A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Have any of you had to fill out an I-9 - employment verification form

Posted: Oct 30, 2014

in order to be hired.  I tried to do this, taking it to a notary, who refused to sign it, saying they "don't do that."  So now I may not be able to get the job because the company requires this.  What have any of you done?  I went to a notary at AAA...maybe I should try a different one?  Ugh.....

No problem - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
My local bank where I have an account did this for me, no charge. I think I needed a photo ID and social security card, too. Just look for a notary until you find one. I think the UPS place has notary. Also, local community action or schools usually have notaries.

UPS notary and AAA notary refused to do it.... - the problem wasnt finding

[ In Reply To ..]
a notary, it's finding one who will do it. It's very confusing for them apparently.....
But I like the idea of using my bank. I do have a credit union--I'll try them tomorrow. Thanks for the idea!

If your HR dept didn't provide a sample I9, I think there is one online SM - anonagain

[ In Reply To ..]
there is one online that shows where they need to fill in the information. My credit union had no problem after I showed them the sample form. I have done this several times over the past couple of years as I changed jobs. Some tellers are used to them and some not. Good luck!

Please read... This should help. - Cluny

[ In Reply To ..]
I live in California and had to go through with this 3 yrs ago. It was a bit of a nightmare because none of the notaries would explain why they wouldn't process it, just that they couldn't or weren't allowed to. I ended up at one of those We The People offices run by legal assistants and finally a solution.

The following pertains to California but I bet you can find something similar in your state. The notary had me fill out a California All-Purpose Certificate of Acknowledgement for each of the 2 forms of ID requested. I called Nuance HR before doing this and they confirmed that that would be acceptable in lieu of the I-9.

Here's my beef. HR knows that many of us are going to have this difficulty. Why not tell us of this alternative in advance??
To Cluny...... - Please read....
[ In Reply To ..]
I am in CA too. And this is for Nuance. It IS a nightmare. And one of the notaries did give me one of the All-Purpose forms, faxed it to HR, and the HR woman told me it wasn't good enough--that they needed page 8 section 2 filled out. The HR person acted like she was surprised I was having so much trouble finding a notary to do this and that it was MANDATORY to have on file.

I don't know why you were told it was acceptable and now they are saying it's not. I guess this is only a hint as to what's to come with this company.....I guess I should have known. But I'm desperate, need a job, and now they will NOT hire me unless I get that I-9 filled out.

I found a mobile company called n3notary that specializes in doing I-9s but they charge 85 bux. Just great. What do you think the chances are they Nuance will pay that for me....LOL! Slim to absolutely NOT.

Well, thanks for your reply....I guess all I can do is call HR again tomorrow.

That's confusing... - Mary

[ In Reply To ..]
I was a notary a long time ago, and the only thing we had to notarize (at least back then), was that a person's signature was truly theirs. In other words, we had them sign whatever document it was right in front of us, then notarized the signature. We didn' have anything to do with the document itself. I wonder if that has changed.
The reason the notary at my CU wouldn't - sign
[ In Reply To ..]
was because there was no place for her to sign as a notary. The signature line was labeled "employer or other responsible party" and she did not want to sign there as she was not the employer and did not feel like she wanted to be the responsible party. She signed next to my name and labeled herself as notary and Nuance would not accept it. They said the notary needed to sign on the line for employer or responsible party and three different notaries I went to would not do it. It was such a hassle to get anyone to sign the thing. I finally had to pay a private notary to do it.
What I ended up doing..... - I just had a friend
[ In Reply To ..]
act as my "representative" as suggested by HR at Nuance. This is after I schlepped around looking for a notary who would sign it and not succeeding. I have a feeling HR will still tell me it's not acceptable. If they wanted, Nuance could make it easier on new hires by using an I-9 service but they don't want to have to pay for this--they want to put it all on the new hires.
I thought the same thing, Mary - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I thought a notary guaranteed that the signator was the person in front of them, who provided at least a picture ID. The content/accuracy/intent of the document wasn't his/her concern, only the validity of the signature. That's why you wait to sign the document until the notary could watch you. I've been required to provide an I-9 for jobs for years now and never had a problem. My bank did it for free (and even though they know me by face and name, they still required my driver's license).

try your bank or public library. I used my credit union and it was free. NM - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

I9 Form - anon

[ In Reply To ..]

I just went through this same thing last week, I live in CA and here it's considered an immigration form and no notary will do it. I was told to contact an immigration consultant. After contacting several immigration consultants who didn't know what I was talking about I contacted my employer and they said I could have someone who wasn't related to me sign it. 

I9 in CA - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I went through this too, and my notary actually called the statewide person/office, who told her that if she notarized an I9 she would no longer be allowed to be a notary!! So of course they won't! Like the person above, we found a round about solution, acceptable to Nuance. She notarized that she had seen my forms of identification (DL and SS). Yes, HR at Nuance knows how horrible this can be. I spent close to a week and was about to give up and quit the job (wish I had now!!)

