A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Patient First Pay - mr

Posted: Feb 02, 2014

Has anyone worked for Patient First company? They have several urgent care clinics in eastern US. If so, may I ask your starting pay? Are they a good company to work for? Do they keep a FT position in plenty of work? Thanks

Patient First - Hanging In There

[ In Reply To ..]
If you do a search for them on the Company board you will find some info. I remember reading a few posts a few months ago on this company. Some people think they're great, others hate them. You know, the usual...

Good luck! s/m - USMT

[ In Reply To ..]
If you can pass their test, then you're a bad "MF," because most of us who have many years of experience can't even get a pinky toe in the door. Good luck.

PF - work at PF

[ In Reply To ..]
I am a current employee, been there a long time. All I will say about the pay is it is better than average and all typing, so no rip-off VR rates to consider.

Excellent company to work for compared to most MT jobs these days. Not as good as my old MT job way back when, but I think those days are long gone, unfortunately, and waaayyy better than the MTSO I worked for. Good benefits & PTO and little perks here and there that make it better than most places.

We basically have work coming out of our ears right now, in fact have been on mandatory OT since early Jan. Have been there a long time and have never, ever run out of work. It has been a little low in the past but never NJA.

Questions s/m - USMT

[ In Reply To ..]
How did you pass the test or what tips can you give in order to pass it? I have tried many times, but cannot get past a certain point. Also, what kinds of specialties are you transcribing? I want to apply again because I really want to work from home, but tired of trying and failing.

PF test - work at PF

[ In Reply To ..]
I had worked for years and years at a large teaching hospital and was very familiar with just about any kind of accent, so I think that helped a lot. I found the test very challenging, but not a whole lot different than a typical difficult/foreign dictator at my large hospital setting. Some fast talkers, some accents, some mumblers, etc. I do have a good ear for accents, so maybe that helped.

Also, I was used to every specialty at the hospital. Everyone there was required to do everything. PF is a group of walk-in clinics, so the dictation is a piece of cake compared to specials, echos, OPs, cardiac caths, EP studies, etc.

Thanks - USMT
[ In Reply To ..]
I have worked in various specialties as well and used to some accents here and there, but most recently been working in one specialty since 2005. I guess I can try again!
PF wince - vernal
[ In Reply To ..]
I wince whenever I see that place brought up on this board. I have all the experience of the person with the teaching hosp, etc. but saying exp will help with that test is misleading. It is not accents; it is indecipherable gibberish. There is something hinky about the hiring process there. Constantly advertising yet nearly everyone complains they get no response. Go ahead on and apply. If you get a call from them, it is the luck of the draw. Experience or proficiency have absolutely nothing to do with it.
Agree with Vernal....test is ridiculous and - donethatMT
[ In Reply To ..]
not designed to test your "skill" but I believe they want to see who is guessing or leaving blanks. It is utterly unintelligible at times. I actually passed it and got a phone call with a nice interview, which I thought went very well. 25+ years experience working in-house, so have done it all. Never heard from them again and they ran ads right afterward. Just what is it these people want. Whatever!
wow, crazy story - vernal
[ In Reply To ..]
On review of your interview, did you pinpoint anything that you think was the reason they did not call you back? It is senseless - it is the most worthless test I have ever taken in my 20+ years. My hunch is that they want young, inexperienced, malleable MTs (because of several posts here about how you have to memorize a lot of abbreviations). But if they want inexperience, why scare gals off with a test of whispering jabber? Some ting wong here! Walk on y'all.

Memorize "a lot" of abbreviations. - NINE PAGES
[ In Reply To ..]
That's right, NINE pages of abbreviations. This is a way to cut your pay. You have to use things like LUE for left upper extremity or ROM for range of motion. ANYWHERE they can do this, they use it to reduce your pay. Most reports are very, very short, like 2 sentences. They do not use VR, but I just wonder - when and if they start using EMR, they could eliminate more than half the MTs because the dictations are so short to begin with.

Also, my experience was you cannot apply on line. They have people drive for 8 hours to apply and test, and then hear nothing.
LOL almost none of this is true! - work at PF too
[ In Reply To ..]
1) Nine pages of abbreviations. There are about 5 pages of abbreviations, and LUE is not one of them. Most are labs and things like tid and bid, etc. They have abbreviations spelled out on the list because if it is not specifically on the list, it is to be expanded, even if the doctor abbreviates it in the dictation. There are many, many more times when you are expanding than abbreviating. Also, why do you think these have to be memorized? All you need to do is put them in the auto correct once and that is it.

