A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Cheap (or free) expansion program? - mimtt

Posted: Apr 25, 2014

I work full time for a company where I am on a platform with a built in expander program, but I recently started picking up jobs for a friend's company when she gets too busy and her staff can't keep up with it. All of the work there is done on Word and would be so much easier if I had an expansion program. The problem is, I don't want to pay $150 for a program that I only will use once or twice a month at most. Does anyone know of a program that is really cheap or free? 

If you are working in Word - xx

[ In Reply To ..]
You can just use autocorrect.

Just use Word's autocorrect, like above poster suggested... - mimi

[ In Reply To ..]
That is all I have ever used, it works great for me and I'm up with co-workers as far as speed.

Shorthand is $29.99/year or roughly 8 cents per day. - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been using it for years. Love it. you can download a free trial at www.pcshorthand.com

Just got the trial for Shorthand - mimtt

[ In Reply To ..]
I used to have Shorthand10 and when we had to get a new computer I wasn't needing an expander program anymore so I didn't buy another license ($150 for a non-expiring license, but only for 1 computer, not transferrable). I didn't realize they had a 1-year option too. That'she much more affordable. I just got the 30 day trial and I'll probably get that when it gets close to expiring. Thanks for telling me about it!

Similar Messages:

Free Or Cheap Line Count Program Needed
Jun 11, 2011

does any one know of a simple to use free or at least cheap line count program? ...

Cheap (preferably Free) Virus Protection
Apr 22, 2013

For my personal computer, don't do MT on it.  Do buy Norton for the one I work on.  Any suggestions? ...

Regarding IT Expansion Program
Sep 22, 2010

Does anyone here that uses IT have problems with capitalizations after periods in ASR?  I know it was always an issue with ASR and even with docqscribe expander, but not sure if using IT would capitaliize the first letter after the period.  TIA ...

Best Expansion Program
Nov 30, 2011

I've been out of transcription for a couple of years and wonder what the most popular expansion program is now.   I loved PRD before it expired years ago.  More recently used Abbreviate for it's ability to provide formatted text (bold print, etc) in the short forms so an entire H&P format could be saved.  Is that still on the market?  I'm not sure if Abbreviate is still on the market.  Any suggestions for current programs.  Thanks m ...

Shorthand Expansion Program
Dec 14, 2010

I have the Shorthand expansion program.  Sometimes it will put a space between the first and second letters of the expansion.  Not all the time, but often.  Is there any way to correct this?   Thank you ...

Anyone Using ShortCut Expansion Program?
Jun 11, 2012

I've used the ShortCut expansion program for 13 years so I'd hate to have to change now, but I'm having a problem with my expansions popping out ever since I installed Word 2010.  They actually come out in slow motion, so slowly that I have a paragraph typed and only two or so words will be expanded.  Is anyone aware of a problem with Word 2010, or if you use the ShortCut program, are you aware if an update is needed?  I do recall needing an update of some sort whe ...

Free Fax Program
Mar 19, 2010

Are there any free fax software programs? ...

Line Count Program Free?
Apr 30, 2012

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good FREE line count program? ...

Can Anyone Recommend A FREE Antivirus Program Or Even ... SM
Jan 31, 2014

a free-trial antivirus?  My current one is expiring very shortly & I cannot afford what they're asking just right now. Some anti-virus programs will advertise FREE when you google them, then will require  you to pay up front.  Some will let you upload them and "Save" them, but then won't open or work when you try.  Will appreciate any advice.  Thx.   ...

Anyone Use A Free Medical Dictionary Software Program?
Dec 22, 2014

Hello all.  I am wondering if anyone uses a free medical dictionary software and would be willing to share the name.  Thanks! ...

Mmodal--cheap
May 29, 2012

Too bad MModal is too cheap to send us out hard copies of everything we need to know rather than having us use our own ink to print everything.  And why should we have to watch a video to learn how to use Remedy?  Who has time for that?  If we watch the video, then we get criticized for the time spent not working!  We just can't win. ...

How Can I Get MS Office 2003 CHEAP?
Dec 01, 2010

My new employer requires no higher than MS Office 2003, and I need to buy a computer - they all come with Office 7!  What do I do?? ...

Does Anyone Know Where To Get Foot Pedals Cheap?
Sep 21, 2011

My USB foot pedal has gone out on me. Does anyone know where to get foot pedals cheap? I could look all over the web but that could take forever! A friend told me about MooreDictation.com but I don't know if they are the cheapest. Does $48.80 sound good for an IN-USB-2 ?   ...

Need Help Finding Best Spellchecker To Download (cheap?)
Jul 11, 2011

I need to download a spellchecker today.  I have gotten recommendations for Stedmans, but it is $99.  Wondering if there is a source to download it less expensively and/or if there are recommendations for other spellcheckers available for download.  Thank you! ...

Why Don't They Pay Training Pay For Learning A New Acct, So Cheap
May 29, 2013

I got switched to another acct (not my idea) and it has 24 pages of rules and I don't get paid training pay to learn this new acct. So I went from making 450 lines per hour to 160 lines per hour so in essence, making around $6.00 an hour and the QA's gripe when you don't spend your time looking up something through the 24 pages of new acct rules.  Hey MM if you want us to spend hours looking up something before we learn the acct well then PAY US TO DO IT! CHEAP, CHEAP, C ...

