A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

The patient was _____ from anesthesia and taken..... - Christine

Posted: Apr 12, 2013

You know most dictators say this at the end of an operative report- "The patient was (awoke, awaken?) from anesthesia and taken to the recovery room in stable condition." I would like to know once and for all what is the correct word to use- awoke, awaken or something else???

Thanks, Christine Cool

Awoke/awakened. - LDWM10

[ In Reply To ..]
Found this on a grammar site: "Awoke" implies that she woke up herself. "Was awakened" implies that she woke due to some external stimulus. So if there's a "was," guess it would be awakened. :)

Correct word - Nature

[ In Reply To ..]
I type what the physician says. I have one physician who says awoken, and that is what I type.

I often wonder if what they're saying.... - (see message)

[ In Reply To ..]
....might be, "The patient was woken from anesthesia," where it could SOUND LIKE they're saying, "....was awoken from...." If you say these two sentences out loud, especially if you rattle it off like so many of them do, it's very hard to discern between them.

Like the poster above, I type whichever word the doctor says. I figure if they're not using the technically proper word form, they must think it sounds correct to their ear; it must be what they're used to saying, and if I change it, my "correct" word is going to look/sound funny to them.

awaken is present tense - cannot be used with "was" - (!)

[ In Reply To ..]
you can say "she was awakenED", or "she awoke". This is not so much about dictating as it is about just plain English.

awoken/awakened - Siouxzq

[ In Reply To ..]
I disagree; "was awakened" is perfectly acceptable.

You obviously didn't read her message - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
She said inside that you can say "was awakened." Sigh.

use past tense... - mtic

[ In Reply To ..]
woke, awoke, awakened, or woke up

awoken/awakened - Siouxzq

[ In Reply To ..]
From my research, they are interchangeable. Pick one and stick with it. I prefer "awakened" because it just sounds more "right" to me.

The correct word is whatever - the doctor dictates

[ In Reply To ..]
It doesn't matter what word is used, it doesn't change the meaning. Just put what he says.

Don't make your job more difficult by nitpicking these trivialities.

While that's great advice... - Des

[ In Reply To ..]
...some MTs struggle with this because their QA nitpicks them into it. I've seen on this board, and experienced myself, QAs who just pick on every little thing. Some will say "type what is dictated," and others will say "the MT should've corrected it." It's never consistent.

true, but usually even the strictist verbatim accounts - allow grammar corrections

[ In Reply To ..]
If QA does ding for correcting TO proper grammar, I would think MT would have a good leg to stand on.

but what a shame we are reduced to stressing over changing to proper grammar, not rephrasing, not punctuation, just plain, grammar book-sourced grammar.

In my hospital days - Old old old MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I observed on more than one occasion an MD coming down to medical records and making a fuss that he "did not say that," even when he did. So my advice is to correct grammatical errors, even the verbatim doctors.

thank you - Christine

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you everyone for your input. This has been most helpful!

Christine :-)

Similar Messages:

Need Help-Patient Undergoing _____ Atrial Flutter?
Nov 02, 2011

I'm stuck on one of my assigments for a Holter Monitor Reading. All I can hear is "this is a 48-year-old patient undergoing _____ atrial flutter." It sounds like he is saying "equito" something, but he's talking so fast I really have no clue. Any ideas? Thanks! ...

The Patient Was Awoken From Anesthesia Or Awakened? Have Had Both Dictated. NM
Feb 28, 2014

nm ...

Review Of Systems - No Pain To Fist Palpation Over The _____ _____ Or Spinous Process
Jan 08, 2013

BACK: No pain to fist palpation over the _____ _____ or spinous process On this one it sounds like he is saying "costal fistulae"??? Any thoughts? ...

Doctor States "surgery Under MAC Anesthesia." Is Anesthesia Redundant As MAC Is Monitored
Oct 17, 2009

x ...

Pt Denies Saddle Anesthesia Or "sandals" Anesthesia.
Aug 09, 2011

:) ...

Is There Such A Thing As "excellent Anesthesia" Or "exelon Anesthesia"
May 16, 2010

Is there such a thing as "excellent anesthesia" or "exelon anesthesia". My dictation sure sounds like one of those but can't seem to find these terms. Any help would be great. Thanks   ...

Will Order _____ Legionella
Jan 15, 2010

Dictator says:  I will order ____ legionella.  It sounds like for-seat-um legionella. ...

Cognitively _____ Intact.
Jan 31, 2010

Dr. says "Cognitively _____ly intact"  It definitely ends in "ly" but i cannot tell what she is saying.  (Psychology report) ...

Possible _____ Exertion Syndrome
Sep 07, 2010

Trying to figure out what the doctor is saying....possible ______ exertion syndrome.Can you help me out? ...

