A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

mid - must it be written with another word or can it be separate or hyphenated? - mel

Posted: Mar 24, 2013

midabdomen or mid abdomen - which would be correct or is either equally correct?

prefixes - research

[ In Reply To ..]
Do not use a hyphen after common prefixes except when they precede a proper noun, a capitalized word, or an abbreviation, page 134 BOS 3 (mid is included in the list)

examples:
antimicrobial
posttraumatic
overproduction
comorbidity
preoperative
perimenopausal

I could not find a hard rule about the use of a space after the use of a prefix.

Mid can stand alone or serve as a prefix..sm - Old Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
BOS-2, page 253.
When used as a prefix, mid is usually connected to the word element without a hyphen, but there are the usual exceptions.

midabdominal mass
midday
midlung field
right midlung
mid to lower lung fields
midpalmar crease
mid and distal palmar creases
mid-Atlantic
mid-90s

I would not hypenate or combine this one - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
It sounds like the dictator is using the word "mid" as an truncated form of the word middle, i.e upper abdomen, mid abdomen and lower abdomen.

Similar Messages:

Using Word Separate But Similtaneously With Word Client 8
Aug 01, 2012

I have just started working in Dictaphone Word Client.  I have Word 2003.  When I open the Word Client it takes my own Word "hostage" and I cannot use it for other things.  Is there a way to separate the two, so that I can still use my Word when I need to while still working in Word Client? ...

Word Help -- Pro Time --so Is It Protime All One Word, Or Space Like Pro Time, Or Hyphenated Pro-tim
Jun 07, 2011

Protime -- how is this correctly written? Pro-time; pro time; Protime -- having a brain fart and can not remember which is acceptable. ...

Transtech 2 Separate W2s?
Jan 31, 2011

I received one from Venture Resource but I know I made more than that last year at Transtech, are we getting 2 W2s for them from different companies?  Thanks. ...

Zowie .. I Don't Mind Testing For A Job, But I Have Had To Do Three Separate Log Ins And Sm
Feb 08, 2011

3 separate sets of screening and transcription tests on MT test ... seems a bit excessive!  I hope it is worth it.  We'll see ... ...

I Work For Two Separate Hospitals That Use DQS And I Dont Know How
Jan 01, 2014

to move my expanders into the second hospital on DQS from the first one. ...

MM Audits: Since When Is It An Error To Use A Comma To Separate
Nov 12, 2014

two independent clauses?!  I get it that it's now acceptable to just omit the comma so that people don't have to learn the punctuation rules or make an extra keystroke just for a comma, but if you feel like going out of your way to do it correctly, how on earth is it an error....?  Where do they get these auditors? ...

Has Anyone Gotten Their Regular Monthly Bonus As A Separate Check IF It Were Over $100?
Oct 26, 2009

Down below someone said it only comes as a separate check if it is over $100. Mine have always been in the 120 to 150 range and I have gotten a separate check.  But for the past 2 months, nothing.   CCM has no idea what is up.  Just wondering if anyone's bonus if over $100 came, as usual, as a separate check.   TIA ...

Santyl And SensiCare Are Two Separate Things, Correct?
Dec 01, 2009

I have a wound care doctor that dictates them both as if they are one thing. For example:  We will continue Santyl SensiCare and start ampicillin... or He has done well on the Santyl SensiCare. He's a great dictator, but he dictates as if these two wound treatments are essentially one treatment and so now I'm questioning myself. ...

Is Through And Through Hyphenated Ever? 
Jan 12, 2010

Is through and through hyphenated ever?    Ex:  . . . through-and-through fracture Ex:  . . . the defect to be through and through. Appreciate any and all help. ...

Hyphenated Last Name
Jul 02, 2012

If a physician's last name is hyphenated, such as Alice Jones-Brown, how would one do the initial's stating who dictated?  Would it be Dajb or Dab?  Thanks! ...

Hyphenated??
Jul 22, 2012

Is ST-segment changes hyphenated because it's an adjective, rather than not hyphenating ST segment when it's used as a noun?  Thanks ...

DB HL, How Is It Written?
Jul 22, 2010

How would dB HL be written? dBHL, db HL, DBHL? I'm dong an audiology report and can't verify this. ...

Has Anyone Ever Written To Any Of These
Apr 03, 2012

offering 3 cpl for editing and letting them know what you think of that?  I saw an ad from TTD offering 3 cpl but then stating you can make excellent line counts because the dictators are so clear.  LOL  I would love to email them and tell them they should be ashamed of themselves.  ...