Where Can I Find A GREAT (but Cheap) Ergo Keyboard?
Jun 22, 2011

I know they have sales from time to time...do any of you know of a great sale that you can share with me?  I really would love to have an ergonomic keyboard again.  I used to have a Microsoft one that I loved years ago...but sadly my son spilled pop on it and I never replaced it. Thank for letting me know! Felicia ...

Found A Great Cheap Word Expander
Nov 16, 2014

I just wanted to share.  I was looking for a good word expander that would let me copy my Word autocorrect words over into it and would be running in the background on other programs, not just Word.  I didn't have a lot of $ to spend. I found Breevy and it has worked great and is $34.95 to purchase.  You get a 30-day free trial though.  I just wanted to let you gals know.  Best wishes to all and Happy Thanksgiving ahead of time!!   ...

Are There Any Companies That Have Good Health Insurance And Fairly Cheap? Sm
Feb 03, 2011

I go to the doctor a lot and have a lot of prescriptions, so I need a company that has good health insurance, and hopefully doesn't charge a lot for it.  I used to work at OSi and was thinking about going back there, but another poster on here said their insurance is $1000 a month for family!!!  Thanks for your help!      ...

Is The CareerStep Medical Coding Program A Good Program?
Nov 22, 2010

TIA ...

BPH Expansion
Nov 26, 2010

Is there a preferred expansion for BPH?  ...

Look Out For BPH Expansion
Mar 02, 2014

I almost got caught just now, dictated as BPH, expanded BY THE SPEECH ENGINE to benign prostatic hypertrophy. Guess what happens when they catch that? I would get marked off because BPH can be either benign prostatic hypertrophy or benign prostatic hyperplasia, right? Ridiculous. Can't they teach the speech engine not to expand things when they have set the rule not to? Sometimes I have to wonder if they sit around trying to figure out ways to get us, really. ...

Pass Of Free Flow Or Passive Free Flow?
Feb 04, 2011

Negative aspiration and pass of free flow of saline into the peritoneum was observed. or is it passive free flow of saline? ...

Word Expansion
Sep 27, 2010

Can anyone point me to a list for good word expansion ideas?  I would like to get my line count up as high as possible and I know the more I expand, less i type, more money I make.  Is there a list out there that can help me with the basic stuff I should start with besides the obvious hpi, pe, report headings, etc...   Thank you so much. ...

Need Expansion For SARS
Dec 11, 2012

Dictator says, "brought in by SARS" and I don't know what the expansion should be, but it's obviously not the respiratory condition, more like an emergency response team of some kind? Please give input. Thanks. ...

Expansion Keys
Aug 11, 2014

Anyone else missing ALL their expansions other than headings????  I expected nothing less than what's happening today with this transition.  So frickin' typical. ...

About Word Expansion - This May Seem A Little Crazy, But
Jan 20, 2010

does anyone else have favorite abbreviations they just love using?  I noticed yesterday when I typed my expansion for 4th-5th webspace (45ws), I actually got a rush- my heart sped up and I felt like "gee that was fun!"  I have a few more that just make my fingers feel good and get a kick out of using.  I'm not a newbie - I've been doing this for twenty years.  Do I just lilke my work too much?  It's these little things that make whole days of typing stuff ...

Word Expansion Software In DQS
Mar 29, 2011

Hello, I am going to be using DocQscribe (sp?) soon and I want to know if I will be able to use my Shorthand 10 word expansion software with it.  I have been using Shorthand 10 for years and it is second nature now.  I can't imagine working without it. Thanks! ...

CBay Expansion Drive
Dec 02, 2011

Happened to read the following in Cbay's facebook page.  Hope I don't lose my account.....this time... http://www.facebook.com/CBaySytems?sk=wall   CBaySystems' Coimbatore office will embark on a recruitment drive to appoint MTs, QAs (office based) and HBTs. They will be looking for talents from Trivandrum, Kochi and Chennai. The recruitment drive will be held on the 27th and 28th November in the following hotels. Trivandrum - Hotel Horizon, Kochi - Hotel Presidency, ...

Word Expansion Question
Aug 18, 2012

Can anyone tell me if there is another word expansion program that will work in Bayscribe? Either my keyboard is not as sensitive, or that program is just a little slower than ones I have previously used. It seems I am having to hit the spacebar a couple of times to get words to expand, but sometimes this does not always work. I have used Instant Text before, but need to know if others will also work. any suggestions? Thanks! psw ...

Question About QA Marking ISR Expansion
Sep 16, 2013

Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen. I got 0.25 taken off for the dictator having dictated "temp" and the report having "temperature." Had I typed it from scratch I would have typed temp, but the ISR did it and it said "temperature," so I did not change it. Are we actually supposed to shorten the expansions perpetrated by the ISR? Now if the ISR expands BPH to benign prostatic hypertrophy I know to change it back to BPH (I have actually come across this - you think they would mak ...