A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

About Western Governors University's B.S. in Health Informatics - JB

Posted: Jun 03, 2014

Is there anyone here who has gotten the B.S. in Health Inforamatics at Western Governor's University? Or is there anyone who is currently going to WGU to get this degree? If so, can you tell me about the program, how you like it, etc? The only thing that holds me back is the pass/fail grading system and transferring credits to other schools.

deleted - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Nm

see post - JB

[ In Reply To ..]
"Is the problem that you think you will have to work too hard? That you could attend the local college and scrape by with Cs?"

Do you realize how insulting this is? Why must you talk down to people this way? It seems like you reached out and pulled that out of nowhere. There is not a place in my post that said I don't want to work hard or want to scrape by on C's. Where are you getting this from?

What is the issue with their grading system? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I have seen people who thought - exactly that

[ In Reply To ..]
I have seen people who thought exactly that. Four or five of them. After comparing that and the local college, they said that they thought that WGU sounded like too much work. It was easier to sit in a class for a semester, cram for an exam, and get a passing grade.

I think the same thing. I know I can learn enough to pass, in fact get A, without having to work that hard. That's why I didn't choose another one of their programs. It will take half the effort where I decided to go.

Okay but... - JB
[ In Reply To ..]
Just because those people want to take the lazy way out doesn't mean everyone does. It lacks manners and social graces to come into a post insulting and talking down someone for no reason/something they didn't do/something they didn't say.
She did not accuse you of that. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
NM
Yes she did sm - JB
[ In Reply To ..]
I directly quoted what she said.
No, it was one of several possibilities she offered - because the question was unclear
[ In Reply To ..]
She listed several possible explanations for an issue someone could have a pass-fail grading system. She did so because she did not know what your reason was.  The one you quoted is phrased as a question, not an accusation. You also took it out of context.

The thing about writing is that readers can interpret it in the light of their own reality. A reader who expects to hear an accusation will hear an accusation.

I, personally, would have just said that option was not my reason and selected the one that was, or said none of them were and explained my reasoning further. In that way, I would have avoided a lot of personal upset and public ugliness, and maybe gotten some additional advice.
The deleted post says a lot sm - JB
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't want any advice from that particular poster. I don't need to be given advice that way. I made separate topic about a poster or group of posters on this board always finding a way to get a dig in with their "advice."

It's just getting tiring to read. I heard an accusation because there was one. There was absolutely no need to make the negative remarks that were made. I am definitely not going to smile in the face of someone assuming, for no reason, that I want to take the easy way out or coast by on C's at an easy community college. What would have been so hard about asking about what I meant without that remark?

Another poster below, someone who actually went to the school, understood what I was asking and gave a nice, helpful reply without any negativity or insults, and I appreciate that.

I went for a while - it is a good program

[ In Reply To ..]
I did not finish but that was strictly of my own doing and does not reflect on them. It is a wonderful program. Do not be afraid of the pass/fail, it is a competency program and you will be competent when you are through with the coursework. Transferring credit should not be a problem since they are accredited. It is a basically like you have an A or an F. If you are worried about transferring credits, just contact all of the schools that you think would be on your list and make sure they take it. If this is the area you are interested in, this is a great school to utilize. Hope that helps!

Thank you sm - JB

[ In Reply To ..]
This helps a whole lot. :)

WGU - Cindy

[ In Reply To ..]
I did much research on them. I was very impressed. What they do is evaluate competencies. For example, if you learned something on the job you could speed through that course and get your credit. I think that's a bonus. Plus, you can earn several software certifications as part of the program and the tuition is fixed regardless of how many courses you take. If you have the time to devote to the course, you could finish it quickly and save $$$. I didn't pursue the program not because of laziness (grin), but I simply didn't have the time to devote to a college course of study. If I did, they would be on my short list.
I took their entrance exam passed everything but... - feel sad
[ In Reply To ..]
Except for the math portion :( I wasn't accepted because I failed the math part. I have never done well in math. It really did seem like a good school, though.
The math part was not basic - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Don't feel badly about that. The math part of that test is not exactly easy. It goes well beyond what most people take in high school, so unless you took enough math to get up to calculus and did it recently enough to remember it, it would not be unusual to have some trouble with it.

