A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Seriously, some people do 300 LPH on ASR? Oh yeah sm - ververyoldMQMT

Posted: Mar 24, 2011

I pride myself on using ALL tools given us.  I have ALWAYS been diligent in making my reports as perfect as possible.  I ALWAYS researched terms new and not known, looking up old reports to help on unfamiliar hospitals and doctors.  If I could transcribe (old term type) my reports I could easily do 300-500 lph, but I CANNOT get any of this type of work.  I get 98% ASR.  Lately it has become more than stupid!!!   Entire wrong terms are entered when the doctor is clearly stating and should be "heard" by ASR.   Words here and there left out that ARE crucial to the meaning and ARE clearly dictated.   Flame me if you want people who say they do 300 lph.  I honestly do not see how your reports can be that error free (including punctuation) on an ASR report.  

You know what, I have been here 18 years and now am extremely sick with many illnesses too much to talk about.  I am close to retirement at 62, but have 2 more years to go.  I can't wait for disability, and I WANT and need to do my job.  My work is extremely accurate and I have NEVER been dinged for shoddy output.

I will continue to do my job to the utmost of my ability, and I state again, will not compromise on the quality of a report, regardless of whether a doctor reads it or cares about the punctuation or not. 

Blessings to us all MQ MT/ME'ers.   Just do our jobs.  The world is in so much chaos as it is, why sweat the stupidities of MSO's...

To veryveryoldMQMT....smg - Fossil

[ In Reply To ..]
I could have written this post myself as I am in the same boat as you.

Have been an MT for over 40 years, am same age as you, have been with the Q for 12 years, so am too old with too many health issues for new career, yet too young for SS.

I also do not understand how some can be doing 300+ lph on a consistent and "accurate" basis.
(accurate being the key word). Then again, when looking up reports in the system to check on something, I am amazed at the gross errors I find. Just this morning someone typed "X-ray of the head showed severe DJD"

I am down to making what I was in 1987. Is that a crime or what?

If you want, email me. Don't think there are too many of us oldies here any more, LOL.

I am doing 300 LPH plus with 99.5% QA or better - lka

[ In Reply To ..]
and I don't think I am killing myself doing it. I do mostly speech, hardly any text anymore. On my last 2 paychecks one was 302.93 and the other 333.85 LPH. I am 63 years old and been doing this for a while. Sometimes I can get on a roll and it comes very easy. I do read every single word and there are times I have to re-read and still achieve that. Nonetheless, the pay is certainly not like it was 20 years ago, so I am no further ahead, but certainly better than minimum wage. I think also it helps that I am part-time and so can be more focused. I do receive SS widow benefits so that is why I went part time, because if I make too much than I am penalized and have to pay more into the IRS. Finally after all these years I have more FREE time which is what I always wanted. Just the other day I was checking a particular doc or patient and could not believe the blatant errors I found on reports. I swear they did NOT read word for word or they would never have had those errors. Maybe it depends upon the platform too. I have escription and it is the best, even for the bad ESL docs.

I am doing 300 LPH plus with 99.5% QA or better - Wolfee

[ In Reply To ..]

I can hit 300+ LPH as a QA and maintain 99% to 100% accuracy on my monthly audits, but I can only do this with one of my jobs, the one that uses eScription.  It absolutely makes all the difference in the world.  I have a second part-time job that uses their own platform which is by far the worst, most cumbersome, user-UNfriendly program ever.  Having a bad platform and even worse sound will slow down work production considerably, I wholeheartedly agree.  If ya can't understand the friggin dictators because the sound is so horrid, then that's gonna kill anyone in this business no matter how good you are.  So kudos to eScription - wish everyone would use them!!   

My LPH is also helped by the fact that I truly know this business.  I was trained by a genius 20+ years ago who used one simple rule in her teaching process...  she removed the spellcheck from the computer I was using, which forced me to look everything up manually, not online but in an actual book, which in turn taught me about what I was actually typing and not just how to click on a list of possible correct spellings.  Because as we all know, spell check isn't going to catch something like an x-ray of the head showing "DJD."  lol

I also do 300+ LPH at 98-100% QA on bad SR, - Pragmatist
[ In Reply To ..]
and make an okay living on the SR part, although it is underpaid. I am an ordinary-talent typist. I am the breadwinner for our household.

