A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Grammar - quick reference that simplifies the usage of the prefix intra versus inter - Lynn

Posted: Sep 12, 2010

Does anyone have a cheat sheet or a quick reference that simplifies the usage of the prefix intra versus inter.  Thank you in advance....!

intra = within, inter = between - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
for example, intrastate means activities that take place within your own state. Interstate means activities that take place between your state and other states.

Interatrial septum is the septum between the atria. Intraatrial clot is a clot within the atrium.

Troubleshooting - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
One thing that may help (but not always) is if there is only 1 part of the anatomy, there can't be inter. In other words, you can't have intercranial, because there is only one cranium. It would have to be intracranial. You can't have interabdominal, because there is only 1 abdomen.

There are 2 scapulae, so that could be tough. You would have to decide if the problem was just within 1 of the scapulae (inter), or in between both scapulae (intra.)

scapular example is backwards - please see message

[ In Reply To ..]
The example using scapulae is incorrect:

BETWEEN the scapulae is inTERscapular.

Intra means within.
Inter means between.

I Know - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I can't delete or fix my message, thought I had typed a password, but it's not letting me back in. :(

Ignore Above, Read This - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry, I saw that error, but I can't get in to edit, sorry. I usually type a password just in case, not sure what happened here.

If 1 scapula, then intra, if between both, then inter.

intra vs inter - OLD MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Did you get an answer? I can scan/email a doc. Let me know

Grammar Question - Lynn

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes...Thanks Much. I think I've got it figured out. You guys are great!

Similar Messages:

A Question Of Grammar/usage
Sep 14, 2011

This has been bugging me for some time.  It's small, but like a thorn in my side.   When a doc is dictating and fails to use the article "of", should you insert it?  For example:  The patient remains off of antibiotic therapy.   The patient tells me she is of off oxygen therapy during the day.  All of the ulcer sites have improved The patient remains off (of) antibiotic therapy.  The patient tells me she is off (of) oxygen therapy during the day.& ...

Quick Grammar Question - Two Plurals In A Row?
Dec 03, 2010

this doesn't sound right to me, but I can't think of the correct way to type this sentence: ....until diagnostic tests results are complete.... "tests results" doesn't look right. Dictator is referring to multiple tests, not "test's results". I am not sure... any help appreciated. ...

Sounds Like Intra-luminary Or Intra-abdominal Solution
Jul 09, 2013

Hello: I have started typing for a new physician who has joined our hospital staff. He is a general surgeon. He usually does EGDs and colonoscopies or hernia repair surgeries. He keeps saying what sounds like intra-luminary or intra-abdominal solution near the end of the report. I am not sure, but has anyone heard of this? Example: The intra-luminary or intra-abdominal solution was removed at the end of the procedure. Thanks for any help in advance. :)   ...

Learning Medical Prefix's And Such
Jan 26, 2010

Does anyone have any advice on how to remember all these prefix's-roots and such? thanks ...

Intra-pal-pupil??
Apr 21, 2011

OD is doing exam on eye. He says . .. . "Conjunctiva quiet, cornea faint, epithlial irrgularity in the s/l "intra-pal-pupil" area." Help if you can please.  Thanks! ...

Vasectomy - S/l Inter...... Segment
Jun 13, 2015

Vasectomy procedure note.   "Mucosa cautery was performed on both the testicular and abdominal end after cutting out an inter----- segment."   and  "then proceeded to perform mucosal cautery on both the testicular and then the abdominal end after cutting out the inter--- segment." Two different files, same _____ in both.  Help! ...

Has Some S/l Inter Or Interior Topic Bone Ventrally
Sep 04, 2011

has some s/l inter or interior topic bone ventrally ...

Context Usage
Dec 04, 2009

Doctor states in labs "mucous membranes actually are somewhat dry." Should that be under examination? ...

Hyphen Usage Or Not
Nov 22, 2010

I am transcribing a report for orthopedic surgery. What is the correct way to transcribe chondromalacia grading? Is it grage 1 to 2 or grade 1-2 changes? I have myself confused as teachers always said in school that you use "to or through with numbers.  Thanks ...

Usage Of Nonicteric
Jul 01, 2012

Have one dictator who always uses sclerae nonicteric.  Is nonicteric acceptable these days?  Any feedback appreciated. ...

Apostrophe Usage
Dec 31, 2013

I need some advice on correct use of the apostrophe:OB ultrasounds at 8 and 20 weeks were normal.  (I think this is correct, no apostrophe needed)Pregnancy is at 38 weeks 2 days' gestation.  (I think this is correct)Full-term pregnancy at 38-3/7 weeks.  (I think this is correct, no apostrophe needed) ...

Data Usage
Feb 12, 2015

Does anyone use a Verizon connection? Do you know data usage for an 8 hour day? I do not have cable where I live. I currently use a Verizon air card that the hospital I'm employed by maintains. We got out sourced and now I need to set up my own connection and pay for it. However,  no one can tell me data usage so I can tell if the new job offered is going to be worth the expense.  ...

