A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Is paying for a different time zone legal? - PT

Posted: Apr 26, 2015

I work for a transcription company on the west coast.  I have to post my hours in their time zone so I don't quality for a shift differential.  this doesn't seem legal to me. I should be paid for the shift i'm actually working. shouldn't I?!

No, it goes by their hours. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

By no, I meant yes, they can legally do that. - sorry about that

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Sorry, yes it's legal. In in my case, I actually - benefit....I live on the West Coast and

[ In Reply To ..]
work for a company on the East Coast....

I get an eve shift diff and I work during the day only ;)

Seems like the fairer way WOULD be to pay for the hours the employee actually works though.

Similar Messages:

Overtime Because Of The Time Clock Time Zone Change?
Feb 06, 2011

It has been inconvenient, and maybe a bit confusing at times, to check my time card hours for my shift as, because of my time zone, part of my hours show up on the next day because I work 2nd shift. I wonder if I will get overtime for yesterday, even though I did not work overtime. I had to start work several hours early because of maintenance, so all hours were completed before the hour my hours start showing up on the next day. Fine. But the last couple hours of yesterday show up as today, ...

The New MQ Time Clock Time Zone Change
Jan 04, 2011

is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.  Like I'm going to remember 6 months from now to ask for my PTO in CST time when I am in EST time zone.  MQ is the screwiest company I have ever worked for. ...

DQS Maintenance For 24th From 5 To 6:15 Am EST And 10 Am To 11:15 BST??? What Time Zone Is BST?
Oct 20, 2009

I'm in PST (pacific standard).  I was thinking this BST could mean mountain time?  BUT, the time isn't correct, 5 am Eastern time wouldn't be 10 am mountain time...Hmmm.  Let me guess....is BST a time zone in INDIA???? I know, I know, so what's my point.  Sorry, don't have one.  Just sayin....... ...

TTSers, QA Time, How Much Attention Are You Paying
Feb 08, 2013

to the endless QAing is done. Do you read intensely, do you learn much, is it tossed, is it sort of a maze for you to go through? Have worked a lot of years, never seen any company this intense on putting its workers through a wringer. I would say some there have the confidence of a slug with all this baloney. ...

Hair Zone Pillows???
Jun 17, 2011

I swear the doc is saying "hair zone" pillows.  Here is the sentence in its entirety: Patient is on a pressure redistribution surface already, to be turned q.2 h., elevator "hair zone" pillows. It's probably something really simple and I'm going to feel so silly.  ...

S/L Ovid Zone Of Signal Intensity.....sm
Sep 24, 2010

A focus of bone marrow multiple myeloma lesion is not excluded, although the degenerative posttraumatic focus is another possibility.  Finally, there is an S/L ovid zone of signal intensity.  ...

*hemoceftive* Zone Response To Opioids?? Thanks. Nm
Jan 03, 2012

nm ...

Drug S/l Fu-to-ko-zone Two Sprays Each Nostril Daily
Apr 13, 2010

x ...

S/l Zone Of 'Romvea" During An Ortho Surgery
Oct 14, 2013

nm ...

Drug S/l Be-thox-i-med-i-zone 60 Gram Tube, 0.25% Cream
Jan 25, 2011

x ...

Brain Injury Through Zone Of S/l Fatalis In Pons And Midbrain
Nov 12, 2013

Thank you ...

Left Hemipelvectomy Of "zone" Resection Primarily 2 But Also, 3 And 1,
Mar 08, 2011

For chondrosarcoma.  Does the pelvis have zones?  ...

Paying For Course
May 28, 2013

Has anyone found any type of loan to pay for your coding programs at Andrews or Career Step that has lower payments than the school payment plans? I'm not saying their price is unreasonable. I just can't afford the payments or to pay outright.   Thanks, Kat ...

We Will All End Up Paying For Benchmark KB Etc!!!!
Mar 11, 2010

So we are all expecting to get the Benchmark KB etc etc....but did anyone but me notice that it says for 2010? I will bet that that means we will have it free for the remainder of 2010 and then have to pay something to keep it after 2010. ...

SS Paying Early
Jan 21, 2011

Waiting with baited breath for someone to repost all of the SS pays early testimonies.  cracking me up - its always good to laugh uncontrollably. anyone ever read a P&P manual? ignorance is bliss.  ...

