A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I'm having a meltdown because of Nuance rules - Need advice

Posted: Feb 20, 2015

Is there anyone available to us for non-emergency questions? If we have a BOS question or a verbatim issue, is there anyone there for us?

(Yes, I received that email earlier in the week to not bother anyone. But really??)

Can you use your best judgment? nm - suggestion

[ In Reply To ..]
xxxxx

Never with Nuance - did you think they were here to help?

[ In Reply To ..]
If they allowed us to question QA and get answers before we sent them through, then how would they mark us off and get our pay lowered, silly!

What used to exist and still does with GOOD MTSOs, whereby QA was there to actually help and guide, is completely gone with Nuance. There is an artificial barrier between MT and QA - they are there to penalize us, not help us.

My guess is they will tell you to look on Enrich or download the latest specs or the Transcription Manual, depending on the question.

In other words, it's all on you, and they are waiting gleefully at the other end to find as many errors as they can with their prime goal being cutting your pay, not helping you get your pay up, for goodness sake.

I know it's hard to get used to, but eventually you realize this adversarial system suits their purposes just fine and the QA/QC don't seem to mind picking us off one bit.

Look up the QA name and try to - CINDY

[ In Reply To ..]
One time I looked up the QA names and tried to ask them a question at about 2 a.m. When I finally got one that worked on my account I asked the question that I needed to ask and low and behold they had no idea how to answer me. Funny, they know how to mark it off on the report, but if you ask them ahead of time they act like they have no idea of what you are asking. And if you send something to qa with blanks because you need the answer,they are sure to mark off something anything on that report, even if it is to do with the blanks you put there. Anytime you send something to QA it is like you are just giving them a present because they will find an extra word that you didn't put an underline for, or an extra an, if or but before the blank and mark it off. This place is the most weirdest place to ever ask for help. If you type:

The patient is _____ pain.

you need the blank filled in but if you put that "is" there and they figure out it doesn't go there, they will mark it off. So I try to not put anything in front of the blank and let them figure it out.

Similar Messages:

Equipment Meltdown - Help!
Aug 13, 2010

My headphones died on me right in the middle of a report - (ESL, lousy sound quality - great timing).  Suddenly I was hearing out of my right ear only.  In desperation I plugged in my iPod earbuds.  I need new headphones ASAP.  Any suggestions as to where I can find a decent pair, not too expensive?  I had been using the headset that I received when I took my Career Step course a couple of years ago.  Thanks! ...

MQ Central Down Now. Must Be A Meltdown Somewhere.
Mar 31, 2011

. ...

Bout Hit The Meltdown Point Today That Everybody
Apr 09, 2010

Had a clinic note wanting to use a template.  Then the resident proceeded to give me more values than I had blanks in the template.  After trying 3 different times to make it all work, I finally left QA note stating that I was clueness as to how to make it work and then hit the send button without checking the QA box and off it went straight to the client.  Nothing I have done so far today has been right.  I am stressed out today anyway for other reasons and this is about to ...

Hypen Rules
Oct 31, 2010

Is not-too-distant future hyphenated?  Thanks ...

Rules Regarding Copies
Oct 03, 2011

I had always thought that the dictator received an automatic copy but in checking the MQ rules/standards, I don't see this.   Does anyone know for sure?  Should we copy the dictator if requested?  ...

MT Rules Changes Constantly
Aug 14, 2012

Does anybody else get emails of updated account specs or just in general about how this is now changing in the MT world and things such as hyphens are being phased out, among other changes to make the document "more readable".  I wonder...all these changes to how we are supposed to do our jobs, yet the only changes to what we are paid to do our job is a negative with pays dropping instead of going up.  I say it here and I can say it so many times, if somebody can sit in an office and c ...

HIPAA Rules
Oct 08, 2013

When a consultant's office calls the referred patient, is that office allowed to say the name of their office?  Ex:  Got a call from a GI office for my husband.  The woman gave her first name and said she needed his medical hx before she could schedule an appointment.  I asked what office she was from, and she said she couldn't say because of HIPAA but that it was a referral from his PCP.  Is it true that because of HIPAA we can't even know who's ...

