Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board Today's Top Viewed: Medical scribe employment.. (Views: 55)

Those overseas transcriptionists are highly sought after. That's why... - MTGuy

Posted: Aug 28th, 2023 - 10:25 am In Reply to: Why would they pay US MTs more - Reply

That's why they are paid more than Americans. Their English skills are extremely marketable. Do you think Filipino MTs picked up their superb English skills in grade school the same way you did? No. They learned THEIR English while going to a private school and then a good university. Only top-notch Filipino students come out of school speaking English well enough to do medical transcription. Do you think Filipinos like that are actually stuck in their MT jobs? Or forced to take those salaries?

Hell no. There are call centers where they can go and earn as much as any other college-educated professional in The Philippines. (They just have to work from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m., which can suck.) There are SEO firms where they can go and use their English skills to help websites get better visibility on Google. They can get paid $15 per hour to tutor wealthy Chinese or other Asian kids online in English. They can obviously do work in whatever field they got their college degree in and make good money. And of course there are the 10 million (1 in every 10) Filipinos who are an "OFW" (Overseas Filipino Worker), who took their English skills overseas to go work on cruise lines or at resort hotels or in hospitals and nursing homes around the world and are earning much more than they ever would as a transcriptionist.

And that's precisely why Filipino transcriptionists are at or above pay parity with American transcriptionists: Because THEY know what their skillset is worth, and if they aren't going to get paid what they are worth, they will say, "Fuck it. I'm going next door to this BPO who will pay me what I'm worth," and the Filipino transcription company gets left with a whole bunch of transcription files and nobody to type them.

And yeah, even at 4/5/6 cpl, those Filipino transcription companies ARE shutting down for a lack of transcriptionists. One of the reasons I talked to that transcriptionist in Manila 5 years ago was because I was exploring the possibility of opening my own transcription service there. I discovered it's not worth it because nobody can find Filipino transcriptionists willing to do the work even at 6 cents per line. So yeah: The transcription work that was originally sent overseas has been slowly coming BACK to America, just like everybody hoped. Why? Because amazingly, it turned out that Americans are the only people on earth who will do medical transcription for 4 cents per line.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)