A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Ultimate Medical Academy (UMA)??? - Toni

Posted: Dec 05, 2011

I am a transcriptionist thinking about learning Billing/Coding. Looking into online programs. UMA has approached me and I was wondering if anyone has learned from them or has any input about them? I have not found out how much they charge for the program, but I'm betting it isn't cheap. Still leaning towards Andrews, but this UMA looks pretty good too. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

check this out - link

[ In Reply To ..]
www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/ultimate-medical-academy-c151158.html

online programs - MJINATL

[ In Reply To ..]
Hi Toni - I too am in transcription and transitioning to coding. It depends on the extent of what you want to get out of the coding field. Do you want a certificate or do you want a 2-year degree? I know nothing about Ultimate Medical Academy but the main thing you need to look into when searching would be accreditation. You MUST make sure the course/class is accredited either through AHIMA and/or AAPC. AHIMA has schools/courses listed on their website of accredited programs. (www.ahima.org). Hope this helps.

Advice from a successful transitioner from MT to coding - It is all about credentials

[ In Reply To ..]
There are all sorts of schools, but very few of them prepare their students for both the CCS and the CPC credentials. I was talking to a woman who is taking one of the courses given by the credentialing organization itself and she can't get any help from instructors. Their course isn't designed to prepare students for the exam that their organization gives. If she hangs in there and manages to finish, with little or no help from instructors, she still won't be ready to sit for the credentials exams, the most important goal any coding student should have.

This is true for coding... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
This is true for coding. Employers will want to see the CCS and/or CPC and if you have those they will not care if the program you went through was AHIMA accredited or not. I would be surprised if they even asked where you went.

The AHIMA course only prepares you for the CCA-it is the "basics".

But if you decide to go for a degree and want to obtain a RHIT or RHIA then it has to be CAHIM approved or AHIMA will not allow you to sit for the credential exam.

Amazing advice! Also incorrect. - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
This is what the above post said: "... the main thing you need to look into when searching would be acreditation. You MUST make sure the course/class is accredited either through AHIMA and/or AAPC."

As far as coding is concerned, nothing in that statement is accurate.

1. The AAPC does not accredit ANY programs, so you will be unable to find any.

2. AHIMA does not accredit coding programs--it only "approves" them. Not all schools choose to go through the approval process. You should not assume that a school which does not boast of approval is deficient--they may be better than an approved program and just unwilling to cut back on what they teach or to change the way they teach it. Not all schools meet the structural requirements for approval--perhaps they're not affiliated with a college or they're too small to afford the cost, time, or aggravation involved in getting approved.

If you personally feel a need to attend an approved coding program, that's fine, but you should not tell others that this is a critical decision factor for them.

3. Neither AAPC or AHIMA require completion of their programs, OR ANY PROGRAM, for their certification exams. You can take those exams regardless of how you learned, even if you taught yourself. (And, yes, lots of people teach themselves and/or learn on the job.)

There is an explanation for the mistaken belief that "accreditation" is required. It is that there is a prerequisite for the AHIMA RHIA and RHIT certification exams. You cannot take those exams unless you graduated from an AHIMA-accredited college program. However, the requirements for those credentials have nothing to do with coding credentials.

Here's something that does affect choice of a school. If the school tells you it prepares you for the CCA only, or that it suggests multiple years of experience before you can pass any exams, be careful. That is telling you that the program does not teach to the level of the exams.

And, just a note about experience, since that question usually follows the "accreditation" thing . . . neither AHIMA nor AAPC require experience for the CCS, CCS-P, or CPC exams. Should you pass the exam, AHIMA will grant you the full credential even if you have no experience. They do not, in fact, even know if you have no experience.

If you have no experience and pass the CPC, AAPC will grant a CPC-A credential (apprentice designation) until you have accumulated 2 years of experience. This isn't particularly detrimental in job hunting, so it's nothing to worry about. If you complete a course of a certain length, AAPC will give you credit for 1 of those years. They will give this for any number of schools, including Andrews.

Amazing advice! Also incorrect - MJINATL

[ In Reply To ..]
Wow!!! I was only trying to be helpful in giving Toni some advice regarding furthering their education. Yes AHIMA only "approves" the schools through their site by 'listing' them - I was only suggesting they check out ALL avenues before attending ANY school as there are so many bogus programs out there that just take your money. I also was just trying to emphasize that when seeking employment for a coding job, look at the coding jobs listed, a majority of the jobs posted DO SAY they are "seeking one who has a CCS, etc. credential from an AHIMA-based program OR AAPC program." Have a nice day!
I also noticed that your advice was incorrect - See message
[ In Reply To ..]
I was about to correct the error in your advice, but someone beat me to it. It's important that we keep on correcting misconceptions because it's so easy for them to catch on and be considered factual. You've got another error in your second message, but it's obvious that you are just trying to help. I hope you have a very nice day too.
Coders are just meticulous about details like this - All About Getting Things Right
[ In Reply To ..]
The obsession for getting facts right is just one of the characteristics of being a coder. It goes with the job.