New Change In Rules, Again
Dec 23, 2013

used to be when we ran out of work we could chose to make up time or take PTO, this was even at Thanksgiving.  Now we get the email that after waiting 6 mins some of you are taking PTO, but now we can't do this.  Now we are supposed to flex.  So just because the "lead" lets toooooo many people off I'm supposed to just keep checking and checking, that's great, i'll just do that after cooking our dinner and watching the kids open gifts and if I get work it'l ...

Number Rules
Mar 06, 2014

I don't know what the AAMT book of style does with regards to typing out numbers such as in this sentence:  I provided this patient and her 2 daughters with education regarding her diagnosis and treatment options.  Would you use numerals for "2" daughters in this case or would you type out "two"??? ...

So Many Rules, So Little Time
Aug 31, 2014

When I think about all the things we have to do, we really are more like administrative assistants than transcriptionists.  We have so much to do.  Make sure you put DOS, if given.  Make sure you list, or don't like as per client specs, unless dictator requests ??  Go by client profile or DSQ standard.  Which one is it this day?  Okay,  NOW okay to use q.h.s., so if put q.h.s. QA marks over it and still puts bedtime.  Okay to use cc  instead of m ...

Question About HIPAA Rules
Jan 13, 2010

Couldn't we just leave a note on any report with a cc to "please verify physician name for copy" which would then take the burden off of our shoulders? Not a QA marker, but by doing Ctrl + Shift + Q. I plan on leaving a note for anything that is questionable at all, ie., only last name given, unclear, cannot verify, whatever... I am not going down with them.  Fire me for it, then I will file for unemployment and win because they cannot fire you for a doctors mistake and then I might ...

Need Clarification On Rules For Sending Cc's.. Sm
May 11, 2010

Okay, I got a ding today from my extremely sweet and helpful QATL.  It seems I did not send as a cc a requesting physician dictated.  I looked at the report and I did enter the requesting physician in the ADT and the body of the report.  I thought if they did not specifically request a cc be sent, then you did not.   Am I wrong?   Old dog needs help.  Also, I thought if the Req Physician was in the ADT it automatically received a carbon copy..  Hmmm.. ...

Klein, Cline Rules For Dvt?
May 08, 2011

D-dimer is negative, making a pulmonary embolus unlikely by _______rules?   s/l Kline, Klein, Cline rules?? ...

Sometimes Certain Rules Just Don't Make Sense
Oct 24, 2011

There are some things that don't make sense to me in regard to certain rules for companies.  At my company, when you send something to QA, you have to put a blank and the number where it is, but if we think something "sounds" like something we cannot put that in because the QA person could hear what we are hearing and not really hear what is being said.  Now, what in the heck is VR then?  Sometimes when you see text presented on screen it may sound like what you are seeing.&n ...

Questions About HIPAA Rules
Jun 15, 2012

I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge in regard to HIPAA violations and whether certain rules apply only in certain circumstances.  I had a workers comp claim and had my IME closing exam in March.  There were problems - the doctor assumed that he knew it all, didn't take any history from me and then rushed me through the exam and closed my claim.  I wasn't happy with the way the exam was conducted, and then on reading my exam report I found a number of mistakes, so ...

Mandatory OT/pay-per-line OT Rules
Jul 24, 2013

Our department was recently "onboarded" by a transcription service where we are now paid by the line.  We have had several days where we had "mandatory OT" where the boss would email and tell everyone they needed to do 1.5 hours of OT that day.  In my state, VT, the law says if you are required to work over 8 hours in a day you have to be paid OT pay.  Does anyone know how this works for pay-by-line work?  I know many of the practices of this company are questionable and ...

Current Number Rules?
Oct 11, 2013

Number rules.  I've been doing this a long time...but I just want to ask the group.  If there are no account-specific rules, is this sentence correct? "He has had 5 episodes since 08/10/2001." I think I'm correct, at least this is how I've been doing it.  What does the new BOS say?  I quit MQ/MM and don't have the current edition. Thanks ...

Abbreviations In Impression Rules
Sep 10, 2014

I know that according to AAMT we are not supposed to put abbreviations in the Impression/Diagnoses sections, but does that include ALL abbreviations?  Or just ones pertaining to diseases?  For instance, are we supposed to spell out MRI in the impression?  Or just diseases, like PUD or COPD?   I'm a bit confused because I put "MRI" in the impression and QA left that as is, but I also put "PT" and they expanded it out to "physical therapy." Does anyone know? Thanks in a ...