2) The dictations are very, very short, like 2 sentences. Since there are 3 sections to the reports and each section needs info, there are at least 3 sentences per report, LOL! Seriously, how can you give a history, exam, and FU section in 2-3 sentences! Some doctors are wordy, others are short and to the point, but you cannot even have a report with 2 sentences.

3) You cannot apply on line. As far as I know, it is the only way you can apply. I don't know where the cutoff is for driving, but I do know they fly people in to interview for those a distance away. I know this to be true since I was flown in, put up in a hotel, and given a rental car. If you get to this point, I doubt you just never hear from them again.
Curious to know from PF employees... - Hanging In There
[ In Reply To ..]
Are the reports that you get on a daily basis anything like the incoherent gibberish on their test???
daily dictations - work at PF
[ In Reply To ..]
From what I hear, the docs on the test are actual doctors that dictate at PF, but I am not 100% certain about that.

What is different about our dictation is that we do not get all of the dictation FIFO the way I used to at the hospital I worked for. All of our dictation is not grouped in one big batch for all of their clinics combined. Each clinic has 1 to several transcriptionists assigned to that clinic, depending on how many patients that site may average in a day. Whichever doctors are working at that clinic are yours. You may have a clinic with a terrible dictator, but they are not on every day as they also cover at other nearby PF clinics. Also, since you do your clinic every day, you get very used to your dictators. You have your handful doctors and you make all the auto corrects, etc., you need for just those docs, rather than all of the ones and different specialties you get with acute care. As a result, you get very good/fast with your clinic. The lines add up pretty fast, even on the days when you have some of the not as good doctors on.
My name is Ismael - KNOBS
[ In Reply To ..]
A query about PF. Comments on the totally unnecessary garbage test that could easily be changed to one more representative, but no. The endless ads. A sprinkle of shares from people who point out drawbacks. The appearance of the the PF defender. The posts from tiptop MTs (20+) years who were ignored or did not receive a callback. The final post from naive MT who believes she will be the chosen one. The story never gets old, never changes.
you forgot about the - PF thread
[ In Reply To ..]
the knob who always shows up, reads every post and takes the time to comment, but offers nothing to the conversation.
I'd rather know by true to life test files what the work is like to make an educated - decision whether its a fit for me. Its called
[ In Reply To ..]
better safe than sorry -- for both the MTSO and the applicant.

It's just smart business. Everyone knows all too well with XX-amount of experience you can do it, that's a given. They're just cutting to the chase of "but can you do this" because 'this' will be you once hired.

You people want fluffy tests when the job is actually a challenge are the same ones who cry BAIT and SWITCH when the work hits the fan and it costs EVERYONE very valuable time and money.

No, I'm not a suit and not from this company. I am an MT with 40 years having been all over there and done all of that, and this is my opinion from my experience. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Dictation is much better - Current P Effer
[ In Reply To ..]
I thought the test was horrible sound wise and was a bit scared when I was hired that the dictation was going to be that way too, but it is much better.

I agree with the others, the test was a bear. sm - COMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I have 35+ years of experience and I still had to leave a lot of blanks and I never heard back from them so obviously didn't make the cut. It's too bad. I have read a lot of good things about them, but it just was not meant to be, it seems.

Similar Messages:

Patient Scheduled For Shoulder Surgery - Patient Has Pacemaker
Sep 12, 2011

We will have the patient seen by anesthesia preop to make sure the pacemaker is properly cared for during the surgical procedure, which requires general anesthesia, and the use of the s/l **bovig** during the surgery.  Thanks!! ...

The Patient Is On S/l Peer-uh-lone And Digoxin (cardiac Patient)
Feb 09, 2015

thank you ...

Patient First Transcription - Ever Applied To Patient First
Aug 20, 2012

Has anyone ever applied to Patient First and, if so, how is this company to work for?  TIA ...

Cancer Patient With MPNST, Mucositis, Patient Takes "radio Mix???"
May 31, 2011

pulling her hair out ...

Patient Is Clearly A Man, Dr Says "The Patient Complains Of A Labial Outbreak Of Herpes."
Jan 27, 2011

thinking I should flag?  unless I'm missing something...   tia ...

The Patient Is To Followup With "FNG", Patient Had Back Surgery
Dec 05, 2009

???????? Never heard this?????? ...

Patient States Or Patient Said?
Aug 20, 2010

What is the correct, AAMT guideline way to transcribe when dictator states "Patient says" or "Patient said" or "Patient states" ...

Patient Name
Jun 03, 2010

If the client profile makes no mention of patient name (yes or no) being left in the report, account does not specify verbatim, is the ADHI/JCAHO directive to type the patient's name or replace with "the patient?"  Just checkin'.  Am paranoid about everything with the audits these days.  ...

Doc Says About Patient-
Sep 01, 2010

Man, I wish he was my doctor.  He seems to really care for his patients. ...

