A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Hyphenated words - mztexteditor

Posted: Jan 11, 2011

Is nonformulary hyphenated or not.  I am finding it both ways.  Unable to find a good reference point.

nonformulary - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Prefixes are generally meant to be attached to the word.

I prefer nonformulary without the hyphen, but the other way isn't wrong.

If you google "nonformulary" you can find some reference points.

Hyphenated words...sm - GT

[ In Reply To ..]
There may be other opinions but, from what I was taught, the rule of thumb I tend to follow is that words such as nonformulary would not be hyphenated but words such as re-injury would be. Where 2 vowels combine, you add a hyphen to avoid confusion. There is no need when 2 consonants combine. This is just what I was taught many years ago. : )

Similar Messages:

Hyphenated Words Question Please
Jan 20, 2015

mild to moderate artery stenosis mid to distal LAD, etc... Do you all put hyphens to make it mild-to-moderate? mid-to-distal? ...

Is Through And Through Hyphenated Ever? 
Jan 12, 2010

Is through and through hyphenated ever?    Ex:  . . . through-and-through fracture Ex:  . . . the defect to be through and through. Appreciate any and all help. ...

Hyphenated Last Name
Jul 02, 2012

If a physician's last name is hyphenated, such as Alice Jones-Brown, how would one do the initial's stating who dictated?  Would it be Dajb or Dab?  Thanks! ...

Hyphenated??
Jul 22, 2012

Is ST-segment changes hyphenated because it's an adjective, rather than not hyphenating ST segment when it's used as a noun?  Thanks ...

Is Non-healing Hyphenated?
Feb 15, 2010

x ...

Is C Loop Hyphenated?
Aug 05, 2010

Doctor dictates:  "...punctate ulcers in the duodenal bowel and C loop." Is "C loop" hyphenated? ...

Hyphenated Name Or Not? Ortho
Jun 05, 2012

I know most names are hyphenated because they're usually named after more than one person, but there are exceptions such a Denis Browne or Robert Jones (splint) when it's just one person's first and last names. I am transcribing an op report in Ortho for a kid with a Salter-Harris fracture (That one I know - Salter-Harris isn't the question.), but the fragment is called a *Thurston Holland* or *Thurston-Holland* fragment. When I google it, I can find it both ways, also in re ...

Should This Be Hyphenated? Cannulated-titanium Screws
May 24, 2010

"insertion of 3 cannulated titanium screws".  Should cannulated titanium be hyphenated?   Thanks. ...

Mid - Must It Be Written With Another Word Or Can It Be Separate Or Hyphenated?
Mar 24, 2013

midabdomen or mid abdomen - which would be correct or is either equally correct? ...

Any Part Of Fine Needle Aspiration Hyphenated?
Aug 31, 2010

I just took a practice test, and it asked this question of the following sentence, is the sentence below punctuated correctly? Fine needle aspiration revealed no abnormalities.  The answer on the test was false.  Is any part of fine needle aspiration hyphenated?  Help? ...

Insulin - Should sliding Scale Insulin Be Hyphenated?
Jun 16, 2010

Should sliding scale insulin be hyphenated? ...

Is "sugar Tong" Hyphenated?
Feb 14, 2011

Thank you. ...

Is Right Handed Or Left Handed Hyphenated
Dec 06, 2009

Is Right handed or left handed hyphenated. I can't seem to locate any documentation. Thanks ...

Is "rechallenging" Hyphenated?
Jun 12, 2010

x ...

? On Words
Oct 16, 2009

I am wondering on clean void urine culture, do I need to put a slash in between clean and void? Then when I have to write grade II, do I capitalize the word Grade? I have this sentence I am trying to get too. Conization was repeated and showed benign e_____ cervical p_______? The words start with them but I can not find anything, the last word sounds like polarization? If anybody has a isea, that will help. Here is another on too, The pateint was _____ and fever resolved? It sounds like defe ...