Whenever someone says she's been doing this for decades and it's impossible to produce good-quality work AND make a livable income, I KNOW she's been doing something terribly dumb for a long time.

OP, don't you go thinking you put out significantly better work than I do with what I suspect is a lot of time-consuming fussing. You don't. I wouldn't say that if you didn't have another couple of years at this, but unfortunately you do, and you still need to smarten up and learn to transform wasted time and effort into money. That could require a new job, BTW. Another 2 years is a lot of exploitation to suffer IF that is also part of what's going on.

If you just can't change, at least don't come here and tell others in trouble that doing good work in good quantities is impossible. It's not.
agree - lll
[ In Reply To ..]
Totally agree - I regularly produce over 300 lines per hour. Its kind of like back in high school when you had typing tests - some could type 65+ words a minute with accuracy, some could only to 40 lines a minute with accuracy. If I could only do 100 lines an hour, I'd find anotherh profession, this isn't your thing.
To Pragmatist...smg - Fossil
[ In Reply To ..]
First of all, you did not say what VR program you work on. I am sure that it is possible to do 300+ on many VR programs, but I was directing my post specifically to VeryVeryOld MQMT regarding only the VR program (ASR) that Medquist uses. Her post was moved from the MQ board to this board, and I was only replying to her post regarding MQ's VR.

I have been using MQ's VR since its inception (almost 6 years), and it has steadily gotten progressively worse over time, not better. When you have to make 5-6 corrections in each and every line of text throughout a report, there is just no way to hit 300 lines or more.

Over on the MQ board, it is a rarity to see a post by someone who can produce much over 200 lph, let alone exceed 300 or more on MQ's VR.

But thank you for your delightful input and insight.

Yes I am a MedQuist employee, and a long time MT. sm - ververyoldMQMT
[ In Reply To ..]
First, I am trying hard to understand why the moderator felt she had to move my post from the MedQuist board to here in the first place. There are mass amounts of posts about our new line count. As a MT I used to transcribe about 400-500 lph. Then went to ASR as one of those asked to for the "trial". I did and spent a lot of time "training" MQ's ASR. Now a year ago we were bombarded by total revamp of the ASR and every stinking thing us oldies did to "fix and teach" it has gone by the wayside. 99% ASR in reports that require every other word to be changed. Priding myself always on looking up old reports, etc. which we DO NOT get recompensed for, and salaries going down ever more ever more. I am a CMT. I did not get it lightly. I used to be the supervisor of transcription at a major Military Base Hospital. Should I leave MQ and go somewhere else? Maybe, but at this stage of my live and the very serious nature of my health it is not practical. It was not my desire to be placed on this VR board. I am, quite frankly, distressed that the moderators chose me out of 50 others on MQ site to move her post. Thank you Fossil for trying to understand. The remainder of you Blessings to you also, as it seems most of you do not use the same MQ platform.
Hi, Fossil, I was also speaking directly to VVOM - regarding her assumption of
[ In Reply To ..]
"Flame me if you want people who say they do 300 lph. I honestly do not see how your reports can be that error free (including punctuation) on an ASR report."

A way-too-usual and dishonest rationale that anyone who's still doing well these days must be putting out slop.

I personally don't like that really speedy typists can leave me in the dust production-wise, no matter how hard I work, but I know they're out there and don't call them liars for speaking the truth.

You MQ guys sound like you have a lot to contend with. My platform is Enterprise, quite decent, but my accounts are set to allow very messy stuff through and require a whole lot of cleanup anyway, too often too much. Companies' attempts to hold onto their clients these days are often at our expense. Literally.

Seriously 500 LPH sm - Stop Whining and Concentrate!

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been doing 500 LPH on VR for almost 2 years (since I was plunged into it unwillingly). It's not that difficult if you all would just stop whining about it and concentrate on the task at hand. My transcribing LPH was 350-400. It's a pay cut for me as well but there are companies out there that will pay up to 6.5 cents per line for VR, so not that much of a pay cut if you're getting 10 cents transcribing.

Similar Messages:

Yeah
Jul 16, 2010

I just got hired by Lartechinc. and I was wondering about the good and the bad about the company. Please let me know. ...

