A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

From the discussion about automation below - just some thoughts - ExAx

Posted: Jan 20, 2015

can't remember who's quote this is, but I read it in my teens, and he was an American Indian looking to the future (even back then) and he was wondering how "man is going to survive his own insignificance." now it makes even more sense to me...

am a fan of Isaac Asimov and his science fiction novels (he actually was a professor of biochemistry) and especially the robot series - he wrote these futuristic type mysteries all involving robots and they give such a good description of what like probably will be like in the not-so-distant future now.  atmostphere becomes so bad people live iunder bubbles on the surface of the earth in sky-rises, and robots do all manual labor outside (mainly for food).  tokens were used rather than money, and no one physically touched anyone else. they used gloves for everything. 

his robot laws are actually used in modern robotics:

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

2. A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

...oh and holograms (which I think are the next big thing for our time).

amazing stuff, but he wrote in terms anyone can understand, never over-the-top. all with the robotic, modern world backdrop...fascinating. but to see some of it come about now is incredible.

am not on the clock today, so if my typing offends anyone, well, I respectfully say "too bad" :)    (had a complaint on Nuance board)

discussion about automation - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
Since you are a fan of Isaac Asimov, have you read "2030" by Albert Brooks? You may be familiar with him as an actor and director, but he's also a brilliant writer. I wouldn't classify this book as science fiction because the facts in it hit too close to home. Example: Almost all surgeries are done robotically with only a nurse in the operating room, the surgery itself being performed remotely by a surgeon in Asia. A cure for most cancers has been found and people are living so much longer, there's no place left to build enough facilities to house all of them, so they use refurbished cruise ships as nursing homes and independent care facilities and the elderly spend all their time aimlessly circling the globe. That's just the tip of the iceberg (no pun intended). I won't even tell you about China, except all the signs are already here and what happens in the book is totally plausible.

discussion... - cr

[ In Reply To ..]
That sounds interesting! I think I'll check it out.

Definitely need to check it out! - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

Important Video About Automation
Aug 17, 2014

ALL jobs that can be automated, are.   Not addressed in the film was the costs of making and maintaining these robots.  Also not mentioned was the fate of unwanted and unneeded horses..../people. ...

Economist Mag Article About Automation Of 47% Of Jobs
Jan 20, 2014

"47% of all jobs to be automated by 2034 and 'no government is prepared' says economist"   http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/01/17/rise-of-the-machines-economist_n_4616931.html ...

Along The Same Vein As The QA Discussion Below, Here's An Example Of An
Sep 03, 2011

unnecessary blank.  This is before I ever even start to listen to the report... In the medication list: _____ 0.4 mg sublingually p.r.n. chest pain. NOW, I don't care how badly the dictator butchered the word, it is OBVIOUS what this blank should be even WITHOUT listening to the dictation.  Any MT worth a dime, would be able to deduce what the doctor was saying.  There is more to this job than simply typing what you hear!  ...

The Discussion Over Potassium Value Of 216.
May 08, 2012

Although my view on this issue is that, yes, a seasoned transcriptionist should recognize that 216 was not the proper value (and I can see QA flagging that as a serious error), the point I'd like to make is that this is the crazy problem with MTSOs thinking that ASR can replace the human, experienced transcriptionist. Without an MT's knowledge that "this value" or "that dosage" doesn't make sense, this is exactly the type of error that ASR will continue to crank out.  The qu ...

Boostaroo: Re A Small Discussion About
Sep 11, 2010

This is mentioned as a great product to increase the volume on voice files.  I went to Radio Shack and checked it out.  The picture shows what looks like a very short cord.  Could someone explain how this works?  I currently have to plug my headset directly into the front of my computer because there was no sound when I plugged them into my speakers.  Would I plug the Boostaroo into the computer?  Does the headset then plug into the Boostaroo?  Also, in the pic ...

There Is A Fantastic Discussion About Nuance Going On Over On The
Aug 03, 2014

It is information that I wish had been shared here instead. See tabs at left, Company Board. Start with a line that says Max frustration... Very good hard data, not just you and me moaning!   ...

What Other Discussion Boards Are There For Coders?
Mar 10, 2015

I've found a few but they all have very old posts of them.  I alraedy know about the AAPC boards of course.   Thank you. ...

Okay, Need Info After An Extended And Heated Discussion With QA ....
Mar 28, 2011

Should a speciality such as neurology, orthopedics, etc., be capitalized in a sentence?  Example would be ... No neurology consult has been ordered.   I am receiving conflicting information from QA.   TIA ...

Is There A Coder Discussion Board Besides The One On MTStars?
Dec 29, 2011

Perhaps another website coder discussion board would help an MT decide what avenue to explore.... ...

I'm Ignorant About IPads Etc - Open Discussion
Jan 10, 2013

I confess to being totally ignorant about technology newer than laptops (okay, so my age is showing ....) In the past when travelling and working I have always taken my laptop with me, but it seems so cumbersome compared to what others seem to be using. However when I have looked at smaller options I am not sure that they would handle all the attachments that go with this job (I use external keyboard and mouse for my fat fingers), headphones, foot pedal etc and I am not sure they would allow m ...

We Had A Discussion Earlier About Unpaid Work
Jun 07, 2015

And I was told that they "give" you extra in each report. I had a no dictation report and the line count is 0.02 of a line. Is that what you deem satisfactory for the unpaid work we do? ...

Why Do Topics Disappear? Looking For Discussion From A Day Or So Ago About Webmedx/MTEC
Mar 12, 2010

There was a discussion started a couple days ago discussing MTEC and the relationship with Webmedx that was interesting, and I can not find it anywhere. Any ideas where it went off to, and if it disappeared, why?!? Thanks!! ...

