A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Just realized what I really hate about ASR. - adkmt

Posted: Jul 14, 2010

I was just chatting with someone about transcription and ASR (it's been about 3 months since we switched) and it came to me what my biggest problem with it is.  We have no control over it.  With regular transcription, we are only limited by the quality of the dictation the sound.  The harder we work at perfecting our typing skills and our system of word expansions, etc., the faster we can work.  I spent 3 years getting to where there are very few words longer then 4 letters that I type out fully.  I got to where I actually sort of thought in my "word expander language."  Now all that is pretty much wasted.   With ASR, I can learn all the keyboard shortcuts and, sure, my expansions help some, but I really have no control over how many things I have to edit in any given report.  I can sit here and think about all the mistakes it makes over and over and over again, and how it really needs to learn the word Mynx, or what is its problem with the word draping? or why can't this doctor learn the difference between a semicolon and a colon?  But I can't do a damn thing about it.  There is only so fast anyone can stop and start and make all those tiny little word and punctuation changes that we think nothing about making on the fly when we are transcribing.  Supposedly my making the right corrections will change it eventually, but after 3 months, I doubt it.  It is out of my control and the powers that be don't seem to be working in my favor.

What is even worse, at least at transcend, is the fact that you are told to - Hate VR, too

[ In Reply To ..]
increase the playback speed so you go faster. so you increase the playback speed and you hear, most of the time, what the editor spits out, including not hearing the skipped words, etc. Then QA writes you up because you for got A, An, The, or put an extra space into something and you get marked off on your QA score, get a letter from the TL,ROM, or assistant ROM telling you are doing a horrible job and you have to slow down. Catch-22. Transcend is the pits. Of course, they can never fix anything so it comes out right, like you said. Management is the area that can control the quality, but they care nothing about the MTs nor whether they make a living. Greed is the name of the game. As long as the TLs can cherrypick their way through the reports and take the ones they know are good, nothing is ever going to change, and as long as the ones who work with the M-Modal people continue to push our complaints away, it will continue to be horrible.

ASR hate - enigma

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree. I've been correcting it longer than that--maybe 2 years--and the MTSOs are saying BUT WAIT! We can cut your costs using ASR! I'll bet the managers promising lower costs aren't taking pay cuts, just the transcriptionists who do the actual work.

But if it did ever actually "learn it" you would be out a job. sm - hateit2

[ In Reply To ..]
So essentially WE MTS are training the machines to take over our jobs. Hmm, interesting thought. Would you volunteer to train the person who was going to replace you? I wouldn't.

Ever wonder why so many MTSOs always require experienced MTs? Because no one has time to train anyone but essentially what are we doing? We are training the machines. I've done both VR and old days editing. I'd much rather train an MT straight out of school than this VR mess it puts out!!

When I first took on the VR challenge I was so stupid I didn't realize that the 50/50 VR/traditional actually only leaves you the less than 50% of dictators that the machines just simply cannot understand period and that is why they are traditional. DUH TO ME!

Why can't VR ever get the cc's? I spend more time adding cc's than editing the document.

Just wonder how line count is figured for VR? Is it before we edit or after we edit as I assume? I sure seem to hit DELETE, DELETE, AND DELETE more than I add to any document because of all the him, ha, ho's docs throw in there and repeat themselves so many times!

Wonder when some big folks in Medicare will do chart audits and start throwing out fines for inadequate/wrong documentation? Maybe that is what we need to happen to help bring this VR to a halt. Every time I view prior reports I see tons of mistakes and the bottom line is money because MTs are flying threw just trying to earn a penny and losing care. My doc just said cc all the consultants without even telling me who they are. You think I am going to waste my time looking them up? NOT, NOT, and NOT!!!!

The transcriptionist is not training VR. It doesn't work that way - see comments below

[ In Reply To ..]

It's a computer, not a person. Why does everyone keep saying, sm - it will learn

[ In Reply To ..]
The doctors are the ones who will have to learn to talk to the machine so it will type the words correctly. It's a computer. It's not going to think, oh this is Dr. Smith and the last time I typed him, he said blah but what he was really saying was blood. Let's all get real here, a computer has to be programmed. The system is only as good as the person who programmed it.

