A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

AAMT book of style to be the set rules for our transcription department? - caitejess

Posted: Jan 19, 2010

I am currently looking for a new online job.  I have been doing medical transcription for nine years now but work for a small hospital.  I do not currently have, nor does my hospital require, the AAMT book of style to be the set rules for our transcription department.  We still use q.h.s. etc.  I recently had a job interview but blew it because the company requires their MTs to know the latest AAMT book of style front and back.  Is this a big deal to know this book word for word?  Wondering if I should get it to help me find a job.

No, not necessarily. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Not all employers use the book and those that do don't necessarily use every bit of it. Even though I resisted and resented the book for years, I finally gave in and actually found it helpful in some cases. It is a reference that I would say IS good to have on hand. Though my opinion is that most will use BOS II rather than the latest 3rd version.

BOS important! All style & format answers on the World Help board are acc to BOS..nm - ,

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

not necessarily referred to her first question, - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
which was: did she need to know the BOS word-for-word? I say no. I also re-state she will not even need it for all employers, as evidenced by the one she currently works for not using it.
she needs it for "testing." No need to know it word by word! As reference!..nm..nm - .
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

you need it for taking tests and PASS..nm - .

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

AAMT - anony

[ In Reply To ..]
AAMT is good to know, as well as for people that go "by the book." I have found it helpful.

AANT - frustrated

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you all for the helpful information. I will get the book and hope to have an interview soon.

Similar Messages:

AAMT Book Of Style On MQCentral Maze??
Mar 19, 2014

Sent a new computer and I can't find AAMT Book of Style in MQCentral.  Does anyone happen to know where it is in the maze??? ...

AAMT Book Of Style - Medications Numbered And Listed?
Apr 07, 2010

According to AAMT Book of style, are medications numbered and listed?? ...

Should I Buy 2nd Or 3rd Edition Of AAMT Bk Of Style?
Nov 24, 2009

Do different medical transcription companies prefer 2nd or 3rd Book of Style? Seems as if I could buy a used 2nd edition from a website such as Amazaon cheaper than the 3rd edition, but I don't want to buy an edition that is not used by medical transcription companies. Your comments, please?  TIA- Jane ...

AAMT BOS.....CD Or Book? Which Do You Prefer And Why? Thanks. Nm
Mar 10, 2010

x ...

BOS - New Book Of Style?
Jul 16, 2012

Anyone know when they are coming out with a new Book of Style?  I am afraid to buy the 3rd edition since it is from 2008.  Thanks. ...

Anybody NOT Using 3rd Book Of Style?
May 04, 2014

Please tell where you work so I can apply there -- seriously -- sick of ridiculous QA. ...

How Many MTs Use The Book Of Style?
Nov 07, 2014

How many MTs use the Book of Style?  Am I the only one who thinks this is a total rip off just like dues to the former AAMT were?  Is not this self promotion to enrich oneself three times now and passing this propaganda off to MTSOs as the "industry standard?" I know I sure did not get a vote as to what is and what is not this so-called "industry standard" and have not used that book in years!  Poverty wages are now the "industry standard."  Who else is fed up with this load of BS? ...

AHDI BOOK OF STYLE
Aug 12, 2010

Can anyone tell me any of the new changes in the AHDI book of style. ? ...

Book Of Style Useless
Mar 16, 2011

It would seem that the AAMT/AHDI just look for ways to make money on their ole' book of style.  Changing from one term in one book, to using it differently in a second, and now the third is different from that.  What is the fourth going to do, go back to the first use.  Throw them all out. They don't know what they are doing.  Their transcription bible is useless to train from, and they charge a whole lot of money for useless. (Just a little frustrated, wouldn' ...

Book Of Style Version 3
Nov 02, 2011

I have a question for those working for a hospital as an employee in-house or at home.  I work at home for a hospital and we were told we must buy our own book of style version 3 but still expected to maintain high QA status.  There is only 1 book in-house for all to share.  I would think that the company should invest in buying each employee this book to improve production and it would be a positive move.  They refuse to do this.  I brought it up in a meeting and told t ...

Keyboard/Book Of Style
Nov 30, 2011

Thanks for the input. ...

Book Of Style Nonsense?
Jun 21, 2012

I have been working in transcription for 31 years.  What is the deal with all this Book of Style nonsence?  Doctors don't care if a comma is in the right place or not, or if a drug is capitalized or now.  They just want the correct measurements, dosages, symptoms, body part, etc. typed in the correct document on the correct patient. You ask a doctor what the Book of Style is and they would probably just give you a dumb look.  Who is making money off of this?   It's just the crazi ...

Changes In Book Of Style, 3rd Edition
Mar 05, 2014

Since I was terminated February 11, I have been reviewing some things in case I need to apply for some MT job in the future.  When I worked for M-Modal, I was supplied with Book of Style, 2nd edition.  I now have a copy of the 3rd edition, and they say some things are changed. They say changes have been made include dropping the period after courtesy titles like Dr. and Mr.  I always typed Dr. with a period in the report.  If it said patient was to follow up with Dr. Sm ...

Book Of Style - What Parts Are The Most Necessary To Bone Up On?
Jun 06, 2011

I just purchased the Book of Style.  II realize companies want you to be familiar with it, but what parts are the most necessary to bone up on?  It is a huge book.  Thaniks. ...