Don't See Anyone Here Talking About The New Rules That Have Not Even Been Instituted Yet. Sm
Dec 20, 2014

The hopeful folks....did you forget we have not even started with the new guidelines by which our work will be audited at a yet unspecified date?  You may be feeling all warm and comfy right now with your 99.9% to 100% reviews.  I would not be counting on that. I've had plenty of those, too, and regularly achieved the quarterly bonus up until recently. So, I work 25 hours, and they audited 1 report only with 1 error and I am at a tad over 98%. Meanwhile, I pended 4 jobs and that ...

Rules On Abandoning Or Breaking From Jobs??
Feb 23, 2010

Does anyone know the rules on how many jobs you're allowed to abandon or break from??  Thanks. ...

Latest Rules On How To Type Numbers
Sep 14, 2010

Can someone tell me what are the latest rules on typing numbers?  Do you type 3rd or third? Thank you!! ...

Why Do Companies Change Grammar Rules?
Oct 13, 2010

For example, if the doctor says platelets 277, then that's why you type.  Later on down the road, knock points off my score for typing 277, claiming that we are supposed to type 277,000.  Why does stuff like this ALWAYS seem to happen?  Then I get points off my score because two different QAs are telling me 2 different things.  I can't take this anymore.  The last 3 jobs I have had were like this.  I'm sick of getting yelled at and points taken off ...

SUITS MAKING RULES FOR UNDERLINGS
May 20, 2011

It is obvious that those in charge have NEVER typed a word and have no idea what transcription is all about.  They need to go on Undercover Boss and spend one day at the computer and listen to what we listen to and then tell me we need to be 99% accurate.  What a joke! ...

More Pay Cuts? New QA Rules/laws/regulations?
Dec 30, 2012

Don't you just love the communication at Nuance? Just received an Email regarding new QA rules (new hoops to jump through for bonus), so disgusted I just deleted the message. Bringing the E5 *in line with the rest of NTS*? I don't want to know how much better and faster we are all supposed to be with WHATEVER technology you push out.... I just wanta say that some of you people in management had better learn to transcribe. And WTH is the learning module "Speak Hawaiian"....what ...

Changing Grammar/punctuation Rules
Aug 07, 2013

Is there a site or forum somewhere that updates on new grammar and punctuation rules since they change from time to time? ...

Reading Some Of HIPAA's Rules This Morning
Sep 02, 2013

and noticed it was talking about a breach. This is something that happened the other day and under the new law, am I supposed to report a scenerio like this? I had a physician who told me this patient's social security number. There is no place to include that on their report, nor has it ever been with this particular company so I just heard and that was it. Would I be, as a business associate soon to be, required to inform someone about this, like ratting on this physician? ...

New Editing Platform Rules Inquiry
Oct 08, 2013

Hello, We are preparing to switch to editing and are working on a fair guidelines for the MTs.  What are the industry standards of expections for things such as correcting if a dictator says something like "laboratory studies" and the draft comes through as "laboratory data" - do you correct it or leave it?  What about things like numbers that begin a sentence?  Correct or let it go?  Any advice you can give would be appreciated.  ...

AAMT Book Of Style To Be The Set Rules For Our Transcription Department?
Jan 19, 2010

I am currently looking for a new online job.  I have been doing medical transcription for nine years now but work for a small hospital.  I do not currently have, nor does my hospital require, the AAMT book of style to be the set rules for our transcription department.  We still use q.h.s. etc.  I recently had a job interview but blew it because the company requires their MTs to know the latest AAMT book of style front and back.  Is this a big deal to know this book word for word?  Wonderin ...

If You Are Working For A Company In Another State, Do They Follow Their State Rules Or Your States?
May 12, 2010

x ...

HIPAA - Need A Quick Check On HIPAA Rules
Oct 29, 2009

Hi, I need a quick check on HIPAA rules.  With respect to the health care debate, I want to write to my senator, etc., about a situation with a patient I transcribed on.  The only info. I intend to give is that the patient was a:  Russian immigrant, on welfare and receiving Medicaid benefits--when he should not have.  He and his "sponsor(s)" was responsible for his care and living expenses.  Further, I transcribed a note in which the doctor said that this patient wanted to re-sched ...