Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

But it has to start somewhere. - Tired

Posted: Apr 14th, 2016 - 4:56 am In Reply to: Not the original poster - small MTSO

It has to start somewhere. Somebody has to refuse to work for such low wages. I understand where you are coming from and that if 11 cents is all you can get, 7 cents is all you can pay. It's my feeling that places like MM and Nuance are charging such rates to put little mom and pop MTSOs out of business so that they can get all of the work and then eventually charge what they want, all the while paying the MTs next to nothing. Somebody has to take a stand and say they won't work for that low of a wage any more. This, as you know, is a skilled occupation. We have to know stuff -- a lot of stuff, and know almost all medical specialties and the terminology that goes along with those, or at least most of them. I've heard of MTSOs who won't take people who used to be nurses, because they only have worked in one or two specialties -- not all of them (or most of them). I think you're right -- at 7 cents a line you definitely could make $15.00 an hour (now minimum wage in some cities, however, or it will be soon). We also have to know a LOT more than just medical specialties as well as the terminology, as you know. But here again, someone has to draw the line and say enough is enough. We bring more to the table in terms of knowledge and skills than do hamburger flippers, who are now demanding and in some cases getting $15.00 an hour.

My main concern would be coming on board at 7 cents a line for straight typing, but then your getting some hospital with Editscript (Escription) and all of a sudden my pay has gone down to 3.5 cents a line. If I do 2000 lines a day at 0.035 a line, that equates to $8.75 an hour. I cannot live on $8.75 an hour and in Washington, where I live, that's less than the state's minimum wage ($9.67 an hour). And $8.75 an hour is only $18,200 a year. For a job with these skills and knowledges, that is abominable. I was getting $18,200 a year in 1988. I just won't work for that in 2016 especially when I know I will never get a pay raise. And yes -- it IS all about the money. Again, somebody has to take a stand on these pay practices. I mean no offense. I believe as time goes on, all the work is going to go to India anyway because the value of 0.035 or 0.04 (and even 0.07) is just going to get smaller and smaller and those hospitals who are addicted to cheap labor but who don't want their work going to India are going to have no choice in the matter. I doubt that they will pay a better line rate. And I think coding is going to go the same way. Just my opinion, that's all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)