A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I have realized the truth of the MT industry situation - Truth Hurts...Really Hurts

Posted: Jun 06, 2015

I've been coming here for years. For many years it was only the poorly trained MTs who complained about not doing well. Anyone who had good training and good skills, sometimes learned on the job, which isn't practical now, but good skills at any rate, did well.

The times have changed. While I used to categorize the complainers as neer-do-wells because they lacked ambition, accuracy, and training, that just isn't the case anymore.

The employers have beat MTs down so that they can accurately be defined as real victims of abuse, both financial abuse and emotional abuse. Self-esteem has plummeted over the last few years.

Employers never recognized MT credentials and still don't. That's because if they did, it would be similar to a union which protected its members from abuse. They realized that and wisely, for them, didn't really encourage anyone to get their CMT and in many cases laughed at those who did, saying they had 'seen a CMT who did poor work.'

Well, that turned out well for them. Now they get cheap labor and poor quality because of the unreasonable demands, quotas, TAT, etc., that they've loaded the MTs down with and the unrealistic requirements for incentive pay and the fact that you can't get it anyway no matter how hard you work, because they keep you from it by running out of work.

In comparison, look at how medical coders, for an example that is familiar to most of us, are required to have very tough credentials. The employers don't just prefer it, they demand it. They also recognize those credentials and pay those coders with credentials well. Some of the same MTSOs who helped to destroy MT as a viable career will try and are trying to destroy medical coding the same way, by cheapening the labor, discouraging coders from getting a fine education with credentials, because if they do, they won't work cheap. That is the goal of those despicable MTSOs. Not all of them fit in that category, but some do. 

Fortunately, the medical coding industry has been around the block a few times. Their employers include hospitals and insurance companies who recognize that their own livlihood (income) depends on the skills and accuracy of those medical coders doing that work.  They keep requiring more credentials rather than insulting those who have chosen the higher road by getting an excellent education. The bad guys are stil going to be doing their best to cheapen anything they can get their hands on, but organizations such as AHIMA, AAPC, AHA, AMA, etc., actually care about medical reimbusement, so they will try, but they will fail. I'm very happy about that because I love medical coding. It has all that I always loved about medical transcription, dealing with the patient's medical record, the terms, A&P, pathology, pharmacology, but none of the drudgery and contempt from MTSOs who look at us as peons, unworthy of a decent salary.   Thank you for listening to my rant against despicable MTSOs and my victory over them via a successful medical coding career. They can't take that away from me.

Also, the rough economy played a role. - Tired

[ In Reply To ..]
The rough economy and the fact that this was the worst economy since the depression (still is, in my opinion) played a role as well. First the voice recognition put probably at least a third of us out of work. Then the economy made it so that in order to survive you had to find a job and settle for ANY job at that point. This played right into these MTSO's hands. So of course they paid as little as possible because they could get away with it. Hospitals saw what a great deal that was and laid off even more out of good jobs. The MTSO's paid even cheaper and raised the standards for that cheap pay to near-perfection. And so far, have gotten away with it.

It will be interesting to see if anything does come of the improving economy but I think it's going to take a long while and it may never happen, but that's my opinion of what happened.

Don't get too smug, however. I suspect coding will eventually become a job that will be automated. I've been reading articles that say something like 50% of our jobs will be automated within not a very long period of time, like maybe 3 or 5 years. MTSO's are going to figure out how to ruin coding by automation, I suspect, so they get that business. It should be fairly easy for the same computer that creates the EMR to scan the EMR for the diagnoses and code the report. Guess what? Coders are now out of work. They will probably need a few around but the MTSO's, all of whom want this business, will drive down wages until the career has been ruined just like MT. And of course the hospitals will eat it up for the cheap price.

Just my opinion.

I hear what you are saying but I disagree that the economy had anything to do with their mistreatmen - No break given them on that one

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not allowing them to use the economy as an excuse for badly treating their MTs. As far as coding is concerned, it's much more complicated than you stated. It has been computerized for many years. I've heard lectures and read detailed research that point out the huge differences. That doesn't mean that anything and everything in the world can't be outsourced overseas, computerized, made obsolete, etc., but we have to work. We can't live our lives in fear, although I have relatives who do. Seriously. I can't be around them. Back to coding though, because it has so many different career paths demonstrated by a variety of credentials, it's well situated for the future, as well as any other career that I can think of.

