A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

How to fix space after hyphen "38 - year-old" - Mary

Posted: Oct 27, 2009

on my autocorrect, I have  "yo" to correct to "-year-old" but there is always a space after the first hyphen, such as "38 -year-old", which I have to fix constantly. Help please, and TIA :)

Try it like this ...sm - elaine

[ In Reply To ..]
I have "yo" to correct to "year-old" (note: no initial hyphen in "year-old").

Thus, I type "38-yo" and end up with 38-year-old without a space before or after the first hyphen.

Hope that helps.

Thanks - it works :) - Mary

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks - it works! I must have had my tunnel vision glasses on. Don't know why I didn't think of that. Again, thanks for your help.

I just put :yo and in the with box put -year-old - the : is faster for me to hit than -

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

But you have to hit an extra key (shift) to get the colon. How is that faster? - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

In Word 2000 thru 2007, enter -year-old in the With box and (sm) - Cheryl

[ In Reply To ..]
precede your abbreviation (such as yo) in the Replace box with a semicolon. Type 4;yo to expand. The semicolon backs up and replaces the default space AutoCorrect inserts. You can use other punctuation marks, but the semicolon keeps your fingers on the home row keys.

This is how I do it, too; just like you... - I learned it from this site, too! NM

[ In Reply To ..]
:)

Similar Messages:

One Word, Hyphen, Or Space?
Jul 02, 2010

Diagnosed with tachycardia, atherosclerotic heart disease, post angioplasty..... Is post angioplasty correct or should it be one word????  I have also found it with a hyphen so any help would be appreciated. Thanks ...

Shorthand - Not To Leave A Space After A Hyphen When Typing An Expansion?
May 12, 2011

Hi all.  I would like to know what the best way is to not leave a space after a hyphen when typing an expansion, such as 2-centimeter, etc.  I know the formula to make it backspace once, such as with my expansion for -year-old, but thought there might be a better way for this one that I'm not thinking of?  Like a way that would work with any hyphen-word combo? Thanks!   ...

Pt Has A "several Year" History Of A Slowly-growing Mass. Hyphen Several Year?
Jan 25, 2011

? ...

Pea Brain Resident, Telling Me Comma, Space, Space,
Feb 15, 2011

Really, shouldn't he be more concerned about the content of the report rather than telling me where to put periods and commas and spaces.  You know I just never would have figured that one out without him! ...

Help, Double Space But I Want Single Space
Jul 08, 2014

I am transcribing in MS Office Word and using Medrite XL.  I hit enter and it automatically double spaces.  Don't know why that started but I need single space.  What do I do? ...

Non-ossified To Hyphen Or Not To Hyphen?
Oct 21, 2010

Is non-ossified hyphenated? ...

Re- Words? To Hyphen Or Not To Hyphen?
Oct 25, 2010

Some "re" words seem to be pretty well used, such as "readmission" not "re-admission" or "replaced" not "re-placed" but how do you tell when to add the hyphen? I've come across "reexploration" and it doesn't seem right without the hyphen, but I can't find any references that support it either with the hyphen or without. ...

How Would You Type: For The Past Year-year And A Half?
Sep 09, 2011

.. ...

Year Old Versus Year-old
Aug 28, 2014

If no noun following such as female or male should this be hyphenated, i.e. if stated "A 10 year old has stomachache".... should it be "A 10-year-old has stomachache" ..... ...

To Hyphen Or?
Oct 21, 2009

The sentence is " Two and a half years ago she had knee replacement." Should the two and a half be hyphenated? I never know how to write that. Or, should I rearrange the sentence to " She has knee replacement 2.5 years ago." ...

Hyphen?
Dec 02, 2010

three-days post or three days post???? ...

Hyphen Help!
Mar 21, 2011

Sorry don't see a grammar board to post this on at the moment, so posting here. How would you transcribe the bolded phrase? "She does have a small central tear which, again, is likely from an acute on chronic-type/acute-on-chronic-type? injury from work."  Thanks in advance!! ...

Hyphen Help Please....
Dec 19, 2011

What is the proper way to hypenate non-weight-bearing? I have found it several ways, just started working for a new company and their dictionary spell check has no hypens at all in it...I sooooo hate hyphens. Thanks in advance for the imput :) ...

Hyphen Or Not?
Mar 20, 2014

The patient is cancer-free.  The patient is cancer free.  The patient is pain-free.  The patient is pain free.  ???? ...

Is There A Space Between The Q. And The A.m. In Q.a.m.
Dec 16, 2009

nm.  I am new to MQ but all my 30 years, I have never seen q. a.m.  Is this in the BOS? ...

A (space) LOT
Jun 19, 2014

Maybe I am hoping and praying to get banned, but ALOT is NOT a word. Why oh why do I see it repeatedly on these boards? I understand that internet "speech" is relaxed but I just can't stand it. Moderators - feel free to ban me and put me out of my misery - please and thank you:) ...

Hyphen Woes...
Jan 21, 2010

Is it well-healed incision or well healed incision? Is it right hand dominant or right-hand dominant? how do i know when to put in a hyphen? i never used to use many hyphens, and all of a sudden QA has started noticing!! ...

Hyphen Is ER/PR Positive?
Feb 08, 2010

Is it ER/PR-positive with the hyphen or ER/PR positive without the hyphen?  I can't ever figure this out. ...

S/l Hyphen Budding?
Feb 15, 2010

Patient with a rash.... sounds like "KOH exam shows positive hyphen budding" does that sound right? thanks for any help! ...

Hyphen Usage Or Not
Nov 22, 2010

I am transcribing a report for orthopedic surgery. What is the correct way to transcribe chondromalacia grading? Is it grage 1 to 2 or grade 1-2 changes? I have myself confused as teachers always said in school that you use "to or through with numbers.  Thanks ...

Hyphen Question..
Dec 23, 2010

straight-leg raise power, or straight-leg-raise power? any help appreciated ...

Hyphen? 2-3-mm Calculus?
Mar 26, 2011

If using AAMT Second ed,  how would you hyphenate  2-3 mm calculus?  Thanks ...

AutoCorrect Hyphen
Mar 24, 2011

How do I create a hyphen for my age macro in AutoCorrect. I need to have a macro formatted as -year-old. I have Word 2007. Thank you so much! ...

Space And Time?
Jan 13, 2010

She has now has lesions in space and time and therefore does has multiple sclerosis. ...

Navasi Space
Jun 05, 2010

Shoulder surgery:  In order to shuttle the sutures for this procedure we did place a spinal needle through _____ space superiorly.    Sounds like Navasi ...

Middle AIR Space Or Middle EAR Space?
Jan 31, 2011

Doc is doing the admit note on a child to put in PE tubes.  Is it "effusion in middle ear space or middle air space"????  Thanks! ...

Desk Space
Feb 10, 2011

Those of you that have two (or more) computers, personal and a company provided one and limited space, what kind of desk set-up do you have?  ...

One Space After Punctuation
Jan 24, 2013

Why would a transcription company you are working for ask you to only put one space after puncutation, like a period?  To cut down on your lines?  ...

One Space After Period Now
Mar 01, 2013

I love how they advertise that they pay for spaces, yet now (after the eBTXT conversion) the drafts are coming in with 1 space after periods.  It looks all run together, of course, not to mention making it more difficult to read as you're editing. ...

S/l Cardia Space
Aug 13, 2013

He says it twice.  It sounds like cardia.  I've heard it before a long time ago, but cannot find it. He says: X-rays of the ankle are reviewed.  Os trigonum noted, but his ___ spacing and alignment are well maintained.  His knee films show excellent bone quality, good _____ space maintenance.  TIA ...