Need Two Words Please
Oct 19, 2009

This is a Op Note for a AAA surgery . ..    1.  . . we used the glide catheter to exchange the Terumo wires to the s/l "lun-di-cris" wires.   2.  We were able to pass a 16 sheath on the right and had to bare back the left limb using an s/l "An-u-rex" 16 x 115 mm contralateral limb.   ...

I Am So Sorry But I Have 2 Words...
Oct 20, 2009

does not have a history of migraines, tics, or 'paramyoconus' no varus or valgus angulation of the 'os calculus' ...

Need Help With 2 More Words
Dec 10, 2009

s/l rim plassage-type procedure (for Hill-Sachs lesion) s/l Hill-Sachs lesion on his ray vast in MRI findings   "Ray vast" and "rim plassage" are the words that I can't figure out. My orthbook hasn't arrives yet so I'm struggling to figure out what these words are. Any help you can offer is much appreciated. ...

Words Help Please
Jan 04, 2010

CHEST: There is exclusive _____ coronary discomfort withmyofascial trigger point and two infrascapular point.The first word for the first blank it sound like pulseso. If you can help. I want to say thanks in advance. I have slow her voice downand I am still unable to figure what she is saying. Oh, I guess that the reasonI do not know what she is saying is because she have an accent. Love andpeace. ...

ENT Words
Apr 30, 2010

I have a word I just can't get.  context is:  bilateral inferior turbinates were very large all the way back to the s/l culinae?  no clue, please help.  thanks. ...

What Are These Words!
May 27, 2010

Patient denies any melena changing bowel habits. Medicature(???- no clue what that would be) hematemesis. Patient denies any syncope, vertigo, hemiparesis or parastitious( ????-no such word found, but I am hearing that way) except for the feeling of numbness in his feet. Please help! ...

What Are The 2 Words?
Jun 03, 2010

Complete blood count (CBC) which revealed white blood count of 12,400 with 45 poly's, 12 fans (not able to make out the word), 32 lymphs, 5 monos and 6 atypical lymphs. Stool cultures were negative. The Rotosan (unable to make out the word) was still pending at this time. Please help. ...

OB/GYN Words
Aug 19, 2010

I have little experience in OB/GYN but I find myself having to type a couple tonight.  Procedure:  D&C Word sounds like "Owl" Stirrups and "retro" speculum was used. (Is there a common type used because I could be hearing this "retro completely wrong since he is speeding through it.) Thanks for any feedback fellow MT's!  ...

Two Words
Sep 18, 2010

What in the world do you think this is?  Any help would be appreciated!!   On S/L propap  day no. 1 the patient was without complaints.  The patient suddenly became confused, agitated, and delusional.  Thanks ...

3 Little Words
Sep 26, 2010

3 words I cannot for the life of me figure out!!!  Any help would be appreidated A (s/l gore disease) that show (s/l mememorially) of normal appearance.  Tubules are not remarkable.  Interstitial tissue showed no noteworthy change.  (s/l Pelbees) are not remarkable.Thanks in advance ...

Help With Words
Mar 17, 2011

I am doing a dictation report in Urology and in the list of impressions, the doctors dictates: Hyponatremia, probably secondary to hyperglycemia. (sounds like he says "transficate" artificial and "transficies" amd Zarololyn. These words beginning with "t" have me stumped and in all my time of transcribing, cannot comprehend what is actually being dictated relating to the condition. Can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance. ...

New Words
Sep 16, 2011

Just a comment . . . if doctors are going to just make up their own words, they should spell them for us.  Who's with me? ...

No Words Necessary
Dec 14, 2011

The numbers speak for themselves: 2010:  $31,960.00 2011, year to date:  $14,368.00   WTF ...

Need Help On 2 Words, Please....
Jan 17, 2012

Doctor dictates: 1.  I showed the patient (s/l Drebbit's) slide on model of difficulty with paralimbic function and difficulty with hot cognition. 2.  He does not have a (s/l visual fold) deformity in the small joints of the hands. Thank you so very much for your help!!  ...

War On Words
Mar 30, 2012

DICTATED:  Checked the patient's glucose meter ASR:  Clicked patient's cocoa smear. New lab test??? LOL ...