Oh Yeah -- NJA
Jan 23, 2013

Okay, here I go again.  Time to start my shift and NJA.  This is the second day in a row this week for me.  Guess I will again be working second shift out of necessity and not choice.  Looking for a second job but don't know how that is going to work since right now I do not have a "set" schedule with M-Modal.  When I looked at my W-2, in the last 3 years my income has gone down by 1/2.  OUCH!  Where is that magic genie?  Where is that winning l ...

Oh Yeah, NJA
Jul 02, 2014

Only two hours into my shift and NJA.  Starting the holiday weekend early are we? ...

I Passed My CPC! Yeah! - Sm
Jul 14, 2011

Now the hard part - finding a job!  Very glad the testing is over - phew! ...

QA By The Line?, Yeah Right!
Jul 17, 2014

Okay, so there's a post on the jobs page that says QA editors must be able to provide educational feedback but then says they pay by the line. Excuse me but that happens to be stealing. It should also read please do not apply if you mind being robbed bat blind. ...

Oh Yeah, Going To Be A Fun Week
Dec 20, 2014

Saturday night, you know the night when we are understaffed, we need commitments for people to work extra, blah, blah, blah, and I am OOW.  I am no stranger to transcription and generally expect things to be slow on Christmas Day but to be out of work now, this does not bode well for the week.   ...

Yeah, Thats Right. Blame It On The Typist! -sm
May 06, 2010

"A computerized selloff possibly caused by a simple typographical error triggered one of the most turbulent days in Wall Street history..." We get blamed for everything else that goes wrong in business... might as well take the blame for the Stock Market, too. ...

Yeah... The Snowflakes Are Back
Dec 19, 2011

Thanks Moderator! ...

Employee Survey - Yeah, Right
Dec 10, 2012

Just got the survey email.  What a joke! The Senior Executive Team (SET) and I are deeply committed to improving the M*Modal employee experience and culture, and to do that successfully, we need to receive candid feedback from everyone.... it's that critical and that valuable to understand the employee perspective as completely as possible -- across geographies and across functions -- so that we can become the best place to work in the industry. ...

HIPAA - Yeah, Baby.....
Jun 16, 2013

Federal Agents Now Invade Hospital Exam Rooms, Thanks to HIPPA 15 Jun 2013 health care, the federal government by Stephen M Wahl MD in Share8 I recently endured my third round of invasion by the Joint Commission, or JCAHO (Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations). I am still reeling from the experience. Without my consent and without warning, the investigator invited herself into the sanctum of our exam room, explaining that she had ver ...

Yeah... Daily Drawings For MT Week!
May 16, 2011

Good Luck Q-friends!!! ...

Goodbye Nuance. And Oh Yeah. You Can SUCK IT. Sm
Oct 21, 2012

I am writing this email to inform you that tonight will be my last night with Nuance Transcription Services. Over my many years in the workforce, I must say this is the first resignation letter I have penned without any sense of melancholy fondness for the job I am leaving behind. No, instead, it is a feeling of liberation from "time served." For the past 7 months, I have put in my time here at Nuance, suffered through many countless hours of horrible voice recognition files, made next to ...

2 Hours Mandatory OT - Yeah Right - They TRULY Are Nuts!
Jan 23, 2015

x ...

People Skills For Work-at-home People
Nov 01, 2010

I have been at home working full time for about a year.  I have been an MT longer, but I always had kept a job outside of the home also because I like interaction with other.  I have found that I am starting to lose my people skills.  Do others have this same problem?  It is like I have forgotten how to really be able to hold a conversation with others.  This is something that really bothers me as I have always loved customer service and working with people and main ...

How Are There People With No Work, And People On
Jul 17, 2013

We have helper pools for a reason!  Sounds like some TSMs need to get to work. ...

"PRIMARY" Account Yeah Right!
Oct 03, 2013

I am sick of hearing I was "given" 2 primary accounts, but never see them, and instead am getting accounts I have never seen before! I am so close to quitting this very minute. I truly wish "they" had to suffer through this!!! I just needed to vent before I quit, which I may still do before this 8 hours is up. I worked my rear end off to gain experience and knowledge all these years for this? Guess I am a fool for thinking this would be a great career...not so much. Bitter pill to swallow an ...

MDI-MD VR People Here?
Oct 21, 2009

I'm curious.  Any MTs willing to discuss how they like Escription and are working for MDI-MD/Transcend?  ...

