A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

The discussion over potassium value of 216. - Cammie

Posted: May 08, 2012

Although my view on this issue is that, yes, a seasoned transcriptionist should recognize that 216 was not the proper value (and I can see QA flagging that as a serious error), the point I'd like to make is that this is the crazy problem with MTSOs thinking that ASR can replace the human, experienced transcriptionist.

Without an MT's knowledge that "this value" or "that dosage" doesn't make sense, this is exactly the type of error that ASR will continue to crank out.  The question is: How much do the MTSOs feel that knowledge is worth?  Apparently, 4 cents per line.  Well, you get what you pay for!    

I don't see how they could ever completely elminate the need for editors; and yet, expecting those editors to have the training and knowledge to catch errors like this while paying them what could be as low as minimum wage reveals a total lack of fairness and common sense.  

When working as an MT, I tried to constantly process what was being said (rather than just mechanically matching the words I saw with what I heard) and catch every discrepancy and error in what the doctors were dictating; but in order to do that, even with 18 years of experience, there was no way I could do it fast enough to make the hourly wage that that effort was worth.  

My QA scores were consistently 99.5% to 100%, but I couldn't earn a fair wage by keeping up that kind of quality.  This is one of the reasons I got out of this business, and they lost an excellent transcriptionist when I did, if I may say so myself!  (LOL)  No one goes to the grocery store and expects to pay hamburger prices for filet mignon, and yet that's what the MTSO seem to be expecting.  

Amen to that. - I agree

[ In Reply To ..]
To me, for some reason, better control the quality of my reports if MY fingers do it. I almost trust them more than my eyes.

I am not opposed to VR at all. In fact, its purpose would be very profitable to all if it were used properly. If I made 4 cpl for VR, there should be very, very little correction needed, most of which should be punctuation. You could actually make a good living if that were the case. The problem comes in when MTSOs have a typing platform for 8 cpl and a VR platform for 4 cpl. Where do you think they are going to put the majority of the dictation? Yes, VR. It's called greed and poor work ethic. This OP was correct, my fingers typing would have caught that 2.16 error, where my eyes may not have.

The purpose of VR was to bring out jobs back home to the U.S. and remain competitive, not for the MTSOs to sacrifice the quality of medical reports to increase their profits. If the platforms and technology do not improve substantially, and this profession is made profitable again for MTs, I believe this will catch up to them one day, and YOU will see more and more MTs going back in-house (unfortunately, I will have died of old age and natural causes by then).

The purpose of VR was to bring our jobs back home to the U.S ? - oldtimer

[ In Reply To ..]
I disagree. The purpose of VR was to make it easier for inexperienced US and overseas ESL transcriptionists to complete a verbatim report thereby saving lots of money. In the beginning, the VR software companies superinflated what their program could do and the MTSOs saw dollar signs, no more need for years of experience/medical knowledge. The way it worked out is not pretty.

I am retired now but wish I weren't. I loved my job because my brain was always engaged and I was not a robot just listening and typing.

There by saving lots of money. True - but at the same time

[ In Reply To ..]
Most politicians were embarrassed by the fact that no one even knew how many jobs were be sent off-shore, including all industries, because no one kept track, it was legal, and most companies would not fess up to what the real number was.

Once they started discussing closing the tax loop-holes for off-shoring, the MTSOs had to DO SOMETHING. If there was a stop put to off-shoring, and one day I hope there is by it not being profitable to do so, many MTSOs would go belly up. In their scrambling effort to be prepared for that, VOICE RECOGNITION, the technology still not perfected, and them misusing its intended purpose.
Interesting, but basically VR's time HAD come. Buyers - wanted the product, sellers had it. SM
[ In Reply To ..]
It would have happened even if there was no such thing as offshoring.

BTW, did you know that when the first cars were on the road at least one city required drivers to have someone walk ahead of them waving a flag as they drove through town? :)!

Agree 100%. In addition, the company I work for will deduct - shortcake

[ In Reply To ..]
your pay for reports of 5% sent to QA, which I think is about as unfair as you can get. I keep track and almost all of my QA submissions (which I do go over 5%) are due to doc errors, ommissions, descrepancies, poor audio, etc. I just had an audit recently and although I passed with above 99%, I did get marked down for entering something that I remember the doc clearly said but QA took it out and left a blank, go figure. I wonder if that put me over 5% again, hmmmmm.