They are programmed to learn - that's the point - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
GOOD programs WILL learn that when Dr. Smith says blah he is meaning blood, because it compares the voice file to the work that is completed, so if the MT changes "blah" to blood soon enough it will start putting in blood when he says "blah". That's the POINT of voice recognition. Unfortunately, not all programs are created equal, therefore it is impossible to say that ALL VR is bad, or ALL VR is good, because if you read this board enough you will see a trend of which programs actually do what they advertise.

The problem is when you get too many MTs with their own ideas of what "blah" should be, one might put blood, one might put "blah", one might put "bar" - in that case it is impossible for the VR engine to distinguish what is actually said, it waits for trends, and if those don't become clear it will never learn.

And that learning process was how they justified the 50-75% pay cut - for VR. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

That is how I can tell there are new hires on my account - Too many chefs spoil that broth, eh?

[ In Reply To ..]
Regarding the second paragraph of your post, that is how I can always tell there are new MTs on my account, things that have always been perfect suddenly go askew (i.e., "kilograms" instead of "kg" in the PE; ROS suddenly part flush margin, part wraparound, etc.).

I can never understand why some MTs are so dog-goned determined to inflict their personal style into a report to be edited, even when it clearly goes against the account specifics, but it's always my "heads up" to pay even closer attention while editing because there are now too many chefs spoiling the eScription broth, lol!
Why can they not have an "elite" team who are the only - ones to force changes?
[ In Reply To ..]
The managers know who is good and who is mediocre at best. Why can they not have a core group who do the actual training of the VR. I should thing that it would not be that hard to have it only recognize "learning" from a select group of people and not recognize changes that other, maybe new, maybe less skilled, MTs make.
Once it has left the physician, it doesn't matter who you are - llll
[ In Reply To ..]
the voice recognition is over. You are now in the mode of editing. VR is completed. VR is not in the document you or anyone else is in looking at what you are typing. VR-VOICE RECOGNITION. The elite team you speak of will still have the issues if the physician does not learn to speak clearly for the VR and the VR does not learn that physician's voice.
But that's kind of the point - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Rather than having 50 people of varying skill levels try to teach the VR "brain" what Dr. Sferoiufd is saying, why not just a handful of really good MTs? Learning should come from an exceptional teacher not in spite of a very bad one.
I'm sorry, you don't understand how many VR programs work - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
They compared the completed reports to the voice file, they keep track of the changes, they do learn. Not all, but those that are programmed correctly, do learn.
It is learning the speech pattern of the physician, not the typist - llll
[ In Reply To ..]

What's the point? Remember the commercial with the couple, sm - LOL

[ In Reply To ..]
trying to make a phone call with the automated voice recognition service. That is voice recognition. Ever make a call yourself and the thing took more than once to recognize what you were saying? That's voice recognition. With medical transcription you only get 1 time. It doesn't matter how many times a transcriptionist types blah, the computer will hear it and type what it hears. It will learn the voice of the person dictating, not what the transcriptionist is typing. That's the whole point of VR, not to have a transcriptionist. It is up to the physicians to learn how to use the voice recognition and since they are not actually going through their own reports, that will probably never happen. VR is just that voice recognition, not TR, transcriptionist recognition.
Wrong. - me
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm sorry, but you are wrong.
eScription learns, I can't talk about other programs because I haven't used them, but eScription does learn with consistent editing.
VR types what it hears, not what you edited in your report - llll
[ In Reply To ..]
Once the physician says the word correctly, it will type it correctly, it will never change blah to blood no matter how many times you change it to blood. It will only type blood once it hears the word as blood. It's that simple. The physician has to train the VR program to learn his voice, not the quality of your editing.

My question is..... - adkmt

[ In Reply To ..]
is there someone responsible for training it? My understanding is that an SR system periodically scan documents by a certain dictator and picks up on words and phrases they use. I work for a company that uses DocQscribe and whatever the ASR program is called. So is there someone in my company who is responsible for how often it does that or what it sees? I would think there would be a way to weed out the badly transcribed or edited reports so that it "learns" what we want it to. I know for a fact that I make the exact same changes to a certain doctor's cardiac caths every single time, but it has yet to incorporate those changes. It absolutely will not put in the word Mynx or Xience. So is that the fault of the program or something else?

