A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Med. transcriptionists required to get flu shots? - onedayMT

Posted: Oct 01, 2011

HI all,

I could've sworn I read this somewhere that medical transcriptionists - even the REMOTE ones WORKING AT HOME ! - are REQUIRED by some employers to get annual flu shots. Is this true?? Does anyone have any experience with this? I found it quite odd, to say the least.

Also, does anyone know if this is true of med transcriptionists that work IN A HOSPITAL - this I know, that some hospitals these days are requiring vaccinations of all workers. Ready and waiting to read your input :  )

Thanks!

flu shot - cr

[ In Reply To ..]
I worked in quite a few hospitals over many years, up until recently, and never was required to get a flu shot. Most years I chose not to.

I work for the biggest, OneDay, and no flu shot - requirement to date. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I work at home directly for a hospital and they strongly - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
encourage us to come in for our free flu shot, but if we opt not to, we have to sign a waiver. However, if you work in the hospital and have direct patient/visitor contact they are requiring the shot.

I personally never get a flu shot. I've gotten them in the past and I know they say you can't get sick from the flu shot, but I always did get sick right after I had the shot. So I figured if I was going to be sick anyway, why bother. Plus I have had one documented case of the flu in the last 10 years and it wasn't that bad. I was sick with fever for two days and then had a cough for two weeks. My doctor took a nasal swab and it was flu, but it was too late for any of the anti-flu drugs they give you and just muddled through. I lived.

I do make my son get a flu shot every year because he has asthma and he is also the one that tends to bring germs home with him and make everyone else sick. And that has worked out well for us so far. Keeping him well, keeps the rest of us well.

Flu shot - RADMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I work at home for a hospital and we are required to get the flu shot. There is waiver you can sign to opt out. What happens if you opt out, I am not sure.

I worked for a university medical center and we did not. - once they moved us off campus

[ In Reply To ..]
We only had to when there was possibility of patient contact. I will probably get mine this year at my doctor's office.

I work at home and nobody will ever tell me what to do - with my body when I never

[ In Reply To ..]
set foot on their property for work or meetings, etc.

amen, sister! - freemindMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Learning what I've learned about vaccines especially with the flu and fast-track swine flu vaccine combo, I don't want anything to do with it. It should be the choice of the person, especially in their own home. Even an in institution, it should be a person's choice, as long as real germ safety standards are in place, as others mention (stayin in when sick, handwashing).

Until vaccine manufacturers can guarantee in writing that there is no harm in taking these laboratory cocktails, and be LIABLE and RESPONSIBLE for their products, I'll have my health be my own responsibility.

freemindMT - Rationalist

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm with you. And studies have shown that the flu vaccine is only 12% effective. My physician (yes, an M.D.) says he thinks the flu shot is very dangerous.

Flu shot - Rainy

[ In Reply To ..]
I never had an employer, in-hospital or at-home, require a flu shot. Tetanus vaccine was required in-hospital, though. Not a bad idea for a major klutz like me.

In-House - nursingstudent

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm in nursing school and the hospital where I am doing my clinical requires all in-house employees to get a flu shot unless you have an allergy to something in the shot. I always get mine anyone, but I really think it should be your choice. I'm not much for employer mandates!

Flu Shot - FLMLS

[ In Reply To ..]
I got sick one year from the flu thought I was gonna die, so I work at home and I get that darn Flu shot no matter what. No fun to try and transcribe with a bucket by our side, aches and pains, trying to keep you head up, etc.

I think, tho, we're talking 'required by employer.' - not so much personal choice.

[ In Reply To ..]

Flu shots - Me

[ In Reply To ..]
I do not get flu shots, ever, because of religious objections (related to stem-cells). I do not want to debate that issue here, but I will tell you that they CANNOT force you to get a flu shot. Whether you do or you do not is your own personal choice.

Chicken eggs are not stem cells - Look It Up

[ In Reply To ..]
Flu shots are produced in chicken eggs, not stem cells. There is no connection between the two.

