Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Nuance

I took my SS at full retirement age of 66, but - for me that was still "early". (SM)

Posted: Mar 5th, 2016 - 2:53 pm In Reply to: For those of you that have taken early retirement - do you have any

The original plan had been to work well into my 70s, and beyond if I was able. I was going to wait until age 70 to start collecting SS and tapping into my 401K.

Unfortunately all the MTs at my last job - a good-paying inhouse job - were canned in favor of a point-n-clik program. Having finally escaped a horrible MTSO to get that inhouse job, there was just no way in Hades I was going to go back to that sweatshop type of work, so I looked for work in other fields. Even at jobs where my MT work gave me an edge, no one seemed to be interested in me because of my age. (They were all 'excited to meet me' over the phone, but when I walked in for an interview, and they saw I wasn't 26, I could tell that the interviews were shifting gears from 'we're interested' to 'how soon can we get on to the next applicant?'

So, I took my Social Security, and I couldn't be HAPPIER! The difference in payout between retiring at 66 and 70 wasn't enough to justify 4 more years of no income. What I get now is enough to live on AND put some money aside each month in savings. I now take life at my own pace, do what I WANT to do every day, instead of what I HAVE to do, and am loving every minute of it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)