Here is an article on VR. It is not the transcriptionist it needs to learn - it is the physician

[ In Reply To ..]
Is voice recognition the new solution for medical transcription needs? Voice recognition or speech recognition is one of the new developments in the medical transcription field. It has been touted as the solution for a health provider's documentation needs.

How does it work? The doctor is offered a digital platform by the Voice recognition service provider where the doctor can dial in and dictate his patient notes at the end of the day. The software converts it to typed form, which is made available to the doctor to edit and correct as needed.

Seems simple enough. But is it as simple as that? Apparently not! Voice recognition needs to be evaluated on all the criteria used while finalizing a healthcare facility's medical transcription service provider.

Time saved: When medical transcription needs are outsourced one of the main benefits is the time saving factor. Time is a precious commodity for Doctors and they would like to utilize it for providing quality care to their patients. But when voice recognition software is used the doctor has to spend more time on it in the following areas:

1. Training time: Voice recognition software requires the doctor to personally 'train' the software on the speech pattern, accent, standard terms and various nuances of his/her speech pattern so that the software can 'learn' it and adapt accordingly. This could involve a huge time commitment from the doctor using it, which he may ill afford to make.

2. Time for dictation: Voice recognition software requires the doctor to change his style of dictation to include punctuations, grammar, spellings, detailed terminology, paragraph and report start and ending etc., as opposed to the free flow form of dictations that the doctors are used to.

3. Time for editing: Unlike the traditional method of medical transcription where the records are subject to rigorous proof reading and quality checks, here the doctor needs to spend considerable time editing and correcting before signing off on the reports

Accuracy: The accuracy levels of the finished reports is of utmost importance as it affects care of the patients at every level as well as forming the basis for all further documentation needs. The accuracy level from voice recognition software is found to be about 60%-65%. That means correcting and editing the documents have to make up for the remaining 35%-40% accuracy.

Cost: The cost factor for voice recognition software will vary according to the number of users and the size of the organization. It will also have to factor in additional costs required for editing the documents to an acceptable level. One may find that it is costing more per line than was quoted in the beginning.

Learning curve: When healthcare facilities look for solutions for producing their patients' medical records they would like to have solutions that are expert and accurate from the very beginning. In the case of voice recognition software there is a definite learning curve that affects the quality of finished reports till the software 'learns' to follow a particular doctor's speech patterns and even then the accuracy levels are only 60%-65%.

Flexibility: When new doctors are added to the practice the voice recognition software has to be trained further to accept the speech nuances of the new joiners. There is no flexibility offered by voice recognition software for this.

In conclusion we can safely say that voice recognition software will never be able to completely replace manual medical transcription. The important point to be considered here is that medical records are created of human beings, dictated by human beings and therefore needs another human being to transcribe it. Medical transcriptionists will have an important role to play at least as editors and proofreaders.

Medical transcription requires a certain amount of training, subjective judgment and understanding the context to be accurate and relevant, which will not be possible to achieve completely through software, no matter how expertly created.

For the transcription needs of a healthcare facility one should look for a company that offers commitment on accuracy, turnaround time, reasonable pricing and data security.

This concerns programs such as Dragon - front end programs - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Different VR is different. Programs that are designed for front-end speech recognition, where the doctor edits his own work are not designed to learn. However, programs such as EditScript (and I think M*Modal is supposed to be that way too, but I've never used it) do learn. They are programed different. You are coparing apples to oranges, Word to WordPerfect.

it's a misconception that MTSOs are trying to sell you, - that you are training the program

[ In Reply To ..]
No matter what program it is, it is learning the person's voice, not the transcriptionists keystrokes.
I am not trying to tell you that it does not learn, sm - llll
[ In Reply To ..]
I am just trying to tell you it is not learning what you are typing. It is learning what the physicians are saying and how they are saying it. Hence, VOICE RECOGNITION.
It learns what the physician is saying but requires what has been typed to correlate. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Hmm, yes, that's where you come in, not the VR, it only - does the voice recognition
[ In Reply To ..]

this article is from transdyne, a transcription company - lllll

[ In Reply To ..]