Looked into it further - Toni

[ In Reply To ..]
and found that it is just too expensive (around 16,000). There is a school in my home town that I could go to for the same price and actually be in front of a teacher. I will eventually try either Andrews or Career Step I think.

Toni - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
All of the diploma mills "look good." They have to in order to attract students. I'm glad that the cost dissuaded you, because it can be very difficult to sort out the wheat from the chaff based on what schools tell you they teach.

Be very careful about making decisions based on whether you think there is a teacher standing in front of the class. That is no guarantee of quality instruction. In fact, many colleges -- which you would assume have teachers in front of a class -- now teach all their coding online. While there may be a teacher, they aren't the kind of teacher you had in the past. For the most part, online instruction is an unhappy process of floundering around screen after screen of error-laden material. Tests are online, software-graded exercises in frustration when no one, including the instructors, can explain why answers are incorrect.

For what it's worth, of the two schools you mentioned, Andrews is known to provide the most instructor assistance. They understand its importance and, even though it is by email, they do a good job of it. All of their instructors are experienced, credentialed, working coders who enjoy teaching and are good at it.

Thank you everyone! - Toni

[ In Reply To ..]
I really enjoy this site and all the communication throughout it. I appreciate all responses. Again, thanks!

The ongoing joke about coding courses with teachers at the front - Please see message

[ In Reply To ..]
There is an ongoing joke in our industry about on-campus coding classes. The teacher comes into the classroom every class day, picks up the book, and reads it to the students word for word. The joke is, that's really happening. The students may or may not be able to answer questions. The instructor may or may not be qualified or able/willing or have time to answer any questions that are asked. With all that reading to be done, there really isn't time for nonsense like learning how to do what you are listening to the teacher read about. It's a lazy way to teach, but it seems to be the norm these days for many of the colleges. Some of the materials they read from are good and some of them aren't, but it's no wonder that coders come out of school unable to pass a test, either for credentials or for a job. They would probably need the test proctor to read it to them because that's how they've been taught.

Similar Messages:

Ultimate Medical Academy
Nov 11, 2014

Does anyone here know anything about ultimate medical academies medical billing and coding certificate or how credible it is? ...

ICD-10coders Academy
Dec 27, 2011

Anybody know anything positive or negative about ICD-10 Coders Academy? ...

Ultimate Stage Stroke?
Sep 04, 2011

Can't find any good answers for this, but he says it pretty plainly.  Thanks! ...

Phillips Andover Academy Sports
Nov 11, 2009

this is a girl boarding at this school and she plays basketball and s/l "crew"   i'm lost! ...

Okay So I Definitely Know Today Is My Day For Breakdown And Ultimate Firing
Apr 06, 2010

This is my end.  I have received back to back ESL horrible doctors that slowing down only obliterate more.   They absolutely know NOTHING in how to pronounce the simplest drug names, and have butchered it beyond control.  All from the same hospital from the south.  Now oncology notes and are whizzing past the difficult chemo meds so fast it is virtually impossible for ANYONE even Indians to decipher this garbage.  This on top of a major error MQ has made concerning ...

What Impact Will The Electronic Medical Record Have On The Medical Coding Career
Mar 20, 2011

Dear medical coding students and medical coders: I am starting The Andrew's School of Medical Coding on April 1, 2011 and I have I am looking forward to it. I want to ask you your opinions. I was at the dog park with my pug Cruncher yesterday and I was telling my friends that I was looking forward to starting school and one my friends who is an oncologist at NIH was advising me that I should think twice about starting medical coding as a profession because the implementation of the electron ...

Medical Transcription At Home To Become A Medical Scribe?
Jan 20, 2015

Has anybody left medical transcription at home to become a medical scribe?  I have an opportunity to do so but there aren't any scribes currently in my area and I don't know anyone who has worked as a scribe before.  The scribe position starting pay is almost double what I make as an MT per hour so it is very tempting, I just don't know much about it. ...

From Medical Transcriptionist To Medical Coordinator
May 19, 2011

Where can I get information about transitioning from a medical transcriptionist to a medical coordinator? ...

