Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Nuance

Sadly, I have to agree, that despite being awful - not much better out there

Posted: Oct 11th, 2015 - 12:06 pm In Reply to: Nuance.. Not so bad IMO - ss

It's really a sad commentary on our industry, but I too have been searching for a better job for years, have had a succession of part time ones in addition to part time with Nuance, and they invariably pay less, if appreciate you more.

Unfortunately, I am not in this for pats on the head and Nuance pay is low enough thank you very much, so I have finally put all my eggs in the Nuance basket and, while kind of scary, I feel if they ever do decide to let staff go at least my UI would be better than working part time. It is very stressful to try to work two jobs, it seems like whenever I had an opportunity to get OT or even catch up with Nuance, invariably that was when my other job had a scheduled shift, and most other jobs actually have work for you when you have a scheduled shift, believe it or not, otherwise they wouldn't have hired you! Also, nowadays every part time job seems to have no PTO accrual, no benefits, etc., so if you can't make decent money it's really not worth the extra hours above and beyond a full time job, at least I found that.

I still make more with Nuance than I could in any other outside job in my economically depressed rust belt area per hour, PLUS there would be the costs of commuting and clothes and such, so....

I agree that the grid is better $-wise for me (usually) and also that there actually seems to be enough work for a full shift finally - however, the dictation DOES seem to be mostly ISR rejects (ISR can barely make more sense of them than I can usually) so mostly bad dictators, but there must be some others who just don't want to go to the EHR so I thank them for resisting it because there are still some decent dictators left. I consider it the equivalent of me refusing to use an automated check out machine and I tip my proverbial hat to these dictators who are actually doing us a big favor while they are still able to.

The biggest issue for me is looking at email before my shift, which I must force myself to do. They made a mistake with the web based email, they should have kept it as something you could keep open and look at the messages as they come in during your shift. Let's face it, who wants to read email when it might be boobytrapped with a FIESA nastygram? It's a loathesome feeling, something no job should inflict on anyone.

I only go in FIESA when I get big enough errors to have to sign off now. If I know they got me rightfully I just go in and do the mea culpa thing, which I also hate because basically I am saying, "Yes, dock my pay for making a mistake, thank you," which every cell in my body resists in principle.

Other than that, I just ignore FIESA and download updated specs through email alerts from my TSM.

Yeah, I guess contentment is something. Not much, but something. I have to think if I were an employer I would want employees who feel valued, excited, proud, but as many have pointed out we are not really Nuance employees, just a line item on their budget to be cut as much as possible to cut costs and impress shareholders.

ADVERTISEMENT

Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)