If speech recognition only learns what the doctors say.... - adkmt

[ In Reply To ..]
why, on the program I am on, does it not ever put in the word Mynx or Xience, no matter what doctor is saying it. They certainly don't all mumble it. Obviously, for some strange reason those words aren't in the database or memory or whatever you want to call it. It doesn't recognize those words when they are spoken by any of the dictators. So what I want to understand is what is it that has to happen for those words to start showing up in the document when they are spoken.

Most SRT can be manually adjusted... - PhillyMT

[ In Reply To ..]
By a user who builds a dictionary for the program telling it what to transcribe when specific sound sequences are heard. So someone actually tells the program "yes, you heard correctly" or "no, this is what was actually said" using these customized dictionaries, typically created using the ARPAbet language. Any company dedicated to the improvement of SRT will manage and maintain a process like this. In your case, I bet someone has modified the program to correctly recognize this speech.

yes, those words could be added to the dictionary, but - could still be misunderstood

[ In Reply To ..]
by the VR, Xience s/l science, so no guarantee that the VR will know what word to chose. As you know, there are thousands of words for the VR to chose from. In essence, the VR will type what it thinks it hears, just as a typist would.

You're absolutely right, you can make those corrections, sm - JMHO

[ In Reply To ..]
repeatedly and it will not learn what you have corrected. I hope that after 3 months, you have realized that it has nothing to do on your end for training the program. The progam is trained by the user speaking to the VR Once it leaves that person, you are the editor of what the VR has learned. Programming the VR and putting in a dictionary of new words will only go so far. When the physicians learn this stuff, then we might get a better product. I too am confused as to why all of these transcriptionist think they are helping in the correction process of the VR system. I agree with you, after 3 months, it should have learned what you were changing and since it hasn't, that should tell you that you have nothing to do with teaching it what that physician said.

Similar Messages:

What I Just Realized...
Jan 30, 2014

When the hospital I worked for in-house told me they were going with mm and there was a position with mm if I wanted it, they said at least I'd be guaranteed work. I sure needed that laugh today. <--laughing so hard I'm crying! ...

Has Anyone Else Realized That Since Our Pay Has Gone Down So Much.....
Mar 11, 2014

.... that when/if we retire, out Social Security benefits will be less than what we would be getting had we kept our previous salaries for x more years?  I just realized this and it REALLY sucks!  Just one more charge against them.... ...

You Know, I Just Realized Something....
Jun 09, 2014

I really do not like being a negative person, but just tonight I realized how this profession has changed me.   I used to be a happy, upbeat person and now I find myself becoming fatigued, negative and bitter.  It's like being in an unhappy marriage :(  I have no faith in companies doing the right thing anymore or treating people like they are people and rewarding people who are conscienous about their job with raises.  I don't like giving this profession this ...

Just Realized
Nov 12, 2014

30 years ago today.  I had my own office and my own set of doctors.  Everyone was so kind and helpful that day.  Fast forward 30 years and I feel like a total failure, making probably about as much as I did that day.  All of my non-MT friends have retired and have lake property.  Wow, I sure made a wrong turn! ...

One Thing I Have Realized About ASR
Aug 09, 2012

My mind can wander and zone out because it's like listening to somebody read you the same story all day long!  When I actually had to think while typing--how to minimize my keystrokes for maximum output--it kept me more alert and "tuned in." ...

Never Realized How Bad Cherrypicking Is
Jan 14, 2014

Just the other day I was given better access to Fluency Manager.  I used to only see US work in my region.  Now, I can see it all.  Anyway, I saw a stat job in the backlog that was almost going late and with the low amount of work, it really should have been typed by then.  Out of curiosity, I checked the Job Audit on it through manager.  This job was discarded a total of 6 times by 3 different MTs.  Two of them did it once, and one did it 4 times.  These were ...

