Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

I also work in a small city, county, state - that does NOT require

Posted: Nov 20th, 2019 - 12:14 pm In Reply to: CA -AB5 Worker status: employees and independent contractors. - Frustrated

a business license for ICs. I am an independent contractor and run my MT business as a sole proprietorship. I've never had more than 2 clients at a time, and my CPA files my tax return with the appropriate tax schedules for my business using the 1099s I get from the clients. A few years back I read, I think it was in the book "The Independent Medical Transcriptionist," that some clients/MTSO will accept a business card from you (easy enough to print your own these days) that states your company name, such as Mary Smith Medical Transcription and all the usual other information that goes on a business card. You can open up a checking account in your business name that you only use for business purposes. I know that is an extra expense but it can be written off. You can send them a copy of your check and/or a copy of your monthly statement. You could also run an inexpensive ad in weekly town/city newspaper advertising your services and use that also as proof of your being in business as a sole proprietor. Most of the time, they are satisfied with the fact that you truly are an independent contractor with this evidence and will not turn you in for treating you like an employee when you are really an IC. These companies are trying to protect themselves but what they want us to do is really overreach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)