If you have an objection to vaccinations, that's fine, but you don't need to claim any religious objection to stem cells to avoid them.

It's a lot easier . . . and more believable . . . just to tell them you're allergic to eggs.

The consent form for the shot has a question asking if you are allergic to eggs. That doesn't have anything to do with stem cells, but has to do with EGGS. Chicken eggs.

And, no they can't force you to get a flu shot, but they can relieve you of your job if you refuse without a good reason. They have an obligation to protect their patients. If you choose to assert your right to be a Typhoid Mary, that's fine, but you don't have to be one on their payroll.

I get a flu shot every year because I had the flu once, nearly died, and lost a total of 4 weeks pay because of it. Years later, I contracted H1N1 before the vaccine was available in my area, ended up with pneumonia, and for two weeks expected not to wake up every time I went to sleep. I wanted to die that time and was sick for 3 months.

When you see how horrible the flu can be and how much pay you can lose because of it, it's amazing how much your attitude toward a little vaccination will change.

Look It Up - Me

[ In Reply To ..]
You need to do research about how the flu vaccine was developed. In any event, the issue was not a moral debate about stem cells (I made that clear in my post)but rather about each person's right to choice. I neither want nor need your pseudomedicl advice. You do what you want and I follow my own conscience. That's the way the world works. Have a nice evening.
Scientist here - chicken eggs are still not - Stem Cells
[ In Reply To ..]
I know how the flu vaccine was developed, and I also know WHEN. It was developed decades before stem cell research ever started.

Flu vaccine was developed in chicken eggs. They inject virus into the eggs, wait until it replicates sufficiently to harvest, and then harvest it.

I don't know what you are calling "stem cells," but maybe your definition is different.

I'm a microbiologist, so I'm pretty sure what I'm talking about. The flu vaccine given today IS MADE IN CHICKEN EGGS. READ THE LABEL.

Right, you don't want to discuss it because you have little ground to stand on. I choose to point this out because I feel it is MY moral obligation to inform people of the correct facts so that they don't get sucked into thinking this vaccine has anything to do with stem cells.

Do you eat eggs? If you do, then you can't claim to avoid this vaccine because it's grown in eggs and "eggs have stem cells." Eggs contain embryos, yes, and that's what you eat when you eat eggs. So, every time you EAT an EGG, you're consuming embryonic cells.

Stem Cells - sunshine
[ In Reply To ..]
If you are an actual microbiologist, why in the world are you working as a medical transcriptionist and/or posting on an MT board in the first place???
Off topic but, how on earth did you come to - alana
[ In Reply To ..]
the only conclusion that the microbiologist is working as a medical transcriptionist?

Me, I recommend the CDC website for reliable - information on this matter. As a

[ In Reply To ..]
starting point.

I also believe you owe LookItUp an apology for your rude tone in response to some very good, sensible advice.

BTW, the kind information offered might not just save you some days of misery, but could potentially save your life, or that of someone you care for. There are some nasty flu strains out there, with more mutating all the time. It is only a matter of time before we get one that spreads as eagerly as the H1N1 did but is as virulent as epidemiologists feared that one might turn out to be. Even if we do have a vaccine developed for it, people running to get vaccinated late may well find the supply has already run out.

That's the first time I've heard of flu shots being "required", - in the past, even as an in-house MT, - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
it was strongly recommended to have one, but never mandatory.

I agree with the poster who was talking about being as sick as a dog with the flu. It hits me HARD. When I have the flu, I basically lie down in bed and wait to die. (So far, that hasn't happened yet...)

Even though I'm isolated here at home, and not exposed to co-workers, I still do things like use ATM machines and grocery-store shopping carts. I carry antibacterial/flu virus wipes in my car and clean my hands every time I touch anything like that. I also wipe off the car keys, door handle, steering wheel, and my wallet.

The last time I got the flu, I had been really good about using the wipes and washing my hands a lot. But that day I neglected to wash my hands after going to an ATM for cash, and started getting sick about a day and a half later.

