A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

This is a well-trained speech engine - Snow Bunny

Posted: Jul 08, 2011

The below listed paragraph is echo-dictation. This means that I am listening to the dictator and repeating what is said into a microphone.  I have not read this paragraph, so what you about to read has not been edited by me (correct errors). --- If you are doing VR and the text you are reviewing doesn't look like this in terms of accuracy, then the problem lies with the facility who is using speech recognition. I just want to (hopefully) put to rest the negative comments about speech recognition.

>>>The patient states that he never had a dislocation of his shoulder.  He was seen in November 2007 for right shoulder pain that was atraumatic in nature and that he noticed after participating in the high school wrestling team.  He does state that he has very loose shoulders but he has never had a dislocation about his shoulder.  He states he has been pain free and has had full use of both shoulders since being seen in November 2007.  He has not participated in any organized sports, but frequently plays football and participates in organized weight training through his local high school.  He again denies any history of instability requiring reduction in the emergency room or at a medical facility.  He denies any pain in either shoulder.  He denies any numbness or tingling in either shoulder.  He denies any pain or ligamentous laxity in any other joints.<<<

LOL - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Wouldn't the problem obviously be the - lousy dictators? SM

[ In Reply To ..]
In your example at least. I have had excellent dictators and VR does a horrible job. I think there are a lot of variables.

the facts about VR - Snow Bunny

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, there are many variables which can "make or break" the success of speech recognition. The speech engine ... microphone ... sound card ... training ... they all go hand in hand with each other. If you purchase Dragon NaturallySpeaking but have a sound card that is built into the motherboard and use a $20 microphone that you purchased at Staples, you're not going to have the same quality that you would if you have a sound card that you manually insert into the motherboard (i.e. SoundBlaster) and also spent $300+ for a microphone. It doesn't matter if you're using a product from the leader in the industry (Nuance). If the microphone and sound card are below standard, all the training in the world on the #1 product for SR will not give you better than mediocre accuracy.

Similar Messages:

The Well-trained Speech Engine
Jun 10, 2014

This is copied/pasted from a document I'm to be working on. I have not yet proofed anything. What you are about to read is what appears on the screen. It's a fast dictator. The service is v-e-r-y emphatic about keeping the speech engine constantly updated with corrected documents. *THIS* is what I'm talking about.  The patient is a very pleasant 73-year-old gentleman who returns today for an evaluation.  He was last seen by.  His pain is though a very low back pain ...

Ok, Which One Of You Trained The Speech Rec To Put
Dec 12, 2012

What on earth??? ...

And Yet Another MM Speech Engine Blooper
Feb 08, 2013

Instead of gabapentin, grab a panty. ...

Enterprise Express Editor- Key Combination To Change Speech Engine
Jan 28, 2015

Can anyone share the keystrokes used to alert/train the speech engine to remember a term. Example:  milligrams per kilograms per hour to mg/kg/h OR really anything you want it to learn.   (yes I know we are dealing with software that is almost impossible to train - especially with MiraLax versus MiraLAX).  Thanks so much! ...

Ok... Which One Of You Trained The ASR To Put
Jul 17, 2012

This is getting ridiculous! ...

Need A Trained Eye
Sep 17, 2012

Hey there wise, venerable coding veterans! I'm looking for an opinion on the coding course linked below before I contact the school with any specific questions. Do you think this will teach enough for the CCS or just the CCA?  How about the CPC? Should I look further into this course/school or scratch it off my list? Many thanks   http://www.hutchcc.edu/catalog/major/?major=5215 ...

WebmedX New ISR Engine
Feb 04, 2010

Opinions? Am i the only one unimpressed? I can't believe THIS is what they think is so fabulous that it warrants a pay cut.  ...

Which Search Engine Do You Use?
Oct 02, 2013

Wondering which search engine you use to find words? Is it just Google or are there other search engines you've found works better for finding words? ...

VR Trained By Keystrokes Only?
Oct 06, 2013

Here is a weird one:  The doctor dictates "shortness of breath" and VR puts "sob".  ...

Has Anybody Been Trained To Do Medical Coding And Do They Like It?
Nov 10, 2010

Has anybody been trained to do medical coding and do they like it?  I am trying to figure out where to go next since transciption no longer pays the bills and I am sick of sitting down for 12 hours a day.  I am ready to work away from home.  I just do not want to invest time and money in classes where I cannot get a job or where the pay is worse that what we make now.  ...

Medical Search Engine?
Aug 24, 2014

Anyone know of a medical search engine? ...

Just Heard EPIC Is Now Being Trained At My Main Account
Aug 16, 2010

Does not surprise me.. the Canned reports featured in EPIC I am sure will take over to completely do away transcriptionists.  Clearly healthcare is okay with homogenous reports that really are not particular to the patient, just trying to stay within the slimmest margin of the law.  It's like legal liability insurance...the bare minimum required. ...

