A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

5 cents a line with templates - is this a good rate?

Posted: Jun 20, 2012

I'm wondering if 5 cents a line with 40% templates is a decent pay rate.  This is all straight typing, no VR.  Anybody else in this situation?   I need to make a decision.  Thanks for any info!Money mouth

PAY RATE 5 cents - Debo

[ In Reply To ..]
I would love to have this rate. What company is it and do they need more help ;) TXS

NO! - are ya kidding

[ In Reply To ..]
Anyone who accepts 5 cpl to straight type (I donĂ¢€™t care how many templates they tout) is just crazy. It hurts ALL of us when ONE person accepts this kind of rate!

Problem is, someone always takes it. I be the company gets paid much more - than that 5 cpl. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Of course it's not a good rate - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
It is slave wages, and the MTSO should be ashamed of him or herself.

Yes, great pay - just me

[ In Reply To ..]
That is really good. I was only getting 1.5 cpl... I would at least check it out and give it a chance.

Just Me - You typed for 1.5 cpl? Really.....? - Gotta get out of this biz. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

yes, got that raised up though eventually - just me

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes.... demanded a raise and got it... eventually...

Templates--before you start, ask the following - just me

[ In Reply To ..]
Will the templates be provided for you and will you be required to update them on a regular basis, make changes, etc., or create these yourself? I have accounts with templates that were a huge setup, took over 5 years before my investment started to pay off and I am not paid for updating them continuously. I also had to invest in a quite expensive, powerful computer and have put over $7000 into my current computer, not including backup.... Training on these can also be quite time consuming and expensive.

good points, good advice - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Sad - whatashame

[ In Reply To ..]
I thought this was surely about VR, and I am so sad to read it's about ST!! If I was new to the profession or where I am now, and I was offered these types of cpl, I would seriously go work at a fast food place. How can one even achieve minimum wage?? Who are these companies offering such low pay? IMO, they should be investigated.

Might not be sad - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
That is the problem with some of you MTs. You automatically assume that because it's 5 cpl it's horrible, horrible pay. If 40% of the work is templated and the other 60% are easy docs...they could EASILY make great money!! You have no clue as to the type of work so don't knock it unless you know. To the OP....if it is easy work, then yes, 5 cpl is a good rate and you can make a decent amount of money. If the work is for a difficult doctor, then no 5 cpl is terrible. However, it all depends on the dictator really. I've made 20+ an hour at 5 cpl with good doctors!
Just think what you'd make with 8 cents a line - which is the lowest we should take - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
This is the problem with some of you. You need to stop saying well I can make $20 to $40 an hour on 5 cents a line. Why in the heck are you settling? You can make a third more on the same work! I'm beginning to think all of the people who come on here and rah-rah for the lower pay is okay in either medical or general haven't been in this business long - less than 10 years. If you were, you surely wouldn't be accepting these atrocious rates!! It's those of you who do that are killing the rest of us who don't! You all are the reason why the pay is going down and not up. They aren't going to send this stuff all overseas!
Not settling - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
It's not "settling," it's being realistic. For your information, I've been at this for 11 years and I've seen a variety of rates and I've also lost many jobs due to the technologies. A person needs to realize that if you can make a decent wage, that being $20+ an hour, you can't be greedy. These facilities are paying you a good chunk of change that I might add would be way cheaper for them to switch to either a point and click system or switch to VR. I've had a couple of facilities switch to VR due to the fact that it would be a one-time large payment that would pay for itself over time. They were able to buy the software for the price that they were paying me to do the very same work in a two-week period. So is it really us low-pay takers that are killing the industry? No, it's the technology, and for those of us who want to keep working at home and want to keep doing what we do, sometimes you have to make sacrifices on the amount we get per line so long as we can make a decent wage. If I'm able to make $20 an hour on 5 cpl, how isn't that better than minimum wage or barely minimum wage on 10 cpl?? I don't give a darn what the cpl is...I care what my hourly rate ends up being! I never knock the rate until I try the work...which is probably why I am one of the more successful MTs on this board!
Not settling, my big toe - The Owl
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, it is settling, and yes, you are mucking it up for the rest of the MTs. I still get 9 cpl for straight transcription. I insist on being paid what I am worth. I am very good, can do any kind of ESL and any work type. I am dependable, do not flake out, know my stuff and will not settle for pennies. Shame on those who do!
We'll see how that goes for ya when the dr purchases - Dragon to cut costs
[ In Reply To ..]
Then you'll know why some of us have to be happy for cheaper!
It will go just fine for me - The Owl
[ In Reply To ..]
I have other options. I will not get out of bed for 5 cpl, sorry.

