Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

**WHINE WARNING** - romiha

Posted: Dec 8th, 2017 - 11:42 am In Reply to: Other tips..... - Fool Me Twice

So, what if most of the tips provided in this thread are already being done - and now you are stuck with VR making 1/3 the pay?! How low can I go?

I have been an MT for 20+ years but over the past month, MTSO accounts have switched to VR and I am suffering big time.

Background:
In 2008 my son moved off to college and I sent him between $500 and $1000 a month. Of course back then I was doing quite well financially as an MT! $500-$1000 was still a bit of a struggle for me so I learned to be very frugal. (Son learned to be frugal as well because $500-$1000 wasn't much from his perspective, either, but now he's an electrical engineer!)

He graduated from college in 2012 and obviously I no longer send him $$ but I've kept my frugal ways ever since.

I have an annual "heat" and "AC" challenge - try to see how cold (or hot) will it get before I cave in? Last winter, only turned the heat on a couple of hours, and same this past summer with AC. Today it's in the upper 20s/low 30s outside, indoors is 59. Yes, I'm chilly but wearing layers and not cold enough yet to wave the white flag.

I'm an IC with my current MTSO and used to be able to earn enough $$ working 5 hours each morning 7 days a week until mid-November. I take care of my elderly parents in the afternoons. Trying to find a job-job will be a challenge for me with these hours - but continuing to work for this MTSO at 1/3 the pay as an IC will also be a challenge.

I'm almost 59 years old, so retirement at 62 isn't feasible financially - 66 and 10 months looks better but at age 70 would be ideal. Just not sure what to do for income over the next 8-10 years ...
ugh. sorry about the whine!

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)