Clearly, you are not a coder. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
If you were, you would not have thought it was scanning the medical record for medical words and coding them.

Also, as someone pointed out, there are any number of careers that use coding knowledge, but which are not front-line coding, that coders move into. More are being developed every day.

Truth - Hurts

[ In Reply To ..]
"They can't take that away from me."

Whom have I heard say that statement before?

To outsource or offshore jobs which Americans can perform, are decisions that only upper management and CEOs make in order to cut costs to create the illusion that they have made a profit that financial quarter or fiscal year. Their only concern for the organization and their shareholders is to make profit no matter whose throat they have to slash, and no one is above the slashing. We are all expendable and technology can replace anyone of us no matter how valuable we think we may be to an organization.

Well, good luck to you. I have moved on from these MTSOs and this type of career, and I have never been happier.

Weighing In - Lowly non-coder

[ In Reply To ..]
What the coders in their ivory towers seem to forget is that without transcribed documents there would be noting for them to code, it needs to be documented first. There are many reasons why the MT profession went downhill, one is when people wanted to work at home. Some people went from good on site jobs and went to work for MTSOS for that reason. Soon, employers picked up on this and the exodus began. Services undercut each other to get contracts and the MTs suffered. Who doesn't want to save money; if facilities could find a way to save money on coding they would do it. For one thing, employee benefits are expensive. Keep deluding yourself that they keep you around because they love you but the truth is coding is a necessary evil. As an MT, I've been fortunate to keep an onsite job. It is true that the work is outsourced now but I moved into a different role, and there are actually quite a few jobs where MTs can use their skills in clinical documentation and quality assessment. The economic downturn has played a role, and believe it or not, some employers have hiring freezes and coders aren't getting hired either. You don't live in a bubble and you are not indispensable; you need to check your superior attitude at the door.

You are mistaken. Coders are most definitely being hired - Have not seen hiring freezes

