to work/research smart.

I type 100 WPM, but it wouldn't mean diddly if I didn't know diddly. I always put it on my resume, but I wouldn't work for someone just because they felt I typed fast enough for them. I like to think all my years of working hard to gain experience and knowledge is worth more than my typing speed.

Typing speed - Happy MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Old MT, I mean ASSUMING they are experienced MT's. Obviously not pertinent if they didn't know "diddly" about MT.

Only an audio test would reflect an MT's true speed. nm - oldtimer

[ In Reply To ..]

You probably wouldn't hire me based on my typing speed - ICManiac

[ In Reply To ..]
A few months ago this issue came up and I went to an online site to test my speed. I think it was in the low 60s. *shrug* The reason for this is that I am trained in the use of abbreviations. On one occasion I asked if I could type in abbreviations and was told I could. It turned out I was not the only person who had asked and they have a conversion template to help them convert my test. I did over 300 wpm.

Like you, I make over $40k, and yes I put in a lot of hours, but not nearly the numbers you state for yourself. I transcribe something every single day, but if I work an 8-hour day, well, let's just say I only work 4 the next. I think my point here is that I don't see speed as a sole factor for considering whether or not an MT is a good productive MT.

Don't know and don't care - LK

[ In Reply To ..]
Typing speed is relatively unimportant, IMO. Of course, to be a good MT your typing speed needs to be decent. But what really counts is what's in your head, how well you use shortcuts, and how much time you spend with your hands on the keyboard versus wasting time. If someone asked me my typing speed, I would tell them I don't know. But I'm an extremely fast and accurate MT, and that's based more on what's going on in my head than in my fingers.

It just goes to show you that most MTSO and/or recruiters...sm - oldtimer

[ In Reply To ..]
have no clue what to look for when hiring a competent MLS. Speed is good (LPH) but knowledge, research skills and expanders are everything.

Typing Speed - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Right. Speed isn't everything. It just doesn't make sense what the poster said about how many wpm someone can type.

Of course speed is a factor. Half this job is mechanical. - Expanders require typing too. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Don't know typing speed - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Have kept track of my average lines over the years and use that as a reference when asked. Doesn't make much difference how fast I type if I'm handed a 15-minute dictation with a third of it filled with turning pages and throat being cleared. Have had plenty of those, even with the clinic work I worked on years ago for a large multispecialty clinic.

Typing speed - oldish MT

[ In Reply To ..]
You can't really calculate or most don't calculate a typing speed using the computer. It was different when we used typewriters because we were inputting every keystroke.

I transcribe at relatively fast conversational speed for most of my dictators, as long as they are talking medical-ese. Sit me in my chair and dictate a Dear John, Today is Friday blah blah letter and I'm probably just under conversational speed because my brain/finger connection doesn't think in those terms.

I agree that for people like me who type as fast or faster than they talk, trying to make a living doing editing is difficult. We'll never double our capacity so if the VR pay is low, we're basically screwed. Found out yesterday we're going VR next month. Happy. Happy. Joy. Joy.

Rubbish. It's the lack of knowledge and experience - that costs MTs. (sm)

[ In Reply To ..]
Your speed will not any difference if you cannot keep up with the dictator by understanding what you are hearing.

The only relevant production # is the LPH for - both transcription and editing.

[ In Reply To ..]
It requires KNOWLEDGE and EXPERIENCE.

No, only relevant production # is dollars per hour, which - is how we pay for living in USA. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Typing speed is IRRELEVANT in a profession - that is so frequently OUT OF WORK. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
Xx

Similar Messages:

Typing Speed
Jun 07, 2011

Does anyone know what the expected typing speed is to get a job - have lots of experience, but ASR work has slowed my typing speed! ...

Typing Speed Test - Sm
Mar 17, 2012

I need some help/opinions.  I think I transcribe fairly fast, i.e., lines per hour.  I have been looking to get out of MT and into something related and have been given a typing test (in person) on a couple of occasions.  The problem is that I stink at typing from written copy as opposed to from hearing it via dictation.  My brain just isn't wired to pass these tests :( ...

My Typing Speed Is Puny Compared To All Of You.
Feb 17, 2011

I feel so inadequate as a typist after reading all of your posts.  I can't type anywhere nearly as fast as you guys.  Quality does mean a lot to me, plus at times I'm dyslexic and my fingers have a mind of their own.   I may find that quality will go out the window, though, if I get a job being paid by the lines (currently I'm paid by the hour inhouse) as I'm attempting to do. ...

Anybody Using Smart Type Speed Typing Software?
Aug 19, 2011

Is any body using Smart Type speed typing software?  I could not find it on the net.  Please let me know if it is still availabe.  sf ...

