A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Question about QA marking ISR expansion - as an error

Posted: Sep 16, 2013

Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen. I got 0.25 taken off for the dictator having dictated "temp" and the report having "temperature." Had I typed it from scratch I would have typed temp, but the ISR did it and it said "temperature," so I did not change it.

Are we actually supposed to shorten the expansions perpetrated by the ISR?

Now if the ISR expands BPH to benign prostatic hypertrophy I know to change it back to BPH (I have actually come across this - you think they would make it clear to the ISR not to do that since the expansion, being ambiguous, should never be in there, right? Like they can make it clear to us and take points off us, but not put it into the ISR?).

But are we supposed to shorten expansions that result in no further clarity, and in fact cost us time and result in less characters per line? Seems a bit cruel and unusual punishment, frankly.

Your account specs must say that - DZ

[ In Reply To ..]
Mine says the opposite and I've been marked off for that.

The specs say - verbatim

[ In Reply To ..]
However, they don't say you have to change the ISR to the contraction or brief form. I have queried this and as yet received no response.

I think if it is the case we are responsible for changing the ISR output from expansions it has done to the brief form as dictated it should be stated clearly in the specs.

It just seems to not affect the "integrity of the document" which his supposedly the big reason for all this excess QA scrutiny. Gah.

I mean - "is" supposedly

[ In Reply To ..]
whoops.

"Had I typed it from scratch I would have typed temp" - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
If the account is verbatim, and the dictator said temp, and you would have typed temp, but the engine typed temperature - then yes, you should have changed it to temp.

I have not heard back - from QA yet

[ In Reply To ..]
Are you QA? Perhaps you are correct, but I would like to have it spelled out in the specs and maybe with a little justification why? I personally don't feel it should have to be changed, verbatim or not.

Would a doctor care if they said temp and it came out temperature? I think not. Does it in any way affect the integrity of the report? I think not.

It is just a way for this new crappy QA garbage to get points off the MTs and it is overediting IMHO.

We have had enough cuts to our pay, now we need to change this kind of thing that is not wrong and should not need changing?

BTW I have been told we should NOT correct - the ISR expansions

[ In Reply To ..]
Back to the short forms simply because they were dictated that way. So apparently my thought that this was just overediting (or over QA'ing) was correct.

Similar Messages:

Surgery Marking Pen
Jan 26, 2010

Hard to understand doc is performing a mastectomy with what sounds like a "ski margin pen".  Any idea of what kind of marker pen he is using? ...

How Are YOU Marking The End Of Your MT Career?
Feb 09, 2012

Yes, joyfully, I am getting OUT.  Big transition.  But, I'm realizing - it's a milestone - and I feel the need to mark it in some way, or commemorate it, or honor it, or SOMETHING.  You know, (humor alert) a fake funeral where I bury my work computer, or get a trinket for a charm bracelet - I'm not coming up with any good ideas. Anyone else getting out, marking this milestone in some way? ...

Breast Tumor Marking
Oct 30, 2009

The area had been previously injected by radiology with s/l "thicknitian sufrakyloid."   This is regarding an excision of a breast tumor.   Thanks. ...

EMDAT - CTRL Q Goes To QA But I Cannot Find Anything On Marking Blanks
May 10, 2010

Hello!  I am about to test for a company that uses EMDAT (have not used this software in some time.  I am wondering how do you mark a blank.   The rest I think will come back to me.  I know CTRL Q goes to QA but I cannot find anything on marking blanks. TIA. ...

BPH Expansion
Nov 26, 2010

Is there a preferred expansion for BPH?  ...

Look Out For BPH Expansion
Mar 02, 2014

I almost got caught just now, dictated as BPH, expanded BY THE SPEECH ENGINE to benign prostatic hypertrophy. Guess what happens when they catch that? I would get marked off because BPH can be either benign prostatic hypertrophy or benign prostatic hyperplasia, right? Ridiculous. Can't they teach the speech engine not to expand things when they have set the rule not to? Sometimes I have to wonder if they sit around trying to figure out ways to get us, really. ...

Regarding IT Expansion Program
Sep 22, 2010

Does anyone here that uses IT have problems with capitalizations after periods in ASR?  I know it was always an issue with ASR and even with docqscribe expander, but not sure if using IT would capitaliize the first letter after the period.  TIA ...

Word Expansion
Sep 27, 2010

Can anyone point me to a list for good word expansion ideas?  I would like to get my line count up as high as possible and I know the more I expand, less i type, more money I make.  Is there a list out there that can help me with the basic stuff I should start with besides the obvious hpi, pe, report headings, etc...   Thank you so much. ...

Best Expansion Program
Nov 30, 2011

I've been out of transcription for a couple of years and wonder what the most popular expansion program is now.   I loved PRD before it expired years ago.  More recently used Abbreviate for it's ability to provide formatted text (bold print, etc) in the short forms so an entire H&P format could be saved.  Is that still on the market?  I'm not sure if Abbreviate is still on the market.  Any suggestions for current programs.  Thanks m ...

Need Expansion For SARS
Dec 11, 2012

Dictator says, "brought in by SARS" and I don't know what the expansion should be, but it's obviously not the respiratory condition, more like an emergency response team of some kind? Please give input. Thanks. ...

Expansion Keys
Aug 11, 2014

Anyone else missing ALL their expansions other than headings????  I expected nothing less than what's happening today with this transition.  So frickin' typical. ...

About Word Expansion - This May Seem A Little Crazy, But
Jan 20, 2010

does anyone else have favorite abbreviations they just love using?  I noticed yesterday when I typed my expansion for 4th-5th webspace (45ws), I actually got a rush- my heart sped up and I felt like "gee that was fun!"  I have a few more that just make my fingers feel good and get a kick out of using.  I'm not a newbie - I've been doing this for twenty years.  Do I just lilke my work too much?  It's these little things that make whole days of typing stuff ...