[ In Reply To ..]
There may have been hiring freezes a few years ago, but right now coders are most definitely in demand. I'm not in an ivory tower and my roots are in MT, so I certainly respect qualified MTs. I do not respect the MTSOs who have treated them as if we were a 3rd-world country. You mentioned "Who doesn't want to save money?" It's fine for those in business to save money, but ethical businesses pay those who work for them appropriately. They don't come up with gimmicks that cut the pay in sneaky ways. That isn't right, never was right, and never will be right. There is no superior attitude here. I speak in defense of abuse of my fellow MTs, while your message sounds like rhetoric from those who caused this mess in the first place.
Actually, coding is going overseas - especially CPC which - is physician & outpatient coding.
[ In Reply To ..]
You can read about this on any coding board. I did a lot of checking when I was thinking about moving over to coding and it seems pretty likely to me that coding is going to go the way of MT within 5 to 10 years, both from the standpoint of offshoring and automating.
That is oversimplification or wishful thinking and not what you see on all coding boards - Strongly Disagree
[ In Reply To ..]
That is not what I've seen, and I'm on a number of coding boards. What I'm seeing is some very good money, including for outpatient coding. In your worst-case scenario, you've completely ignored many facts about medical coding in an effort to scare people I guess. Medical coders have a number of job titles that they are eligible for even after a small amount of experience. These are not 'going the way of MT' as one or two people love to say. It's like you wake up in the morning saying, "That's going the way of MT; here's another one that's going the way of MT." If we believed you, we would all crawl in bed, pull the covers over our heads, and sob ourselves to sleep.
Wishful thinking - Think about it
[ In Reply To ..]
Believe whatever you want. With the advancement in technology, any profession can be eliminated. You know as well as anyone else that corporate heads are always looking for cost-cutting ways to do business and that includes eliminating jobs which Americans can do. However, don't let fear get the best of you, instead prepare yourself for what lies ahead as I have.
I have to step in here with a Reality Check - Pragmatist
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm on lots of coding forums where people are identified by name and other information in their profiles. I'll tell you what I'm seeing. I'm seeing some people saying that nobody will hire them. If you look further, you'll see that they either have no credentials at all or maybe a CPC that they barely passed after 5 tries at it. Then you see others saying that they just got a great new job as a brand new coder and sometimes had several offers. Yes, some of those jobs are remote, but most are on-site. On those forums, there are more people getting jobs every week and the same ones on there always saying that they can't get anyone to give them a chance. When someone asks them about credentials, they usually say that their training didn't include preparation for that, but they seem to expect to be hired anyway. That's not working for them. I've never seen so many great jobs in coding. The opportunities keep getting better. Compare that with what we as MTs, and I count myself there because I'm a former MT and have many friends who still are, see in MT. There are a few great MT jobs, but fewer than there were a few years ago. Go on any MT forum and there's where you see the truth of that. Coding has a future for a great many people; MT has a future for a rare few. That's what I'm seeing on 'any coding board' and any MT board that I visit.
I've seen that and more when people try to help them - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I've seen some of the coders whose education didn't prepare them for credentials whining and complaining over and over about nobody will give them a chance. Then one of the job recruiters or highly successful experienced coders will give them some advice: go back and get some real training. They don't want to hear it. I remember one saying something to the effect that she doesn't intend to ever get any further training, but that doesn't keep her from being on every thread about people getting jobs or promotions saying she wishes someone would do that for her. That just nails it. Sometimes you just have to do something for yourself first before someone is going to look at what you've achieved and hire you, not 'give me a chance to show what I can do' but acknowledge your excellent skills, training, and credentials, and hire you to do a job that they need done.
As a recruiter of coders, I've seen that and hate that helpless act - It gets really old
[ In Reply To ..]
Recruiters are all over those forums. I can speak for all of us when we see those "someone help me, please" acts, it gets really tiresome. Is that really a person that you would want to hire and have to work with? I wouldn't. Instead of whining, "Nobody will give me a chance" I would rather here, "I just graduated and got my credentials. I'm ready and prepared to go to work." Which person would you rather work with?
Dear recruiter - Question
[ In Reply To ..]
I completely agree with you on hiring a person who has just graduated, has their credentials, and indicates they are ready and prepared to work--I am sure there are a lot of those people out there. However, would you pass up a credentialed, several years' experienced coder, who is ready and prepared to work over a person who just graduated from college, has their credentials, is ready and prepared to work, but has no coding work experience for the same position?
There aren't a lot of them out there - Recruiter
[ In Reply To ..]
There aren't a lot of coders who just graduated, have CPC and CCS, outpatient and inpatient, credentials, and are ready and prepared to work. You asked if I would pass up someone with several years' experience but no coding work experience. What kind of experience are you talking about?
Recruiter - medical coding experience
[ In Reply To ..]
The kind of work experience I am talking about is both outpatient and inpatient medical coding.

You have already answered my question, thank you. So, a person must have graduated from an accredited medical coding program, have medical coding work experience (inpatient or outpatient, or both) along with medical coding credentials--CPC and CCS, in order for a recruiter to consider that person for a medical coding position.
She did not say that. Why put words in her mouth? - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
She never once mentioned anything about "an accredited medical coding program."

The discussion was about new coders who had no experience. You have been twisting her words around and making it appear that she said something she did not. Why?

I would ask what credentials these college grads have. - Few have very much.
[ In Reply To ..]
I am not Recruiter, but I do some hiring. Few junior college graduates have credentials other than an RHIT or CCA, neither of which points toward any degree of coding competency. Fine if you have a trainee position, but they are not ready for independent work.

I have seen the same thing when I have hired coders - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Can you give forum names? - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
You mentioned "I'm on lots of coding forums." Can you give some links to these forums as I'm very interested as I start my coding training? Thanks.
Mistaken - Coders
[ In Reply To ..]
Speaking from my own experience, I have found that one must continue to study and explore different career options in order to survive any cost-cutting decisions the higher ups make which may involve elimination of my job. Keeping all options open, going back to school to further degrees or making a career change, and keeping up with the latest technology can help. There are no guarantees in this life and one must prepare for what may happen. It may sound paranoid, it may sound like rhetoric, however it is what is happening--be prepared to move on to better things for yourself.
Certainly continuing education is necessary in almost any career - Jodi
[ In Reply To ..]
Any career that is worth having requires continuing education, advance continuing studies, always learning. The paranoid 'rhetoric' part of it is saying that 'all is lost' mantra that all of us are tired of hearing. Medical coders are being hired because they are in demand, which is growing every day. Careers related to medical coding are also options for credentialed coders, although some will prefer coding itself rather than exploring those options. Either way, medical coding is a growing career; MT is a dying one. The trend line goes up for one, down for another.