There Was A Discussion On The Company Board About Tax Deducions And I'm Curious. Sm
Feb 03, 2013

Their discussion got a little heated and I'm not interested in that, but I have been an IC the last couple of years and I have never had enough deductions to itemize -- is that unusual? I am single, no dependents, my office portion of my apartment is only about 10%, so that means only about $100/month for rent/utilities/internet, so still way below the standard deduction. Am I missing something? TIA. ...

Concerning The Discussion A Few Days Ago About Which Heading Gait Testing Goes Under.
Jun 27, 2015

Gait testing is part of the neurological examination and should therefore go under that heading.  From my perspective, healthcare document integrity should hold sway over account specs or doctor preferences.  Too many doctors think all that matters is what they say or how they interpret what is said, which is total bunk.  If that were true, we would all just start typing melanotic stools every time one of these medical geniuses dictates that because certainly there isn't a do ...

Getting A 2nd MT Job - Thoughts?
Mar 25, 2010

I graduated from school last year and have worked as an IC with a company for 3 months.  I was told I'd be the sole MT on one small Ortho account, but now I know I was lied to.  Other MTs grab everything out of the queue and I'm lucky if I make $23/day, many days I get 0 jobs.  The office manager is so clueless that she is entirely unhelpful, and after several attempts I've given up trying to get the work I was promised when hired. I need the money so I can't ...

Any Thoughts?
Sep 09, 2010

I have been researching all the online MT Courses and have decided that the 2 I seem to think are the most reputable are TRSInstitute and Career Step. Any input from anyone on any schools? Or should I even be considering this field right now? I have read alot of discouraging posts. TRSI includes Speech recognition in its course, unlike alot of the other shcools. Thanks! ...

What Are Your Thoughts On
Oct 28, 2010

One of the posts below mentioned something happening in the next two months or by the end of the year (can't find the post now).  Also, I recall some administrative e-mail alluding to the same, the e-mail about how CBay is poised to take over more Medquist assets.  Is something going to happen to us that we should know about? ...

What Are Your Thoughts On This?
Apr 27, 2011

I think that when we edit an ASR document, we should be compensated at our transcription rate for every keystroke we do to make the report ready for the client.  Since Medquist is so accurately able to calculate our keystrokes, mouse clicks and so on, it should be easy for them to determine how many extra keystrokes were required to prepare the final report.  ...

Some Thoughts For Those Considering MT
May 01, 2011

Several people have asked me if I think MT is still a viable career.  Coincidentally, today as I was cleaning out some files, I found notes from a seminar I gave and thought I would summarize a few of the thoughts, hoping they might be of value to someone out there.  (Moderator, if you don't feel this is appropriate, please just delete the post.)  First, there are three "myths" to consider:  1.  The myth that medical transcription is easy money.  Many of the no ...

Any Thoughts On MD-IT
Jun 09, 2011

Anyone have experience with MD-IT? TIA. ...

What Are MTs Thoughts On This? Sm
Sep 10, 2011

If Obama's job act goes through and employers are rewarded for hiring the unemployed, do you think that will make a difference to the companies that off shore and cause the hiring of more US MTs? ...

DQS 7.1, Need Some Serious Thoughts
Oct 22, 2012

On DQS 7.1 I keep hearing how the SR is so much better.  What the heck?  I haven't a clue why anyone thinks this, but I have a trusted friend who agrees her SR has improved dramatically.  My accounts have dropped dramatically in the SR, which leads me to believe that this is potentially due to something my CCM might not have done correctly with our accounts.  We've never had gender discrepancy noted, although this is supposed to happen.  We've never had cl ...

Thoughts On The
Jun 03, 2013

Why not just make it 100% and  get it over with? I guess they figure it's kind of like killing frogs in boiling water.   ...

Any Thoughts
Dec 04, 2013

I typed as doctor dictated, ". . . pee off . . . " Audit dinged me and changed to, "urinated off." What should have been done?  I thought we were not to change what they said. ...

Some Thoughts On
May 20, 2014

Today I was just wondering if the honorees of other appreciation weeks (nurses, lab techs, housekeepers, basically every health-care subgroup) were required to participate in puzzles, games, essays, and otherwise jump through hoops, to get "prizes",  usually a trinket or a low denomination gift card? Maybe I'm just sensitive because I've been doing this long enough to remember when gifts, festive meals, respect and  all-year-long good pay (the best gift of all) were freely gi ...

Thoughts, Anyone?
Jun 21, 2014

Any Thoughts On This...
Jun 28, 2014

Do you guys think the minimum line count will be going up soon? Some states have raised their minimum wage. Trying to figure out how some of us would be able to hold on if it were to go up any higher than 150/hr. Barely able to meet that as it is. Just don't think makeup pay is something they're very happy about having to provide either. So wondering if this will be the end of the line for those of us not meeting production, though not for lack of hard effort. ...

Thoughts On VR-
Jul 06, 2014

of fixing report after report.  VR was sold with fradulant representation. The way this has continued is the MT is to "fix" these reports to the facilities specs and regardless of what comes over, the end report is to be correct.  Therefore, we are made to be our own worst enemy.  I have been saving reports before/after for quite some time and keeping stats on how many incorrect VR words I have to correct, how much formatting I have to do per the specs of the facility, t ...

My Thoughts
Dec 04, 2014

Why don't they just pay the MTs a decent wage instead of paying all the extra QA people for all the extra audits? This is a convoluted mess - transparent to who? Einstein? They need a standard blank submission policy. It is not fair to MLS like me who are not allowed to send any blanks versus those who can send up to 3 directly to the client. My pay will be dramatically impacted. Where is the difficulty factor? They have lied yet again. They really shot themselves in the ...

Softscript: Any Thoughts? NM
Apr 23, 2010

Just wondering. ...