Word Usage
Apr 29, 2015

Which is correct?  No evidence of masses or tumors were felt.   OR No evidence of masses or tumors was felt.    I keep getting mixed up.  I want to say it is "were", but I actually think it is probably "was."  Help.   ...

Any Articles About Productivity Loss From EMR And VR Usage
May 24, 2011

Does anyone have any links to articles that explain the loss in productivity for physicians and their offices because they are wasting time with EHR/EMR's typing their own notes or spending way too much time editing their own voice recognition notes when they could be seeing more patients?  I have lost a few clients to VR systems and EHR/EMR systems because they think they will be more productive, when they actually lose money and time because of the loss in the number of patietns see ...

Doc Says "Inter Utero Spinal Cord Injury"
Oct 14, 2009

Doc says "Inter utero spinal cord injury"?  I cannot find interutero or intrautero spinal cord anything in my ref material?  Any ideas? ...

Epilepsy Drug. ESL. We Can Try S/l AP Tune (no Dose, But Says Something Like A 1-time Usage) Nm
Aug 11, 2014

Another clue, populated by VR as Pap June ...

Is It Intra-table Or Anterior Table Of The Acetabulum
Apr 02, 2012

bone screw was placed into the, s/l, intra table area of the acetabulum....Looking at old report I see anterior table, s/l could be intra or inter table but not inner table, which is the only one I can confirm... ...

End Point Versus Endpoint And Hand Grip Versus Handgrip
Mar 13, 2012

Two words that come up often for questioning.  These are strictly used in an orthopedic setting.  Stedman's and Dorland's list end point and hand grip HOWEVER the office transcription manager,  girl is asking for me to correct this to endpoint and handgrip. She is only basing this on what an old medical transcription company she used to work for had her typing. I would rather base it on the  medical reference. The doctors are not even aware this has come up. She is ...

Help Quick
Dec 05, 2011

In physical exam:  Violaceous coloration of eyelids.  "Shell" sign is positive.  Can't clearly hear.  Shell, Shnell, Shelf...?  ...

Quick Help, Please!
Aug 17, 2012

This patient has a papule on a GYN exam "near the vaginal and s/l joitus on the perineum." Does anyone have any ideas?  Anytime I try to look it up online, I get a bunch of sex site referrals. ...

QUICK!
Feb 27, 2015

Need quick help please. Doctor says something that sounds like "diffilization" of the pulmonary vessels. He is giving the results from a chest x-ray....if that helps with context.  The physician has an Eastern Indian accent as well.   ...

Grammar
Jan 13, 2010

Which is the correct way to write this... I have written a note to that affect/effect? Thanks! ...

Grammar ?
Apr 18, 2010

The soft tissue and the bowel lumen measures [would you change to measure] 8 cm in length and has [then change to have] a 6 x 3.5 cm margin of the colostomy deep to the subcutaneous tissue.     Or would you just leave this as dictated....... ...

Grammar Help??
Jul 15, 2010

Fluid analysis cytology was positive for adenocarcinoma. or is it  Fluid analysis: Cytology was positive for adenocarcinoma. or somthing different all together?? ...

Grammar Help Please!
Dec 15, 2010

How do you punctuate sentences that are said like this:  Very hopeless I have been made to feel. Would it require a comma after hopeless? I cannot recast the sentence. Any help appreciated. ...

Grammar Are/is
Jul 13, 2011

which is grammatically correct: No hematoma or ecchymosis are/is noted. ...

Grammar Help!
Nov 22, 2011

Hi all, I am a new MT and I have been having trouble identifying these 3 sentences as fragments or complete. The rules of sentence fragments and complete sentences are getting all jumbled in my head and I can't think straight anymore. I need some help. Are these 3 sentences fragments or complete: 1. Refer to previous chart notes. 2. Postoperative course uneventful. 3. Area was again thoroughly irrigated. Anybody out there who can identify for me. I any getting totally confused today. ...

Grammar Help, Please
Jul 04, 2012

In the sentence below, are there any commas or semicolons necessary or is it correct as shown?  Why (or why not) should there be punctuation before and/or following the word "however?"  I have been told that it is correct without any punctuation, but it looks odd to me: The patient is aware that he was to receive 4 consecutive weeks however opted not to.     ...

Grammar - Lie Vs Lay
Sep 02, 2013

I always have trouble with this one. The doctor even states both ways and then says, "I don't know my grammar." Here is the sentence below: Each has occurred at 8.p.m, but he had not yet lied/laid down. Or is it lie? Please help! ...

Need Grammar Help
May 19, 2015

I have a doc who always says "his both feet" instead of "both his feet."  This sounds wrong to me, but don't know if it is just me.  Also, I have several docs who say, "in January 1, 2015."  To me it seems like it should be "on" if you are referrring to a specific date, but again I am not sure if this is just me or there is some reference to back me up.  Thanks for any help with this.   ...