I believe that the OP's point is not to work for an MTSO - Better options

[ In Reply To ..]
The truth is, most of us have to work. Some of us truly enjoy working in healthcare, dealing with the patient's medical record. That's somewhat of a calling for us. We can look at any career you care to mention and it has its risks and downsides. No exceptions. So what are we to do, stay home and such our thumb? Of course not. We have to invest ourselves emotionally, physically, and financially in a career that rewards us financially and emotionally. Will it last forever? I suppose I could choose something safe, like a grocery store clerk, but unfortunately, they are at risk too. Nothing is 100% guaranteed to always be perfect because this is not a perfect world. For those of us who enjoy working in the patient's medical record, medical coding is a really good career that pays extremely well. I'll take my chances with that and, since it does pay extremely well, I'm also putting back a bit into savings in case Chicken Little really was right, but I sure don't intend to live my life as a paranoid, and I don't think many of you do either. Some obviously do, and that's okay if that's how you choose to live your life.

Better options - Not helpless

[ In Reply To ..]
That is great, but why the attitude that the economy has tanked for everyone but you? Across the board, health care jobs are being cut and yours can go away too if your employer decides that there is a cheaper way to get the work done. I know coding is a great job but it is not for everyone and to suggest that it's the perfect option for anyone trying to get out of MT is really a disservice. I remember being told that MT would never go away but it did. I had a very successful career as an MT and was able to move into another position when that ended (not coding). Everyone needs to keep their options open, regardless of what they are currently doing. Don't put all of your eggs in one basket and be willing to accept change because that is inevitable, even in coding.
The economy for coding jobs never tanked and is doing well - Respect but disagree with your whole concept
[ In Reply To ..]
I respect your opinion, even though I disagree with it. The economy tanked back in 2008 but coders were being hired as usual, and still are. The economy has been amazing lately, with people having more money to spend on housing and education. That is based on what I am seeing and have read about, of course. Your area may be one of the isolated areas that is tanking because of what products your state produces; mine is doing well.

Your comment that coding is not for everyone is right on target. No career field is a good fit for everyone. You can see messages below suggesting to some posters that from what they have written, coding is not a good fit for them. That is usually when they lack enough time for good training or want someone to train them for free or something similar.

The advice to not put your eggs in one basket is a good recommendation, but medical coding is not all one simple basket. It is a huge system with all sorts of baskets in it belonging to a bigger system with lots of related opportunities for those who want to take one path or another. Medical transcription, unfortunately, has always been one small basket. Sure, there was an option to go into QA, but that is still just producing a transcribed medical report, and there is no money in it either, just stress and disrespect from MTSOs. There are no compartments in that basket. Just one task that must be completed, the transformation of dictated medical information to the medical record.

It sounds like you have found a good career that makes you happy. Do they not have a forum for people who work in that field who enjoy talking about how great it is? I am only asking because you say that you are no longer a medical transcription and you are not a medical coder, but still you are here giving advice to those who are one or both of those. It isn't clear to many of us why you want to do that. It is okay, of course, because you must be getting something from it, but what reward are you getting from discouraging someone else from their personal choice of a coding career. You made a different choice, and good for you! Let others be free to make their own decisions.