$7000 investment in computer - sunshine

[ In Reply To ..]
My goodness gracious.....what in the world cost you $7000 and why did you need that much computer.....I have never heard of that.......

Sunshine - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
My tech and I custom-designed my computer and he built it. It is very fast, very sophisticated (you could probably run a Third-World country from it), and fast as a Ferrari and I can guarandarntee that it did not cost anywhere near 7K!

$7,000 in computer - just me

[ In Reply To ..]
It ended up costing that much because everybody kept underestimating my needs. If I had purchased a great computer in the first place, one powerful enough and had enough memory, etc., it would have been cheaper... but no... I had to update up the ying yang. I have hundreds of thousands of these templates per facility, which takes a lot of power and hard drive space or you will crash all day.... trust me, been there. .Some chips can be as much as $5000. That is just the chip.
just me - Hundreds of Thousands - The Owl
[ In Reply To ..]
You have hundreds of thousands PER FACILITY? Methinks you exaggerate.
I wish I were... - just me
[ In Reply To ..]
No, not exaggerating...I have templates with combination procedures in every way, shape, and form for several physicians... all with different doses, different levels, sides, etc.
No idea what you are talking about - GamerChick
[ In Reply To ..]
I build high end gaming computers as a side job and you are speaking nonsense.

I can only assume you mean CPU when you say "chip" and I can assure you that there is not a CPU that costs 5 grand.

Even if "everybody" was underestimating your needs and ended up building you a home server instead of a desktop you still would be hard pressed to spend even close to that $ amount on multiple Terabytes of hard drives and networking hardware.

I am calling b*lls**t!
GamerChick - Nick
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm with you on this one.

templated accounts - just me

[ In Reply To ..]
Please find out what is involved prior to starting, whether these are completely provided, if they will need any updating in the future, and who is responsible for that. I would not want you to have to go through what I did. I have several binders of instructions and constant updates. I did not see the light of day the first 4 years and lived off $50 a paycheck until I picked up supplemental work... several other accounts on the side as well as a husband working. At another facility I had worked at, there were no updates or changes, so that worked out well. You should see my current list of "changes" I still have to make... several notebooks. You did not say if you would be working for an MTSO or this is a client of your own. It was a huge, expensive setup with my clients and too many instructions to train anybody (tried), so no vacations for me or a day off.. I have no coverage.

$7000 computer? - Runamok

[ In Reply To ..]
I can't get past the $7000 computer. My husband bought a very nice gaming computer for my son and he has a very nice computer that he had build especially for him. I have a nice computer. I don't think all 3 come near that $7000. WOW!!
But, my husband is pretty frugal and computer savvy and looks for deals. He would have used external hard drives, etc. for that extra space needed, put in extra memory cards, etc. For $7000 II would want that thing to do most of the typing and make my coffee for me! LOL Nothing against you having one or spending that $ on one, just that I couldn't and wouldn't.

Similar Messages:

If You Thought 8 Cents Was Bad, 6 Cents/line Is Downright Insulting
Apr 13, 2010

RE:  Posting on the job seekers board.   ....especially for something like psych where you can't make as many big normals like you would be able to do with other specialities. I would have liked to work some extra on some psych accounts, but that pay is just disgusting. ...

10 Cents A Line For Transcription And 5-6 Cents A Line For VRE?
Mar 19, 2015

Are there any companies out there that pay at least 10 cents a line for transcription and 5-6 cents a line for VRE? This career is not what it used to be!  ...