You are so right...nm - blondie

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

The level of errors we're expected to catch, tho, is strictly - kindergarten, maybe preschool. Left versus right,

[ In Reply To ..]
normal electrolyte ranges, typical dosage for hydrochlorothiazide.

Doctors do make mistakes way too often, prescribing the wrong drugs together, giving the wrong value for less-common tests, etc., but in all these years I have never been expected to recognize anything outside a tiny set of basic data that we all see used constantly. It's really not much to ask of us.

BTW, I agree that's a good thing these days because I have to push so hard for speed, to keep my paycheck sufficient to pay our bills, that any but the absolutely most superficial attention to what's actually being said is impossible.

Absolutely ridiculous yet again. Why bring this back up - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
other than to stir the pot! You know what you are???

how did you get called on 216 KCl if you - got out of the business?

[ In Reply To ..]
Judge Judy always says if it doesn't make sense, it is not the truth.

Just to clarify.... - Cammie

[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry; I'm not trying to stir any pots and really didn't mean to bring something back up that is a sore spot for anyone. I was referring to that previous discussion only because it points out the kind of errors that ASR makes plenty of and how easy it would be for something like that to slip through when trying to speed along (in order to make adequate pay) or when the MTSOs hire inexperienced MTs who might not realize that's way off. I really wasn't trying to make anyone mad!

By the way, I'm not the one who said I got called on the potassium value of 216 (I thought she said it was potassium, not potassium chloride)....was referring to a previous thread, so there's no need for Judge Judy to get involved. :-)

Oh, one more clarification... - Cammie

[ In Reply To ..]
If anyone is even still reading this thread, I forgot to add that I guess the point I was just trying to make with my OP was that this is the kind of thing that happens when MTSOs expect filet mignon but only want to pay the hamburger price. That's not happening at my butcher shop! :-D
further clarification - got out of the business?
[ In Reply To ..]
You got out of the business, yet here you are acting like you know something important and we should listen to what you have to say.

Here's an analogy for ya.

I know a woman who was in an abusive relationship. She moved away from him, but not so far away she couldn't show up on his door for booty calls. He abused her some more, even making a copy of her new door key to go over and take her stuff when she was not home. They were both in need of serious help, they knew, but neither wanted that help.

so now I wonder if MTStars is your booty call when you're lonely and why you don't make the choice to get healthy?

Similar Messages:

Potassium Or K
Nov 24, 2010

The doc (ESL) says ".....her K was 3.3.  Also later mentions "K supplement".  Should I transcribe as is?  Cannot find reference on Do Not Use list.  Thanks ...

Treatment For Potassium Elevation
Sep 12, 2012

The pt has elevated potassium.   Being treated in ER with calcium chloride, B-51, Kayexalate and 1/3 liter of "Chris............. something.   TIA ...

K Versus Potassium In Report
Feb 04, 2013

When a physician dictates, "The patient was put on K supplements", or "The patient's K was", should these be expanded to potassium? Thanks. ...

S/l C-NUT Shows A Sodium Of 143, Potassium 3.5, Chloride 107, Etc.
Apr 23, 2013

. ...

Dictators Give The Labs With The Values First - Like 147 Sodium, 4.2 Potassium
Aug 18, 2011

Don't you hate it when dictators give the labs with the values first - like 147 sodium, 4.2 potassum, etc and then switch it part way through back to glucose 110 - that gets me so screwed up. ...

Along The Same Vein As The QA Discussion Below, Here's An Example Of An
Sep 03, 2011

unnecessary blank.  This is before I ever even start to listen to the report... In the medication list: _____ 0.4 mg sublingually p.r.n. chest pain. NOW, I don't care how badly the dictator butchered the word, it is OBVIOUS what this blank should be even WITHOUT listening to the dictation.  Any MT worth a dime, would be able to deduce what the doctor was saying.  There is more to this job than simply typing what you hear!  ...

