Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Coding / Medical Billing

Not exactly - Coder

Posted: Feb 11th, 2016 - 5:54 pm In Reply to: LOL - Laugh away

That isn't entirely correct. Employers typically only know the names of programs in their community. They might not like those programs regardless of whom they're affiliated with. Many employers feel that both the AAPC and AHIMA curriculums are inadequate. There are many programs using the "canned" AAPC curriculum that employers do not know about. AHIMA does not provide a "canned" curriculum at all. That may come as a surprise to you, but it is true. Their programs range from their own coding "basics" course which does not meet the requirements for either the CCS or the CCS-P exams to courses that only teach to the CCA.

Taking one of those courses is only meaningful if you try to get a job right out of school with no credential or just the CCA. As you have a CPC and-or a CCS, employers don't really care what school you went to.

I was hired before I finished Andrews and well before I had a chance to take a certification exam, based on the list of college-level courses that I took through Andrews and their textbooks. It was obviously a reputable, quality course based on that. It contains four times the material in the AAPC courses and met or exceeded what is taught in AHIMA programs.

Since then, after getting my credentials, no employer has ever looked at or even asked about what school I attended.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)