Now I gladly get a flu shot every year. It's cheap insurance against a potentially expensive illness.

In-house flu shots - kk

[ In Reply To ..]
The hospital that I used to work for required all employees to get a yearly flu shot, and it was paid for by the facility. Since I always get a flu shot, I thought this was great--it saved me time and money.

we were requested to get one at our hospital but could opt out. nm - NJMT

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I did almost die - travelinmt

[ In Reply To ..]
I ended up in the hospital, admitted through the ER after being sick and going to the doctor. My final trip to the doctor's office he sent me directly to the ER. Not something I ever want to experience again.

My hospital offered the flu shots and brought a shot cart around to each department so you didn't have to leave your desk. It was optional but they encouraged us to get them. I have gotten a flu shot every year since my hospital experience.

but your hospital 'offered' as you say, not demanded right? - subject topic

[ In Reply To ..]
Hospital offered-sm - travelinmt
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes they offered the flu shots it was not demanded that we get them. However, as we know, most of the time if you are working in-house it is in a room that resembles a closet; in fact I have worked in closets and patient exam rooms. I never was one to appreciate my co-workers who came to work sick by and tried to play the hero. What happened 99.9% of the time is they gave it to everyone else and caused much more sick time than they would have if they had just stayed home and not decided to share. So if you are so offended at getting the flu vaccine then please, if you work with me, save your heroics for someone else and don't bring your germs to share with me. It's just as bad as the parents who send their kids to school sick so they don't have to miss work.

It is a whole different senario if you are working at home vs working with other people in close proximity. If you work at home it should be your choice whether or not to have a flu shot.

Yes, "required" in house. - NotherRadMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I am in house in a radiology department. ALL employees are required to either get the flu vaccine OR wear a mask while at work. You can opt out of the shot for religious or health reasons, but then you wear a mask. (I am on Imuran for Crohn's, so I get the flu vaccine every year.) I'm not sure whether our home-based MTs have to document whether they have the shot or not.

"Required" - XXX

[ In Reply To ..]
I would happily wear a mask, but if I were every "required" to get the shot, they would be "required" to speak to my legal counsel.

Clarification on what's required - NotherRadMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Just to clarify what I meant to post, the requirement is that you either get the vaccine OR wear a mask. One of those 2 things. I would absolutely hate to have to wear a mask all through the season. Not sure what I would do about that! Our employer says that when we are seen wearing a mask, or answer questions about why we are wearing them, that's one way we are showing patients that we care about protecting them. Whatever!! I'd still hate it. But I get what they are saying.

Similar Messages:

S/l 3.5 X 15 Pulmi Shots
Jun 16, 2011

He has had angioplasty and stenting twice.  Once in 08/1997; he had a 3.5 x 15 pulmonary shots to his proximal LAD and in 11/2008 he came in and had a 3.0 x 12 and a 3.5 x 8 Cypher to his RCA, 3.0 x 8 and a 3.5 x 23 Cypher to his proximal LAD where it had restenosed. Above is the context - I am editing this and I know the above is not correct, however have not heard of what it sounds like he is saying.  TIA! ...

Screen Shots
May 12, 2012

To take a screen shot: Press CTRL + Screen Shot, go to Microsoft Paint and press CTRL+V, paste it in.  Then save it as a .jpg file. ...

Mandatory Flu Shots
Sep 02, 2012

Just curious . . . how many of you have employers who are making it mandatory to get a flu shot.  I work at home, I'm not in contact with patients.  How can somebody require me to inject something into my body????  The terms - if it is not done by a certain date, we are subject to administrative action, up to and including termination.  Is this really legal???  I would appreciate nice answers, not mean/nasty replys.  Thanks. ...

Linen Shots For Enterotomy
Feb 19, 2013

I am doing an enterotomy surgery, are there linen shots through the bowel? ...