Wow! Just Realized I Work For Ebenezer Scrooge!
Dec 03, 2014

We might as well laugh instead of crying as we send out our resume ...

I Have Realized The Truth Of The MT Industry Situation
Jun 06, 2015

I've been coming here for years. For many years it was only the poorly trained MTs who complained about not doing well. Anyone who had good training and good skills, sometimes learned on the job, which isn't practical now, but good skills at any rate, did well. The times have changed. While I used to categorize the complainers as neer-do-wells because they lacked ambition, accuracy, and training, that just isn't the case anymore. The employers have beat MTs down so that they can ...

I Started To Apply At M*Modal Then Realized It Was MQ. I Escaped From There 2 Yrs Ago.nm
Sep 23, 2012

I HATE MY JOB, I HATE THIS LIFE
Jul 09, 2011

I HATE that I am tied to my office just waiting for work to come in on two different companies.  I HATE that I just quit a third company because of LACK OF COMMUNICATION (gave my notice to Keystrokes, no response from ANYONE).  What is wrong with these people?  They demand certain things of us but we have no rights?  I HATE HATE HATE it and as soon as I possibly can find another job, I will LEAVE MT WORLD FOREVER.  I HATE THAT I HAVE NO LIFE WITH THIS PROFESSION.  H ...

End Of My Rope. Hate My Job, Hate What Has Become
Feb 18, 2014

of the medical field in general. What happened to all the American doctors? Has it become so blasted easy for foreigners to come over and get a job as a doctor or are Americans so damn-ass lazy that they don't want to get the education? Or is to so blasted expensive that no one can afford to become a doctor unless you are a foreign student? So freaking sick and tired of all these foreign dictators who speak so fast and sloppy. What the heck is going to become of our health care when we can& ...

I Looked At My Count Thus Far For "incentive" Weekend And Realized
Mar 07, 2011

My lph doing ASR is the same as my lph for straight typing!! - I'm not a fast typist anymore - hands a bit stiff at my old age. I've tried everything, including only using the keyboard and no mouse. Just too much stopping and starting - at least 3 times a line. And if it's a correction, extra time needed to highlight and type over. It felt so good to get a couple typing jobs as I had some continuity going - none of this herky jerky of stop-start-stop....... I've got my res ...

I Sure Would Hate To Be A CTL Right Now
Mar 04, 2010

I sure would hate to be a CTL right now and be trying to sell this bag of doody.  They must absolutely need a job worse than ME!  ...

I Hate This Job I Hate This Job
Jul 02, 2010

MY VENT TODAY:  I hate QA, I hate my job.  My pay is HALF of what it was 15 years ago and I get picked and PICKED AND HOUNDED to death on meaningless garbage in a report.  Take away my benefits, make me a literal slave to a keyboard, pay me utter crap, treat me like less than a human, and DEMAND PERFECTION. What a stupid field I am in.   PS - If I wasn't too old, if the economy wasnt tanked, and if if if I would be out of this so-called profession. i would have left a ...

Why I Hate QA
Mar 29, 2010

I type a lot of crap, but just had the worst doc I think I ever had.  Had 11 QA markers so I sent it to QA thinking they might actually LIKE getting some work since they are about to be history.  Anyways, this bi*ch marked 2 CRITICAL ERRORS and did an audit on it (which was still 96.5% in spite of everything I am glad to say).  QA you wonder why we have such a bad attitude?  That was totally unnecessary.  ...

You May Hate VR, But
Jun 24, 2010

http://www.nuance.com/news/pressreleases/2010/20100622_mDollarAward.asp ...

Hate This Job
Jul 15, 2010

I spend a lot of time typing for a huge university hospital clinic with no ADT.  Have to type in all patient information.  Almost every report is a LETTER.  Referring physician has to be typed into the ADT.  Then the letter recipient information has to be typed in and lo and behold have to re-type it into the cc list for the doc to get a copy of the letter.  I wonder why I can't run a decent line count?  I spend 50% of my time typing in information that I am no ...

I Hate This Job!
Nov 14, 2011

x ...