_____ Continentals Open?
Nov 24, 2011

This is part of the physical exam and I can't tell if she is saying "Head" as a topic or "Had" and then something that sounds like "entry  or possibly adrenal continentals open?"  I think she is referring to the eyes but can't figure out what she is saying.  Any suggestions?  Thanks! ...

Dementia Due To _____ Myopathy
Jul 24, 2014

Dictated:  He has a known severe dementia due to s/l ANN-juh-lick myopathy, with ongoing worsening progressive symptoms.   Any suggestions?  Thanks! ...

_____ Oil 4 Grams Daily.
Dec 30, 2014

Hyperlipidemia/hypertriglyceridemia.  Triglycerides are higher on the Zetia.  He is also noticing side effects; therefore, Zetia was discontinued.  Discussed the correlation between the fish oil and prostate cancer.  We will switch to _____ oil 4 grams daily.  This word definitely starts with a C or a K and it is a short word, but I cannot figure out what other oil supplementation is used for hyperlipidemia.  Help please.   ...

_____ Speech Index Test
Jun 25, 2010

This is a psych report talking about different test scores.  The doc says "_____ Speech Index test score is 68."  I cannot tell at all what she is saying, but i think it starts with a "P." ...

_____ And Micronor (sounds Like Ellis Or LS)
Feb 27, 2011

started new account for fertility account.  doctor refers to a fertility drug Micronor and always says "ellis and Micronor".  Any help would be appreciated. ...

Uterus Sounded To _____ Sound
Feb 10, 2014

This one dictator keeps saying this and I cannot find it anywhere.  It sounds like the uterus was then sounded to Fostix/Caustix/Bostix sound??? and sounded to 6 cm.  Any ideas?  Thx ...

Percutaneous Pinning Use _____ S/l Gadling Gun To Place Pin
Nov 17, 2013

sounds like gadling gun. Op Note:  A 2-cm incision was made on the lateral aspect of his femur.  K-wire was introduced at the calcar midshaft.  This was checked in both AP and lateral, appeared to be correct.  _____ gun was used to place 2 other pins and they were sized appropriately and drill was used to overdrill the lateral cortex.  Appropriate size screws were placed.  I looked at an old report this "gun" was also used to place K-wires. ...

A 7-French _____ Catheter Was Passed For Right Heart Catheterization.
Apr 06, 2011

Hi Everyone, a 7-French _____ catheter was passed for right heart catheterization. Sounds like "hoojalico" Thnx ...

Debridement Of Maxillary Sinus Using Suction And _____ Instruments?
Nov 08, 2011

Blank sounds like tuchogie or tuckogie.  Any suggestions?  Thanks! ...

Psych Word - Affect Is Labile And _____ (S/L Sil-lian)
Dec 17, 2011

Affect is labile and _____ (S/L sil-lian).  She is also manipulative.  Any ideas?    ...

Radiology Help: Pelvis X-ray Shows Some Abnormality (s/l Lie)_____ Of Femur
Jul 28, 2013

Thanks ...

Found To Have A Ruptured Appendix With _____ Perforation And Peritonitis
Feb 06, 2014

TYIA! ...found to have a ruptured appendix with _____ perforation and peritonitis ...

MAC Anesthesia
Jul 10, 2014

What does MAC stand for? I thought it was monitored anesthesia care but I saw something else when googling -- minimal something. Thanks for your help. ...

Anesthesia GAK/GAC?
Mar 12, 2015

The doctor says, anesthesia, GAK/GAC?, 0.5% Marcaine with IV sedation.  I can't verify the word GAK/GAC?  Help please, and thanks in advance.  ...

Sounds Like TPT Under Anesthesia????
Oct 14, 2009

TBT or TPT.....hard to hear what she is saying but it is under Anesthesia.... ...

Anesthesia Question Help Please
Apr 01, 2010

This is an operative report for a vein graft procedure: Under ultrasound guidance, [?] anesthesia was injected along the course of the saphenous vein.  Again, a total of 300 cc of [?] anesthesia was utilized.  s/l "tamessin", all I could find was temazin, a cold medicine?? Seems like it should be something else.  TIA ...

GAV And MET Dental Anesthesia?
Apr 08, 2010

Hello...I have a dental procedure under anesthesia....Sounds like she's saying the anesthesia is "G A V and met" - Is GAV and MET correct? ...

S/l Propifithol Anesthesia
Apr 21, 2010

He was seen in the emergency room and under s/l propoferol anesthesia had a closed reduction. tia. ...

Type Of Anesthesia?
May 04, 2010

Has anyone heard of an anesthesia (type or drug) that sounds like "elemania" anesthesia? This doctor has said it twice and it sounds the same each time...kind of run together, but I can't find anything close to it anywhere. ...

Anesthesia Word?
May 26, 2010

The anesthetist was able to bring the sats back up with some s/l babneic? ...

Anesthesia Word
Aug 25, 2010

s/l de-mess-ence ? under local standby anesthesia with d_____ ...