Typing Speed Cut In Half With Poor Dictators? Try This...
May 29, 2015

It can be shocking to see what your actual typing speed averages with poor dictators, pauses in dictation, having to research, etc. Take your total lines per shift. Divide by number of hours you work. Times  11 (I believe average words per line) Divided by 60 (minutes)  Equals your words per minute.  So if you do what many MTSOs require,  250 lines transcription per hour, your average typing speed to achieve that is 45.8 WPM.  If your typing ...

ASR Speed
Apr 10, 2012

I've been transcribing for 23 years. I recently got switched to pretty much all ASR and I really like it. However, the pay is only 4 cents per line plus my shift differential, so that's 4.75 cents per line. I started ASR three days ago. I find it totally non-stressful, pleasant, and interesting. But I am averaging about $7.50 an hour! I don't necessarily need to get tons of money, but this isn't even minimum wage in California (which is $8.00 per hour). How can I get speed? I ...

QA SPEED
Jun 09, 2012

Does anyone know what a safe speed is for QA?  Some MT's I know can edit at 180 to 190 on the speed bar on Nuance Escription.  Managers say these are their "top performers," but I would like to be a fly on the wall to see how their reports are finished on QA. ...

Speed
Nov 04, 2012

So tell me, how do I pick up speed?  I average about 184 lines an hour.  The stats they send out say most of you are doing 220 lines an hour.  What can I do to pick up speed?  My accounts do not allow templates of more than 75 words.  The 7.1 is better with regard to looking up reports, but I still don't know if I am supposed to hit enter after one section before moving on to the next one (history and physical...enter???, then past medical history, for example).&nbs ...

Another Speed Question
Jan 26, 2010

Just wondering how many lines and hour an MT who uses no expanders or macros whatsoever can type.  Anyone know? The fact that there are so many variables kind of sucks because an MT can't really argue if their company gives them a hard time about their speed since there may be no one else to compare with (in an fair way). ...

Dictator Speed
Mar 15, 2010

I am just curious as to what speed setting to most of you keep it on when doing ASR?  I try to keep mine between 8 and 9 unless it's an extremely slow dictator.  I would like to increase my line count, but I'm afraid if I  speed it up too much I might miss something. ...

Trying To Increase Speed...
Sep 25, 2010

Does anyone have any hints/suggestions/help for working more quickly in Powerscribe editing radiology reports?  The program seems a bit sluggish and you have to wait on it when you want to go on to the next step/next report.  Any hints for copying/pasting more quickly, etc?  Any info would be greatly appreciated as I am trying to increase my speed.  TIA ...

TransTech VR Speed
Jan 21, 2011

I'm wondering if anyone else likes to keep the VR speed above 100% when doing VR?  What number are you comfortable with?  I know there are some docs that have to be slowed down to 100% speed or below, but what's your comfortable speed?  I have mine set at 115%, but I'm trying to creep up to 120% to see if it helps the line count a little. ...

Gauging Speed
Feb 24, 2011

I was wondering how long it would take an experinced MT to transcribe a 1:20 (one hour and 20 minutes) report? I am new at this and I think this took me waaayyyy longer than it should have. Can't help but to think I chose the wrong path....lol I guess my speed was about one hour per 9 minutes....The company told me a good transcriber would be one hour for 15 minutes....Is this correct....Turn around time was 24 hours and I barely made the deadline.... ...

How Long Does It Take To Get Up To Speed
Aug 08, 2011

I know everyone's different, so just asking for an avg.  Just found out today (after finally getting to a somewhat stable line count) that my former Spheris acct w/ be switching to it shortly. ...

Speed Talkers
Aug 29, 2011

I am so tired of these docs and PAs screaming through their PEs that I am just so tempted to just put a big fat QA marker for the whole thing.  Yes we can go back and look at old reports (full of conflicting info, blanks, plain wrong) but between that and listening over and over,  geez we sure do spend a lot of time "working" for which we are not paid!  ...

How Long Does It Take You To Get Up To Speed?
Sep 08, 2011

How long do you give a new job a shot before you know whether or not you will be able to be productive with it? I really want to give up my current full-time job, but I have tried a couple of other MTSOs and their platforms are so much more time-consuming and I end up not being able to make any money.  I know that it will take a bit of time to get totally up to speed. Just wondering how long it takes others to get up to a comfortable speed at a new company or when you know you have to throw ...

They Really Need To Speed Their Servers Up
Mar 01, 2012

Not only their mail server but the DocQmanage server as well.  Its ridiculous.  There have been so many times where I knew I could fill in one of my blanks if I could just look at some of the old work in DQM, but when doing a search, it takes so long, I end up just saying the heck with it and sending it off with the blanks.  It's not like I have a slow connection either.  I'm on fiber at 10 mbs, so that's not the problem. ...

