Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Nuance

that only works if the hospital has their own software - HappyMTRobin

Posted: Jun 28th, 2017 - 4:06 pm In Reply to: It is unclear, but. . . - they may have missed SM

I work in-house for a hospital system. We lease Escription from Nuance. We've been at a standstill since yesterday morning.

Transcription is on the way out anyway. We had Epic introduced which cut the transcription by 70%. That was fine because we were able to bring back everything in house and not outsource to Nuance. They just started introducing Dragon Speak, though. That's the final death knell for transcription.

Dragon Speak is NOT affected by this worldwide outage, interestingly enough.

I have to send an apology to a poster whose typical screen name I don't remember. This poster on a number of occasions last year made several cogent arguments about front end transcription, i.e., Dragon, coming to the forefront and really wiping back end transcription, i.e. medical transcriptionists out completely. I always mentally pooh poohed those comments. No, transcription will always be needed in some fashion, I kept thinking to myself. I was a sweet summer child.

We as transcriptionists are concerned with format and how a document looks and expanding abbreviations and correct capitalization. You know what? No one in the hospital gives a flying rat's patootie about any of that. The notes I see that are entered directly by the physicians are scary. They're so full of abbreviations and misspellings, it's hard to decipher them sometimes. Don't even get me started on the physician who used the abbreviation d/c (which is one JCHO says not to use) and I really had to go back and read that record 3 times to figure out if she meant discontinue or discharge, it was worded that weirdly. In my employer's case, they were starting the Dragon implementation mostly with clinicians who did not already dictate with the hopeful focus that giving them this tool would make their notes a little more legible. If they're lazy inputting the info by hand, they're going to be lazy using Dragon.

I'm being long winded - I need more caffeine. I'm going to step down off my soap box now with one last remark. Make a Plan B. Whatever Plan B for you is, get one in place. Plan A of working for transcription much longer is going to peter out within 2 to 3 years, 5 max. Technology is going to take over and enable people to do things much, much easier. We need to be prepared and be able to move on to other things that will enable us to keep a roof over our heads.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)