Help - A Non-medical Word In A Medical Report
Jan 25, 2013

It's on a wrist injury.  The word sounds like (it's slurred), but has the sound of - "inishits" The sentence is He has instability of the distal radial ulnar joint.  He had an MRI, which did reveal tear of the TFCC, which _____ with his clinical picture. Anywone have any guesses as to what that might be?  I'm just at a loss. Thanks,   ...

Scan Medical In MI - Anyone Still Working At Scan Medical
May 29, 2011

Is anyone still working at Scan Medical.  I lost my account and just wondered if she is getting more accounts. ...

Medical/Rx
Dec 21, 2010

I did some searching for older posts, but cannot seem to find a very accurate answer.  Will someone share how the health insurance benefits are at MQ?  Do you have to produce so many lines to qualify for insurance?  Do they offer Rx coverage?  Is it affordable?  Oh, how long does a new employee have to work before obtaining insurance? Any answer (s) is greatly appreciated. ...

QT Medical
Feb 06, 2011

Does anyone have any recent info on QT medical?  Thanks! ...

AP Medical
Mar 29, 2011

Has anyone heard of AP Medical in Pennsylvania.  Any info would be appreciated.  TIA. ...

Anyone In CA Who Is PT -- Do You Still Get Medical....
Aug 29, 2011

for PT?  I'm getting conflicting information from other employees, friends and my CCM.  CCM says no medical for PT and someone I know in HR says in CA you are eligible for medical for anything over 24 hours per week, albeit at a higher premium.   Yet another person says a company doesn't have to offer medical to anything less than FT.  Sigh......   ...

Another Medical Must, LLC
Feb 14, 2012

Anyone heard of this company? ...

Medical
Oct 04, 2012

Has anyone had any problems with medical issues with Nuance or Transcend either one?  Like if you had to miss  for doctors visits etc.  I do not want to go into details on here. ...

Medical INK
Apr 28, 2015

Anyone know if they assign you specific dictators or if you work from a pool? Also, is there a minimum daily line count? Thanks! ...

Medical Equipment
Nov 16, 2009

The patient should be on a s/l wearing program for his brace and s/l prayfolus.  Patient with flexion at the hips and knees and possible contractures. ...

Medical Acronym
Dec 02, 2009

Anyone heard of AYR?  What is it?  HELP! ...

Best Medical Dictionaries.
Dec 03, 2009

Does anyone know the best medical dictionaries to put in your computer. And of any other websites or links to quickly look up words in the fastest manner. ...

Scan Medical
Feb 04, 2010

Anyone that works for Scan Medical can you tell me how the work is there.  ...

Going From MT To Medical Coding
Feb 04, 2010

Any informatioin regarding medical coding and billing? I am thinking about going back to school. I recently lost my MT job. Thanks! ...

What Is HB Medical Transcription???
Mar 06, 2010

I've been in the medical transcription industry for 16 years and dont have any clue what HB medical transcription is. There is a job posted which has been filled, but I for the life of me cannot figure that out, unless it is hispanic/bilingual.  Can someone help me out!  ...

Medical Terminology
Mar 22, 2010

Tachy palpitations is this tachy/palpitations or tachy-palpitations or one word? ...

Advanced Medical
May 05, 2010

Any info on Advanced Medical Transcription?  I applied and want to know if I should go any further. ...

Medical Transcribers II, Inc
Jun 23, 2010

I have visited their web site and seen their new ad. I was wondering if anyone who visits this board has any work experience/history with them. TIA ...

I Just Saw An Ad For A Medical Scribe
Jun 25, 2010

I just saw an ad for a Medical Scribe.  The description is that the MT accompanies the doc from room to room to see patients, sits at the computer in the room and transcribes the H&P/procedure while doc is doing the exam.  Starting pay was $17/hr with full benefits.  Anybody ever heard of this?  I think it's a good idea, leaves the doc hands free to tend to the patient.  It sounds a little like being a court reporter as far as "live" dictation being done. ...

VLC Medical Transcription
Jul 24, 2010

Does anyone know if the Virtual Learning Center still exists?  I am not getting any responses to emails to them.  The website has changed since the last time I looked at it.  Also, I thought they were supposed to be the third best of the top three medical transcription companies to learn from.  If they are not, who is?  ...

JLG Medical Transcription
Sep 09, 2010

Any info on JLG pros/cons, pay would be greatly appreciated. ...

Western Medical
Jun 23, 2011

Does anyone know anything about Western Medical and the MTPro software they are selling for $495.00. They are claiming to be hiring me, looks dicey. Rich ...