Paying To Being An MT - Worth It?
Jul 18, 2011

Hello forum users! I am currently very interested in the MT field.  I am a fast typist, excellent speller, I have a good grasp of grammar, etc.  I am eyeing a course offered online, it seems professional and excellent and all that.  The whole thing seems perfect for me!  I would like to work from home and make my own hours while doing this. However, I recently spoke to a neighbor who is an MT, and she is losing her job to a machine.  She also claims that her MT friend ...

Any Companies Paying 9 Cpl Or Above? Sm
Oct 05, 2011

I've been looking at the job ads and have noticed a trend of very low cpl being offered.  Are there still any companies out there paying 9 or above?  I'm tired of wasting my time testing for companies only to find out during the interview process that they're only willing to pay 7 or 8 cpl.  Thanks! ...

Is The Q Paying Every Other Friday Now?
Dec 27, 2011

It used to be twice a month so I'm wondering if the every other Friday is true?  TIA ...

Is 3-T Paying For Windows 7 Pro?
Oct 16, 2012

I have to pay for it and yet others hired for 3-T say the company is paying for it.  Interesting.... ...

You'd Think They Would Get Tired Of Paying So Much UE
Jan 20, 2013

Wouldn't that give somebody in payroll or human resources a CLUE that there is a problem? ...

Not Paying For Spaces
Feb 04, 2013

I've seen it posted in various threads that companies are not paying for typing spaces. I can't get my head around that. What's their rationale? It's a keystroke, just like any letter or number. ...

Best Paying Jobs
Mar 01, 2014

I have been a working MT since 1989.   I make $400-500 a week.   I work approximately 6 hours  a day for this.    Is this an accurate pay?    I would like to hear from other MTs and what are the best paying companies to work for.    ...

Paying Taxes As An IC?
Feb 24, 2015

I recently started working as an independent contractor for a transcription company and understand that I have to take care of the tax side of it myself. I'm new to this and am not sure what I need to do as far as paying taxes go. Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! ...

Is It Legal
Mar 19, 2010

So I was having lunch with an ex-transcriptionist (got out when the getting was good) and I told her about the docking of 0.03 as of May 1 if we hit 5% QA submission.  She brought up a good point.  Is this even Legal????  If this is done then I am assuming MANY out there will be working BELOW minimum wage.  This can't be done can it?  Doesn't the Q have to pay you at LEAST minimum wage?  I try to maintain 1800+ lines a day and if I lose 0.03 and do the mat ...

Is It Legal To
Jul 26, 2010

work 6 days a week, even though it adds up to 40 hours a week?  Our supervisor is trying to force us to work 2 hours every Friday night.  This means only one full day off.  I have had to get another part-time job on call Friday and Saturday (under the table) to supplement the lost income with MQ and so can't work her mandated hours.  Is it even legal to demand that?  ...

How Is It Legal?
Dec 23, 2013

Is it really legal for Nuance to make us work a holiday, then we don't get paid for it because there are no reports, and then they expect us to work overtime another day to make up for the holiday we worked on that we were never paid for?! Did I get that right?  Has anyone here called the Labor Department?  I'm curious. I will not work overtime after missing Christmas with my family (for zero pay), in order to accomdate their poor scheduling.  I'm upset that ...

Is This Legal?
Aug 20, 2014

I missed 3 days and 3 hours of work due to computer crashing. It took all this time to purchase a new computer, get windows 8 out and windows 7 in, fix whatever for windows update to work and now I'm told I have to use PTO or MUP this week. Seriously? Well, I can't work 14 hours a day so I guess I get screwed out of my measly PTO. How is this legal? Why not just pay me for what I do this week???? ...

Is This Legal???
Apr 01, 2015

I am not able to keep track of my percentage to QC. How would I know if I am nearing the 10%? ...

Paying Taxes, I'm Freakin Out
Feb 24, 2010

I am about to do my taxes for 2009.  I had a bunch of money saved up to pay them, but I fell on hard times (little to no typing jobs) and had to use that money to pay bills.  What is going to happen?  I made 11,000 last year.  How much can I expect to owe?  What if I don't have the money????? ...

FUTURENET TECH NOT PAYING
Jan 28, 2011

Did anyone else get the run around from the accounting department at FutureNet Tech today?   They normally pay every other Friday but when no deposit showed up and I inquired, the accounting department first said it would be a little later that normal then when pressed further for exactly when should I expect the pay I have been promised (promised to be paid today!) I was told it would be available tomorrow.   This is not a good sign and while I would rather like to believe t ...