Line Counts And Templates
Jun 22, 2010

Hi - I have a question regarding counting templates. I have a new doc who wants me to only count what he dictates, and not the templated review of systems, past medical history, social history, etc. which is all unchanged (unless he says to change it). Do you cut and paste your work into a "count" file to get the total, or do you tell the doctor that it has to be included in the count. And what about the times he does make changes to the "templated items". I welcome any suggestions. ...

How Is 5 Cents A Line For QA?
Aug 18, 2010

I've been offered 5 cents to QA, I used to QA hourly but I've come to realize hourly isn't offered much anymore.  I'm getting carpal tunnel, which is quite painful, and I'd love to type less and still make money.  Is this rate too low??  I'd also be independent contractor, but I don't mind IC.  ...

Cents Per Line
Aug 29, 2010

Were you recently employed by Medquist, OSi or Transcend?  What is your rate per line?  How many previous years of MT experience?  Where do you live? ...

6 Cents A Line??
Oct 19, 2010

Surely they jest!! ...

0.375 Cents Per Line
Feb 23, 2012

Why not just ask for volunteers and be done with it? ...

6 Cents A Line!!!
Mar 28, 2013

Why don't we just transcribe for free and get a charity deduction!!!  LOL  It just keeps getting worse and worse.  So depressing. ...

Job Offers: 0.04 / 0.05 Cents Per Line
Jul 30, 2010

Hello all.. this will be my first real job.. I've applied at several places, taken the tests, sent in resumes... and now I'm getting calls with job offers. These people are company owners who sound very nice and legitimate, but what I'm being offered sounds pretty low.  The first company says: 0.04 cents per line, and the second one says they pay 0.05 cents.  The second company says they pay by the "byte" rather than by the line.  You take the total number of bytes ...

QA Rate 3.5 Cents Per Line??
Sep 25, 2010

It is just me or is 3.5 cents per line for quality assurance editing sound like a very low rate of pay, or is that the norm now a days? ...

6 Cents A Line...MT Is Becoming A Joke
Oct 18, 2010

There is a new job posting for 6 cents a line....this field of work is becoming more unappealing every day; to think I have given this field 37 years of my life including weekends and holidays, I have never taken such big step backwards.  Barely making minimum wage these days.  I remember the good old days..... ...

Any Companies Pay More Than 4.5 Cents Per Line On SR/VR?
Dec 15, 2010

I've been working for a national company for over 5 years and all of my accounts have been transitioned to 100% SR work at 4.5 cents per line (a far cry from what I used to make).  I'm now basically making minimum wage due to all the editing that needs to be done to these reports (and we've been on SR for over a year now).  They keep making changes to improve SR but it's just getting worse and worse.  From what I've read it sounds like 4.5 cents per line i ...

How Much On Average Does 8 Cents A Line Come Out To Be?
Jan 27, 2011

Just curious as I have never been paid by the line, how much does getting paid 7, 8, 9, 10 cents a line average out to be.  I realize it all depends on how fast you are but say on average???  What do most companies pay?  Thanks! ...

7 Cents A Line W/o Spaces!!
Oct 24, 2011

There has got to be something better than this!!  Any one know of any companies that pay more than this for subcontractor with 4 years experience? ...

Would You Work For 5 Cents A Line?
Jul 28, 2012

I was offered a job making 5 cents a line for straight transcription.  Is that an insult or a fair wage?  ...

Whatever Happened To 8 Cents A Line?
Aug 03, 2013

When I took the Career Step course not even 5 years ago, the industry supposedly was paying on average 6-9 cents a line. I worked in a hospital at an hourly wage for a few years and was recently laid off and am working at one of the online companies now - and I REALLY want to know what happened to the 6-9 cents a line I was told was industry standard FIVE years ago? I'm making 4 cents a line now -- how does an industry pay LESS 5 years later? ...

IC Pay Creeping Further Down To 6 Cents/line?
Sep 16, 2013

And a required test as a further insult? ...

IC Line Rate Of 9 Cents Per Minute?????
Apr 02, 2010

I have never heard of being paid by minute of dictation. What would you say is fair for an experienced MT doing acute care as an IC? Is 9 cents per minute low, or is it just me? Anyone have any input on this or experience with this type of pay plan? Thanks in advance. ...