Patient Age
Jul 31, 2012

what is correct format when transcribing pt name:  16 1/2 years, 16.5 years, or sixteen and one-half years?  Thanks. ...

Patient Is A What?
Aug 05, 2012

I swear to all that is holy, this is what this less-than-stellar PA just dictated:   "The patient IS a high-risk gestational trophoblastic disease..."  I went back and listened thinking I must have heard wrong and she said patient HAS ... Nope.  She said IS.  This is the same PA who dictated a creatinine of 92 for someone.   That sound you hear is me hitting my head on the desk. ...

MS Patient
Sep 24, 2012

The sentence is: Relapsing-remitting MS with accumulated disability involving left hemiparesis, clincally stable on Tysabri and S/L JCE negative. I hear the negative part, not sure if he is saying JCE?  Thanks for any help! ...

Patient's Age
Sep 26, 2012

When given a young patient's age, one of my doctors will say "the patient is 9+11 years old."  I have never heard a patient's age dictated this way before and I'm just wondering if anyone else has.  ...

Patient First FYI
Jun 11, 2014

Just FYI....I applied to PF about 3-4 months ago. Took the transcription test, thought I did great, never heard a word. Today out of the blue, got a call that I had done great on testing and they would like to offer me a position.  I said thanks but no thanks since I'm no longer looking for a job. She told me that they are currently looking for lots of MTs due to opening several new facilities. Just thought I would pass this along to anyone who is interested in jumping on and taking ...

What's Going On At Patient First?
Feb 19, 2015

There are indeed a lot of jobs posted for support positions. ...

Med Help. S/l Ma-tab-u-tol (patient With Migraines)
Oct 15, 2009

TIA:-) ...

Med, S/l Propaxadine. 81 Yo Patient. Thanks.
Feb 05, 2010

nm ...

Do You Cap Or Not Cap? Patient In Room 8, Bed 2?
Feb 17, 2010

Patient With Hypokalemia
Apr 16, 2010

Under the diagnosis, the doc says:  1. Hypokalemia likely due to medication use. Rule out primary s/l hyperolestrionism. Yeah, I know that's wrong.  Any electrolyte experts out there? This is total mumbling. I'm really not sure it even begins with "hyper"--could be "hypo" as well. ...

Patient Is In The Midst Of Doing An..
Sep 03, 2010

s/l *octuro-tight" scan.  That's all the information that's given.  Can't determine is the word begin with "O" or "A"?? Not much to go on I know! Doc does say the patient did part yesterday and is doing the rest today...if that helps. ...

Patient With Sciatica
Sep 20, 2010

under past medical history - s/l "failed??? back syndrome," bilateral ulnar neuritis... ...

Burn Patient
Feb 14, 2011

Is there such a thing as trolley room?  "The patient was seen in the trolley room."  Can't find a reference. ...

Patient With Angina
Mar 06, 2011

Can anyone help please, I am working my way through a difficult quiz and am stuck on a phrase, it sounds like "he would transcrige and usually control with nitroglycerin".   The patient has angina.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks. ...

Patient Called 9-1-1 Or 911?
Mar 25, 2011

Patient Was Pitted.
May 11, 2011

Doc said patient was pitted.  Left it blank, editor put in "pitted."  Is this an acceptable term?  Know doc meant she was given Pitocin, but pitted?  If we're going that route, wouldn't "Pit"d be better?  ...

See Patient In The New Year
Oct 19, 2011

How would it be written? "...see patient in the new year." OR  "...see patient in the New Year."   TIA ...

S/l Rosanaflex For MS Patient? 4 Mg
Dec 19, 2011

Patient is on Rosanaflex 4 mg.   I am unable to find.   thanks ...

Wrong Patient Name
Mar 09, 2012

A few days ago I got back a warning message from my company stating that the doc had keyed in the wrong medical record number, but did say that patient's correct name. It's a major error, so my first and last warning. I feel so terrible and am thinking of quitting. I have a hard time with this, as I am very, very careful with names and am thinking of asking to hear the voice recording again. Do you think it's rude for me to ask?  Do companies let you do that? I really think t ...

Oh Boy, Help! Patient Is Allergic To S/l Map Tek???
Mar 14, 2012

.. ...

Patient Names
Mar 15, 2012

So, this being the most friendly and up-to-date board around regarding MT practices, can I get some opinions about the HIPAA 'privacy rule' and your doctors using patient names in their notes, clinic or otherwise. I am not sure how an HIM department can say to a physician how using a patient name in a transcribed report is not going against the Privacy rule in HIPAA.  This kind of stuff just irks me!!!Any comments??  Thanks in advance.... ...