Hate To Ask, But . . .
Dec 23, 2011

No Jobs Available what is the process?  (This is quicker than wading through the MQ Central site).  I don't usually have NJA (sorry) --- before you flame me I do type really yucky stuff mostly :)  Thanks.  I know to clock in for the 15 minutes, but last time I got reamed by CCM for not having some sort of "ticket number?"  Is it through the MQ Central site? ...

I Hate To Say It But Thank God For You All..
Feb 23, 2012

I mean really, I have been doing this for like 15 long ass years.. And NEVER have I felt so stupid in my life..I used to make almost 36 K a year, depending on how hard I wanted to work..I work my ass of for this company and, welll, I have yet to check my W2s cause it will make me sick..Im so SORRY your all in the same boat, but at least I am not as dumb as I was beginning to think.. ...

I Hate MT CO
Jun 18, 2012

Just love applying for jobs and having to take their stupid test just to get a reply of the position has been filled as of Friday and we will keep your resume and test on file.  Yeah right.  I never hear anything back from those Co. I tested for.  Does anyone?  What a waste of my time.  Wish they would just say up front we have 2 positions available and 500 people testing, so I would know up front that it is just a waste of my f****** time.   Starting ...

Don't Ya Hate This?
Aug 19, 2012

I sure wish Dr "UM," would go away arleady.  Geez, this one starts every sentence with, "Next, um . . . . (long pause) blah, blah um blah, um . . . .  This job is 24 minutes long packed with about 9,500 instances of using "um" no less than 4 times in every sentence. I have a hard time um you know, um believing um this is a doctor um.  What is that a neurological disorder or language tic of some kind that she has to do that repeatedly? Gads, um . . .  I wish she would ju ...

Hate DQS 7.1
Aug 22, 2012

My line count is in the toilet, it has slowed my computer down. The spell check is missing things like doubled words. The headers are ridiculous.  AND I use the mouse a lot more because half the time the arrow keys don't seem to work. This SUCKS ...

Don't You Just Hate It When
Oct 05, 2012

Don't you just hate it when you've got a dictation that is so fraught with static, and it sounds like the dictator is 100  miles away from the phone, but you actually can make out the words, just barely, and you'd love to leave all blanks because it's such a chore to hear any of it, but you can't, of course, because you can make it out?  Several of these in a row is enough to make me want to punch my computer!  (or eat lots of chocolate!) ...

Hate My Job
Jan 29, 2013

"Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY and they meet at the bar." -George Carlin ...

I Hate My Job, I Hate ASR
Jan 30, 2013

x ...

I HATE My Job
Apr 21, 2013

I have been at Nuance 4 months and don't know how I am going to go through another week there. I do not know if it is just the account I am on or what but I keep getting assigned horrible ESL dictators. There r good dictators on this account also, but I cannot seem to get those very often. I am just about to throw in the towel... I just can't quit but I am actually afraid I am going to get fired because I cannot meet this stupid line count with these type of dictators and secondly I ...

I Hate This Job Now
Oct 17, 2013

I am to the point of "Ugh do I really have to work tonight".  They fail you on audits for the stupist of things, nothing below 97 for me, but there are so many CPs with different rules.  You are on one for 2-3 reports then all of a sudden a different one, they someone reserves some to you that you have never heard of, not even in our region, and you have to stop, read the CP and lose lines because you have to make sure once it is done, it is correct.   Then this sorry ASR mes ...

Don't You Just Hate It -
Oct 08, 2014

Don't you just hate it when you're typing along fluently, not missing a thing, feeling so very competent, then you start to think about what you're doing, and suddenly your fingers don't want to do anything you say?  Kind of the centipede who has no trouble walking until someone asks him how he does it - haha! ...

I Hate What This Job Has Become AND What It
Nov 05, 2014

I used to enjoy being in transcription.  It was a way I could not only support my family but also be at home for my children when I was needed.  Now, it has become nothing more than a humiliating and degrading situation, where I sit and wonder WHY am I still doing this.  I used to believe I was good at my job, and I was proud of my quality and my speed.  Lately, however, both have been questioned by Nuance to the point where I believe I am not nearly as fast nor as good as I ...