Book Of Style - What Is The Actual Title
Jun 08, 2011

What is the actual title of the Book of Style?  I see The Book of Style for Medical Transcription, 3rd Edition - Paperback (June 15, 2008) by Lea M. Sims and John H. Dirckx and I also see The AAMT Book of Style: A Searchable Medical Transcription Style Guide (2nd Edition) - CD-ROM (July 21, 2005) by American Association for Medical Transcription (AAMT). One is by AAMT and one is not - I am assuming the AAMT is the Book of Style everyone refers to?  I am buying this for someone and want to ...

AHDI Book Of Style 3rd Edition
Nov 11, 2011

Can anyone tell me where I can get a copy of the AHDI the cheapest, or at least under 70 bucks? Thanks! ...

AHDI Book Of Style Needed
Nov 13, 2013

I am desperately looking for 3rd edition AHDI Book of Style. I posted here versus classified hoping it would be sooner by someone who had one to get rid of quicker. Thanks in advance. ...

Copy Of The Book Of Style On Enrich?
Jan 20, 2015

Is there a copy of the book of style on Enrich? I cannot for the life of me find it. I got dinged for an omission error because at the end of a list of allergies the dictator stated "parenthesis, details of allergies are not known, end parenthesis" and since it was a stand alone sentence, I left the parentheses off.  The transcription guidelines on Enrich for parenthesis say to refer to the book of style, but I can't find a copy. Thanks! ...

Where Can I Find The Book Of Style/MM Guidelines?
May 12, 2015

x ...

Book Of Style - Word Alcohol Always Used Instead Of Ethanol?
Mar 10, 2010

Is the   What is the Book of Style preference? ...

Does M*Modal Follow AHDI Book Of Style?
Feb 08, 2013

I ask this because in my pre-employment test with M*Modal, I got dictations where they dictated the wrong punctuation and I edited it according to the AHDI Book of Style, which is one of my chief references when transcribing. I got a reply back from M*Modal saying that my results of their pre-employment test "did not match their criteria", whatever that means. I got the same reply from Acusis, another company that rejected me on the grounds that my results "didn't make the cut."  Was ...

Book Of Style 3rd Edition Versus 2nd Edition Question
May 25, 2014

I have a second edition versus a third edition Book of Style, which I cannot afford right now to buy.  Can someone help me and tell me what it saysabout putting meals/food.  This is a verbatim account and I typed what dr said but QA changed meals to food.  She left message  per BOS page 217.  This accouint I am is verbatim on samples from hospital that I noted headings were different from every MT.  I never what is right or wrong until it comes back from QA and the ...

Does Anyone Know Of Hospitals In Phoenix That Have A Transcription Department?
Aug 08, 2013

I will be relocating there soon for my husband's job and need to find another hospital or clinic transcription job. I'll wash dishes somewhere before I go back to one of the nationals after what I experienced with Nuance purchasing my wonderful company, so I'd really like to find something in a local hospital. If they let us work remote after a short training period, pretty much anywhere in Arizona would do. Feel free to send a private message if you don't any to cause a flo ...

Hospital Transcription Department To National Company
Apr 29, 2014

Is there anybody here who worked for a hospital in the transcrption department only to have their jobs yanked out from under t hem and sent to a National such as Nuance?  I know somebody who works for a local hospital and it looks like they secretly are in the process of making this move....some very strange secretive things going on that makes me wonder...... What was the  process for your hospital if this happened to you?????  I'm wondering if my suspicions are spot-on. &nb ...

Where Do I Find The Transcription Style Guide?
Apr 04, 2015

Thanks for any help. ...

Net Book For Transcription????
Dec 03, 2010

I currently use my own PC for my MT work.. but I am looking to get a new computer..  I use the express scribe program for work. I travel alot and I think it will help. pros and cons?? anyone else use one?? do you like it??   ...

AAMT/CMT
Mar 22, 2010

Where is our 'union' and seeing that all these injustices that are going on are addressed?  This profession has been sold to the devil himself.  Talk about Kathy Lee's sweat shops?  I read for no pay.  I type and look up, cross reference, research and no pay.  No breaks, no lunch, just production.  I have to calculate and make out time sheets and do my own time for no money and then when we type, the programs are calculating in a way that we have no i ...

AAMT BOS
Jul 22, 2010

After failing a test for a PT gig, I pulled out the old BOS 2 (don't have 3) and I am surprised at some of the things it is "requiring".  Like, for instance, never hypenate words that will separate them at the end of a sentence.  Now, I don't know about you, but what I type in, and what the final report looks like are completely different, so, how am I to know it will actually fall at the end of a line.  Another thing, all these dang rules, when most accounts are verbati ...

Copy Of AAMT
Jul 16, 2010

Do we still have MQ online access to AAMT?  Apparently I lost my short-cut when I changed computers.  Thanks.  ...

Abbreviations In AAMT BOS
Nov 23, 2010

HELP PLEASE!  In typing abbreviations on my account specs, it says following AAMT BOS, but the problem I am having is letters.  They are using abbreviations that I should be expanded as it is a letter, (ex. MCP).  I have read to expand these, but for the life of me I cannot find it in AAMT BOS... Any help appreciated. Thanks ...