Screen Shots Of Beyond Text
Nov 14, 2013

When you do a screen shot and it saves as a bitmap where does it save to? How can I bring it back up to compare it?  ...

Mmodal's Insurance, UHC, Doesn't Cover DepoProvera Shots.
Jul 03, 2012

What a crock!!  My old insurance covered contraceptives for women.  On UHC's page, it says the new law requires they cover women's contraceptives August 1st.  You'd think they'd do it anyway because birth control is a heck of a lot cheaper than obstetrical care...  Ticks me off. ...

CMT Required Now?
Sep 19, 2011

So, if one is looking for a different MTSO employer, what's the competition like?  Is CMT pretty much a given now?  I mean, do I have to find the funds to pay for that and get the title just to be part of the competition?  NEED ADVISE PLEASE ...

I Wonder Why CCM's Are Not Required To Be MTs??
Jul 23, 2012

Very, very difficulty to listen to her prattle on about the importance of audits and quality when she could not begin to do what I do.  I can take it from the corporate suits who run this company because after all, they are NOT in the business of transcription, they are in the business of technology and we MTs are only in their ways and a very hard to swallow means to an end or at least to India..but I would hope that the person who DIRECTLY supervises me and MY work should know how to perf ...

Transcriptionists With ADD.... I Think Im One Of Them!
Feb 10, 2010

make a living being an MT?  In addition to how low our pay has gotten, and the myriad other problems that we all deal with, if you can't focus, do you think that is cutting into your finances as well? I've always had a suspicion that I have ADD.  Was a totally hyper kid.  Daydreamer in school.  High IQ (148), labelled as "gifted" in 1st Grade, yet with each passing year did less and less well in school.  Looked out the window and zoned out more than I paid att ...

When There Are No More US Transcriptionists...
Aug 19, 2013

M*Modal will call the shots.  No doubt they'll start jacking up prices to the clients then.  That's the way it usually works. Should only take a few more years.  Save a bit now, spend a lot more down the road.  Lol.  Shortsighted fools. ...

No Testing Required
Aug 05, 2010

Does anyone know of any companies that don't require testing to be hired? ...

Job Required Purchases
Aug 28, 2010

I need to buy a medical spell checker and the Quick Look Drug Book.  I'm planning to buy them both from Stedman's.    Does anyone know of a better place to buy the items. Also, should I get the CD Rom, or am I okay with the downloads?   Thanks for any help. ...

Certification Required?
Jan 04, 2011

Do I have to be certified to do medical transcription? Do companies hire without it? ...

Ok, Please Help Me Understand The Required EMR
Jul 14, 2011

I've started trying to understand it.  I see lots of software programs out there that supposedly handle this.  But if there are multiple programs, how does all the various work put into these programs end up in ONE (!?) place where a persons medical record can be accessed by any medical professional?  Or is my understanding already flawed?  Will those MDs, or whoever, that choose to continue the narrative dictation (vs point and click or fill in the blanks) can they con ...

Are You Required To Take Full 8 Hrs PTO For A Day Off?
Jun 08, 2012

s ...

Required Classes
Mar 28, 2013

I am furious. Now, we are required to take classes on our own time without being reimbursed. What nerve. ...

Still Struggling With Required LPH. Sm
Dec 09, 2013

Have been on E5 for a year and unable maintain 186 lph. This is the first time in my 20+ years as an MT that it has been so hard to reach the required lines. Today I forced myself to sit in the chair and moved only to go to the bathroom a couple times, and a 1-minute stretch every hour (timed). Still only managed about 170 lph. The audio is pretty bad on my accounts, but still never had a problem with lines with poor audio at prior jobs. I do tend to double-listen now when there is a hitch in th ...

Required LPH Limits
Apr 28, 2014

Just curious....What are you required LPH for your company in order to maintain benefits?  Full time only please.  Thanks. ...

EMR's , Will This Mean The End Of Transcriptionists Or Is There Something We Can Do To Stay In
Nov 10, 2009

I am curious what the thoughts are about this. Will is be mandatory in a few years that all doctors offices go to EMR? Will this be the end of the medical transcriptionist or is there something we can do now to prepare for the change and still be in this field? ...