Oh, and about that economy, it is looking pretty good from here. I have not seen any coding layoffs. In fact, employers are desperate for qualified coders. You should probably be recommending it to all your friends, but I doubt that you will, because coding is not the choice you made and you want it to be a poor choice for others as well.
Since you asked - Not as arrogant as you
[ In Reply To ..]
As an MT for 30+ years and a graduate of a coding program I think I have a right to share. I work in HIM, and if you know a forum for people who work in medical records but are not coders or MTs, please provide the link. I went into QA on site for one employer. I'm paid well and get respect. I didn't like coding and because a person did MT, coding is not necessarily a good fit. I would never discourage anyone from doing what they want, but I get the impression that anyone who chooses not to code must have some kind of personality flaw. If someone chooses a school that doesn't provide the best education, it doesn't mean they are stupid, it means they made a mistake. That CCS/CPC certification that you tell people is a piece of cake? Well, that is just wrong. All of my MT friends found non-coding jobs. One of them worked in compliance and left, couldn't wait to get out, actually. No, I don't recommend coding to anyone, the people I know like to think for themselves.
No one is denying your right to think for yourself. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
No one is denying your right to think for yourself. We just object to you coming here to deny US the right to express OUR opinions.

No one here ever said coding is a good fit for everyone. You seem to be an example of that.

You can rationalize your poor choices to make yourself feel better, but the fact is that your situation is the result of those poor choices. It is not anything intrinsic to coding. Coding did not do it to you ... YOU did it to you.

We told you not to take a cheap, inadequate course. We told you exactly what would happen, and it did happen.

Your continual blaming of us is nothing more than oppositional, high-conflict behavior. It is sour grapes.

Please excuse me now while I go get ready for work, where I make $36/hr.

Similar Messages:

What I Just Realized...
Jan 30, 2014

When the hospital I worked for in-house told me they were going with mm and there was a position with mm if I wanted it, they said at least I'd be guaranteed work. I sure needed that laugh today. <--laughing so hard I'm crying! ...

Has Anyone Else Realized That Since Our Pay Has Gone Down So Much.....
Mar 11, 2014

.... that when/if we retire, out Social Security benefits will be less than what we would be getting had we kept our previous salaries for x more years?  I just realized this and it REALLY sucks!  Just one more charge against them.... ...

You Know, I Just Realized Something....
Jun 09, 2014

I really do not like being a negative person, but just tonight I realized how this profession has changed me.   I used to be a happy, upbeat person and now I find myself becoming fatigued, negative and bitter.  It's like being in an unhappy marriage :(  I have no faith in companies doing the right thing anymore or treating people like they are people and rewarding people who are conscienous about their job with raises.  I don't like giving this profession this ...

Just Realized
Nov 12, 2014

30 years ago today.  I had my own office and my own set of doctors.  Everyone was so kind and helpful that day.  Fast forward 30 years and I feel like a total failure, making probably about as much as I did that day.  All of my non-MT friends have retired and have lake property.  Wow, I sure made a wrong turn! ...

Just Realized What I Really Hate About ASR.
Jul 14, 2010

I was just chatting with someone about transcription and ASR (it's been about 3 months since we switched) and it came to me what my biggest problem with it is.  We have no control over it.  With regular transcription, we are only limited by the quality of the dictation the sound.  The harder we work at perfecting our typing skills and our system of word expansions, etc., the faster we can work.  I spent 3 years getting to where there are very few words longer then 4 lett ...

One Thing I Have Realized About ASR
Aug 09, 2012

My mind can wander and zone out because it's like listening to somebody read you the same story all day long!  When I actually had to think while typing--how to minimize my keystrokes for maximum output--it kept me more alert and "tuned in." ...

Never Realized How Bad Cherrypicking Is
Jan 14, 2014

Just the other day I was given better access to Fluency Manager.  I used to only see US work in my region.  Now, I can see it all.  Anyway, I saw a stat job in the backlog that was almost going late and with the low amount of work, it really should have been typed by then.  Out of curiosity, I checked the Job Audit on it through manager.  This job was discarded a total of 6 times by 3 different MTs.  Two of them did it once, and one did it 4 times.  These were ...

Wow! Just Realized I Work For Ebenezer Scrooge!
Dec 03, 2014

We might as well laugh instead of crying as we send out our resume ...

I Started To Apply At M*Modal Then Realized It Was MQ. I Escaped From There 2 Yrs Ago.nm
Sep 23, 2012

TRUTH
May 07, 2010

After weeks and weeks of research, and reading tons of forums and reviews, speaking to advisors at on-line colleges, receiving multiple packets by mail, etc.....   I believe Career Step's medical coding program or AHIMA would be the BEST possible option for anyone trying to break into this field from home, learning at their own pace and the best affordability. Please does anyone here beg to differ?  I am looking for constructive criticism as well as any positives on these two o ...