Company Offering QA 3 Cents Per 65 VBC Line?
Aug 02, 2010

Those are slave wages to a highly experienced QA person.  What is the industry stooping to these days? ...

Flat 4 Cents A Line Starting Feb 1???
Jan 15, 2011

Noticed in the MQ MT "rewards" plan  (wow I can't even type that w/o laughing), that as of Feb 1 the pay will be a flat 4 cents per line for ASR.  It does say this applies to new hires only; however, it says if hired prior to Feb 1 the editing  rate will be "equal to the greater of 60% of the transcription base rate."    What does "equal to or greater of 60%" mean exactly?  Does that just mean 60% of your regular straight transcription rate like it is now?&nbs ...

IC For 7 Cents A Line For Straight Transcription....sm
Aug 23, 2011

and 3 cents for VR?  Unbelievable!  That equates to about 5 cents and 2 cents per line respectively after taxes, and they require a second or third shift schedule.  Are they serious?  I guess some MTs are content to work for little more than minimum wage.  Too bad! ...

6 Cents A Line Blended Rate
Sep 25, 2013

so ive been offered a position at 6 cents a line for both straight and SR.  these are new accounts and we have to train the VR so in a few months it should be 80-90% VR.     Thoughts? Opinions?   ...

I Just Got Offered .50 Cents Per Line And Wondered
Mar 25, 2014

what is the going rate for most MT jobs per minute of dictation? Help! ...

Question Re Bayscribe Cents Per Line
Apr 04, 2015

Am I understanding correctly that we will only be paid 7.5 cents per line if we don't produce 150+ LPH? Thanks in advance! ...

7 Cents A Line, IC, No Bonus Incentive Program...sm
May 13, 2010

Would you bother? It's clinic work, so it should be easy, but I don't think I could make a living on that. ...

Does Anyone Work ONLY QA (no Typing, No SR) And Get Paid By Cents Per Line
Jul 26, 2010

This is probably a dumb question, but please no snide remarks.  If you do not have any constructive comments, please move on.   If you only do QA and are paid by cents per line (NOT hourly), how do you make any money or plan your day.  Are you not dependent on how many reports other Medical Transcriptionists send to QA?  So, if everyone is just spot on and only 1 or 2 reports make it to QA in an hour, how do you make any money?    I saw the ad on the Job Seeker& ...

RE: Post Below About New Hire With 30 Yrs Exp. Offered 4 Cents A Line
Nov 03, 2010

She says the offer was "set in stone."  This makes me believe that MQ is going to either try to cut everyone's ASR pay to 4 cents a line.  They will either get rid of the ones somehow (nit pitting followed by QA pay cuts, making "tweaks" to DQS that are annoying and slow us down, causing up to want to quit, etc) or we will accept their new "set in stone" rate.  They will sugar coat it by saying, "We are ONLY reducing your ASR pay not your regular transcription rate" and then ...

Transcription Doctors' Ad For Paying 3 Cents A Line
Apr 16, 2012

Hey, I thought the moderator "unposted" the jobs that were posted here if they paid less than 4 cents a line.  I wonder whatever happened to that?  It seems like I read that somewhere, anyhow.  At 3 cents a line, TTD is  beginning to bump up against the states' minimum wages.  The only way that I see that they will be able to get around that is by saying they will hire independent contractors only, and I don't think we are all so stupid as to take 3 ...

Question About 7 Cents A Line With Spaces Counted
May 10, 2012

I have a question:  I currently make 8 cents a line, but it is VBC.  If I had a job that paid 7 cents normally, but paid for spaces and other things in the report would one be coming out ahead making at least 8 cents a line or may be even more when it is all figured out?  Has anyone ever done this and actually making more $$$ by making the 7 cents a line instead of 8 cents?   I used to have a job that paid 10 to 10.5 cents a line, but they sold out. I was just ...

I Feel Like Basically When U Do VR U Work For 4 Cents Rather Than 8, Same Line #'s
Feb 17, 2015

just sayin' ...