Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Company Board Today's Top Viewed: I tried working for them 10+ years ago for their .. (Views: 36)

The working world has - changed so much

Posted: May 28th, 2020 - 9:49 pm In Reply to: just FYI like I said - answer

When you ask a question they can't answer and they get defensive it usually means they don't know.

Everything has become so compartmentalized. Management doesn't know what their teams use and do, software has so many bells and whistles specific to job descriptions that it's pointless for software providers to even create tutorials anymore. It has become very "on-the-job" (sink-or-swim) training. Some places have detailed instructions in writing and even then you have to have one-on-one "training" and heaven help you if you don't take screen shots and perfect written notes you can refer to on the fly. Especially with EHR systems that don't communicate with each other and you have to create links all day long between them. It's not just MT either, jobs in general are becoming like this. You practically have to be a programmer to navigate the BS. And all your coworkers are also stressed to the max for the same reasons. MT jobs that don't involve this tend to be smaller shops you might discover and contact by doing Google searches. My main employer pays well but is new-school/nightmare (see above). My two IC jobs are lovely straight typing. Might not last long.

We've reached the point where computers don't serve us, we're serving them, and if you want to work at home you have to be PC savvy (take courses? I did a complete web design course and I'm so glad; it didn't apply directly to MT but demystified a lot - anything helps).

On the other hand, I see a lot of temp-to-hire agencies like Robert Half and Kelly (great foot in the door for older workers) are looking for home-based workers (which they seldom did before, and are actually starting to offer higher-paid jobs, like for writers and proofreaders). I've had great experiences with both agencies over decades when my other work was slow.

One last thing: When I recently accepted a full-time job and informed my ICs I would be much less available, both begged me to stay or take as much work as I could, stating "You wouldn't believe how hard it is to find MTs who are experienced, accurate, high producers, and completely dependable." I thought that was interesting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)