I Really Need The Truth!
Apr 10, 2014

Hey Everyone!  I'm sure these questions have been asked a thousand times but I'm unsure of how to navigate this forum to find answers.  So here's the skinny. I'm a recent graduate of Cometology school and I'm having a very hard time finding employment due to my own poor timing.  We are military and my husband is due for orders in about 8 months.  So I've been looking into Medical Transcription and Editing with hopes that I would be able to take m ...

Do Not Know If This Is Absolute Truth Or Not, But
Nov 17, 2009

I heard they were laying off some people due to changing over to VR and the need for fewer MTs.  I expect that is the way things are going to head these days.  Headin' South myself! ...

Now The Truth About Those Not Notified.
Mar 21, 2014

Just got an email that said I was put on a wait list.  I will know by close of day on Wednesday if I got a slot.   ...

Why To Tell The Truth About Nuance
May 23, 2014

For those of us who have found ourselves as Nuance employees by virtue of company buyouts, hospital outsourcing, or something other than traditional methods of job hunting, we have all suffered a major life loss, loss of income, loss of security, loss of self-esteem, loss of pride in work, and on and on and on.  And, certainly in my case, representatives of Nuance told half-truths, made promises that could never be achieved, and decieved me, leading me into a miserable situation. There is ...

The Truth About The Swap Board
Apr 05, 2010

I used Schedule Source for about a year when they were testing it.  It's one of those "benefits" they keep talking about.  The problem is, if you swap you will be in somebody else's cesspool - getting unfamiliar accounts for which you have to read maybe multiple  CPs and get reports where you may have to leave QA markers and spend extra time researching.  It's also a mechanism for MTs to dump shifts where they know they will get a specific crummy account/dictat ...

At Last!! Transcend Tells The Truth.
Jun 01, 2010

Now we know how they feel about us with their new and exciting contest -  Biggest LOSER contest.  (Of course a correction was sent out so it now reads biggest producer, but the first e-mail tells it all.) This is another sucker game to try to get everyone to work longer and harder to make their horrible program sound like it works, but it that suxs no matter how you look at it.  Of course, we all know the winners before it even starts since there are a few low class trashy team le ...

Finally Truth Be Told
Jan 02, 2011

Saw this in an online article on how to work at home: Fast typer? Become a transcriber.Anyone with solid typing experience—legal secretaries, executive assistants or simply those with quick fingers—can work from home as a transcriber. Some companies offer very specific work (such as transcribing legal documents only), while others pair you with assignments that match your expertise and job background. Salary: Payment is by page or an hourly rate; approximately $10 per hour. For more ...

THE TRUTH ABOUT KS TIME CLOCK AND OT
Oct 04, 2011

The truth is KS is being sued for not paying overtime.  KS does not have time records and that is why it is being implemented now.  I myself know overtime pay was not offered for anyone taking extra hours on my account.  I also have e-mails to that effect.  KS has not always paid overtime and if it was given it was to a select few or favorites.  At one time gift cards were being given in lieu of overtime on certain accounts, which does not make up for the overtime m ...

The Truth About Nuance Pay Rates.
Dec 12, 2011

The taped call has been released and while the information about the pay rate was not entirely inaccurate, it left out the rest of the story. Graduate/Radiology 0.0750/0.0375 (0.0425 on some platforms) Clinic 0.08/0.04 (0.0850/0.0450 on some platforms) Acute 0.0850/0.0413 (0.0875/0.0463 on some platforms) Incentive is based on QA/QC and production (tiered production and 99% which is what I was told when I was hired) but is biweekly instead of quarterly.    ...

The TRUTH About Precyse Solutions - STAY AWAY!
Aug 24, 2011

Actually, several truths about Precyse that current or prospective employees should be aware of: 1.  Recently, an entire group of employees was laid off who had been there for years and had been great employees.  I was one of these people.  The official company line is something like "Processes have become so efficient that we no longer need nearly as much staffing as we have had in the past."  The truth is that the company is pushing to move all work over 2 hour TAT to Indi ...

