Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

They miss us - sm

Posted: Aug 19th, 2018 - 7:56 am

Came across an interesting article this morning on NBC News on the shortage of doctors being created and why.  One thing that came up was EHRs.  My thoughts:  The trend toward cutting costs on medical transcription a decade ago is what turned them into glorified scribes.  All of that would be a nonissue if we still worked in hospitals/clinics as the medical professionals paid to take care of the documentation side of things.  Anyway, interesting article on why doctors are getting out of the field (NBC News, N Spector).  From the article:

"Some cite electronic health records (EHRs) as part of the reason - especially old school doctors who don't pride themselves on their computer skills.  New research...found that 59 percent think EHRs need a complete overhaul..."

And: "...'With the enforcement of EHRs, I had to spend more time as a scribe...'"

Name of the article is "The doctor is out?  Why physicians are leaving their practices to pursue other careers."

It addresses other issues besides EHRs, but obviously the EHR part is what interested me most.  I have health issues and a family with health issues so all told we see over a dozen physicians and midlevel providers, and it fits with what I've seen and heard from them the past few years.  One of them retired early last year.  His clinic at one time was one of the biggest dictation contracts in town and I knew the woman who managed it.  For years I would leave an appointment and see him in the nurse's area dictating.  Then they switched to a system where they all had laptops and typed during their appointments (and afterward, apparently).  He told me if he could still dictate, he'd probably still be working.  He said he loved and would miss the patients, it was the paperwork and the insurance and all the administrative type of work he had to do that finally drove him to early retirement.

Anyway, thought some of you might want to look at it.  Wish they'd bring us back.  I bet it would solve a big piece of the problem.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)