Their RHIA program requires more math than most because of the focus on informatics and programming. Other schools would be less math-y, especially if you started at a community college where you could take math readiness courses first.
Thank you for that. - feel sad
[ In Reply To ..]
It's been so many years since I have really done any math and to be honest, when I received the letter I had failed (which I really knew I failed the math) it really hit my self-esteem. I have never been good at math anyway, but it still hurt to see I most likely would have gotten in had it not been for that. I aced everything else. :( But thank you, it really did make me feel better for you saying that. Thank you..
Don't give up! - Cathy
[ In Reply To ..]
If you really want to do the program, don't give up because you failed the math part. You can take some math classes and then come back and ace it :) There are some free math courses that you can do through Open Courseware, edX, Coursera, etc. I also recently found straighterline.com, which offers very reasonable priced classes, and they are a partner with WGU so any credits you get there will transfer to WGU.

I would love to do the program at WGU, but I would have to brush up on my math skills first too. Right now I'm not sure how I would find the time to do it while working 4 MT gigs to try to make enough money since being bought out by Nuance, so it's on hold until I can figure that one out but hopefully I will come up with a solution soon.

Similar Messages:

Getting Out Of MTing, Looking Into Health Informatics
Aug 24, 2011

I am getting out of MT and looking into the Health Informatics program.  I have a 2 year degree in HIT, but my problem is I don't know where to look for a bachelor's degree in Healthcare Informatics.  When I research online I find only master's degrees in informatics or other universities require you to have an RN degree or IT degree.  I saw someone post here that they were getting their bachelor's degree in Informatics but cannot find that post.  Anyone k ...

Health Informatics Program
Apr 30, 2012

Just curious if anyone knows about the Health Informatics 4-year degree that WGU offers?  I want to change careers to healthcare IT and have been looking into this program.  Thanks ...

Can Someone Explain To Me Exactly What Health Informatics Is?
May 09, 2012

I keep seeing health informatics jobs and a lot of my former MT co-workers are going back to school for this.  Ok so my stupid question is, what exactly is this?  ...

In The Health Informatics Course I Am Taking,
Feb 22, 2013

I am learning that this most complicated business of healthcare, in going tech, is trying to basically 'get rid of humans' (what a lecturer actually said) involved in the process of the EHR. he talked about free text being part of mistakes and cost, and to me that means probably reducing or eliminating altogether dictation and rather having templates that a provider will just fill in or check off - or have someone do it, but not an MT. this is just my opinion now, but think about it. ...

Indiana University Health To Cut 800 Jobs!
Sep 12, 2013

WOW.....sign of the times I guess!  This is one of the biggest health care organizations in Indiana!  Lord help this country! http://www.theindychannel.com/web/wrtv/news/local-news/iu-health-to-cut-800-jobs Here is the e-mail they sent to employees: http://media.theindychannel.com/docs/iu-health-letter.pdf ...

Thinking About Going Back To School For Health Informatics
Aug 19, 2011

None of the colleges in an hour's radius of me offer this program.  Can this be done online and if so, has anybody done it? ...

Sounds Like Western Arm Holder (It Is Western)
Oct 13, 2010

"The left upper extremity was rested on a well-padded Western arm holder." ...

Western Medical
Jun 23, 2011

Does anyone know anything about Western Medical and the MTPro software they are selling for $495.00. They are claiming to be hiring me, looks dicey. Rich ...

Western Blot Or Western Blot?
May 01, 2014

I know that Southern blot should be capitalized since it is named after a person, but what about western blot, eastern blot, northern blot?  What is the consensus on whether to capitalize or not -- I have seen all of these written with a capital and without a capital letter.  Thanks for your help. ...

Eastern Vs Western
Sep 27, 2014

This is a ? about encephalitis.  In the word book, eastern (lc) equine viral encephalitis and Western (UC) equine encephalitis.    Anybody know why eastern is not capitalized while Western is capitalized?  Makes no sense to me!    Thanks! ...

Western Medical, Delaware
Sep 23, 2011

Is anyone familiar with this company?  Pros or cons of working for them?  They are offering me medical transcription.  Thx for the help.  ...

I've Never Seen The Work In The Western Region So Low
Mar 02, 2014

Currently there are 354 reports, and 150+ of those are from one facility alone.   What holiday is it this time? ...

The Entire Western Region Is BONE DRY
Jan 30, 2014

There are only 246 reports in the ENTIRE western region right now as I type this, and out of ALL the facilities in the western region, only 30 facilities have work for us.  Something is very weird.  ...

Wow, Almost The Entire Western Region Is Wiped Out Of Work
Dec 02, 2013

I have a feeling it's going to be a crazy week trying to get our lines/income in ... there's practically no work in the entire western region.  Even my backups to the secondary backup secondaries are wiped out.  ...