Written By Every MT Who Really Had Something To Say.
Sep 24, 2012

There is a profession well hidden from the world, but involves your everyday care when you go to see your doctor. The skill is called transcription and a transcriptionist is the person trained to prepare a dictated voice recording from your medical provider into a legal document that goes into your medical record. When transcription became a skilled job back in the early 1960-1970s, the reports were typed on a manual typewriter, and then progressed onto the electric typewriter, and on to com ...

Is Non-healing Hyphenated?
Feb 15, 2010

x ...

Is C Loop Hyphenated?
Aug 05, 2010

Doctor dictates:  "...punctate ulcers in the duodenal bowel and C loop." Is "C loop" hyphenated? ...

Hyphenated Words
Jan 11, 2011

Is nonformulary hyphenated or not.  I am finding it both ways.  Unable to find a good reference point. ...

Hyphenated Name Or Not? Ortho
Jun 05, 2012

I know most names are hyphenated because they're usually named after more than one person, but there are exceptions such a Denis Browne or Robert Jones (splint) when it's just one person's first and last names. I am transcribing an op report in Ortho for a kid with a Salter-Harris fracture (That one I know - Salter-Harris isn't the question.), but the fragment is called a *Thurston Holland* or *Thurston-Holland* fragment. When I google it, I can find it both ways, also in re ...

Written Warning
Sep 12, 2013

If you have had a written warning, is there something you are supposed to sign? I have seen people getting written up and talking about signing, but I was never told to sign anything in Ultipro. And now it makes me wonder if I was written up at all or just told another lie! ...

Post Written By SR
Nov 30, 2013

hello. I'm posting this using Google speech recognition. Its a program on my android tablet. I never noticed it was here before. It isn't dragon. It isn't capital dragon. Well I guess I can't figure out how to make the capital letter show up, but I think if I found the instructions I probably could. If this tablet computer program works this well for me now, you can imagine how well front end speech recognition works for doctors and hospitals. Sure, there are some minor typos ...

Hyphenated Words Question Please
Jan 20, 2015

mild to moderate artery stenosis mid to distal LAD, etc... Do you all put hyphens to make it mild-to-moderate? mid-to-distal? ...

Poorly Written Article, But
Nov 23, 2011

This article is very poorly (almost badly) written, but it makes you think - if the US is going to investigate Alibaba for wanting to own Yahoo, then why not other companies, like MQ that is buying up American MT companies at a rapid pace.  ...

I Made 99% On My Audit. Will I Get Written Up?
Dec 02, 2012

Usually I get a higher score. but I have a feeling I will be hearing from my boss because I only made 99% this time. ...

How Is Prescription For BIPap Written
Dec 15, 2012

Patient has ALS with significant respiratory involvement.  Prescription was for BiPap at 8 04 pressure.  How should this be written?  Is it 804, 8:04 or some other way these prescriptions are written? Thanks for your help. ...

Should This Be Hyphenated? Cannulated-titanium Screws
May 24, 2010

"insertion of 3 cannulated titanium screws".  Should cannulated titanium be hyphenated?   Thanks. ...

Procedure: LeFort One Or 1, 2P Osteotomy. How Is That Written?? Nm
Feb 17, 2010

xx ...

Allergies Written As Loridine And Fofranil.
Feb 06, 2012

Any help figuring these 2 allergies out?  I get a copy of history and physical sheet from the one PA because he has such a terrible time with meds, allergies, etc. These 2 allergies are written like this on sheet.  The one, Fofranil, is a written scribble literally!!  Thanks for any help!  Patient with PMH of reflux, hypothyroidism, paroxysmal atrial tachycardia, endocarditis, vitamin D deficiency, arrhythmia, double vision, sinusitis, irregular heartbeat and depression.  ...

Softscript - Passed The First Written Test
May 20, 2014

I passed the first written test. I have noted some remarks about SS but nothing current. I am just needing PT. Would anyone want to share any comments about SS? This business is not what it used to be, but at least of all resumes I have sent out at least they have replied. Next is possibly up to a 2-hour interview, which I have never done before. I know everyone has their own opinions and experiences too, but right now I am needing a job good or bad. Appreciate any thoughts. ...

Amniotic Fluid Index, How Is It Written?
Jan 13, 2015

As result biophysical profile is performed with an amniotic fluid index of 1.75+3.00+ 3.5 cm. As result biophysical profile is performed with an amniotic fluid index of 1.75+3.00+ 3.5 cm.    Is this correct or should the + signs be written out as 1.75 plus 3.00 plus 3.5 cm. TIA ...

Any Part Of Fine Needle Aspiration Hyphenated?
Aug 31, 2010

I just took a practice test, and it asked this question of the following sentence, is the sentence below punctuated correctly? Fine needle aspiration revealed no abnormalities.  The answer on the test was false.  Is any part of fine needle aspiration hyphenated?  Help? ...