Is There A Search Engine That Searches Just Medical Sites?
Feb 23, 2011

I am not sure what's going on of late, but I don't seem to get relevant search results when I use G. I search for a medical word, but get results from sites that have nothing to do with medicine. I end up questioning the credibility of these search results and have to research more. Needless to say, I've been losing money spending so much more time researching words. Sometimes, I just wonder if I could have access to a medical search engine to cut out the non-medical stuff. Anyone ...

Question For All MTs', Especially Trained By Mentoring Process And Did Your Time In The Trenche
Apr 29, 2010

Hi, I'm a former Acute Care Transcriptionist who has 12 years hospital, 2 years clinical experience including not cherry-picking and found out years later that their most experienced transcriptionist refused to do an account I was put on due to the ESL ratio.  They did try to make me feel like I was the one who was stoopid, etc..... aside from that....I retired from this profession to home-school my children full-time, be a wife and mother...hubby is very high maintenance.... Any ...

Had QA Correct Me On Speech Therapy To Speech Therapy
Jun 03, 2013

The phrase is She will be evaluated by PT, OT and speech therapy, corrected to She will be evaluated by PT, OT and Speech Therapy.  I thought it was only capitalized in when followed by a proper name like Montana Central Hospital Speech Therapy.    Thanks.  ...

Which Search Engine Do You Use To Search?
Jan 11, 2014

Wondering if everyone still uses just Google, or have you found something better? Curious to know! ...

Speech Q
Aug 09, 2012

when you look at the reports you have in QUEUE and the status of the report says CONTEXT ADAPTATION ADMINISTRATOR, what does this mean, and why am I not getting paid for these reports??? ...

Speech Rec
Sep 05, 2012

Question--Has anyone tried beating them at their own game by purchasing their own speech rec system, installing it, and re-dictating what the dictators have said?  Has it worked for you?  Did you increase your productivity?  What system did you use?  Looking for info.  Thanks! ...

What Speech Rec Said
Nov 24, 2014

Speech Editing.
Oct 15, 2009

My quality has gone down since the clinic that I work at started this.   We use Dictaphone Extext.  Anyway, I must be going too fast or something because I seem to miss things.  Has anyone else had this problem?  I have started reading over my reports myself now before sending them through and I asked my supe if they have improved.  She said yes, but I still am making mistakes and she will send me my reports back shortly.  The only thing else I know t ...

Speech Consult - Thanks Much!
Jan 20, 2010

1) is this the correct way to type the weighted score of 1+3 in this paragraph??  The weighted values for speech symptoms associated with velopharyngeal incompetence, (McWilliams and Phillips) were completed today.  Overall, he received a weighted score of 1 + 3, indicative of a competent-to-borderline competent velopharyngeal mechanism.     ...

Speech Q For Radiology? What's That? Nm
Mar 18, 2010

. ...

Speech Description
Aug 18, 2010

speech is slightly [s/l dysarsik] ...

What Is Exactly Is VR/speech Recognition?
Sep 14, 2010

Hello, I am a new MT and learned transcription from cassette tapes and Express Scribe. Can someone tell me what voice recognition is and how is it used in transcription?  ...

You Know, MQs Speech Wreck Is Bad Enough
Nov 01, 2010

we have dictators who compose sentences such as this: "A xx-year-old female accompanied by daughter in secondary to within the last week has run out of her amlodipine, Prozac and clonidine anywhere from 3-5 days ago each of these." I kid you not, that is what this doctor said.  American doc, speaking clear English.  Now tell me, what am I supposed to do with that?  It is a verbatim account, but the last time I let some gobbly gook like that go through I got chewed out for it (!) ...

Speech Impediments
Sep 14, 2011

This is a first for me.  The doc is NOT ESL.  But, it took me quite a while to figure out what she was saying when I heard, "The patient lickscrapitus in his knee."  Later on, I realized that she was has difficulty with pronouncing some A's and E's correctly.  So, the "lickscrapitus" was "lacks crepitus", which is also a rather odd way of making the statement, IMHO. Why don't the facilities/MTSOs notify the MTs when there is a doc on the account with certain s ...

Speech Recog With OO
Sep 13, 2011

I'm starting to do MT @ home and come from an office that used no speech recog. Only have OO and wondering what software is the best for speech recog that is compatible. Thanks! ...

Speech Wreckognition
Sep 14, 2011

Does anyone know of any company that does NOT use speech wreckognition.  I dont care what they say about once you are used to it you can do twice as much in the same amount of time.  I have NEVER found that to be true.  What I do find to be true is it takes me just as long, sometimes longer to clean up the mess it makes and I do it for half the pay.   Let me just say how much I DO NOT LOVE averaging about 4.00/hour cleaning up after speech wreckognition.  And yes, I ...

New To Webmedx And Speech Rec For That!
Nov 01, 2011

Ok very new to WBX and speech rec and not sure what to think!   How long did it take others to get accustomed to their platform and editing VR? I could transcribe at least 200+ lph at my previous job via straight transcription, but my highest since working here has only been 100 ughhhh! I'm so unsure of this!  Guess I'm looking for encouragement that it will get better and/or easier!!  Any tips?  I just downloaded the free trial of IT7 and am h ...

Speech Motion
Dec 19, 2011

Is anyone familiar with this software?  Thanks so much! ...