Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

M*Modal

I left here 2 years ago - and made it work

Posted: Feb 23rd, 2020 - 2:43 am In Reply to: Odd. Never had one account before. Wish I did. - sleepymt

All I can say is if you don't have or want the option of working "outside the home," my experience over the past 10 years or so is find side MT jobs to supplement MM, decide if you like them and if not, and keep trying new ones. If it's a good fit and pays decently, knock yourself out to make them happy, and keep sending resumes, Everywhere. Don't be afraid of IC work but do take care of your taxes. IC should pay about $20/hr. If an IC job expects the moon and pays pennies, do it as long as you have to, find something else, and move on. I kept myself afloat with IC jobs in the past two years, working 12-hour days 7 days a week, got behind with taxes but knew I would eventually catch up. I made myself as valuable to my ICs as humanly possible, and they kept sending me more and more work. I sent hundreds of resumes in my (haha) free time. I tried two "outside" jobs that were complete nightmares. Somehow in the meantime I took a complete course in html/css web design. And then, just when I was about to give up on MT (or anything else) in despair, a job op showed up in my inbox (I subscribed to many job sites) with ops open in many states. I spent days applying to all of them. Good thing I did, because most ended up being NOT remote. But I described my skills well on my resume and I got their attention and, while the interview and hiring process took a couple of months, I got hired, have been there a month, it pays well, and I still have two side jobs that also pay well. I am still working 12-hour days (no complaints!), but the money is excellent and I am digging myself out. Well-paying MT jobs still exist but they take a lot of effort to find. And you had better be computer proficient because they are not easy and that's the reality now. MT skills are assumed; you must be able to learn and navigate complex software and troubleshoot to make a decent living. My advice is if you still want to be an MT, make job search a nearly full-time job, be sure you know Microsoft Word/Office inside and out, because most MT platforms are based on it, brush up on your PC skills by taking classes if you can, and include such in your resume, up front, in your Summary of Qualifications or whatever. I have been out of here 2 years but I still care about my former colleagues. Hope this helps (?)

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)