Is There Any Truth To A No-hire Black List?
Mar 19, 2014

I have worked for 20+ years with two companies and had good reviews and made good money.  No problems with meeting production.  Left one of the big 2 companies last January after pay cuts, nothing nasty, I just kindly and sincerely expressed my opinion why I was leaving.  Since then I've applied with 3 or 4 other companies, was told by one I was on *do not hire list*, but was never given a reason why.  Is there something I can do here?  I'm a good employee and ...

Brave AndyPudenda---thanks For Saying The Truth, Even Though It Hurts. Then We Know We Are Not Alon
May 30, 2011

One can feel so beaten up and degraded.  So much to know and for so little pay.  Doc's get things to go faster and their pay is not cut.  Difficult dictators don't have to take a pay cut, yet we get a cut in production and a cut in QA if we don't understand them.    Are the  docs even aware of Account Specifics?  If transcription departments are not in-house any longer, who is making the picky rules?  If you cannot put qhs, then why doesn� ...

I Would Love To Start A Website Dedicated To The Truth Of
Feb 16, 2012

I have the knowhow, just not the creativity.  Although I'm just probably being hopeful/optimistic, I think if more regular folks know where there medical records are going, the errors that are allowed to get by, and who sees all their personal information, that things would change.    In reality, I know this would not make a smidge of difference.  Everything is controlled by corporations with no standards and money these days.  They all have enough money to just w ...

For All Potential Candidates. Truth In Recruitment Advertising
Apr 01, 2015

Nuance is first and foremost a software company that depends upon poorly paid MTs to do the work of software engineers to perfect speech recognition software. By pretending to be a legitimate MTSO, they can recruit innocent MTs straight out of school who have no expectations of being self-sufficient any time soon. They use you, though, until the speech wreck is in passable condition for front-end EHR or shipment off to India. Once this occurs, usually 6 to 8 weeks after acquisition of the accoun ...

Email From Career Step (MT School): Truth Or Fiction?
Oct 16, 2012

I've been considering getting into the MT field, and I emailed my Career Step academic advisor last week to ask him what he thought about the future of MT.  Here was his response: ********** Thanks for the email.  I understand your concern about the future of the industry.  The rumors that Medical Transcription is going to be phased out in the future are not new.  We’ve been hearing such talk for over 20 years now, and the opposite has proven true thus far.& ...

No-win Situation
Nov 22, 2010

I've been a transcriptionist for 29 years, the last 14 of which have been working from home.  My husband used to always carry me on his insurance but he lost his job (the plant closed down where he worked) and he has subsequently gone on disability.  He's 62, and is soon to be on Medicare.  I need insurance in a bad way, but I've tried and I just can't maintain 150 lines an hour.  I manage between 125-150.  I think holding us to a quota like ...

Bad, Bad Situation
Dec 23, 2012

I expect to get flamed or slammed here, but I have a question. Is there anyone else on this board that works for the measily 7 cpl for straight typing and if so, how in heck do you survive? I am a pretty fast typist and I use a word expander, but I find it almost impossible to make any kind of a living from this now. The last MTSO I worked for the hospital decided to go with the Q and I did find another MTSO to work for, but for 30% less than what I was making before. I have been an MT for 1 ...

NJA Situation
Jul 19, 2013

What are the jobs like today in other regions- Strategic is currently zero! Going to relax and enjoy my morning for now. Yesterday was zero also.  ...

What Do You Do In This Situation?
Sep 16, 2013

Doc is dictating and it makes Zero sense. There are several "sentences" where the words in no way, shape, or form make anything close to a formed thought. And just continues rambling. Do you all leave it word for word? not that I can remotely find a way to make it make sense, just curious and really frustrated. ...

OOW Situation - ??
Jun 10, 2015

Paycheck Friday will be almost 200 short.  Anyone's TSM giving them any input?  I doubt they are going to say --- QC now in the pool with you, but... We have lost no accounts, TSM says there have been no new hires in our group.  (like I believe everything I am told...) Tired of this crap. Would love to apply at WalMart but right now all the college kids are hired on.  Maybe after school starts, but in the meantime I am going to have to be a (&*^%*^ and steal wo ...