DId MDI P.r.n. People Get A Pay Cut Too? Nm
Nov 24, 2009

s ...

MQ People
Sep 10, 2010

I usually come to this forum for good, solid, BRUTALLY HONEST opinon and help.  I have seen this field deteriorate over the years and got to wondering if the suits at MQ have any idea how long some of us have done this work and how poorly they are treating highly qualified, experiences MTs.  I am very curious to see how many years of experience we have.  I personally have 28 years experience and for the past 3 years have not brought in more than 20K.   When I used ...

To All Of You QA People.
Feb 08, 2011

I know this is a little thing, but after 2 years it is a little annoying.  Why do you ask MTs to look up physician names and addresses that are not in the database and to send to QA?  You NEVER enter them into the system, not once.  I have kept a list of physician names and addresses that we frequently use that are not in the database.  I send them to QA every time, requesting that they be entered.  I wonder what your response would be if we sent it blank?  Just a l ...

People Think I Have No Job....
Jul 08, 2011

Okay, four years of doing transcription and it's been four years of people calling all day to chat, wanting me to go do this and that, etc.  I've tried over and over to explain to them to not drop by because I'm WORKING! Have any of you had to get down right rude to make people understand?  Husband also doesn't seem to get it since he mentions "you're at home all day." Ugh. ...

Why Are People So Mean Lately?
Jan 08, 2012

without somebody jumping on you or making fun of you or being spelling police or telling you that's the way business operates so suck it up or go somewhere else. All that hate can't be good for you, but Flame Away!!  ...

Twice As Many People
Dec 26, 2012

typing as there are jobs to be picked up on my account, and we are told via email to work on shortest TAT.  Good grief.  The account will be clear in 5 minutes anyway.  Management is a bit irritating sometimes. ...

Do People Know What An MT Is When You Tell Them?
Jan 25, 2013

It's crazy to me that people do not even know what medical transcriptionists do most of the time.  When people ask me what I do and I tell them transcription, it never fails that they say "What is that?"  I tell them that I type what the doctor says and they say, "What does he say?"  It's crazy that nobody ever wonders how when they ask for medical records they get neatly typed pages from their doc instead of handwritten chicken scratch.  Even when I do explain it, ...

Do They Ever Just Lay People Off?
Jan 29, 2013

Has anyone ever been laid off or do they just expect their employees to quit?  No steady work here in our BOB since October, worse since Christmas.  Even today when work started picking up I still ended up 3 hours short.  I have asked for a transfer and have been denied.  I was told to make up my hours on Saturdays, but last week I was short 20 hours.  That makes for one long Saturday especially when there was no work on Saturday.  So I filed for part ...

99.6?! Obviously These People Really Know Nothing About MT.
Jun 03, 2013

x ...

Any Former DSG People
Jul 06, 2013

I'm just curious if any of the DSG victims who were bought out by MM are still with MM. I had quit MM (MQ at the time) years earlier to go with DSG, only to get slammed back into MQ/MM when they bought out DSG. I quit MM after 8 months of the buy-out. It was my goal from day one of the buy-out and I finally succeeded in getting out of MT completely. ...

Now All Those People Who Would Have
Aug 23, 2013

will be in there working, and that can mean only one thing. This whole thing is about to MPlode. ...

Any Ex DSG People Here?
Feb 23, 2014

Ooops, I accidentally posted this under a reply to something else, so here goes again. Any ex-DSG people here? After 15 years, I finally had left MQ to go to DSG, then got thrown back into MQ/MM 2 years later when they bought out DSGs medical transcription department. I left MT completely after that fiasco. I trusted no company after that mess and decided leaving MT was the smartest thing to do. Just wondering if any of you Ex-DSGers are still working for MM, and if not, what are you doing ...

Too Many People In The Pot Here
Apr 09, 2014

I have a TSM, who I never hear from. Wonder what she does? I have a QA lead that I hear from when I screw up, then there is another one that does quality updates, what the is that anyway and why do I care? And then there is the one that sends out daily backlogs that also mean NOTHING to me in the grand scheme of life. Seems maybe we could trim the fat if we held maybe 2 people accountable to do their stinking jobs instead of 4. Not to mention the ones in the even higher positions that I ha ...