Boostaroo: Re A Small Discussion About
Sep 11, 2010

This is mentioned as a great product to increase the volume on voice files.  I went to Radio Shack and checked it out.  The picture shows what looks like a very short cord.  Could someone explain how this works?  I currently have to plug my headset directly into the front of my computer because there was no sound when I plugged them into my speakers.  Would I plug the Boostaroo into the computer?  Does the headset then plug into the Boostaroo?  Also, in the pic ...

There Is A Fantastic Discussion About Nuance Going On Over On The
Aug 03, 2014

It is information that I wish had been shared here instead. See tabs at left, Company Board. Start with a line that says Max frustration... Very good hard data, not just you and me moaning!   ...

From The Discussion About Automation Below - Just Some Thoughts
Jan 20, 2015

can't remember who's quote this is, but I read it in my teens, and he was an American Indian looking to the future (even back then) and he was wondering how "man is going to survive his own insignificance." now it makes even more sense to me... am a fan of Isaac Asimov and his science fiction novels (he actually was a professor of biochemistry) and especially the robot series - he wrote these futuristic type mysteries all involving robots and they give such a good description of what ...

What Other Discussion Boards Are There For Coders?
Mar 10, 2015

I've found a few but they all have very old posts of them.  I alraedy know about the AAPC boards of course.   Thank you. ...

Okay, Need Info After An Extended And Heated Discussion With QA ....
Mar 28, 2011

Should a speciality such as neurology, orthopedics, etc., be capitalized in a sentence?  Example would be ... No neurology consult has been ordered.   I am receiving conflicting information from QA.   TIA ...

Is There A Coder Discussion Board Besides The One On MTStars?
Dec 29, 2011

Perhaps another website coder discussion board would help an MT decide what avenue to explore.... ...

I'm Ignorant About IPads Etc - Open Discussion
Jan 10, 2013

I confess to being totally ignorant about technology newer than laptops (okay, so my age is showing ....) In the past when travelling and working I have always taken my laptop with me, but it seems so cumbersome compared to what others seem to be using. However when I have looked at smaller options I am not sure that they would handle all the attachments that go with this job (I use external keyboard and mouse for my fat fingers), headphones, foot pedal etc and I am not sure they would allow m ...

We Had A Discussion Earlier About Unpaid Work
Jun 07, 2015

And I was told that they "give" you extra in each report. I had a no dictation report and the line count is 0.02 of a line. Is that what you deem satisfactory for the unpaid work we do? ...

Why Do Topics Disappear? Looking For Discussion From A Day Or So Ago About Webmedx/MTEC
Mar 12, 2010

There was a discussion started a couple days ago discussing MTEC and the relationship with Webmedx that was interesting, and I can not find it anywhere. Any ideas where it went off to, and if it disappeared, why?!? Thanks!! ...

There Was A Discussion On The Company Board About Tax Deducions And I'm Curious. Sm
Feb 03, 2013

Their discussion got a little heated and I'm not interested in that, but I have been an IC the last couple of years and I have never had enough deductions to itemize -- is that unusual? I am single, no dependents, my office portion of my apartment is only about 10%, so that means only about $100/month for rent/utilities/internet, so still way below the standard deduction. Am I missing something? TIA. ...

Concerning The Discussion A Few Days Ago About Which Heading Gait Testing Goes Under.
Jun 27, 2015

Gait testing is part of the neurological examination and should therefore go under that heading.  From my perspective, healthcare document integrity should hold sway over account specs or doctor preferences.  Too many doctors think all that matters is what they say or how they interpret what is said, which is total bunk.  If that were true, we would all just start typing melanotic stools every time one of these medical geniuses dictates that because certainly there isn't a do ...

Should I Expand "K" To Potassium
Jul 13, 2011

The physician dictated "K supplement" and "Patient's K on test is 3.1". Should I expand "K" to potassium or transcribe verbatim? Thank you! ...

"K" For Potassium?
Oct 26, 2011

Is it appropriate to leave "K" (as dictated) in the report? For instance, "She was treated with K supplement." Also, "Her K was 4.5 on admission but has come down to 3.2 by discharge." I don't see anything in my Company's account specifics about this, and I am not sure what is proper. ...