Shorthand Expansion Program
Dec 14, 2010

I have the Shorthand expansion program.  Sometimes it will put a space between the first and second letters of the expansion.  Not all the time, but often.  Is there any way to correct this?   Thank you ...

Word Expansion Software In DQS
Mar 29, 2011

Hello, I am going to be using DocQscribe (sp?) soon and I want to know if I will be able to use my Shorthand 10 word expansion software with it.  I have been using Shorthand 10 for years and it is second nature now.  I can't imagine working without it. Thanks! ...

CBay Expansion Drive
Dec 02, 2011

Happened to read the following in Cbay's facebook page.  Hope I don't lose my account.....this time... http://www.facebook.com/CBaySytems?sk=wall   CBaySystems' Coimbatore office will embark on a recruitment drive to appoint MTs, QAs (office based) and HBTs. They will be looking for talents from Trivandrum, Kochi and Chennai. The recruitment drive will be held on the 27th and 28th November in the following hotels. Trivandrum - Hotel Horizon, Kochi - Hotel Presidency, ...

Anyone Using ShortCut Expansion Program?
Jun 11, 2012

I've used the ShortCut expansion program for 13 years so I'd hate to have to change now, but I'm having a problem with my expansions popping out ever since I installed Word 2010.  They actually come out in slow motion, so slowly that I have a paragraph typed and only two or so words will be expanded.  Is anyone aware of a problem with Word 2010, or if you use the ShortCut program, are you aware if an update is needed?  I do recall needing an update of some sort whe ...

Word Expansion Question
Aug 18, 2012

Can anyone tell me if there is another word expansion program that will work in Bayscribe? Either my keyboard is not as sensitive, or that program is just a little slower than ones I have previously used. It seems I am having to hit the spacebar a couple of times to get words to expand, but sometimes this does not always work. I have used Instant Text before, but need to know if others will also work. any suggestions? Thanks! psw ...

Question About Expansion File
Mar 16, 2015

I thought my expansion file was unique to me.  For some time, I have questioned about expansions being in there that I know I did NOT put in there.  I did not think we shared our expansion file.  HMMM. ...

Question Of Word Expansion Software
Sep 21, 2010

Hi all, I have gotten a different computer and now have Word 7 on here as opposed to 2000.  What would be a good expansion program to cut back on keystrokes?  The techs where I work can only my dictionary compatible if I use the F3 key which is really inconvenient.  Is there another program that might be compatible with using either the space bar or enter key? ...

New To ShortHand, Problem With -year-old Expansion
Sep 27, 2011

I used to use AutoCorrect in DQS, and when I put in 72yo, it came out 72-year-old.  With ShortHand, it does not expand, I assume because the 72 is attached to the yo and the computer therefore doesn't read yo by itself and therefore does not expand.  Can someone tell me how to enter this into my ShortHand dictionary so that whenever I enter a number plus yo, it expands to XX-year-old?  Sorry for my ShortHand newbieness, and thanks in advance.     ...

Stedman's Smartype Expansion Software ?
Feb 07, 2013

I am trying a 30 day free version of Smartype.  I used Stedman's in the past and loved it and now they have a new version of it.  Does anyone use this?  I am trying to get it to work but every time I enter a space to autocomplete a word, it enters a space wherever I press the space bar, even mid-word.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. ...

Cheap (or Free) Expansion Program?
Apr 25, 2014

I work full time for a company where I am on a platform with a built in expander program, but I recently started picking up jobs for a friend's company when she gets too busy and her staff can't keep up with it. All of the work there is done on Word and would be so much easier if I had an expansion program. The problem is, I don't want to pay $150 for a program that I only will use once or twice a month at most. Does anyone know of a program that is really cheap or free?  ...

Word Expansion Software Troubles
Apr 26, 2014

I have been using this possibly little-known word expansion program (Shortcut for Windows) for years now and have umpteen thousand macros in it.  I just bought a new computer and used the disc to install the program on it, but I can't get it work in Word like it did on my old computer.  I tried googling "Shortcut for Windows" to try to get in touch with the company that made the program but no luck.  Probably went out of business.  Has anyone else heard of this company o ...

6.1 Upgrade Personalized Expansion File Lost
Sep 07, 2010

Hopefully somebody knows the answer to this question. When I did the 6.1 upgrade, none of my personal expansions were transferred. Is there a way to find that old file and copy it to the new upgrade? ...

DQS 7.1 Autocap Question With Single Letter Expansion
Sep 24, 2012

Just started 7.1 today.  I believe this has already been addressed, but I cannot find it on here. With autocap enabled, my expansions with a single letter, such as "t" for "the" and "r" for "right" capitalized the whole word.  Any fixes for that??? ...

Shorthand - Not To Leave A Space After A Hyphen When Typing An Expansion?
May 12, 2011

Hi all.  I would like to know what the best way is to not leave a space after a hyphen when typing an expansion, such as 2-centimeter, etc.  I know the formula to make it backspace once, such as with my expansion for -year-old, but thought there might be a better way for this one that I'm not thinking of?  Like a way that would work with any hyphen-word combo? Thanks!   ...

MR Arthrogram With S/l "marcaine Challange" Marking Challange?? Anyone?
Aug 04, 2014

Proper Expansion Of "sed Rate"
May 10, 2011

I was looking for confirmation on "sed rate" - the doc dictates it just like that. Wanted to make sure that was okay to leave it as such OR if the new BOS (i have yet to upgrade) recommends it should be expanded to "sedimentation rate." ...