I had that problem - Two places here

[ In Reply To ..]
in Florida, one was UPS, which you said would not do for you, the other was a Pac-N-Send. Good Luck.

I-9's have been required since 1986 - Remote employees

[ In Reply To ..]
Most people are hired through a local office and the HR department completes this. The last in-office job I had, the HR person was a notary and so I never really was aware that this was being done.

When I started working as a remote employee is when I because aware because we had to be our own surrogate HR and find a notary. Notaries are not familiar either, but my bank was happy to perform the duty free of charge.

Similar Messages:

Be Sure To Fill Out
Sep 22, 2011

They made a point of saying they can't pay us for doing it.  Golly, we couldn't expect them to do that! They need every penny to gobble up more companies and for suit bonuses! ...

DON'T FILL IT IN!
Apr 10, 2015

Okay, dictator is terrible.  Had to send to QC.  Please tell me how QC can fill in the blanks.  NO WAY.  I have been doing transcription for a long time.  Why can they guess at what is said and we can't.  If it isn't 100% clear, it should be left blank.  QC shouldn't be able to fill in what the doctor "usually" says.  If you can't hear it, DON'T FILL IT IN.  Maybe if they got all of their reports back they would try to do a be ...

Fill Out S/l Vanderbelt?
Aug 31, 2010

The parents also wanted to discuss his hyperactivity. I told them to fill out a s/l (vanderbelt) and I would re-evaluate  ...

So, How Do You Fill Out Timesheet When ....
Dec 24, 2014

I am taking PTO for Christmas and the day after.  I have worked Mon and Tues of this week with no real problem and have gotten in my hours.  Of course, because I have a cheesecake and other things to make later today, I get on this morning and there is NO work at all.  I wil try to get in my 8 hours for today, but what if it just isn't there?  I have no PTO time to use for today and I am NOT working tomorrow or Friday!!  So, my week will be 8 hours short o ...

Another Confusing Fill-in By MME..........hematocrit Of 340???
Oct 21, 2009

Someone please set me straight if I'm wrong, but it is even possible for a child (or anyone) in any case to have a hematocrit of 340?  A dictator said:  "hemoglobin 15, hematocrit 340"  It really sounded like he said 340 but that didn't sound right to me, so I left a marker.  But it was filled in with 340.  I could have done THAT.   I guess I could be wrong--but in my 10 years as an MT the hematocrit is always just about 3 times the hemoglobin (which ...

Google Auto-fill
Jun 03, 2010

My Google auto-fill has suddenly stopped working.  It's making me nuts.  Anyone know how to fix it? ...

Why Should We Fill Out No Work Tickets Now?
Aug 15, 2013

Perusing the latest TSM diatribe too many work tickets means we need to change our schedule to one more fitting the needs of the accounts. Also if we fill out a work ticket we are not allowed to finish our current shift, we are done for the day. If we choose to make up those hours it has to be from a list of available shifts. So for the 50 cents or so I would get from filling out a work ticket why would I purposefully put a target on my back regarding schedule changes, end my shift prematurely ...

I'm Starting To Fill Out Job Applications
Nov 02, 2014

Good-by Nuance within the month.  Not even sure I want to hang around for the "exciting" changes.  ...

Fill In The Gaps Games
Jun 12, 2015

Well here we go again, fill in the gaps games in our POD.  Nope, no way, and if they change my schedule one more time to any later in the day, I'm gone.  Done playing their games.  Hire more people, stop demanding mandatory OT, and give actual bonuses and this would not be a problem.  P.S. Don't expect me to cover other "groupings" gaps.  I already work the weekend and late Friday night (still working), only have 1 full day off a week.  No threats to "chan ...

How Do You Fill Out An Application For DTS (digital Transcription Services)
Jun 14, 2011

How do you fill out an application for Digital Transcription Services? I've been over their website and only found career opportunities but nothing about the application. ...

YOU Went To Medical School, I Didnt Fill In My Blanks I Leave
Mar 11, 2012

Cant believe the crap they are dictating today..Must be the solar flare.  they make up drug names that could be one of maybe 3 possibilities..Im pretty sure I know which they need but Im not the DOCTOR,,I just play one on the computer..Im leaving the blanks let them figure it out..Do your jobs correctly for a change..Kind of makes you scared to ever have to go to a hospital for anything. ...

Re: TransTech ApplicationOn My TransTech Application Should I Fill In Favorite Work Types & Fav
Jan 11, 2011

On my Trans Tech application should I fill in favorite work types and favorite specialities or leave blank or put any? ...

"please Remember To Fill In The Date Of Service"
Apr 29, 2010

well, the cp says to leave blank if not dictated, so put that in your pipe and smoke it...I know, it's the little things that make me crazy.  ...

Foot Orthosis S/L "Pe-Fill Poron"--SM
Jan 24, 2011

but can't be sure.  Entire sentence is:   I have fitted multidenisty FOs, (S/L "Pe-Fill Poron"), Pe Lite and Nickelplast base and trimmmed to fit existing New Balance walking shoes with additional relief to the second metatarsal head" Any ideas? ...