Focus Informatics.....sm
Mar 11, 2010

They did get back to me and have gotten the ball rolling on my hiring now, so, hoping soon to get started with them.  I just got a little worried when I had sent in some personal info and then didnt hear anything, but we're getting it done now.  I'm lookin forward to it and hoping all will go well.    ...

Anyone Here Taken Or In The WGU Informatics Program?
Aug 23, 2012

I have my AA in HIT and have my RHIT and I'm looking at the WGU program to get my RHIA.  Has anyone taken or in this program?  I see that this program has a lot of computer courses and computer certifications.  I'm kind of worried about that part as I've never been good with computers and have a hard time retaining computer knowledge.  Any experience with this program? ...

Good Lord, Only 200 Reports In The Entire Western Region
Jan 26, 2014

Looks like it's going to be another one of those days ... there should be plenty of work after the maintenance last night but nope, single jobs available in most of the western facilities.  Pathetic.  ...

MT At University
Mar 27, 2010

Do Universities generally teach MT?  I've seen the schools on-line but would rather take it at a college.Just curious. ...

Anything About Or Work For Focus Informatics?
Oct 21, 2009

Has anyone heard anything about or work for Focus Informatics?  If so are they a good company to work for?  Thanks ...

CCA, CCS, CPC, RHIA, Informatics Question
Jan 30, 2014

I am thinking about going into health informatics. I've been looking at the program through WGU. Through their program, you complete your CCA credential before graduation. You would also qualify for your RHIA certification when you graduate. They state that a CCS or CCA credential will satisfy the coding courses in the program. Would it be better to do the coding portion of the informatics degree through a program that prepares you to pass the CCS and CPC (like Andrews) or would you know ad ...

Inscribe University
Mar 04, 2010

Has anyone done the training through Inscribe University? Any feedback would be appreciated. ...

Well I Cant Log In To MModal University If That Is
Mar 19, 2014

oh well ...

University Of Toledo
Aug 23, 2014

Has anyone completed the post-baccalaureate certificate in Health Information Adminstration with the University of Toledo? I've been looking at it for a while now and would appreciate opinions from current or former students. Thanks!  ...

Anyone Has Applied Recently To Focus Informatics?
Jan 14, 2010

Wondering if anyone has applied recently to Focus.  A couple of months ago I had tested and went through that whole process successfully when the recruiter sent me an email with the minimum computer requirements; operating system 32 bit, XP or VISTA, 1 GB RAM, 1 GHZ processor, etc.  It was the 32-bit system that was the killer (mine was larger).  When I went to see about purchasing said computer, I could not find one as a 32-bit is an older out-of-date system.  Then I checked out E-Bay, ema ...

Is There Any Other Contact Number For Focus Informatics.....
Mar 05, 2010

besides Freddie Martins' number?  His is the only number I have and I have emailed him a couple of times and called one time, but no response back yet.  I was hired with Focus and supposed to be starting hopefully the 9th, but I have not gotten a response from sending in my I-9 form or the other forms they were supposed to send me.  Was thinking maybe something unexpected happened with Freddie for him to be out and may need to contact someone else for now?  But no contac ...

Kaplan University Degree In MT?
Apr 12, 2010

My husband is close to finishing the MT program at Kaplan University.  He will end up is AS Degree - is this a good program? Does he have any chance of getting a job? This degree cost 10 times as much at the course from CareerStep. I sure hope we didn't waste ALOT of money for nothing. ...

Kaplan University MT Degree
Oct 07, 2011

So about 6 months ago I started the MT program at Kaplan University and have been really enjoying it so far. I was reading in this forum earlier, however, and read about a school called Andrews. I was just wondering what the difference was between the degrees that are offered at Kaplan and Andrews and if anyone on the forum has graduated from Kaplan or is in their program and what they thought of the program and if they were abled to get hired right away or not.     ...

Texas State University RHIA
Sep 28, 2012

I learned yesterday that the TSU post baccaulaureate certificate requires only 15 hours.  Wow.  I can't stop thinking about it.  I'm going to see if I can get accepted (yes I live in Texas).  ...

Does Anybody Know What Happened To University Of Washington Transcription?
Feb 05, 2014

They used to always be hiring, but I haven't seen anything out of there in quite a while now.  What has changed?  Anybody got the scoop? ...

Could Anyone Who Has An HRA (health Reimbursement Arrangement) Type Of Health Care
May 04, 2010

tell me how that works?  I know the insurance premiums are less than a regular health plan.  If your  company puts 500 in your account, does that mean the first few times, for example, until you use up the 500, you don't pay ANYTHING or is it the opposite...you pay the entire office visit cost until you reach that 500?  I would be so grateful for any information about this type of plan.  TIA ...