Ever Forget How Much Transcriptionists Really Know?? Sm
Feb 25, 2010

I am training someone and I am now reminded how far I have come, how much I have learned, and the things I take for granted and assume others know.   Basic things, just proper English, not even taking into consideration the medical terminology.  Knowing whether a sentence makes sense or not.  We really should be paid better.  But it is nice to feel smart sometimes....and you know anyone who can do this job really does have to be pretty darn intelligent.   Fello ...

SHREVEPORT, LA TRANSCRIPTIONISTS
May 20, 2010

If there are any MT's in the Shreveport/Bossier City, Louisiana area on this board, there are a few local employment agencies, in particular Jean Simpson and Career Adventures that are looking for transcriptionists for positions at physician's offices.  I recently got an in-house position and just want to pass along the news to anyone in this area that may be looking for a position.    ...

Axolotl Transcriptionists
May 26, 2010

I wouIld like to know what your opinion is on M-modal.  Do you like it or not?  Is it helpful to you?  Are you being nit-picked to death about it? ...

This Is Actually The Future For Transcriptionists, Sm
Aug 03, 2010

Go to this website.  Transcriptionists will no longer be needed in the future for transcribing or editing.  One of my friends told me the hospital she retired from is going to this system and their transcription department will eventually no longer exist.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGMEf11GmBo ...

Fellow Transcriptionists . . .
Oct 11, 2011

I am now down to 3 companies (from 4) trying to make a living at this, wondering what I should do next.  I'd like to go get my coding diploma and move on from there as I cannot take this anymore.  Four jobs and between all of them I got $700 last week and am still waiting for checks to arrive.  I asked one of them why it wasn't DD and they said they would cut and mail the check.  Lord knows when the other one will arrive.  I don't know, don't YOU ...

Anyone Know What They Pay The Global Transcriptionists?
Nov 16, 2012

How can they possibly get paid less than us? We get paid peanuts and if it is so lucrative for this company to send stuff offshore just wondering what they pay the indian transcriptionists?  ...

Pathology Transcriptionists Please Help
Mar 13, 2014

I work in the path department and when a malignant case comes up that requires a CAP, I defer to the CAP summary.  The docs dictate "lymphovascular . . ." but the CAP summaries will have "lymph-vascular . . ."   The problem is today I was checking the CAP protocol for the Lung CA and the word was used both ways.  In the actual protocol itself, there was the hyphenated version as a header, i.e., but then in the explanatory notes at the end of the protocol  there' ...

Future Ad For Transcriptionists
Mar 31, 2014

Ok, I am just venting some frustration here   Wanted: Experienced medical transcriptionist, VR experience.  Just for the privilege of doing transcription for us we will only charge you 3 cpl.  You may pay us by direct deposit each Friday.  The personal satisfaction you will receiving from being a part of making our company succeed and be profitable, along with satisfying the facility you are striving to put out perfect reports for should be enough for you, as we are t ...

UPMC Transcriptionists
Jul 28, 2014

I would like to get some information from the UPMC transcriptionists that lost their jobs at UPMC when their jobs were outsourced to Nuance. Please respond via email. I would greatly appreciate your help! Thanks! ...

MModal Transcriptionists
Jan 01, 2015

Curious as to the workload of MModal now.  I reitred almost a year ago after issues with speech recognition versus transcription. ...

Required 4 Weekend Hours?
Mar 09, 2010

I work for the NorthEast section of Medquist and my supervisor wanted to verify all of our hours before we started getting locked-out of working hours other than our scheduled hours. When I emailed my hours to my supervisor, I stated that I wanted to drop my 3 hours I had previously been scheduled on Sunday night since I was having a hard time keeping those hours. Mind you, I already work 9:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. Monday through Friday and 8:30 to 1:00 p.m. on Wednesday. She then wr ...