Keyboard Speed
Jun 20, 2012

A lot is being said about stepping up speed and productivity as far as keyboard techniques, but I think my problem is mostly that I cant think that fast as far as sentence structure and meaning.  And if I speed things up, I worry about whether I actually heard it right and if I have left out words here and there.  I like to quickly proof the report but I have read that an MT should proof only 2 reports per day.  Any advice? ...

SPEED OF DICTATION
Sep 26, 2012

On every single report, the speed starts out so fast that it is hard to keep up with even the dictators I am familiar with.  I have to adjust it on every report.  Can some one please tell me a way to fix it permanently?  Thanks. ...

Speed Type
Apr 30, 2013

I am planning to purchase Speed Type within the next couple of days and would appreciate hearing from others who use it. I'm wondering: Do I actually need to purchase the training resources in order to learn how to use it? About how long did it take you to learn how to use it? Just how beneficial is it for an MT to have? ...

Is It Me Or Did They Change The Speed
Jan 05, 2014

Same speed that I always have it marked, but sounds like the dictators are dictating at the speed of light today..Bet the company changed it to try and speed us up ...

EditScript Speed
Mar 27, 2014

Don't you just *love* it when the system decides to speed up certain dictators to so fast that no one can comprehend - and theoretically they want you to edit them that fast?  Gees - so annoying to have to slow them down to a reasonable level all because some idiot who doesn't do transcription thinks we can go faster! ...

Wage While Gaining Speed
Nov 23, 2009

Would someone be so kind as to tell me, does Medquist pay at least minimum wage after formal training, but while you are learning your new account and trying to get up to production requirements?  Or, do they pay strictly on production only?  Thanks!  ...

Building Speed With Editscript?
May 14, 2010

I've been working for a while on the Editscript platform.  My company pays me 3 cpl for VR (ridiculous) and 6 cpl for ST (also ridiculous).  I felt like I had to take this job because I was a new grad and it took me three months to find it.  I am unable to make over $10/hr at my very fastest, even using Instant Text.  Most days, it's more like $7-8/hr.  I can't survive like this! Anyway, it's good that I'm learning the platform, and it sounds li ...

Ergonomic Keyboards And Speed
Aug 25, 2011

I'm switching up my office stuff and i'm thinking about getting an ergonomic keyboard. I have been typing on a laptop and every once in a while my hands cramp up. I was just wondering if anyone had a learning curve with the ergo keyboard and if it slowed down their production at all. Thanks! :) ...

Do You Really Need 4 MB Download Internet Speed?
Sep 14, 2011

The offer packet says we have to have 4 to 8 MB download speed. Do you really need that much speed? Living in the country, my average high-speed is 1.5 MB download and 0.54 upload. What I have works fine for me now, but will that be a problem working for MQ? ...

IE For Firefox And What A Difference In Speed!
Nov 18, 2012

On both my Win XP and Vista computers I had tremendous slow downs and freezes while using Internet Explorer. In checking the Task Manager/Processes it showed several iexplore.exe files running and getting bigger, up to 500,000K. By shutting down the biggerst one I had immediate improvement in speed, but sometimes this would shut down the Internet connection. I was constantly having to shut down one of these files. I switched to Firefox and what a huge improvement! It consistently runs on about 1 ...

Why Does Upload Speed Matter?
Jan 10, 2013

I don't get it. Suddenly companies are asking about download & upload speed of my computer. My computer has worked just fine for MT work for over 9 years now. Nobody has ever asked about the speed before, and I've never had any problems. Now I'm looking for work and because my upload speed isn't 1.5 or above, places won't hire me despite my qualifications.  ...

Download/upload Speed
Mar 21, 2013

My work computer seems to be slow doing research, etc. lately. I recently had unfamiliar work given to me and keep quite a few tabs and manuals open, so thinking it could be a RAM issue but not sure.  I did a speed test during a slow spell, and my download speed was 15.75 mbps and upload speed was 2.90 mbps.  I'm really not sure what a good speed is.  - I have a personal computer as well, but it is barely running these days, so it's always very slow (so can't judg ...

How To Get My Speed Up When I Get Different Docs And Specialties Every Day
Apr 23, 2013

I do transcription for a hospital conglomerate, and we have thousands of doctors. I find that ever since we started a new program last year, I no longer get a lot of the same docs like I used to, but I get different dictators, different work types and different specialties all day every day. It's very frustrating because I find that I'm learning new specialties all day but, because there's apparently nothing I can do about it, I have to just live with it and work on getting m ...